Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Well well well... Look what I just got in my inbox.

It's......Perfect.

I might actually consider buying a new car if that ever actually happens (it won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
But I think we both agree the modern educated consumer wants exactly this (so probably why it won't happen)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hmm. If I buy a car on Amazon, can I get free same-day delivery? I don't pay a hundred bucks for Prime for nothing, you know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably, seeing as amazon's business model seems to be "lose money on every sale but make it up in volume" still.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah I'll buy that brown diesel 5speed station wagon from Amazon too :rolleyes:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 240 days!)

blugu64 posted:

Yeah I'll buy that brown diesel 5speed station wagon from Amazon too :rolleyes:

From Amazon Deals Warehouse? It has a few dents and no warranty, but it's 10% cheaper!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

everdave posted:

But I think we both agree the modern educated consumer wants exactly this (so probably why it won't happen)

How would you know what the modern educated consumer wants?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Probably, seeing as amazon's business model seems to be "lose money on every sale but make it up in volume" still.

I think it's shifted now to being aggressively incompetent at filtering out knockoff products and getting a kickback from the manufacturers.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Remember when investors expected companies to turn a profit and pay dividends.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I'm looking for a used car, I emailed 15 dealers asking for an out the door price and every single one emailed back saying to come in and we can talk. NO, just send me what I'd actually be paying and I'll come talk to the best 3 offers and test drive. Why do they make this difficult?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol used car dealerships are even worse than new car dealers. Buy from a private seller if you can, and be willing to travel if you're picky and have something specific in mind.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Pympede posted:

I'm looking for a used car, I emailed 15 dealers asking for an out the door price and every single one emailed back saying to come in and we can talk. NO, just send me what I'd actually be paying and I'll come talk to the best 3 offers and test drive. Why do they make this difficult?

Did you read the rest of this thread? According to the highly enlightened dealership employees you are an idiot and are buying cars the wrong way. Just go see them what does it matter what the final price is? As long as you can afford the payment right?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A few years ago, I bought a 2011 BMW 335 that was sitting (traded in) at a Napa area Chevy lot. I did almost everything via email after a quick initial call......agreeing on a price, and also had the Chevy sales dude take it to an indy mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. I made an appt, met the sales guy and finance guy did his numbers and spiel in under 30 min and I was outta there.

I think dealers are getting more up to speed with email for sure the last few years at least in California. I have found that if you call them or let them call you after the email inquiry so they at least know you aren't trolling you'll get much better service.

My last "bad" dealer experience was around 2001 going in to Oakland Honda to test drive a Civic w/stick shift and getting the full "drivers license held hostage/runs off to bullshit the mgr behind the glass/4 square poo poo tossed in front of me" routine by some 21 y/o (I was 32 at the time). I laughed, they laughed and I walked out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

leica posted:

Lol used car dealerships are even worse than new car dealers. Buy from a private seller if you can, and be willing to travel if you're picky and have something specific in mind.

Email all of them "dealer X just offered me $Y,000 OTD, can you match that?"

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ola posted:

Email all of them "dealer X just offered me $Y,000 OTD, can you match that?"
Easy with new cars, because they're all the same. More difficult with used cars because they're all different. Hard to price match a 2014 with 30k miles on it with a 2013 with 32k miles on it.

Keyser S0ze posted:

A few years ago, I bought a 2011 BMW 335 that was sitting (traded in) at a Napa area Chevy lot. I did almost everything via email after a quick initial call......agreeing on a price, and also had the Chevy sales dude take it to an indy mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. I made an appt, met the sales guy and finance guy did his numbers and spiel in under 30 min and I was outta there.

I think dealers are getting more up to speed with email for sure the last few years at least in California. I have found that if you call them or let them call you after the email inquiry so they at least know you aren't trolling you'll get much better service.
I'm curious to know how well you worked the price down. I'm basically efforting something similar right now.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

photomikey posted:

Easy with new cars, because they're all the same. More difficult with used cars because they're all different. Hard to price match a 2014 with 30k miles on it with a 2013 with 32k miles on it.

I'm curious to know how well you worked the price down. I'm basically efforting something similar right now.

