Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To me there's a bit of an imbalance in the books between world building and character building. There's only so many times you can have a character experience the physical effects of living in space with half page long descriptions before you say "I get it already".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd roll my eyes too if they took a production photo as my mugshot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's hard to overstate how big a time jump thirty years is. That's a whole generation. Just look at how different the world is now from thirty years ago, and apply that to a setting where technology has made a quantum leap forward beyond anything we've ever seen. And yet Holden has been doing the same thing for thirty years and nothing happened in the interim?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I only watched the first half of Season 3 and stopped so I could finish reading Abaddon's Gate, and then I never got around to watching the second half apart from the splat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bloom posted:

The season is really good after the splat so you're missing out. If you don't enjoy the show in general that's fair enough, but the latter half of S3 is the best it's been so far.

Well, I have to finish Abaddon's Gate first. Kinda got sidetracked and didn't finish my reread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was rewatching parts of the tv show, and I'm wondering if the authors were in any way inspired by the Homeworld series when they were first mapping out the setting. The protomolecule monsters in the first two novels bear a pretty big similarity to the Beast from Homeworld Cataclysm.

It wouldn't be the first time Homeworld has had a major influence on another SF franchise. The reimagined Battlestar Galactica is pretty much Homeworld the TV series in terms of aesthetic and presentation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I didn't know about the RPG elements, but it does make sense given how focused on fleshing out the world the first novel is. I was wondering if there were connections to HW Cataclysm specifically, because I can see the Rocinante crew being inspired by the exploits of the Kuun-Lan and her ragtag fleet of mining ships and junkers as opposed to top of the line Hiigaran warships.

And the Homeworld/BSG comparisons go way beyond just the music. The Cylon hybrids are basically the Bentusi, being hardwired into their ships and therefore unbound from the physical plane. Hell, Campbell Lane, the voice of the Bentusi and the narrator for Homeworld, played a Hybrid in BSG: Razor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just realized that Prax was played by the guy who was Chuckles on Battlestar Galactica.

Canadian Sci-Fi actors move in small circles around Vancouver don't they? There was the episode of Star Trek disco that had a bunch of Expanse extras including Adam Jensen's VA cameo in a prison shuttle.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 11, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I read that at FrankenMoses and now I'm not sure which I'd want to see more.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Douwarté

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
*Just walking away...*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You ever get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when your brother who doesn't usually like SF starts watching the TV show, realizes that they use proper physics that tickle his NASA fascination and is now simul-watching the show and reading the books faster than you are?

Because it feels nice to have someone to talk to about the books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that coming out before or after Leviathan Falls?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best part about the show is that it is kind of a redux of the books in a way because the authors were involved and used the TV format to expand on certain characters who don't appear right away in the novels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

uber_stoat posted:

they sort of blew their Belter budget in the first episode. that lady, the guy Ava tortures, a few others.

Should have gotten Javier Botet and Doug Jones to play Belters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they get actors from the show back to do voices (sans Cas Anvar obviously)?