Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jakabite posted:

Enjoyed how they ended it. Didn’t need a big crazy twist that made no sense - I just wanted it wrapped up in a way that followed, and to see where the characters ended up. Only disappointment is that Drummer was apparently just deleted from existence.

Drummer was never as big of a character in the books as she was in the show, thanks to Drummer being combined with several other characters, including Michio Pa.

I was bummed Naomi never got any resolution with Filip who just walked into the sunset at the end of the 6th book.

But yeah, nothing super crazy happened in the ending. It felt like they didn't have enough story to actually warrant a full 9th book, so they were just treading water a lot of the time. I listened to the audiobook, and noticed they repeated phrases a lot, especially character descriptions that had already been described pages earlier.

The most satisfying part was the epilogue. The authors have said that they have no intention beyond the final novella of returning to this universe, but I would love to learn about the collapse in the Sol system and the gradual rebuilding, and the establishment of whatever entity the 30 worlds are made up of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nail Rat posted:

There was a bizarre style where often the first pages of one chapter were directly retelling the last pages of the previous chapter, from a different character's perspective. It's bizarre because I don't think they've ever really done that before, and they were doing it all over the place here.

Yeah, it seemed almost lazy, which is surprising, because wasn't this book delayed quite a bit? Or was that the last one?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
To answer one of your questions that you asked in 3 or 4 different ways, this was explained in the books. As I understand it, essentially to work, the ring gates steal energy from the other universe, which is where the old gods or whatever reside. If you do just a little bit at a time, like one ship at a time, they either don't really notice, or it's hard to pinpoint the origin of this transgression. When you use a lot of this energy at once, like sending multiple ships through the ring gates at once, then it's much easier for the old gods in the other universe to pinpoint where you are, and they reach out somehow, and wipe you out of existence. Does that mean disintegration? Seems so, it doesn't sound like they're being transported to the other universe. Maybe they're just trying to steal their energy back? Anyway, apparently they can't actually see what's happening in our universe, so they don't really know what's causing it, and they'll just reach out in that spot until it appears to have stopped, and then they'll go away back to minding their own business. Humans are fundamentally lazy and selfish though, and even with Naomi's rules enforced by Laconia, there was no way to guarantee that someone wouldn't do something else to gently caress up again and get the attention of the old gods, and continue to even wipe out entire systems and not just individual ships. The dudes who created the protomolecule handled this by deciding to shut down the ring gates and hoping they could fix it eventually, but they died out instead and humanity hijacked the ring gates for themselves. Knowing this, Holden made the decision to not just shut the ring gates down, but to break them permanently, giving humanity 1000+ chances for survival. Duarte's plan was to essentially go to war with the old gods with all of humanity jointed as a hive mind, meaning if his plan failed, all of humanity would be dead.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Monolith. posted:

I'm about to start the first novel; how close does the show follow the novels? I've seen it all up until season six which I don't want to watch until it's all out.

Earlier on, they followed it pretty closely. Season 1 covers the first 2/3 of the first book. Season 2 covers the final 1/3 of book 1, and the first 2/3 of book 2. Season 3 covers the final 1/3 of book 2, and all of book 3. After that, they pretty much do one book per season.

The show has almost always brought characters forward. Avasaralah wasn't in the first book at all, same with Bobbi Draper in book 2. They also started to combine characters. Drummer is a pretty minor character in the books, but ends up taking on storylines for multiple characters to the point that she is a main character in the show now.

At a certain point they also began adapting novellas and incorporating them into the show. I've never read the novellas, but I'm pretty sure the first one they fully adapted was season 5 with Bobbi.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So I don't remember the books all that well. Correct me if I'm wrong, there wasn't an assault on the ring station with rail guns, correct? They had all the shipping containers go through the ring to be what cause the overload and Marco get taken out by the gods.

Satisfying ending, Holden looked so loving good in that suit. We're definitely getting movies to do the final 3 books, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They got the one lady in the first episode of the TV show who looks a little freaky and belter-ish but I just don't know how they would do that for so many characters for so many episodes without it being an animated show.

It's why I think adapting the 3rd act of Seveneves will be extremely difficult. Evidently Ron Howard is developing it with Amazon last I heard, but that update was a few years ago.