Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So the new DLC was announced. Which reminds me of the last shenanigans the publisher pulled and yanked Joe's Adventures right out of the middle of the game when it was already completed, causing a complete break in the story line that pissed off Daniel Vavra so much, he quit game development for a while and drat near didn't come back to the industry. Along with the open ended missions and leader boards being cut for DLC as well.... which honestly was, at the time, a new low for gaming.

I loved Mafia 1, still liked Mafia 2 but definitely didn't agree with their DLC decisions. Looks like they are doing it again - so I wonder how much they will fracture the story again in place of profits.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

While I'm also weary of that (fukkin' 2K! :argh:) it sounds like this may be legitimate post-game content the way the announcement sounds. Which of loving course it does. But I'm real hopeful that it's finally better.

But that said, don't ever loving buy the pre-order with the season pass included. I have yet to see any one of those have a discount applied so there's no point in ever buying it before the DLC is actually out and you know if you want it.

Can only hope. I love the soundtrack linked.... Those are some awesome songs. And I love the IP itself. Mafia II could have been the best in the series had it just had all it's parts included in the shipment as planned instead of what basically amounted to charging 10 bucks 2 weeks after launch to get back what was in the game to begin with and slashing Joe's Adventures. It would have been one thing had it been worked on post release. It was slashed and was supposed to originally be in the game when Vito went to jail. Which is also why everyone saw that part of the game being the most absrupt cuts ever.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SilentW posted:

Oh hey cool someone made a thread for the game I'm working on. Hi everybody.

Did your publisher cut entire story segments out of the game to sell as DLC, thereby destroying the game fluidity, taking out open world features, and causing Daniel Vavra to quit in disgust like what happened in Mafia 2? Or did they learn their lesson to never pull that poo poo again? If the latter, I would consider that a good sign this time around.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but now he trolls people on twitter about race in Bohemia circa 15th century and makes a game about killing hussites.

Sadly, I actually have to ask this question this time around after the abortion of the release which was Mafia 2. Because aside from all that, I loved Mafia 2, it's writing, and the story and all the game play. And I can only imagine how great Mafia 2 would have been with Joe's Adventures not being renamed Joe's Adventures to sell as DLC, and having that finished and completed design in the game to take over when Vito went to prison (As what was intended about 2 weeks prior to launch). Not to mention the open world that was cut to sell as The Betrayal of Jimmy (Preorder DLC) and Jimmy's Vendetta.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. wasnt like everything gutted. like the melee system, the side missions, half of the story, a ton of weapons and stores. its sad because there was a great game there but it didnt happen. :(

Yep. It was all scheduled to ship with all that included. Mafia 2 was supposed to have all the Jimmy missions in as the open world portion for other things to do if the player wanted to take a break from the main story arc. Joe's Adventures wasn't a DLC. It was the time period when Vito went to jail up until when he got out. It was built with a specific purpose to give an appreciation for the jail sentence (A sense of time passing), and at the same time explore Joe in much more detail. It's why everyone face palmed when they saw the abrupt story pacing issues when Vito went to jail and when he got out which then made absolute sense when they realized Take Two cut a third of the game (Finished content mind you) out to sell as an add on. It would be like GTA 5 having Trevor's entire story as DLC and all the open world events as DLC as well. With only Michael's missions and maybe a tidbit of Franklin's.

So let's hope to God they don't pull that poo poo again this time around. Because as much as I loved both games, after what they did I told myself I wouldn't buy a Mafia 3 as a result of what they pulled in 2.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really sometimes wish we'd get a directors cut of Mafia 2 with what they really intended now :smith:.

Well, when you play Mafia 2, just imagine that Joe's adventures is after Vito goes to prison. In fact, if you want, you can stop game progression and do not start the next mission when Vito goes to prison, play Joe's adventures, and loop back around again to restart main story progression. You would basically have everything there from a cohesive story perspective.

With that said, considering what they did to Mafia 2, I see this and it concerns me that they are going to gut it once again for DLC.

quote:

“Faster, Baby!” will see Lincoln partner up with Roxy Laveau, an old flame, to take care of a corrupt Sheriff who’s been making trouble for Civil Rights activists in New Bordeaux.

“Sign of the Times” has a spookier tone, with Father James asking Lincoln to investigate ritualistic killings.

In “Stones Unturned” Lincoln joins CIA agent John Donovan to settle a blood feud that was born in the jungles of Vietnam.

You can get a feel for the content by perusing the gallery below.

All three story expansions will cost you $39.97 if you opt to buy them separately.

