Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
everdave also got really mad when I told him most 2017 corollas do not have the 4 speed automatic transmission

dude is just mad about cars, and not in the AI approved way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think it was a great Frank Costanza sort of shtick, but it might be for real.

Even if it isn't YOU SONS OF BITCHES CAN BLOW ME

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm buying a car through beepi and will give a trip post

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Jesus Christ. This thread is evidence dealers need to die

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I do quite like my KIVIK sofa in ORRSTA Dark Blue

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Probably, seeing as amazon's business model seems to be "lose money on every sale but make it up in volume" still.

They make a killing on AWS, and are willing to lose on the retail side just to have a huge customer base and increase their gross. Their cash burn is totally reasonable, and they are successfully gaining market share.

Growth is expensive, but it's a valid long term strategy for a company like this. They could turn profitable TODAY if they wanted, but they are choosing growth.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

They make a killing on AWS, and are willing to lose on the retail side just to have a huge customer base and increase their gross. Their cash burn is totally reasonable, and they are successfully gaining market share.

Growth is expensive, but it's a valid long term strategy for a company like this. They could turn profitable TODAY if they wanted, but they are choosing growth.

and doing it in a way that makes ~the public~ think Amazon is great does wonders too. I love Amazon :patriot:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm buying a car through beepi and will give a trip post

Please do, can't believe I had to wade through 10 pages of dealer poo poo posting just to find this.

Their selection is a bit limited understandably, but I'm in the market for a car next year and would love to hear how something like Beepi or Vroom works out for people.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So far it's pretty easy, i've done almost all communication via email until today when I called and paid 5k down payment on my credit card :laffo: 1% cashback reward on that.

they are sending all the required info to my credit union for the loan and the car should be delivered next week. they detail and inspect the car before bringing it to you.

they handle all of the registration and taxes too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tommychu posted:

I do quite like my KIVIK sofa in ORRSTA Dark Blue

Come on, it's all about the Harlequin Klippan.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

So far it's pretty easy, i've done almost all communication via email until today when I called and paid 5k down payment on my credit card :laffo: 1% cashback reward on that.

they are sending all the required info to my credit union for the loan and the car should be delivered next week. they detail and inspect the car before bringing it to you.

they handle all of the registration and taxes too.

Well why did you buy and what did you pay lots of us would love to hear your experience

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Fuelslt1 recorded on the job:
http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-dealership-employees-are-really-saying-insid-1786585755
(not actually that bad)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Come on, it's all about the Harlequin Klippan.

I think I'd sooner be seen seen on a Grey SLADDA than on that thing.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 14, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought an ARTICLE COUCH. Very comfy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Looks like Kimbo's link caused a flame-out.

Here's the video that was deleted from youtube:

http://mirror.ninja/bo5p

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Car sales persons know nothing about cars they just run through a script like the tech support people you get in India at 3am for your 24 7 tech support. Their only job is extracting as much cash as possible from you. Asking them questions is like asking the internet why your car won't start.

Edit: Why won't my 1985 Toyota Dolphin RV start?

Buy this: https://www.vroom.com/cars_and_trucks/2012/ford/mustang/boss%20302/95805

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 16, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

Looks like Kimbo's link caused a flame-out.

Here's the video that was deleted from youtube:

http://mirror.ninja/bo5p

I love listening to people talk poo poo when they don't know they're on camera.

"He looks like a guy that just knows everything about cars and can get whatever the gently caress he wants."

Aww, poor sales prick.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Aww, poor sales prick.
"I asked him what he was paying now and he said 'I don't see why that matters'"

Newsflash. That doesn't matter.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

photomikey posted:

"I asked him what he was paying now and he said 'I don't see why that matters'"

Newsflash. That doesn't matter.

Me: how much is this car?

POS salesman: whoa slow down buddy!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

POS salesman: How much you got?