Basically from $33k down to $30k (similar PP cars were going for that, CPO's were going for $33k........I previously could only talk a BMW dealer down from $36k to $34k on a CPO as a point of reference)

I just looked through the old emails from Dec 2013 and it basically went like:

Day 1 TH
1. I notice vehicle on Cars.com/look at Carfax etc note price of $33k, 19k miles (car is still under BMW warranty and maintenance period and was a trade in)
2. I contact them regarding availability via email and leave phone message. 12pm
3. They confirm via email/phone message (that I let go to VM) and mention that their price is "below blue book!" 1:30pm
4. I mention via email I am an adult, KBB is pretty pointless on vehicles and buying a turbo BMW from a Chevy dealer carries a considerable amount of risk since 1, they can't run the service/maintenance records for me and 2, they probably just did an oil change and put too much oil in. I also note I am very interested in the vehicle and can buy it asap for $29k contingent to it passing a PPI at a place right near their dealership if they would be so kind to take it in for me. 2pm
5. He emails back that his mgr can let it go for $31k. 6pm

Day 2 FR
6. I counter with $30k and they "accept" via email.
7. Then he calls in the morning and we chat for a bit on some logistics (I am 2hrs away) and we confirm on the $30k and them taking it for the PPI.
7. I apply with financing through their dealership GMAC so now they have all my info and am ready to buy. 5pm

Day 3 (the next WED) if someone comes in before I sign the car is gone but the earliest I could get the PPI done was the next Wed so I wait.

1. They take car in for PPI, it passes and they note the paint needs some serious detailing, which is fine since the car is black I'll want it done anyway.
2 I let dealer know I am ready to buy the vehicle for $30k and will be there SAT to pick it up.
3. They send paperwork via email

Day 4 (the next SAT)

1. I show up in rental car, take test drive, confirm paint needs detailing.
2. sit in office for about 30 minutes while they gently caress around doing paperwork
3. go into finance he just goes through it quick and I'm outta there.
4. sales dude take me in his truck to drop off rental car down the street and we return and I bail in the BMW.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 7, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
God bless you for that writeup.

How did you find a legitimate pre-purchase inspection place?

Did you pay for the detail, or did they? (What 2-bit car dealer doesn't get a detail done on a car before they put it on the lot?)

photomikey fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 7, 2016

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
BMW's have an active enthusiast market so it's easy to get dialed in on pricing..........and recommended indy shops that do PPI's are pretty much all listed on https://www.bimrs.org.

in Norcal there is a good indy shop every town so obviously easy to find one.

Re: detailing.......it needed serious swirl removal and paint detailing, I had them add some opticoat as well. I paid $1k for that work at place in my area. Dealers will just send the car lot boy out there to clean your car with a rag he likes to drop on the ground.

Also, the prior owner was a nice young lady and she left all her info in the iDrive, lol. She obviously was in outside sales based on her routes and the fact that she put 19k on a car in 1 year prob caused her to freak out and get a Chevy Cruze instead I didn't stalk her I swear

Not Funny: I liked the car a lot but sold it under a year later (it sold very quickly via PP) and hung on to my 5 series instead. lol

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 7, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Keyser S0ze posted:

Not Funny: I liked the car a lot but sold it under a year later (it sold very quickly via PP) and hung on to my 5 series instead. lol
Well, at a minimum, this explains why I find 2-3-4 owners on cars that are 2-3 years old and I think "what the gently caress". Maybe they're not just lemons.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Pympede posted:

It isn't that difficult. Declare your highest amount you will pay, and stick to it.

I've sent an email before basically saying "I'll pay $x, and not a penny more- IF I decide that I want the car. Let me know if this is accepted; I won't bother to test drive it if this is not agreeable." It helps letting them know you want this specific car, so they don't try to do the "Oh, well, we have this" bait-n-switch in their mind.

Don't be afraid to walk, either. The Subaru dealership tried to give me the runaround after an agreed price (the BMW dealership didn't- beyond their "our finance" BS- but I was paying in cash, sorry fellas!), so I literally walked out to my car to leave when they magically came (ran to the side of my car) with the "approved" paperwork. It was a fair price I offered- not an exorbitant one.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Car dealers remind me of Craigslist. Everyone prices there poo poo high because everyone, both buyers and sellers, want to play the stupid negotiation game. If you don't play the game and try to buy or sell poo poo honestly, you look shady as gently caress. Regardless of wether or not it's a good deal all that matters is being able to tell your friends "They wanted $X but I got it for $Y :smug:".

