Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Candlelight Virgil posted:

If I’m on cibola burn should I not be reading this thread

Not if you care about spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, I don't know how other places handled it, but Audible just swapped the versions one day. The original was rough enough that I started looking more critically at the whole series.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Crazycryodude posted:

I can't recall any exact ages being given but the fact that Holden for example managed to have a whole Navy career before the start of the books means they're not all 20, I'd say The Gang are all mostly in their roughly mid-30's at the start of Book 1 I think?

Holden is 30 at the start of the series, having served seven years in the UNN and five on the Cant. I didn't find anything definite on Naomi in a quick search. Amos starts the series in his 40s, having left Baltimore in his teens and served on ships for 25 years. Alex is also somewhere in his 40s, having served 20 years in the MCRN plus however many years on the Cant.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The Investigator interludes are more or less the inner monologue of a genetic algorithm, and I love it.

Between that and Elvi describing something as a "Dawkinsian good move," I'm like 90% sure that the authors had recently read/re-read The Blind Watchmaker, a great book that deserves a less embarrassing author.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

PeterWeller posted:

They've have slowed down a bit. Had they kept with the original pace, book 8 would have come out last December, and we'd be getting Book 9 in a few weeks. Not that I'm complaining.

The delay on the last book was on the publisher's side, not the authors'. It does look like the last book is taking a bit longer (due sometime next year), but I can't blame them for wanting to stick the landing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Something about her Belter accent seems...forced? IDK. For reference, I love most of the Belter voice acting, especially Jared Harris and whoever played the street preacher/agitator from the first season. Something about how Cara Gee voices Drummer just seems off to me.

Would it help to think of it as a different accent? There's a bunch of "regional" and socioeconomic variation in Belter creole. She's not failing to sound like Jared Harris, just doing something different.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I don’t really remember book ashford at all. He was just kind of a one dimensional hardline bad guy wasn’t he?

He's an extremely green officer who's put in command of the Behemoth for political reasons and immediately cracks under pressure.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpookyLizard posted:

She has first hand experience in Weird Protomolecule Bullshit which is a pretty good qualification for studying Weird Protomolecule Bullshit.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but hadn't she shifted her research focus to protomolecule-related stuff even before Laconia showed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also way more geriatric sex than probably any piece of fiction I've ever read in my life.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy probably outdoes it on that front.

Anyway, yeah, the Duarte plot did strike me as basically "he installed himself in the Great Machine to do Human Instrumentality."

[Kit stuff] When they introduced the idea that the group consciousness effects were induced by being the subject of affected people's awareness, it sounded to me like they were setting the stage for Alex to be more affected than the rest of the crew, but lol nope

[Stuff near the end] The way Miller was needling Holden about the hypocrisy of unilaterally destroying the gates, I really expected Holden to do one last mind meld to get humanity to agree to and assist with destroying the gate network. Literally one last shot at giving everybody all the information and trusting them to do the right thing.

Edit: formatting

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 9, 2021