Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Jeza posted:

for me Mafia 2 was a big disappointment. Didn't even bother to finish the game.

Good! Because I just beat it yesterday and it sucks. Deus Ex MD's out-of-nowhere middle-of-the-story ending has nothing on Mafia II's.

It's literally

*everyone gets into their cars*

"Good job killing Falcone."

"Thanks. Wait, where are you taking Joe?"

"He wasn't part of the deal. If you know what I mean."

"Oh." *stares angrily*

*pan to city, fade out*

I guess the rest of the game was okay? Short, but okay? Still, I'm looking forward to III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

Someone mentioned on IRC that 2k released region locking news too? People from grey key sites will be locked to the EU region? Not sure on that yet.

My GMG key did unlock a specifically European version when I redeemed it.

e: probably worth noting that I'm actually in Europe

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 5, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Usually the European version just have more language options right?

I am thinking of buying this from GMG but I guess I don't really want to get stuck with no english VO.

Nah. It says European, not RHCP or Russian. UK is still part of Europe, and the UK-based GMG wouldn't sell a game without English VO.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I like the launch trailer :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiHOpHbCzM

Also, early GAF and Reddit impressions suggest a good but very repetitive game, which I'm personally okay with.

e: Screenshotted the PC settings menu from an early stream. Looks fine to me.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 6, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

According to one of the streamers, they talked to a dev who appeared surprised by the lock so it's likely a bug.

By the same token, if the dev was surprised then the bug probably won't be fixed by the day one patch.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

what does that even mean

e: But, in any case, if a patch is coming, I guess I won't be interrupting my Dragon's Dogma playthrough for now. Gonna check back in a week.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 6, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

A GAF member posted:

It seems that new patches have been uploaded into the steamdb a couple hours ago. Not sure if it's not ready yet or they're not ready to put it to live.
https://steamdb.info/app/360430/history/

:catstare:

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Ruggan posted:

This game just looks like another forgettable story-mode fps hitman-like gta-like. I can't get enthused about it.

cheesetriangles posted:

This game is really loving good god drat.

ChocNitty posted:

I'm going to need you guys to figure out which of you is right.

Nobody's right, obviously, but FWIW, I've seen a lot more positive reactions than negative ones, besides the "repetitive" comments.

And I've done a lot of reading, since I'm not playing this until the PC patch comes out.

Really the worst thing about this game right now seems to be the bugginess of the PC port, which is getting addressed in the coming days. Supposedly.

e: There's also a mod which gets rid of the FPS cap, but

:allears:

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 8, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Finally got around to playing this and got four hours in last night. It's fun! Technical notes:

1. Graphics-wise the game seems not super well-optimized. The biggest FPS/usage drains for me were Reflections, and in non-urban areas, Shadows and AO. But Reflection Quality is clearly the biggest drain of it all, even moving it to medium increases GPU usage by nearly 30%, and starts knocking 5-15 frames off near a lot of cars and/or water. Hopefully this'll improve with patches.

2. CPU usage, for me, is 60%-100% across all eight threads, so that's some good CPU utilization, right there. I still lose frames due to the CPU being overworked in more dense areas like Downtown, but that's normal for games like this. Happened in GTA V too.

3. As far as the game's looks go, I'm satisfied. It looks at least as great as GTA V with my settings (High Geometry, Low AA and Reflections, Medium everything else) and runs at a constant 60fps except for the CPU-bound scenarios mentioned above.

4. Controls, driving, in particular, are excellent. Very responsive.

5. The crashes can gently caress off, though. I've already had two crashes to desktop following cutscenes. Super mood-breaking. Glitches-wise I haven't seen a lot, and even then just clipped/stuck ragdolls, but I did have the superfast cloud bug once and it was p funny.

But, overall, with the 60FPS patch, it's an okay PC port. I think I'll enjoy this game to the end, since (as an Assassin's Creed fan) I don't mind repetition.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
The game (ab)uses the CPU very heavily. 60-100% usage across all threads/cores depending on the area. I've been getting near-Prime95 level temps as well.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'm getting more crashes now, even in-game (as in mid-sneaking or mid-shooting) and sometimes instances where the game just loads and loads and loads but nothing happens and I have to force-close the app. I think I'll give this game a rest and play something else until more patches drop. Shadow Warrior 2's coming out tomorrow anyway.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I like the outfits. It's nice to be able to wear a suit again. :unsmith:

I'm slowly making my way through the game in little two-hour chunks every couple days. It really helps with the repetitiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Ok, I'm finished after 35 hours. After a while I stopped bothering with side missions and 100%-ing district takeovers, because there's just too much filler in between the very very good and fun story missions. Overall, I had a good time, but the game doesn't need to be this long. Looking at this and Mafia II's 13 hours, which I thought was too short, I would've been happier with something in between.

Also, having silenced guns sooner would've helped. Once I got the silenced SMG and pistol combo the game became a lot more fun.

Also also, it was worth playing through II to properly appreciate Joe and Leo turning up in the ending. Donovan was just icing on the cake. :allears:

• Locked thread