It's ingrained into our DNA and it aint going anywhere anytime soon.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My craigslist rule (as the seller, generally on non-car stuff) is that I don't negotiate against myself. So if I'm asking $50, and you call and ask for my best price, I tell you it's $50. Now, if you want to offer $40, I may or may not take it.

Use that advice buying cars.

My other craigslist rule, which I'm still trying to figure out as a used car-buyer, is that I don't take offers over the phone (because there's nothing in it for you). On the opposing side of this, I don't want to drive 300 miles to make an offer on a car and find out the guy won't bargain.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

photomikey posted:

My craigslist rule (as the seller, generally on non-car stuff) is that I don't negotiate against myself. So if I'm asking $50, and you call and ask for my best price, I tell you it's $50. Now, if you want to offer $40, I may or may not take it.

Use that advice buying cars.

Yebbut most sellers are like "I'm asking $50 but think it will be a bidding war so I will accept $10,000" and most buyers are like "he wants $50, I'll start at $0.90 cash in hand in case I get lucky, so I don't waste a good chance for a deal".

It's cool to watch traders on the financial markets, when you can see the buy orders and sell orders as vertical rows and as soon as they overlap, trades happen. A million trades happen in the overlap while 10 idiots sit outside at either end dreaming of a good deal (which might happen in 15 seconds).

photomikey posted:

My other craigslist rule, which I'm still trying to figure out as a used car-buyer, is that I don't take offers over the phone (because there's nothing in it for you). On the opposing side of this, I don't want to drive 300 miles to make an offer on a car and find out the guy won't bargain.

Give and take I say. The travelling buyer is at a disadvantage there because he has something to lose in walking away. If you're asking the seller to hold for your buying travel, you have to offer some sort of premium. "If you'll hold it for me and it is as you say, I'll pay the $X you want". Same vice versa, perfectly fair to say "I'll hold it for you, but then you can't take it away for less than $X" and then it's of course perfectly ok to take it for less anyway. As a seller, it's an advantage if you can say (honestly) to a local caller that you have someone travelling in to buy at $X and now suddenly the traveler needs to bid to make his travel worth while.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 15, 2016

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

leica posted:

Don't worry, soon used car dealerships will be obsolete thanks to Vroom, the company which will sell you a used 'reconditioned' car sight unseen off the internet.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When idiots ask me for my best price on craigslist I usually start adding to the list price.

No, I am not negotiating for you. This is used poo poo, I priced it below market since I want it gone, I will take offers in person after you look it over and decide what it is worth to you.

New cars? gently caress you, that's a commodity, there are thousands of dealers listing the same exact factory new condition vehicle with the same warranty coverage, don't play games with me, tell me what your loving shelf price is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Don't worry, soon used car dealerships will be obsolete thanks to Vroom, the company which will sell you a used 'reconditioned' car sight unseen off the internet.

Sounds good to me!

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

kastein posted:

When idiots ask me for my best price on craigslist I usually start adding to the list price.

No, I am not negotiating for you. This is used poo poo, I priced it below market since I want it gone, I will take offers in person after you look it over and decide what it is worth to you.

New cars? gently caress you, that's a commodity, there are thousands of dealers listing the same exact factory new condition vehicle with the same warranty coverage, don't play games with me, tell me what your loving shelf price is.

Agreed. I'm selling a car right now and I've priced it high to build in some negotiating room. All I get is emails about "your lowest price" and I just tell them to come look at it and then we'll talk price. Why the hell would I cut my price for no effort? Come earn it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hey do local dealerships offer you 7 or 10 day period (vroom vs beepi) in which you can return the car for 100% of the purchase price? Oh right

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BraveUlysses posted:

Hey do local dealerships offer you 7 or 10 day period (vroom vs beepi) in which you can return the car for 100% of the purchase price? Oh right

Just charge it back :downs:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

You shouldn't have to because you've looked at the car and done your homework and driven it and if it's not what you want after 7-10 days then it's completely your fault for being a dumbass

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DrakeriderCa posted:

Agreed. I'm selling a car right now and I've priced it high to build in some negotiating room. All I get is emails about "your lowest price" and I just tell them to come look at it and then we'll talk price. Why the hell would I cut my price for no effort? Come earn it.

