Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The more I see of this game, the more I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I love the touch in the second one where they honk the horn while you're trying to carjack them.

Also holy heck that fog effect in the background looks great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only thing I'm worried about is the music might ONLY be used in missions by the sound of it. The Rolling Stone article makes it sound like there's no GTA style radio.

EDIT: nvm, confirmed by other sources there's car radio and of course it's heard in clubs and such.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's stricter than an embargo. Review copies won't be available until the public release date.

My guess is there's a very significant day one patch. Unfortunately the last time we saw that was No Man's Sky.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure doing promoted content without disclosure is against Youtube's TOS now and I don't think a guy like Angry Joe would risk a kerfuffle like that, but I have no idea how he got it. If there are others then yeah it's just them sending copies out to Youtubers which makes sense since no one reads reviews anymore.

It also might be a press demo that includes only part of the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Replace Battlefield with Civilization 6 and I am guilty of similar crimes

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Considering the youtube bots have nailed developers over their own game soundtracks turning it off makes sense no matter what.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And if you can grab a leader alive you can force them to work for you for continuous income.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Deakul posted:

The biggest, absolute biggest mark against the game is obviously the open world. It does nothing with it, it's more of a wide open stage for the story to take place on. There's no side missions and no activities... there's some fun collectibles(vintage Playboy mags!) to hunt down but that's about it. It doesn't bother me THAT much but I'm just laying it out there for potential players that want GTA in the 40s.(get The Saboteur if you want that maybe)

The game has a great story so far and that's definitely enough to keep me playing it, I'm not sure what to expect with the DLC missions, perhaps someone can chime in there.

Jimmy's Vendetta is literally the side content stripped out of the game by the publisher, which is why the open world is so worthless. I never played any of the DLC though.

Everything you've said about Mafia 2 is true. It's absolutely beautiful at selling atmosphere and story. Just expect the open world to waste your time at points.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The side missions are kill everyone. Hopefully the main missions aren't.

Also, I noticed some HORRIFIC pop-in in several pre-release gameplay videos but figured it'd be fixed by release. Guess not.

There's apparently a 2 GB+ day one patch. Hopefully that smooths some things out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

They need to address the 60fps issue and the day one patch better resolve the pop in issues as well.

According to one of the streamers, they talked to a dev who appeared surprised by the lock so it's likely a bug.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inkel posted:

Hmm.. okay. And let's just go check on those Steam revie... yep, no surprises there.

Yep, TB's minions are working overtime as usual.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This all just makes me glad I bought on PS4 rather than PC (my PC ain't great in the first place.)

For now though, I'll unbookmark the thread as it's become a dumpster fire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Jesus, just realized that this game doesn't sync your saves to Steam. That's about the easiest steamworks integration you can get in a game and they haven't even bothered to do that.

Sadly a lot of games still don't use steam cloud.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

There's also a nice little soundbyte I discovered by accident. I drove around with a character who was in the middle of a speech, and when I busted up another car he stop talking (as is usually the case in these kind of games). But then he said "where was I", and started talking again!

GTA V does that but it weirdly only is in some conversations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/games/360430/announcements/detail/814414713567158759

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Afraid of Audio posted:

yeah my biggest problems are the keyboard control scheme and the lack of a mafia 2 style driving mode

There is a "simulation" option in the game settings that makes cars handle closer to Mafia 2. No speed limiter still, I think though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kontradaz posted:

Maybe I'm low brow as gently caress, but the story has got me captivated. And the music... the music! Fantastic (that scene with Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" was sublime)

Not that far, but I loved the use of I Fought the Law

EDIT: nvm, just got there :stonk:

EDIT2: Holy crap, amazing use of CCR right after.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 8, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Didn't they forbid anyone from making any reviews until the release date or such? And the thread is full of people complaining how it's extremely repetitive and buggy. :sigh:

They didn't forbid anyone, they literally did not send review copies until release date which likely means the game was a complete shitshow before the first patch instead of just being very buggy but mostly playable

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

They are real.

They're real outside of the ads being changed to fictional companies in the Mafia world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

So is there any point in keeping money once you unlock the speed dial option to store your money?

Nope. Though if you're going to buy stuff right away it takes from the wallet first.

• Locked thread