Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hoping this ends up being good. After Mafia II I'm a little wary but I think including things to actually do in the open world is a good move, since nothing in the previous games really justified there being one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

Car chases were pretty fun for the time, but the mission to mission driving was extremely awful. Did cars of that era really slow down to 2 mph just to climb a slight incline?

It's more because there were a lot of steep inclines in the first game and if you were obeying traffic laws and not breaking the speed limit you could just barely drive up them. Meaning if a cop is around, trying to get up one without going insane meant you would be fined by the cops.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm very interested in Mafia III but, yeah I'm going to wait for goon impressions more than anything. After what happened with Mafia II and the usual signs of reviews not being allowed until after release with Doom 2016 being the only exception I can think of where the game turned out great regardless, I'm very cautious.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if the twist is that Lincoln is half-black and Joe was his father. He was raised in an orphanage and Joe did gently caress off to the southern United States for around 5 years, around the time for Lincoln to be born.

Could be a nice tie in for why Vito would help Lincoln out too, revenge for what happened to Joe notwithstanding.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Annnnnnd now I'm glad I didn't preorder. I'll pick it up once the issues are fixed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I honestly kind of wonder if the inevitable Mafia 4 should just ditch the open world entirely. It's never been put to good use in any of the games so far. Have high polished and memorable missions instead of developing an open world which devolves into repitition and bugs.

Then again 2K would probably laugh the devs out of the door with that suggestion because open world games with a lot of busy work to do are what sell these days.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So apparently the PC version is also locked at 720p and upscales from that. The PS4 version is 900p and upscales. The PS4 version is literally the best looking version of the game. What the actual gently caress?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/187042

Plus, the PS4 version isn't nearly as blurry as the PC version either, there's still a fair amount of blur due to the upscaling but it's still better looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoQyGj9R00

Again, the PS4 version is a little sharper looking. Still not great, but it's shameful that the PC version is graphically inferior to the PS4 version on top of the 30 fps lock which I thought sucked, but could live with. Is this another dumb decision some idiot suit at 2K thought was a good idea? It's either that, or there is some bug that prevents the game from using higher graphical settings because this video shows very little difference between low and high settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtjfXZnNCds

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Qmass posted:

Seems like its not upscaling but it has some retarded film grain/blur filter going

comparison slider image - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/screenshot/44654/full/

download - https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6215/

Pretty massive difference when it gets corrected.

Geez. I'm willing to bet all high settings really do is put on a bunch of post-processing effects that just smear vaseline on everything because that is a pretty drastic difference.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nah, the game looks like poo poo. The character models look great but everything else looks worse than the last gen version of GTA V and even if it isn't upscaling from 720p, it looks like it is.

I can handle repetitive missions, I loved the Mad Max game and that was repetitive as all hell and I like the story and setting, but the game just feels really unpleasant to play and I think the horribly muddy visuals mixed with the framerate cap is what caused that. I'm not even that big of a framerate snob, but if a game is going to be 30 fps it better drat well look great and Mafia 3 simply doesn't. The framerate has now been fixed so it feels a bit less unpleasant to play, but it still doesn't look too great and it's putting me off from playing more of it.

It's surprising, really because I never thought I was much of a graphics snob and I still enjoy playing older games that have aged like milk visually. But something about Mafia 3's graphical style just does not look good to me and in fact I'm fairly sure the trailers looked a hell of a lot better which makes me think that some idiot suit at 2K mandated that the PC version had to maintain console parity, or there's some serious bug going on where the only settings that stick when you set everything to high is the vaseline blurry post processing. Either is possible, given how the game was clearly rushed out before it was ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be fair, the patch is only a hotfix which was advertised to fix the blurriness. Though why it is 1.2 GB large is beyond me.

• Locked thread