Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finished all the books including the novellas and wanted your thoughts:

Last flight of the Cassandra: I didn’t really get the point of this one. I read them all in “as published” order which means I read this right after book 8 but don’t remember any references to Martian religious sects or sacrifices or anything. The only thing I really got out of this is that before the MCR, there was the male symbol, which haha men are from Mars.

Did I miss one of these characters or something else?

Auberon: I enjoyed this one so do people think this was Erich’s send off? Or do we think Auberon will be part of the resolution in book 9?

Out of all the novellas I liked Butcher, although I can’t at this point remember anything specific about it. The TV series did a reasonable job with this backstory before I read it.

Strange dogs was really nice to read before book 7/8 and laid a lot of groundwork. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did, lots of world building.

Finally I of course liked The Churn because of the world building and backstory there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got an email about my pre-order that Leviathan Falls is coming out 30 November instead of 16 November. Kind of bummed since I was excited to read it over Thanksgiving break.

I assume the 30th is the real, final release date now?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Amos posted:

Let me go double-check the bridge then. You can gently caress things up pretty good if you try folding those back in when they’re broken.

I'm really glad they dropped this line in on Chapter 48 because up until then I had no idea why the gently caress they needed a special bridge (as in command post) to control the combined Roci and Falcon. :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Monolith. posted:

I'm about to start the first novel; how close does the show follow the novels? I've seen it all up until season six which I don't want to watch until it's all out.

I think it’s pretty close. I started reading after Tv season 4 and read then in release order (not chronological order) and thought it was a terrific way to go. S6 is book 6… so far.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

chainchompz posted:

I know it's not the books, but The Expanse telltale game was released on steam. I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm going to wait for a sale. Looks like it follows character arcs from the show more than the books at first glance.

It looks like it’s 40% off right now