Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I've been reading through the books after watching the first three seasons, and it's pretty cool how all the titles of the main books are in some vague way an allegory for the books plot, and then I get to Strange Dogs, and it's about some... dogs that are strange? :thunk:

To be fair Drive is about the Epstein Drive and The Butcher of Anderson Station is about that as well, I just didn't expect this one to be so on the nose.

Good book though, I'm fully ready to plough through the rest of the series (then wait for the ones that aren't out yet) to figure out just what the gently caress happened to poor lil Xan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lester Shy posted:

Auberon's out today. I probably won't get a chance to read it until this weekend, but I've really enjoyed all of the novellas so far.

drat, I'm still reading Tiamet's Wrath, I was hoping to finish that before Auberon came out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

PriorMarcus posted:

Interestingly Thomas Jane has just posted on twitter that he's heading off to start work on The Expanse Season 5 today.

Defiance Industries posted:

That makes me think that he will show back up in Book 9. It occurred to me last night that since the Investigator was part of the protomolecule culture contained in the sample that was used to create all those Laconia experiments. So anything made from that, like Amos, could be a new way for him to manifest. So the scene at the end of Book 4 could be a misdirection.

Turns out he's directing an episode of season 5. So maybe the detective wont actually return?

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/1195413519828566017

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Lester Shy posted:

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/expansebook9/register

Countdown shows 1 day, 22 hours from this post.

So we have a countdown until we get a countdown for when the book comes out?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

General Battuta posted:

They’re gonna split it in half because it got too big. It’s what I’d do, no one can resist the lure of :words:

Checkmate to this guy in the other thread:

Gobbeldygook posted:

There is zero chance the show continues after the books. The ninth book will definitively end the series.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jan posted:

Two books, except one of the two books is about Marco Inaros's zombie consciousness coming back from the space between the gates to wage war against Laconia.

you heard it first :yum:

Or about his zombie consciousness staying in that space and fighting whatever is there because he doesn't realize where he is

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Maybe we'll get 7-9 in 30 years when the actors have aged up.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Jan posted:

Is there a new OP or has no one truly said anything until Season 5 landing today?

I'm still only in the first episode, but my hope is still that the show writers manage to make Marco and Fillip not be comic book dunce villains, much like they made Afford into a relatable "villain" for the show.

This is the book thread. The non-reader thread and the spoilers thread have been active over in TVIV.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I can't believe the admiral didn't understand the ramifications of light speed changing for 23 minutes. Haha what an idiot. It's so obvious what that means. One of you should explain it so I know you all know.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Looks like we're gettin some later-books stuff in season 6, maybe even the Strange Dogs kids??

https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1446527317891641346

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ZombieLenin posted:

Don’t want the show. My unpopular opinion is that it’s pretty terrible.

I'm going to watch the show.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

withak posted:

Golly are you ever in the wrong thread.

TO BE FAIR this is the Expanse book thread. If he only wants to read the books and not watch the show (which is weird, but whatever) he is in the right thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Real sad now that the series is over. Also feels kinda weird that both the last book and last novella ended the same way. Holden and Filip both did what they saw as necessary without asking anyone else. Holden injected himself and shut down the whole slow zone without consulting anyone, and Filip killed Jandro because he saw his own father in the guy. When Filip realized he was being exiled and was talking to just Nami I half expected him to explain who he was and why it was so important to him to stop Jandro before he became Marco. Just as some kind of finally coming to terms that he is Filip, son of Marco, out loud.