Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mafia and Mafia 2 are EASILY my favorite open world crime games outside of GTA and I'm so loving excited for this one. With that DLC announcement last week I'm even more excited since 2K is one of the more disgusting DLC publishers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would say that Mafia has some of the best third-person gunplay ever, perhaps second to Max Payne. I just love how loving kinetic and tiny-balls-of-metal-are-being-thrown-around it feels.

Also, I'm legitimately hoping that they tackle race head-on and don't flinch or pull any punches. So many games have recently tried to make some parable to racism and not gone anywhere with it so it might as well have been excluded from that game completely. Most recently Mankind Divided had that whole "mechanical apartheid" marketing angle and it's nowhere in the game meaningfully beyond some surface level "oh these cops are oppressing them!"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I remember GTAV actually has that sort of stuff too. It was a "pleasant surprise." As horrible as it is it was nice to see it actually "addressed" instead of just magically handwaved away.

Also the gameplay videos with firefights for this have looked like it carries on the excellent gunplay of the first two. I'm so loving excited.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Aug lives matter.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
While I'm also weary of that (fukkin' 2K! :argh:) it sounds like this may be legitimate post-game content the way the announcement sounds. Which of loving course it does. But I'm real hopeful that it's finally better.

But that said, don't ever loving buy the pre-order with the season pass included. I have yet to see any one of those have a discount applied so there's no point in ever buying it before the DLC is actually out and you know if you want it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I honestly just hope it's a period piece and they present it as ugly as it was and hey you just happen to be here. Don't call attention to it or make a big deal, just make it.

I understand it's an EXTREMELY difficult subject and nearly impossible to handle in a tactful way that pleases everyone but so many games have recently had fake racism in them that have barely broached the subject and it feels like why even bother. They clearly have it in Mafia III so here's hoping they're not another game that just kind of brings it up, damns it, and then just cheerily and blissfully moves on.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm secretly hoping this is sort of Forrest Gump-y and the DLC links Lincoln with every major US historic event in the 60's and 70's. Can't wait for the Watergate stealth level.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I could tell that was the framing mechanic from one of the trailers I watched today. Old man in a chair with nothing but blackness behind him talking about the past tense? It makes me nostalgic for when the History Channel wasn't arguably the worst network on television.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Watching the 20 minute gameplay video makes me REALLY hope they bring back PhysX particles and destruction. Mafia II was one of the very few games it worked extremely well in. It's so loving awesome to look around after a firefight and see just how much chaos and destruction is all over the floor.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've heard Franklin will have the cops called on him and is less likely to get away with small dings on a cop car but it's such a loving systemic game there's no way I can be sure of it myself.

Also, the AI is overly loving aggressive, you're not wrong. If you stand near ANY character they just flip out and walk away and some will even fight you. You don't have to bump them or even get SUPER close. It's loving horrible.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Different Gamespot video. 12 minutes of shootin' out. Good luck loving watching it though. There's a looping NPC that makes it almost loving unbearable. At one point I thought they were turning back to do us all a favor but whoever was playing hates us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIkFTi07Mk

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sadly Mafia's AI has never been much beyond "get to point and shoot player."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Game looks pretty fun but all the early players are garbage. Why does every publisher let the worst of the worst showcase their games?

You should have been looking forward to Cities: Skylines.

I'm literally starting to believe it's a tactic to sell games. "This rear end in a top hat is so bad at this game I have to buy it and show that I could do a better job without even trying!"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Didn't a large chunk of the Mafia team move on to do Kingdom Come?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So does that mean you're one of the guys deciding which fences go where and what objects act as cover or are you one of the guys saying, "There should be a sick drag race here!"?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I remember the first Mafia actually deformed the car mesh when it got hit. I would routinely play the tutorial level just to drive that car down the massive hill into a pole and see how it broke.

I also remember hitting a car with a bat until one of the vertices was a good ten feet away from the rest of the car.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GOOD NEWS!! Their DLC plan doesn't penalize you for waiting! One of the first releases I've seen recently that actually does this! Please set a new standard because gently caress current DLC practices.

:ironicat:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So far everything we've heard has been MUCH better but holy poo poo that trailer VO is worse than some indie games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yep. They'll probably be the source of many, "Mission Failed: Police Alerted" for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speaking of "gently caress GTAV" I'll be happy if I can quietly murder someone in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses and not have psychic cops appear out of nowhere.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or kill them in to not calling.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

drunkill posted:

Pre-loading is available, 40.5GB download.

Greenman Gaming have sent out their keys apparently so I just bought the game from them, you get your steamkey on checkout.
Standard Edition: $46.79
Digital Deluxe: $62.57

e: Discount doesn't show until it's in your cart.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Every single thing I saw in that video is either present in multiple other games or the result of what we already knew to be a tacked-on stealth system in an open world crime action game.