Time will tell if those story DLC's would have made impact on the main story once we play the full release, or if they are completely separate missions that do not impact anything. Either way, knowing they already have storyboards and layouts/information/titles done, it's a good bet this poo poo was cut from the game and is being repackaged like Mafia 2's DLC content.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SilentW posted:

I can personally verify that all the paid DLC for Mafia 3 that I know of is original content that was never slated to appear in the main storyline or game.

That's great news :)

You have been promoted to special goon status.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Everyone that plays Mafia games plays them for the story. The problem is, Daniel Varva has nothing to do with this one and left the company after 2K sliced his Mafia 2 story to poo poo and back for DLC, which in turn had sent the story line into a pacing black hole of garbage.

What I would like to know is if there is a review embargo and copies aren't being sent out, how the hell did Angry Joe get a copy. To me, that smells like paid for promotion right there, and he hasn't been disparaging at all about the game. basically saying the only thing that gets stale after a while (And little variety) is taking over territory from other mobsters in side content.

With that said, we have a developer here that has stated none of the content has been cut for DLC this time around. So, we will see. Mafia 2 suffered big time because of that.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 4, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure doing promoted content without disclosure is against Youtube's TOS now and I don't think a guy like Angry Joe would risk a kerfuffle like that, but I have no idea how he got it. If there are others then yeah it's just them sending copies out to Youtubers which makes sense since no one reads reviews anymore.

Well, you know what's funny? Is that he was stating in his video he had to turn the music off so Youtube wouldn't find out about it.

Pretty drat sure he is promoting and not disclosing it.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

drunkill posted:

Most big youtubers got flown to New Orleans for an event last month where they got to record a ton of game play footage.

Probably from that but maybe parts he wasnt supposed to show off until closer to launch.

Flown to New Orleans by 2K I am guessing? Which means everyone should have disclaimers on those videos.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Who cares if some idiot on YouTube with an unfunny gimmick personality was paid to play a game and say it's good?

He's a loving YouTube personality.

Echoing above. It goes to ethics which are severely missing in the gaming industry.

1) Don't release review copies so people can read reviews (Most with a grain of salt anyway but still) before purchasing the product and combine it with 2, which is illegal in the United States (And I am guessing elsewhere)

2) It's illegal to promote a game without disclosing you are being paid to promote it, there by if one doesn't, attempting to stealth/viral consumers into buying something that isn't the genuine opinion of the streamer.

3) Combine the two, which they are doing, is even worse.

Game might be just fine and fantastic. But after what they pulled with Mafia 2, and now this little shenanigan, we should all question the game and publisher at this point.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The GIG posted:

When did they get paid? They got flown to an event and most if not all have disclosed that so they are hardly doing anything illegal.

Well, for starters, getting flown to an event which is being paid for and hosted by the publisher, is getting paid. (Free trip to New Orleans). Did they also get a hotel stay? Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner? And they did disclose that, but if they are talking about how great the game is after that without always disclosing that according to FTC guidelines in their videos, they are already over the line.

Don't need to mash this thread up with that, but considering the abortion that was Mafia II and the cut content which completely destroyed the pacing of the story (Mind you, I still liked Mafia 2 for the most part but instead of a 7/10 it easily could have been a 10/10 with the open world features not cut, and Joe's Adventure's placed exactly where it should have been (The timeline stories from when Vito was in prison up until he got out) I was just saying it is something to note. They should have just come out with the game.

And if it is so bad they cannot give a copy one week early to review sites where a hail mary day one patch may or may not fix all the glaring issues (If that is even the case) advice should be to just wait and see from the gaming community in general.

Either way, I hope it is good, and doesn't suck. I loved Mafia 1, and even though Mafia 2 was butchered I still finished it and liked the character development and settings/some of the story. Let's just hope they didn't gently caress this one up.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

I hope they shoehorn in a 1930's race car level that enrages everyone. :rms:

Okay, so that answers the question of "Should I buy this or not?". Now, how big of a clusterfuck is the PC release going to be? If the PC version has more gore and blood then it's totally worth the pain of .ini tweaks and poo poo.

If you have a high end card it will be worth it. (If it is anything like Mafia 2 and Phys-x) I just upgraded to a 1070 GTX. I'll probably wait for a couple days before I make the choice. either PS4 or PC, or I can also stream from PC to Steam Link on a big theater system. A major part of me would want big sound for the music sound track. But yeah, bugs and all that. My guess is due to the nature of the launch as we know it, and if rumors are true that they didn't give review copies because they have a 30gb Day One patch to fix everything, they most definitely didn't get around to garnering support from NVIDIA for driver updates and the entire PC version will be a complete poo poo show for a few weeks.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wonder if the twist is that Lincoln is half-black and Joe was his father. He was raised in an orphanage and Joe did gently caress off to the southern United States for around 5 years, around the time for Lincoln to be born.

