Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just finished the 2nd book last night and was pretty happy with it. I'm always wary of not liking new characters but I ended up happy with the new additions. I heard the 3rd isn't as great however.

Books 3 and 4 are a little different in terms of scenery / pacing / amount of ground covered, but I don't think they're worse, they just aren't "literally just more of books 1-2". Still competently written, enjoyable character interactions, fictional science, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

ZombieLenin posted:

Still, it's weird that the velocity stopped Martian bullets on the station and not on the ships.

Is it? The station isn't a foreign body, it's...itself. Why wouldn't it apply the "gently caress you you don't gotta go fast" rules inside itself?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
It's no Expanse, but IIRC the majority of the Dragonlance D&D novels' story was also based heavily on peoples' actual pen & paper campaigns. Sounds like friends-around-table style roleplaying is fertile ground for novel-length stories.

Signed,
Oh God Next Book Out Real Soon, Haven't Reread Nemesis Games As Planned, Ugh

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

From the show thread:

I didn’t want to draw attention to it there, but who thinks it’s a coincidence and who thinks it’s stealth spoilers?

Rock dropping isn’t exactly an unknown in science fiction, but the stealth tech (and in particular the magic paint) doesn’t get much play till the later books.

In the show, if not the earlier books (I really need to reread LW now the show's back on...forgetting a lot of it) a big to-do is made of how Mars is supposedly the only nation with stealth tech. In the context of a discussion about orbital bombardment in an Earth-Mars war it seemed like a reasonable thing to put out there.

I've read all the books, so it was intended as a tip of the hat to other book readers, but one that wouldn't immediately appear to show watchers as a spoiler. I don't see why any "likes to speculate about scifi warfare" person wouldn't pretty easily arrive at the same idea (again given the surrounding convo) even w/o book knowledge.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2017

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Yea, this ep set up a subtheme of taking/reinforcing sides/teams, what with Alex arguing in favor of giving the sample to Mars (and then getting butthurt about Amos' Martian flag shenanigans) plus Naomi hiding the sample-torpedo and working with Drummer to help her take over the stolen nukes. Naomi then giving the sample to Fred would further align with this.

Zach Handlen's analysis at AVClub had a salient related point in it about how the Roci crew is able to balance looking out for one another with keeping their own secrets/biases.

Still feels like we're not quite done with the show's "have the crew arrive at the book's tightly-aligned unit/family, eventually" arc, either way.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 3, 2017

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

AlternateAccount posted:

Anyone else notice that something like 70% of the population of side characters is either gay or in some sort of non-traditional or plural marriage?

Yup! It's awesome. Still waiting for (most of) the rest of the genre to catch up.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

Stephen Baxter wrote a range of books that are all set in the same universe and which take place at different points in time (sometimes millions of years apart) and which are pretty hard sci-fi.

The Xeelee Sequence. Great stuff, absolutely worth a read.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

gohmak posted:

I guess I’m one of the few that thinks the show is much better than the books. That being said when is the next one out?
Persepolis Rising is slated to release on December 5th, aka in just under a month :toot:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Eiba posted:

Yeah, I might be misreading it. I thought "Clarissa tolerated no sticking or squeaking on her ship," implied she was the captain now. Which would be really weird and different.

To be fair, Clarissa is a mechanic type, so I could easily see "her ship" being used in the sense where folks responsible for the upkeep of a vessel feel responsibility for it, even if they aren't the owner or captain. I just went and skimmed to the paragraph in question and as a whole it definitely seems to imply my reading and not "she's the captain", IMO.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Put me down in the "sure, it was the weakest book, but that's kinda relative and it was still a lot of fun to read & fleshed out the universe in interesting ways" camp. For example, I wouldn't recommend any new readers skip it, it's absolutely not that bad. As long as someone goes in knowing that it's a bit of a tonal departure, I don't see why they'd be crazy disappointed.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

General Battuta posted:

four you can just read a summary because it’s worse than bad

Obligatory deployment of anti-goon-hyperbole countermeasures: book four is worth reading if you enjoy the alien side of the setting's worldbuilding and can handle some less than stellar viewpoint characters. It's still written by the Corey duo, even if it is not their best work.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
The show has excellently executed cinematography, set design, sound work, the whole nine yards. Sure, it's not perfect, and it is a TV show, but it's super enjoyable especially if you liked the books at all. And as mentioned enough minor changes and additions crop up that it still feels fresh. Absolutely worth buying the seasons that are available, even if it never gets picked up again.

If you binge hard enough you can catch the rest of season 3 live too!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
In addition, the flavor of the way Eros plays out was moderately different in the books, much more body horror and zombies and biological megastructures than "oh no some crystals". Not sure if it will have the same impact on someone who's not encountering the overall plot for the first time tho.

As noted, if you liked the show for its setting and not purely for its characters, the books get to go into much more depth there.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

shirts and skins posted:

Even if 30 years is 15 from a physical level, it's still 30 years time wise. That's college graduate to gold watch and retirement party in terms of careers.
To be fair, 30 years being a 'college grad to retirement' length of time isn't some sort of inherent law of physics - it's driven by our current average lifespan. If that span is increased the way it has been in the Expanse, why would life phases necessarily be the same length as they were centuries earlier?

Another example (though one could equally chalk this up to being social-norm driven and not lifespan-driven? but perhaps not?) is how societies used to consider people as basically adult (marriage, childbirth, war) once they hit puberty instead of 18-21 as we do today. Waiting til you're 18 to have sex? That's almost more than half your lifespan!

Granted, it's not like Expanse humans are fantasy elves who might truly see 30 years as being nothing at all, but I don't find it to be outlandish either.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Lord Hydronium posted:

I thought that too, but I've read people who were surprised at that plot point, so :shrug:

Have you read the short stories/novellas? They're pretty good too.
I'm on team "saw it coming a mile away". Eh. Still enjoyed it I guess.

The ancillary works are IMHO required reading if you liked the series enough to read the whole thing. Low commitment, just as well executed as the longer works, flesh out the universe that much more.

Edit:

Lester Shy posted:

It's also pretty convenient that a fan favorite character who died unceremoniously off screen is buried on the same planet with the magic revival robots.
Avasarala, right? But wasn't she kind of put in a regular rear end coffin/tomb? I can't see the doggos getting to her 'organically' (i.e. without somebody very specifically going "Hey! Let's make Avasarala gray n spooky too! Zombie cussin'!")

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
They’re breaking from the tradition of each book having a distinct naming scheme. Book nine is titled Tiamat’s Anger Management Therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Just had a random prediction pop into my head for how they leave the setting: the gate network is destroyed or otherwise rendered inoperative, but not before all of humanity is somehow (natural breakthrough from studying precursor tech, or NotMiller comes back with a last gift, take your pick) granted FTL technology – promising eventual reconciliation via more "traditional" space opera style interstellar travel. Presumably of the slower variety as that fits better thematically.

I don't love it but it would be kind of interesting?

Also,

bitprophet posted:

They're breaking from the tradition of each book having a distinct naming scheme.
Half called it? :v: