Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Mafia series has suffered from problems in the past, but they've been inconsistent problems. Mafia 1 had crummy graphics and some pretty lovely AI (even for back then), while Mafia 2 was just cut to ribbons to sell DLC, and some platforms got buggy releases. That's why it's hard to say exactly what could be wrong with 3, but no studio puts an embargo that hard in place without a seriously good reason. Especially 2k, who are usually really good about getting review copies out, which just makes it more suspicious.

They've only ever shown like 3 of the 10 districts in the game, which leads me to believe it's going to be the same gameplay loop we've seen, ballooned to like a dozen more hours of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Well yeah that's every open world game

True. I personally am creative enough when playing most decent open world games to wring the most fun out of them. This one seems to make crafting the best "one-take" murderbinge its low-key focus, and I can dig that at some level.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

At the cost of stability, you can use that Reshade/SweetFX thing the other guy posted.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Kontradaz posted:

Man either I suck at these types of games now or this game is harder than usual. Playing on medium and if I got a retaliation squad out on me it's hellish to fight them off, and enemy accuracy is better than I've seen in a game in a long time (i.e sprinting in other games means you don't really get hit much but you will get put down in this game if not in cover.) I like it this way though, the game hasn't really gotten easier as I've played and I'm still sticking to cover / running out of ammo / melee fighting and all that even in late game.
Leading them to your conquered rackets is a fun way to get them off of your rear end.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Turns out you can kick doors open by meeleeing them.

There's some cool moments to be had with kicking doors open and hip-firing with the shotgun.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Are you on PC? The default key is 'P' on the map to look at missions, from there you can select the one in question and it should show you a waypoint to begin. Those side missions require a designated boat provided to you by the mission.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 11, 2016

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

There are some moments that get to Sleeping Dogs-tier, especially closer to the end. I'd say as a whole though, this is a notch or two below that.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm enjoying this more than Sleepy Dogs. Plot is better and driving/gunplay is better, although fist fighting is definitely worse.

You can take random people as human shields, do kung fu and stuff people in the trunk of your car. Oh, and you can leap out of your car in midair and shoot the tank to carpet bomb. Sleeping Dogs is easily superior.

EDIT: Sleeping Dogs is my favorite open-world game ever next to JC2 and Witcher 3.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 12, 2016

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

I think this game beats out GTA for me, because even though it can be repetitive, you actually feel like you're achieving something, and you're doing it for yourself rather than being bossed around by some unlikeable rear end in a top hat. Plus, you can actually get paid, and there are cool useful things to spend that money on. Contrast finding $10k in this game with $10k in GTAV.
I also like that there's an actual incentive to not die, but sometimes that means that you don't take more risks with killing dudes. I usually try to deposit as soon as I see 5-6k in my wallet, unless I'm in bumfuck without proper pathing for the Consigliere to reach me. The best/most fun approach for me is to go a bit more on the guerilla side, killing some loudly and then disappearing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

I didn't even realize you could modify cars!

Uh, how do you do that?

E: Wait, gently caress me I'm dumb. They're cassandra upgrades, so they ought to be applied universally.

Well, this game seems decently moddable. There's something resembling a car customization mod at the moment, though it looks kinda unwieldy. There's also manual driving, a no rear-view window mod, among others. There's already a third-party scripthook that can feed lua code into the game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I find them pretty easy to get away from. Target the wheels of the first car following you and shoot them. That will get a bunch of cars off your back. If you've lost a bunch of tires and you can't go fast, find a big building and stop there. Get out, kill any cops that are near you and run around the building. Then just run outside the circle.

You can also lead them to a conquered racket. Your muscle is invincible and plentiful there.

I really wish they kept retaliation as a permanent thing, with randomized convoy sizes even after the story. Splinter gangs trying to take you out and your rackets would keep the game feeling alive in some way at least. It could've even be made as a rudimentary Nemesis-type system where you can find a random informant who'll lead you to the brains of the group. That's literally what this game's "story missions" do anyway. Also, a taxi driver collection of side-missions that can be repeatable with a bevy of recorded conversations would've made a really nice nod to a certain movie. How about adding even more incentive to wiretapping by allowing you to tune into mobile radio for the newly uncovered part of town? This game could've had some really cool new ideas to add to open-world crime games, it's a shame.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 13, 2016

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wooper posted:

He's given a radio by CIA man.

Since they put phones everywhere they could have made you use those instead.

Or at the very least allow that to be your way to continue certain side-missions, rather than running back to the underboss's respective hideouts.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

The answer to all of your problems is the Stromer assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There is no legal reason to not include the KKK in this game. People write/film/etc poo poo that includes the klan all the time and the most that ever happened was a splinter klan group writing an angry letter to Mad Magazine back in, like, the 70s (Mad told them to gently caress off). I think some got upset at Oh Brother Where Art Thou but again they weren't dumb enough to file a lawsuit they would absolutely lose. Like so much else wrong with this game the answer boils down more to 'the publishers are dumb.'

Not nearly as dumb as this post.

• Locked thread