Could be a nice tie in for why Vito would help Lincoln out too, revenge for what happened to Joe notwithstanding.

That would actually be pretty cool :)

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

This is the first time I've seriously considered buying something straight from steam because the extra cost seems like it might be worth it for the insurance of being able to return it.

I forgot about that. I may do that too then.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Deakul posted:

How rude.

Those events you mentioned in GTA5 were all awesome and fun distractions. Littleorv dislikes fun.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ripped from one of those comments on Gaf.

quote:

mission structure is insanely repetitive.
weapons are not very varied.
melee kill animations (while satisfying) are not varied enough to keep the satisfaction rolling.
story and writing continues to impress.
not much to explore in the city, basically driving from this "kill everyone" mission to another "kill everyone" mission.
I initially loved the collectibles, but now I'm realizing the only incentive for me to explore the boring buildings of the city is to see naked girls in the playboy magazines
3 hours = 'holy poo poo this is amazing', 6 hours = 'I wish there wasn't so much gameplay in between story beats'

Also, talks of major pop in.

I play these games for the story, but Mafia 1 and 2 had mission variation which was awesome. I cannot imagine all they did was put kill missions into the game all drat game.

Is the PC version locked at 30fps??

Edit: With that said I cannot believe I just read a thread on loving Neogaf.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 6, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

According to twitch streamers, yeah.

Luckily, the human eye can only se

LOL.

I was fired up to check this out on PC this time around since I just replaced by 770 with a 1070. Will see if that is being fixed with the day one patch, if not, that's just crap.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

I'm actually rather excited that even though the game has technical problems and possibly suffers from repetitiveness the writing has universal praise. I can easily forgive repetitive gameplay if the writing is good.

Mafia games have always been well written. However, it is good that is being touted as good considering Daniel Vavra left the company in utter disgust after they slashed half of Mafia 2 for DLC. Once he left, that was the main concern I had with Mafia 3 development. I am happy to see the new writer(s) are doing well here. Sounds like they could have invested in some actual game play designers however and character skill building.

They need to address the 60fps issue and the day one patch better resolve the pop in issues as well.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

drunkill posted:

New nvidia drivers are now out. Also, drat you steam, I thought the game was unlocking 15 minutes ago because the store page said "This game will unlock in approximately an hour' for the whole previous hour, then of course switched over to 'This game will unlock in approximately less than an hour' this hour. Just have a countdown timer. bleh. Oh well, I have Friday off anyway so starting to play a little after 3am is fine by me.

Boy they did a ton to optimize for Mafia 3.

quote:

Added or updated 3DV profile.

- Mafia III - not recommended

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Yeah so with that said above with the PC version this sums it up pretty well.

1) PC version sucks. Lots of crashes, 30 Fps, even a lot of frame hitching has been reported. (After day one patch)
2) Xbox One version sucks. 720p without dynamic scaling and doesn't even hit 30 Fps most of the time.
3) PS4 version is 1080p at 30 FPS and so far so good.

If you own all three devices for gaming, the PS4 version seems to be the way to go this round until patches hit the PC version.

And now we also know why they held back the review copies. Not a shocker.

Looks like the PS4 version for me unless I hear differently from the masses.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The GIG posted:

I'm still not sure how people feel more than "drat, that sucks" when a game isn't at 60. I prefer it a lot but it's not going to ruin my day if it's locked to lower, just ends up being a checkmark in the negative column instead of "Game Ruining poo poo".

When you are controlling with a mouse and keyboard it's ridiculously bad. With a controller, it's better. However, that isn't the only issue with the PC version. After day-1 patch reports are frame stutters, hitching, texture problems, animation issues, and crashing. The PC version regardless of 30 fps is a mess. So for me, unfortunately, my 1070 GTX is still relegated to playing Witcher 3 and some legacy games. Which means the choice for me will be the PS4 version. As long as reports stay decent on that platform.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

drunkill posted:

Two hours in. Game owns. Running smoothly here, although I'm not on the highest settings, need a better PC for that :(

The soundtrack is loving astounding, they've used music to great effect in the story missions, when Paint It Black comes on... man.
Plus, when Elvis comes on the radio while you're cruising around the Bayou... it just feels right.

Once they release a patch hopefully that calms most of the PC masterace haters, because the game in there is pretty solid, I'm having a blast so far, sure, it might get repedetive in the next few hours once I've finished Act 1, but so far so good.

Yeah all reports are that the game itself, aside from repetitive side missions in the hours of 3-6 (Then it picks up again with variety according to a few posts) along with the sound track is awesome. I'll be going with the PS4 version tomorrow. But would have REALLY liked to have given this a run on my new 1070. :(

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

30 FPS isn't the end of the world and people who refuse to buy a product based off of it are ridiculous drama queens.

:suicide:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SilentW posted:

I can personally verify that all the paid DLC for Mafia 3 that I know of is original content that was never slated to appear in the main storyline or game.

