Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Book 4 is kind of a turd. It gets better again after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The story of the 5-6th books definitely felt like it had been broken into two volumes with a to-be-continued in the middle. It felt a little too padded.

Thankfully they didn't expand the 4th book amirite?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's cool that they did that, as the narrator of the 4th book was definitely... different.

It reminds me of the multi-cast version of Dune that for some reason is still main version being sold after like being released in 2007. It's a full cast except for maybe a fourth of the book where they ran out of money and just re-released the previous version with a single narrator? Suddenly the Baron goes from sounding like a big deep voice to Scottish for an entire chapter and then switches back after.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gee if the series ends with the ring gates being destroyed and a bunch of colonies all all cut off from easy connection there would certainly be quite an... EXPANSE between them all.

I do have to hand it to the authors-- the series has grown quite a bit from the vomit zombies and OMG EVIL CORPORATIONS ARE ALWAYS WORSE THAN GOVERNMENTS of the first book.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's just crazy to think about how as the series has expanded we've all gotten used to the slow zone and ring gates and such. It's come along way from just evil corporate scientists trying to start a war for profit.

Nice to see Cortozar get his dues though. He was one of the original Progen dudes from the first book, and seeing his arc to the most recent one was satisfying. Seriously gently caress that guy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hasn't the entire 8 book series (so far), plus short stories, plus them helping adapt the tv series all released like in the same amount of time as the wait for the last Game of Thrones book?

It's amazing how much having a creative duo probably helps speed things up. It's why the guys behind Clone High are so prolific as well. Letting yourself down via failing a deadline is different than lettering your creative partner down.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Probably best thing about S4 of the show adapting book 4 is not hearing Elvi's terrible men-writing-women thoughts.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For those of you needing a diversion while waiting for book 9, I highly recommend the second book in the Altered Carbon series, named Broken Angels.

The first book was a neo-noir cyberpunk mystery, and was somewhat faithfully adapted into a miniseries for Netflix. The second book switches genres to a future military / corporate espionage story about humanity finding a huge ancient aliens warship, and a rush to lay claim to it.

I highly recommend it, as the first few books of Expanse definitely had the whole future evil corporate mystery feeling… even if that feels so far ago by book 9!

Basically the main plot point of the Altered Carbon series is that humanity has used ancient dead alien technology to download human consciousnesses into hardware at the base of everyone’s neck. In that sort of world, anyone whose “stack” is intact on death can be reincarnated into new bodies on a whim, which definitely makes for a neat take on future warfare— soldiers don’t stay down when killed in battle, for example.

I’d say these books have been my favorite “new” sci-fi (written in the last 20 years) that has the same sort of realistic view of human culture but set 500+ years in the future like the Expanse does.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Oh really? That sucks. I was blissfully ignorant.

And yeah the only downside of the books is that they have pretty crazy erotica-level sex scenes. I thought it was a fluke with his first Altered Carbon novel, but then it definitely was in the second as well. Kind of made me wonder about the author...

However, the neat sci-fi ideas make up for it though otherwise.

Also speaking of authors, I laugh every time I remember that almost all of the Expanse series has been published in the years since GRRM released his last book.

Edit - laff:
Leviathan Wakes: June 15, 2011
A Dance With Dragons: July 12, 2011

jeeves fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 21, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah humanity did fine with the "volume limits" of the gate traffic being controlled by the Trade Union, until Laconia came along and dicked everyone with their antimatter weapon and then tried to get the upper hand by exploding a bomb while a ship transited.

I love how in retrospect that idea is just such so dumb but lead to the escalation with the extra-dimensional entities.

I also like the term "the third side" of the gates from one of the latter books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It’s still insane that season 6 of the tv series spent so much time on the Laconia colonist plot lines and then did nothing with them since the series was done.