Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It is in Canada. I picked it up yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Halfway through BA: they pulled a loving 360 no scope

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
That's from Cibola Burn though?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

TsarZiedonis posted:

drat, I was really hoping we'd find out what was going on with the Martians at Lacoste... and what was eating the ships going through the gates.

BA + Speculation: They sorta did explain the disappearing ships and Laconia. The gates can only handle a certain amount of mass when transporting to the slow zone and the rest get vaporized. The second alien race that killed the protomolecule creators seem to have some sort of influence in that dimension or whatever though. Laconia/Duarte are being set up as the next big bad and pretty clearly have the last protomolecule sample which they're using to engineer new tech.

Also, anyone else think they've really set themselves up for a video game/mmo at this point, like they had originally planned? I wouldn't be surprised if one was in the works right now with where the plot is at.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I thought Holden was in his mid 20s when he got kicked out, then another 6-8 years had passed between LW and BA, putting him in his 60s here. You're right though, timeline has always been pretty nebulous - what year is it even in PR?

Timeskip itself was clearly written with the tv show in mind and it gives it an easy out to conclude the series on. By the time BA rolls around it'd likely be in at least season 5 which is starting to get pretty long in the tooth for a show of this type. Ageing actors doesn't seem to be too difficult in the chance that it turns into a runaway success by then either. But based on the life expectancy of 120+ these guys in their 60s are probably closer to their 40s or 50s physically which seems pretty reasonable.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The casting is definitely just the Hollywood thing of always having young attractive people in starring roles. But being the only child with half a dozen parents who all love you with presumably even more information and education at your fingertips than we have today would probably help your maturity and perspective quite a bit.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

drewhead posted:

I've seen this a couple times in the thread and I'm having a hard time understanding how we get there. Given the show's current pacing of roughly 3/4th a book/season that's the start of season 9. I suppose they could change the pacing, but it's hard to see things lasting that long. TV audiences are fickle.

I think we make it to AG, which will be interesting on TV since so much of that is a real meat grinder on a Behemoth scale. But then we go planet-side for a season +. Remember how BSG went to poo poo when they went down to that planet...

The plot in Nemesis Games/Babylon's Ashes is a pretty easy out to end the series on if it has begun to fade in popularity and they could condense the contents of Cibola Burn or omit them entirely if they need to. After that if there's a sudden resurgence in popularity, netflix buyout, or "remake"/refunding of the series they could go and film the final trilogy. The authors have stated they didn't write the books with the tv series in mind but it really appears otherwise.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

bitprophet posted:

To be fair, 30 years being a 'college grad to retirement' length of time isn't some sort of inherent law of physics - it's driven by our current average lifespan. If that span is increased the way it has been in the Expanse, why would life phases necessarily be the same length as they were centuries earlier?

Another example (though one could equally chalk this up to being social-norm driven and not lifespan-driven? but perhaps not?) is how societies used to consider people as basically adult (marriage, childbirth, war) once they hit puberty instead of 18-21 as we do today. Waiting til you're 18 to have sex? That's almost more than half your lifespan!

Granted, it's not like Expanse humans are fantasy elves who might truly see 30 years as being nothing at all, but I don't find it to be outlandish either.

Yeah this is what I was thinking as well. It's still pretty jarring to think of a bunch of 70 year olds as active as the crew is in PR but at 33 I'd be nearing the end of my life expectancy a few hundred years ago too. The average in the Expanse for non belters is ~150 iirc.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed TW but I can't help feeling like it was another rehash of the same plot from every other book. I guess I keep expecting the other shoe to drop with the Goths, changing the landscape entirely again like it did in AG. It still feels like we need another two books to resolve all the PM/Goth stuff.

I'm going to be real sad when the series is over though. It's such a fun series and I love all the ways the authors have come up with to kill people with science. I really hope the show makes a full run.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'd agree that 2/5/8 are the strongest. 8 is still fresh though so I guess we'll see how I feel once the honeymoon phase is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The conclusion of book 6 is basically the end of the Earth/Mars/Belt arc that is dominant in the series up to that point and a suitable enough stopping point. 7-9 leave a lot of room for a revisiting in a few years if interest picks up again or even a movie(s).

7-9 make for a cool capstone to the series by delving into the space white walkers arc, but like ASoIaF, the real meat was always about the human side of things.