Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

a kitten posted:

Ah, yeah that's bad. RIP earth.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Though I think all the hullaboo about "Earth's done" isn't all it's cut out to be; according to estimates by the end of BA, half of the population was dead and half of the ones that were left were dying; something like ten percent weren't in strained conditions, which still leaves like 3 billion people doing fine and maybe 3 billion more on the edge but not in immediate danger. That's still the biggest catastrophe/genocide in human history, but by the time it levels out Earth will still be the most populated place in humanity, and likely will be for the foreseeable future thanks to the fact that the gate worlds have incompatible biology. Earth won't ever be as central as it was before, but it's not in danger of ever becoming a backwater or cleared out for good the way Mars and the Belt are. Avasarala's hamming it up for the camera, as usual.

Speaking of end-of-BA-spoilers, gently caress Marco with a rusty railgun; getting eaten by gatespace Cthulhu is too good a fate for the worst war criminal in human history.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

There's definitely a comparison to be made there: when the atomic bombs were dropped, they'd never been used in war before, and the horror of what happened when they were (combined with the swift expansion of their availability and effectiveness) has thus-far prevented further use. Dropping giant gently caress-off asteroids down a gravity well also hadn't ever been done before; I think a lot of the Belters are suggested to be pretty horrified, but also not really able to deal with the horror right now thanks to the immediate exigencies of the war.

That's part of what Holden was trying to inspire with his sappy broadcasts; people start picking up the idea and showing off the humanitarian crisis that's happened on Earth, and it's what sparks a few of the Belter characters to not be such dickheads and consider rebellion.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Nope but I'm at least reasonably certain that's one of the places all this protomolecule-inspired materials science is going.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A human heart posted:

I thought this thread would appreciate knowing some interesting facts.

Yes, we would appreciate that. Unfortunately you don't seem inclined to oblige