Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really wish I could get into Mafia 1, because every time I try it I love all the ground stuff.

It's just anything involving driving is a nightmare. Like holy poo poo those cars don't move at all, and that intro chase is a nightmare. I'm cool with realistic, but youch. And people that like the game talk about a "nightmare race" that happens later. I'm just can never commit when I think of stuff like that.

I actually liked Mafia 2. It was obviously a hacked together zombie game, but it was really neat playing a game that was so....banal, despite being this gangster piece. Like you never did anything worth a drat, you always just kind of played second fiddle nobody man until the end, and even then you didn't really do anything particularly great. Great mission design in a few places though that really held it up. The Penthouse Assault is still in my mind as one of the best shootouts in games, and the Observatory fight near the end felt fantastic/smooth. I just wish the game surrounding it was better.

If this can expand on that, fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Spergs gonna sperg.

There was some talk earlier of Joe's Adventure, now it's on sale. For €1.59 you can't really go wrong I suppose but Steam reviews are mixed. Would it be worth it to someone who has played Mafia 2 twice?

No.

People make a big deal about "the game was ripped apart for DLC!" and it's true. Joe's Adventure and the Jimmy's stuff was originally supposed to be in the game, along with probably more stuff ( there's that period near the middle?ish where Vito and Joe have a little adventure with their newfound power fighting a bunch of dudes that was probably supposed to be gameplay originally ).

The thing is it doesn't loving matter, and none of that content makes the game feel more fleshed out in any way. If you just want to see the Mafia 2 plot, the base game is fine, and I never had a problem with how it ended. Like the Joe's Adventure DLC's entire point was to give you something to do while Vito was in prison, and make you feel more confident about the Joe/Vito relationship. Except they achieve the exact same results in Mafia 2 with a quick cutscene, and how much airtime they gave Joe anyway. He didn't need that 2-3 hourish segue to get more love, and it actually feels really odd playing it in the base game, because it pulls off from the core plot.

If you just want to see it, yeah, whatever that translates to in Europe funny money is probably worth the price, it's not a terrible addon and it's more Mafia 2. I like the Mafia 2 gunplay/characters enough that more of it wasn't a bad thing. But if you are expecting some connecting epic that you plan on quitting out of the main story for when Vito goes to prison so you can see "the real Mafia 2!" don't. It's not that.

The bigger crime wasn't removing Joe's Adventure, because I'm not sure it being in the base game would have made the base game a better thing. The crime 2K pulled was removing all side activities for the loving Jimmy's Vendetta nonsense.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Well, does it have any new locations (like indoor) you get to visit? New vehicles? Or is it just some random outdoor missions except you play as Joe instead of Vito? I liked the gameplay in 2 but I'm not interested if it's too meh.

I mean it's an addon with a few new areas I think, and I think it's set during winter so you get snow. It's also a lot of Joe.

As I said, if you liked Mafia 2, it's more Mafia 2. It's not a bad DLC, and if the DLC from Mafia 3 are about that size/scope I'd be pretty happy. It's just not this missing link that people make it out to be, that's removal ruined Mafia 2.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Someone spoil this for me with a yes or no please.

Did Joe survive 2 then?

or rather

Does Joe even matter to 3?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Spoilery question for those that have beaten the game.

I know Joe and Leo show up in Mafia 3 thanks to an rear end in a top hat friend. My question is, do they have any bearing on the core plot, or are they entirely tied to Vito's sidequests?

• Locked thread