Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Describe your dream vehicle for stakeouts

i have an unmarked cop vehicle for that but i have to drum up business so it's got my name, logo, business address and phone number on the side in big letters

maybe one with some lighting strips so you can read the ad, im worried im not getting enough exposure at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How many thrilling government conspiracies solved by finding the one thread of evidence with a dramatic reveal have you been involved in bub?

none. as a police officer i am part of the government and we frown on pulling the whole tapestry down with one tug of the last thread holding the rotten thing together

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Would you be willing to plant corroborative evidence on a suspect you knew to be guilty, in order to ensure an indictment?

Would you be willing to beat a confession out of a suspect you knew to be guilty?

Would you be willing to shoot a hardened criminal in the back, in order to offset the chance that some... lawyer...

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

thathonkey posted:

cause it is immured by many rolls of fat

I just solved your avatar (it's been driving me crazy): it's Deion Sanders after getting arrested for fishing at the Ft. Myers International Airport. I should get some kind of reward for knowing that.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Would you be willing to plant corroborative evidence on a suspect you knew to be guilty, in order to ensure an indictment?

Would you be willing to beat a confession out of a suspect you knew to be guilty?

Would you be willing to shoot a hardened criminal in the back, in order to offset the chance that some... lawyer...

1. yes, but also innocent depending on how close i am to hitting my weekly quota and how likely the charges are to stick

2. yes, but also innocent depending on how close i am to hitting my weekly quota and how likely the charges are to stick

3. no. good lawyers and PIs are part of the cycle of justice. I do a sloppy but not indictably bad job of arresting a perp, the sharp lawyer pokes holes in the case, both me and the lawyer get paid, the perp walks, and I pick him up again a week later for some other thing. it's like those little birds who pick the meat out of crocodiles' teeth.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dethkon posted:

I just solved your avatar (it's been driving me crazy): it's Deion Sanders after getting arrested for fishing at the Ft. Myers International Airport. I should get some kind of reward for knowing that.

how did you crack the case, gumshoe?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
is being a private dick anything like being a private dancer as described in the hit tina turner song "private dancer"?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

an undercover detective is actually nothing like a private dick hope that helps you fraud

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Iron Prince posted:

is being a private dick anything like being a private dancer as described in the hit tina turner song "private dancer"?

yes but you dance to the beat of justice

argondamn posted:

an undercover detective is actually nothing like a private dick hope that helps you fraud

they're pretty much the same thing, why do you think they call it "private", it's because they don't want you to know. and who are "they"? the police. source: me, i'm a undercover detective aka a private dick

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dethkon posted:

no poo poo sherlock lol

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Exactly what is the stuff that dreams are made of?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Forward Toward posted:

Who portrays pi's best? Hammett or chandler

A couple pages back, but Hammett was an actual PI for 13 years or so, and not only were his stories influenced by that but many of them were loosely based on actual events, whereas Chandler had no background in the field (as far as I can tell). I've been binging on these two this month and Chandler's work portrays the PI process similarly to Hammett's, but his main character Marlowe is a flawed hero rather than the stolid professionals of the former (Sam Spade is a major exception, although he's really an antihero). The biggest divergence between Marlowe and the various protagonists in Hammett's work is that Marlowe is really emotionally invested in his work, whereas Hammett's guys are usually emotionally uninvolved. Marlowe cares about justice but Hammett's guys only really care about getting the job done (once again, Sam Spade is an exception). I really like both authors' work, but the answer to your question is Hammett.

IANAPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Can u get a clue?

• Locked thread