Fixed

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

everdave posted:

POS salesman: What is the maximum you can possibly afford per month? Now do that for 8 years.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If IKEA made a car I'd probably buy it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tommychu posted:

It all goes together with 1 allen key, and has an extra piston ring in the bottom of the box just to gently caress with you once you've got it all together.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
What would they call it? Mustang, Bronco, and Colt have already been used.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Probably KNULLA
At least that's what I'd call it throughout the assembly process.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tommychu posted:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somebody get James May on the phone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd build one, just for the hell of it.

I'm pretty sure I would never be able to get it registered and insured, though :(

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
It's also never going to happen on account of it being a product of Gordon Murray's

It's cool as gently caress though and I'd daily drive one if I could buy it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw a Cadillac with the license plate SLSMAN on i95 this morning. It was an SRX not an SLS though. Then I realized what it meant and the fact that he was driving like a twunt was no longer surprising.

I guess that's my car salesman story because I've never tried to buy a new car and probably never will.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well well, Fuelslt1 certainly had a meltdown and deleted all his posts :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

He really should've bought the post undercoating.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

IOwnCalculus posted:

He really should've bought the post undercoating.

:drat: :holymoley: :vince:

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

KozmoNaut posted:

I take this to mean that he really did work at that dealership, which is hilarious.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just emailed a used car dealer advertising a 2015 Altima with 15k miles for $13k (this is an actual auto dealer)

>> > Is this a clean title vehicle with remaining factory warranty? Can I
>> have
>> > the VIN?

And I got back:

> > NOT A CLEAN TITLE. IF IT WAS I WOULD BE ASKING 23,000. THIS CAR WAS
>> 28,000 13,000 MILES AGO. BEST ADVICE IS GO BUY A NEW ONE AND PAY FOR
>> DIAMOND RINGS AND NECTIES, 350 TO 450 PR MONTH. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

I have also got two more emails where he accuses me of in fact wearing neckties. I should not have used my real email stupid me trying to buy cars wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't have any idea what that means. The guy sounds like a lunatic.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

everdave posted:

I just emailed a used car dealer advertising a 2015 Altima with 15k miles for $13k (this is an actual auto dealer)

>> > Is this a clean title vehicle with remaining factory warranty? Can I
>> have
>> > the VIN?

And I got back:

> > NOT A CLEAN TITLE. IF IT WAS I WOULD BE ASKING 23,000. THIS CAR WAS
>> 28,000 13,000 MILES AGO. BEST ADVICE IS GO BUY A NEW ONE AND PAY FOR
>> DIAMOND RINGS AND NECTIES, 350 TO 450 PR MONTH. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

I have also got two more emails where he accuses me of in fact wearing neckties. I should not have used my real email stupid me trying to buy cars wrong.

Not knowing exact trim but KBB on a 2015 Altima 3.5S is like $15k private party? Dealerships don't like you, maybe find a nice private transaction?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

Not knowing exact trim but KBB on a 2015 Altima 3.5S is like $15k private party? Dealerships don't like you, maybe find a nice private transaction?

Well of course those are usually the best, and what I'm looking for but still being car crazy I look at the local ads most days. I am not sugar coating it that was all I asked of the guy. There is another local dealer who rebuilds cars but at least they put the VIN in every online ad so I can google it and see the reason it was written off (they seem to sell a lot of inventory so maybe I'm the weirdo who looks up the VIN)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You should screenshot the emails and post them on Imgur just for the shitfest of comments it would generate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

You should screenshot the emails and post them on Imgur just for the shitfest of comments it would generate

YES IM RUDE....WHEN SOMEONE THINKS THEY CAN BUY A STRAGHT UP TITLE CAR
FOR LESS THAN HALF... SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT BE A NECK TIE MAN, AND AS
FAR AS THE POSTING OF REBUILT TITLE, I DISCLOSED IT TO YOU THAT IS ALL
THAT I HAVE TO DO. AGAIN HAVE A GREAT DAY

(My only contact was the initial one)

But full disclosure I do own neck ties

• Locked thread