The exception being the bad AI which hopefully will be polished out by Tuesday from the E3 builds but who knows. It's almost a back of the box bulletpoint for this series anyway.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All I know is that the first two Mafia games had similar / the same problems and people gave them poo poo. I had enough fun to warrant their purchases, though. This one MAY be different but I've come to expect not-GTA from Mafia so anything in the open world is going to be butts and any of the highly scripted main missions is going to be fun.

And the AI is going to be the worst.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That was actually my first exposure to that song so when the local altrock station plays 90's things for lunch and that comes on I can't not hear it in a rap rendition.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As much as people say it suffered I thought Mafia II at launch was perfectly fine. It's infuriating that they cut content from the game to make DLC but even without it the base game is fairly good. It simply could have been great instead.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As abrupt as it is I never had a problem with the ending because it made sense.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who cares if some idiot on YouTube with an unfunny gimmick personality was paid to play a game and say it's good?

He's a loving YouTube personality.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Alright, I'll concede the legality but I don't know why anyone would put any stock in to these YouTube morons. Even print reviews are usually Bad.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was there more to Polygon Doom than just them being bad at it or is that video the only thing?

Also there was that Polygon compared to a regular streamer VR thing about guns. It. Was. Amazing. Titled something like, "Polygon doesn't know how games work," or similar.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay well I guess here's hoping having the European version doesn't cause any issues for a Yank. Reduced violence or region lock things.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

dublish posted:

Everyone in game will speak French. Sorry DSM.

Je parle une petit Francais, mais tres malment.

It's just adding autheticity to the French Quartet.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I guess I'll wait anyway now that the preorder isn't on sale on GMG. I looked last night and it was 20% off so they must have just stopped that.

It doesn't show until you put it in your cart. Only time I've ever seen this on their site.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The side missions are kill everyone. Hopefully the main missions aren't.

Also, I noticed some HORRIFIC pop-in in several pre-release gameplay videos but figured it'd be fixed by release. Guess not.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
30 FPS isn't the end of the world and people who refuse to buy a product based off of it are ridiculous drama queens. Constant crashing, save wipes, Bad Gameplay, sure. But a 30 FPS lock is a minor annoyance that will probably be fixed very soon by either a dev or some clever .dll hacks.

Also Steam should probably just completely eliminate reviews. They're 5% useful, honest reviews and 95% snap judgements, bandwagon complaints, or repeated lovely jokes. I think I've only clicked "was helpful" on maybe ten reviews ever. It's a bad system broken at its very core.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Utnayan posted:

He should be if he was looking forward to something that should easily support 60 Fps and not be locked down. There is no excuse for it. And some people need to stop downplaying it. Next thing some of these folks will say is we shouldn't be so entitled to play 60fps games and be lucky we get 30... :mediocre:

But worse than all that are the poor PC releases lately anyway.

The thing is that 30 FPS is playable to all but either elitests or those who have a sensitivity to framerates that trigger motion sickness or the like. 10 isn't. 20 barely counts but not really. I'm not championing those numbers but 30 is playable just fine. Yes, I'd prefer 60 or even uncapped, but the "30 FPS cap, refund plz!" crowd are ridiculous. But besides,

e: You know what, 30 sucks sometimes if the game is incredibly poorly made and does weird poo poo like ties physics to framerates in a way that breaks it (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) or screws up aiming (GTAV).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
60FPS compared to 30 is hardly worthy of that comparison. A flip phone makes calls, texts, and and maybe does some organization and media. A smart phone does all of that, has the entire internet in reach, open source development, apps for insanely specific uses that only a few people would ever need, and is generally an all around useful tool for most everything in day to day life at this point. It even allows posting to internet comedy forums.

But 60 FPS is just a really, REALLY nice, smooth experience. 30 is just good. It's not worth canceling or refunding a purchase over by virtue of itself and if you do you're overreacting. If it actually breaks something, sure. But who cares, a 60 patch is incoming so I guess you'll live.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Xeremides posted:

I mean, we're harping on the PC version right now, but the X1 version sounds like poo poo, too. If you have a PS4, that's the way to go.

Could almost be said of any game in the past two years.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Serial killer shaming itt.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But what about Jeffrey Dahmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

drunkill posted:

Pro Tip: Turn on Simulation driving in the settings for Mafia 2 style cars, I've been driving with a controller sometimes (if the drive is like more than a kilometer/40 seconds away and it feels [i]so]/i] good.

H is holster weapon, I is batman/vietnam vision, C is carhorn, Shift is look backwards, V is change camera in car. Ctrl is cover, you can switch cover by pressing the direction first then tapping Ctrl to swap from one side of the door to another etc. Vaulting/climbing is spacebar, obviously.

gently caress the framerate, those controls are the real dealbreaker. I play GTAV using M&KB on foot and then when I get into a vehicle I pick up my controller and it flawlessly switches and works. Anyone know if this does as well?

• Locked thread