Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

SyFy website says The Expanse returns 4/11.

Just finished PR last night.

I spend all day in front of screens and actually enjoy that books gets me away from them. gently caress these guys with their E-only novellas making me have to read a screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

NowonSA posted:

I dug the latest book quite a lot, and the time skip didn't bother me and seemed essential to the story they wanted to tell. If the TV show makes it this far, and I do hope that it somehow does ...

I've seen this a couple times in the thread and I'm having a hard time understanding how we get there. Given the show's current pacing of roughly 3/4th a book/season that's the start of season 9. I suppose they could change the pacing, but it's hard to see things lasting that long. TV audiences are fickle.

I think we make it to AG, which will be interesting on TV since so much of that is a real meat grinder on a Behemoth scale. But then we go planet-side for a season +. Remember how BSG went to poo poo when they went down to that planet...

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

NowonSA posted:

I had a mini-treatise on parental control of content written but I deleted it when I realized it was dumb and I was way unqualified to give my hot take since I have no kids. Basically I think you're in the clear here and you shouldn't sweat it.

Kids are different. What my 15 year old can handle might be different that what your 15 year old can handle. Decent parents just want to know what's there so they can make a decision, and less your opinion on to what they should be exposing their kids. As long as you accurately depict the kind of content there you should be good for those folks.

lovely parents? Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

Uh, so Strange Dogs?? Holy loving what???

My least favorite of all the shorts. About the time it gets interesting it just ends in the middle of nowhere.
It seems like all the other shorts are filling in bits of characters or questions we already know about but just haven't heard. Strange Dogs strikes out into new territory, teases us, then concludes. Perhaps once Tiamat's Wrath and 9 are out this will feel the same way, but for now I agree with your assessment. Holy loving what indeed!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

It's interesting that the books haven't done anything with Naomi's kid being alive out there yet. I kind of hope they never do.

It felt like such an odd character to introduce and disillusion for little to no payoff. Seems like we spent a lot of time with him and his contribution was... bait?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hadn't read Strange Dogs ...

My least favorite of the Novellas right up to the context of TW. Strange Dogs just ends so abruptly as soon as it gets interesting. After TW I get the tie in,

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I really enjoyed it, and I'm left wondering how much of the finale was a setup from go. It seems like it was almost too perfect a trap, you know?

Got around to this this morning. I enjoyed it as well. One of the better ones IMO. Scratched a nice itch for me. I did have trouble remembering who Erich was. When they drop the name instead of "Old Man" I was sure I was supposed to know who that was but couldn't place him at the time.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

They are concluding the show prior to the time skip and the last three books apparently.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

The showrunner Naren Shankar is heavily hinting on social media that the show isn't done and "they're working on it"

Spending so much time with Strange Dogs is a bizarre choice if indeed there is no continuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

It's accurate through book six. After Babylon's Ashes there is a 3rd trilogy plus a couple novellas.
From https://expanse.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Expanse
Strange Dogs: An Expanse Novella (July 18, 2017)
The Expanse #7: Persepolis Rising (Dec 5, 2017)
Auberon: An Expanse Novella (Nov 12, 2019)
The Expanse #8: Tiamat's Wrath (Mar 26, 2019)
The Expanse #9: Leviathan Falls (Nov 30, 2021)
The Sins of our Fathers: An Expanse Novella (Mar 15, 2022)