Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, I'm legitimately hoping that they tackle race head-on and don't flinch or pull any punches. So many games have recently tried to make some parable to racism and not gone anywhere with it so it might as well have been excluded from that game completely. Most recently Mankind Divided had that whole "mechanical apartheid" marketing angle and it's nowhere in the game meaningfully beyond some surface level "oh these cops are oppressing them!"
They are actually tying it in with the gameplay. Like that Vice article Dapper_Swindler posted mentions how the cops swoop in if they get a call from a rich white neighborhood but they can just outright ignore anyone reporting you in the slums. Also the devs said if you just hang around the rich white neighborhoods for too long people will call the cops on you.

Hopefully this game ends up being good, because it seems like it can be real cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Stuff like this (from one of the DLC descriptions) though:

Feels like it cheapens the actual history of it.
It might, but the idea of going all Dukes of Hazzard while fighting Klansmen sounds like a cool idea at least.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

I know stealth is supposed to be the Big Thing of a game like Mafia III, but the AI was acting kind of dumb when Clay was going through the garage. "Ho dee hum, I just heard a body slump over right on the other side of the loading bay from where I'm standing, better not turn around and stop facing this big brick wall I'm staring at, doo de dum de dee."

Like at the very least, it looked extremely generous to the player in terms of limiting how close something is before the AI notices it.
They could be playing on Easy, early gameplay previews tend to be made braindead easy.

If the AI is dumb though, hopefully the mission design, writing, and atmosphere will make up for it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Even if the AI is dumb, if the combat gives you the options that it sounds like it does, the atmosphere is great, and the writing is on point I'm all in.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bustin' makes me feel good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As much as people say it suffered I thought Mafia II at launch was perfectly fine. It's infuriating that they cut content from the game to make DLC but even without it the base game is fairly good. It simply could have been great instead.
This, I recently bought and played through 2 due to my looking forward to 3 and the main campaign honestly feels pretty complete. Like there's little indication that stuff got cut when it comes to the campaign proper. The only thing is that the ending feels super abrupt, like its obvious they killed Joe to satisfy the Triad but it just ends.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As abrupt as it is I never had a problem with the ending because it made sense.
Oh I had no problem with what happened either, it just felt like there was no denouement. Something like having a few minutes of Vito realizing how horribly he hosed up and it wouldn't feel so quick.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
LA Noire's problem was that it tried to be a GTA clone when it should have been more like an adventure game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm actually rather excited that even though the game has technical problems and possibly suffers from repetitiveness the writing has universal praise. I can easily forgive repetitive gameplay if the writing is good.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pathos posted:

Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo. 30 fps sucks, yes, but let's try to maybe discuss whether or not the rest of the game is any good. I absolutely refuse to believe that a lower fps ticrate causes the entire game to suck to such an extent that nothing else matters.

Are the missions fun? Is the game long? Is the story good? How is the combat? Anything?
Most of the reception of the game itself is pretty positive. It apparently drags for a couple of hours when the game makes you do sidemissions in order to progress because they are rather repetitive, but the main story is real good and actually well told. Also the shooting and driving is good.

I'll probably wait a few days for the PC patch to hit and a stronger consensus is made, but I'm probably going to buy it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deakul posted:

Rabid Mafia 3 fanboys vs rational people that don't want a buggy unoptimized game in this thread
Lol if you think that.

tap my mountain posted:

PC gamers are insufferable
Seriously. 2K already admitted they hosed up and are on it. We'll see how it ends up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Utnayan posted:

They are making 3 missions. That's the DLC. Not sure where you get all this about free stuff and big expansions.
They are also releasing free stuff like costumes and racing missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Iron Rose posted:

Well good news, there's a patch coming in approximately ten minutes.

https://twitter.com/mafiagame/status/784865521439080448
Nice, if the reception to the patch is good I'm picking this up.

• Locked thread