Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Ending stuff-

I feel like this book was in direct conversation with the last two books of the Hyperion Cantos, in which humanity as a whole develops this sense of universal shared empathy / memory which allows them to become greater members of the galactic community. Perhaps this was incidental, as I seem to remember an interview with one of the Corey authors saying that the last trio of books was a love letter to Ursula K Leguin. I've admittedly not read any of her work, so I'm not sure how it stands up to that, but it definitely seemed like a counterpoint to The Rise of Endymion.

Specifically, a rejection of the idea of universal connectedness as a way through the future. It's an interesting take to me personally, especially the last two years of working in healthcare. I have so often thought to myself "I wish people would just understand exactly what's going on here," and I've found myself fantasizing about universal shared experience.

With that in mind I kind of found it a little bleak, especially the first half of the book, which has mirrored some of my own doom thoughts since Feb 2020. It was very relatable, but not in a fun way.

Tanaka as a character seems to especially match up with the character of Rhadamanth Nemes, although I'm not sure there's much to say other than I wasn't a huge fan. She could easily have been a Bobbie Draper stand in, as I think they'd be about the same age, and it would have been an interesting (although painful) arc to have Bobbie gradually start rolling with Laconia over the last three books. It would perhaps have hit a lot harder...and her arc as written was pretty good anyway.

I didn't hate it, but I guess I didn't love it either. I would have liked them to play in the space of mentally connected humans a little more than in a dire crisis situation. Could the technology be scaled smaller? Could it be a temporary thing? I personally still think it's one of the more interesting ideas in science fiction.

The strength of these books imo have been in their world-building, and at their best seemed like the authors developed a set of conditions for societies and then hit the play button, and what happened next was inevitable. Highlights for me across the series are the Praxidike Meng chapters on the complexity of Ganymede, and the battle sequences in Babylon's Ashes. I'm looking forward to seeing what they write next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Post expanse, I think a cool short story would be records of correspondence between one or more worlds that were 5-6 light years from each other. You could follow characters on each planet over many decades, being light delayed pen pals.

Tbh I can also see how the distance + communication could amplify technological progress while at the same time making physical conflict impossible.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Imagine if they'd done Auberon instead of strange dogs. Wow this planet smells!!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I wonder if Cara and Xans parents had some more kids they fed into the fascist military machine.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

On the other hand, it's a little odd that Holden dosing himself up with the protomeme gives him immediate anti-Dragonball Z powers when I always thought that Duarte's ability to do that stemmed somewhat from Cortezar's experiments.

I thought it was more like it gave him access to the investigator again, who we know from book 4 can manipulate protomolecule tech.

By the way, anyone check out Daniel Abraham's new book? I haven't yet, but would love to hear from someone who has

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I remember liking those chapters, in kind of a "no matter what you do in life, it's all going to be routine and depending on logistics / organization" kind of way.

The long siege of Laconia stuff is written passively as well, isn't it? It's almost like a Wikipedia entry for a battle as opposed to the various scrums we get in, say, Babylon's Fall.

Huh.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sorry in advance for book Elvi. She's basically exactly the same but for some reason they made her unreasonably horny for Holden.

It is as the kids say, cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I dunno, maybe the belter juice high g combat drugs they have are super effective but nasty and have side effects.