A lot of people seem to think that haggling consists of just going back and forth until you meet in the middle. No effort made to actually justify their offer.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

photomikey posted:

<snip>don't negotiate against myself. <snip>don't take offers over the phone (because there's nothing in it for you).

kastein posted:

Sound advice, but what do you when someone like Everdave sends you a text message ME NEED YOUR PREMIUM PRICE ON THE $900 TV ME HAVE $700 CASH 4 U RIGHT NOW!!!!

Personally, the last time I tried to deal with some Craisglist scum anxious to pay me full price (a fair price) the bitch brought her 300lb boyfriend to tell me how I was going to accept only half of else. . . I can't imagine how many times car salesmen have to put up with scum who come in with sob stories, no credit, or just plain expecting ridiculous deals because the dealer ALWAYS is out to get you and they need to take 40% off the price of else you've been had by another rear end in a top hat car salesman. . .

Just act like a normal person, offer a reasonable price for the car or walk, and accept the fact there will be taxes. . . Don't like the taxes, don't buy. Or gently caress it, go to walmart, grab a 99 cent candy bar and scream like a child when the clerk asks for $1.05 because of HIDDEN FEES.

No, I don't sale cars. I buy cars, from dealers, and I walk if the salesman is a joke. One local dealer keeps sending a flyer, every week "You have won a new car!!!" and their salesme, are scum. . . But the other dealers have been pretty decent.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sound advice, but what do you when someone like Everdave sends you a text message ME NEED YOUR PREMIUM PRICE ON THE $900 TV ME HAVE $700 CASH 4 U RIGHT NOW!!!!

Personally, the last time I tried to deal with some Craisglist scum anxious to pay me full price (a fair price) the bitch brought her 300lb boyfriend to tell me how I was going to accept only half of else. . . I can't imagine how many times car salesmen have to put up with scum who come in with sob stories, no credit, or just plain expecting ridiculous deals because the dealer ALWAYS is out to get you and they need to take 40% off the price of else you've been had by another rear end in a top hat car salesman. . .

Just act like a normal person, offer a reasonable price for the car or walk, and accept the fact there will be taxes. . . Don't like the taxes, don't buy. Or gently caress it, go to walmart, grab a 99 cent candy bar and scream like a child when the clerk asks for $1.05 because of HIDDEN FEES.

No, I don't sale cars. I buy cars, from dealers, and I walk if the salesman is a joke. One local dealer keeps sending a flyer, every week "You have won a new car!!!" and their salesme, are scum. . . But the other dealers have been pretty decent.

Well you stupid gently caress I am the opposite of that and I was talking about going to a dealer IN loving PERSON with my
GodDamn checkbook and asking a simple question of how much X car is out the door right now and not being able to get an answer. I am very successful when it comes to selling on Craigslist or similar and I write ads that discourage idiots and I would never call or contact someone over the phone with a used car and say what's your best price right now (other than purely parts cars for a few hundred bucks). So obligatory gently caress YOU BITCH

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

Personally, the last time I tried to deal with some Craisglist scum anxious to pay me full price (a fair price) the bitch brought her 300lb boyfriend to tell me how I was going to accept only half of else. . .

What's he gonna do, force you to sign the loving title before the cops get there?

Even if they managed to that, good luck registering the car after they extorted you to sell it to them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

everdave posted:

Well you stupid gently caress I am the opposite of that and I was talking about going to a dealer IN loving PERSON with my
GodDamn checkbook and asking a simple question of how much X car is out the door right now and not being able to get an answer. I am very successful when it comes to selling on Craigslist or similar and I write ads that discourage idiots and I would never call or contact someone over the phone with a used car and say what's your best price right now (other than purely parts cars for a few hundred bucks). So obligatory gently caress YOU BITCH

Dude, you're bent way the gently caress out of shape over some words on the internet and a lovely car salesman in real life. Go smoke a big loving bowl, rub one out, drink a beer, soak in a hot tub or whatever else relaxes you. Or all of the above. lovely salesmen are all over, its a lovely fact of life, no use getting as worked up as you are over it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

everdave posted:

Lol what is your IQ seriously???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Edit

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2016

• Locked thread