Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I'm re-reading the series and just finished Babylon's ashes again. One thing that bugged me the entire story arc about the belt war was that belters really shouldn't have been a military threat on ships unless they ambushed others. They make a big deal about how belters can't handle heavy G, and their lack of training makes them ineffective in myriad ways, but apparently they are fine to fight under the same G as trained earth or mars soldiers with the same battle effectiveness?

We know from real life that half trained militias get wiped out easily by professional soldiers in head on engagements, and the only thing that really works is insurgency, so the whole war rang hollow to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

External Organs posted:

I dunno, maybe the belter juice high g combat drugs they have are super effective but nasty and have side effects.

I feel like that should have been mentioned at some point if the authors intended it.

Also, did they mention at all about Laconia taking families and children in the initial coup? I never noticed them say that, just that the military skedaddled, and then 30 years later they have a functional society. It would be really weird to have a society with nothing between the 30 year old and the 50 year olds.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

tl;dr -- Marco Inaros seemingly took a force that was inferior in numbers and armament (and physiology!) and practically broke the navies of Earth and Mars. This is while he was indulging in personal vendettas and strategic decisions of questionable utility. Had Duarte been paying attention, he probably could've turned his fleet around and taken Sol then and there.

Thanks for the detailed summary. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this stuff seemed completely half baked.