Paging SilentW. Can you possibly shed some light on the PC issues if you can say anything at this point?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

fish fingers posted:

You seem upset

He should be if he was looking forward to something that should easily support 60 Fps and not be locked down. There is no excuse for it. And some people need to stop downplaying it. Next thing some of these folks will say is we shouldn't be so entitled to play 60fps games and be lucky we get 30... :mediocre:

But worse than all that are the poor PC releases lately anyway.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Welp, sounds like 2k thinks it's important as well or a lot of others just cancelled their orders from the news enough that they are going to make it happen.

Good news.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The thing is that 30 FPS is playable to all but either elitests or those who have a sensitivity to framerates that trigger motion sickness or the like. 10 isn't. 20 barely counts but not really. I'm not championing those numbers but 30 is playable just fine. Yes, I'd prefer 60 or even uncapped, but the "30 FPS cap, refund plz!" crowd are ridiculous. But besides,

The point being there is literally no reason to cap it. None. Like, what so ever. And either way as you noted, it is being patched. You are a minority in which 60+ fps gaming doesn't matter. I used to be in that minority. I also used to think I never needed a smartphone either. And now that I have been using one for years, I do not expect Apple to come out with a flip phone and say "Deal with it. Good enough".

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

60FPS compared to 30 is hardly worthy of that comparison. A flip phone makes calls, texts, and and maybe does some organization and media. A smart phone does all of that, has the entire internet in reach, open source development, apps for insanely specific uses that only a few people would ever need, and is generally an all around useful tool for most everything in day to day life at this point. It even allows posting to internet comedy forums.

But 60 FPS is just a really, REALLY nice, smooth experience. 30 is just good. It's not worth canceling or refunding a purchase over by virtue of itself and if you do you're overreacting. If it actually breaks something, sure. But who cares, a 60 patch is incoming so I guess you'll live.

I am buying it on PS4 now anyway because of all the other poo poo that isn't patched with the day one patch. How about this? How about all versions get implemented to the best of their ability instead of least common denominate developing the industry into the ground?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Could almost be said of any game in the past two years.

Well, right now this port may rival Arkham Knight. Now new reports of anything over 1080p being crushed on scaling.

Basically just a lovely port all around. Dark are you planning on getting this and do you have a PS4?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
LOL Sweet Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvcNODuFg5c

It may be time to get this just to laugh hysterically at everything that goes wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvezu8K5pk

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

It only affects the ones with the updated firmware. The rest are totally fine. This is fine. Everything is fine.

I love the part in the video where there is obviously a basketball game going on, but no one is playing basketball.

Ghost hunters needed in New Orleans. Stat.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wonder if people gave a gently caress about GTAV being 30fps when it first released on PS3. they probably didn't

You are right. We didn't. Because it was a game released on the tail end of a system life cycle released in loving 2006. When the PC version came out, it scaled to 4k and 60 Fps and was loving gorgeous and pushed hardware boundaries. A year and a half ago. With the PS3 or XBox 360 we knew we woulnd't see that on that hardware. If GTA5 came out on PC in the shape Mafia 3 just did, there would have been an epic poo poo storm, believe me.

Of course, the difference between Rockstar and 2k is like comparing Jesus Christ to Ted Bundy. Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their products/customers.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 6, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Serial killer shaming itt.

Hey speaking of that I wonder if I can track down Ted Bundy and kill him in his game. 1) He is white. 2) He would be roughly in his 20's.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

MadBimber posted:

You know, I was on the fence, but after seeing him face slam people from standing up, I think I'm sold, bugs and all

Oh for sure. Just make sure you get the PS4 version if you have a PS4. Otherwise on the X1 you will be at 720p30 and it looks horrid. PC version you will crash and will want to play at 1080p native. Anything higher than that your resolution crushes, along with UI and text.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The GIG posted:

This is the dumbest sentence I have seen all year.

Why do you feel that way? Look at the consumer friendly game launches of Rockstar games compared to 2k. If you want we can just compare and contrast Mafia Vs GTA series alone. Here's an example: If GTA 5 was published by 2k, two of the three major character plot lines would have been stripped to sell as DLC (The Franklin Pack and the Trevor Pack), all open world activities would have been DLC (Michael's Vendetta) and the PC version would have come out running at 720p30 for console parity wrapped around a review embargo with youtubers and a few twitch streamers flown all expenses paid to New York City for a weekend to promote the game without FCC regulated banners.

Oops.

Don't worry Gig, I am still getting the game on PS4.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Xeremides posted:

Until 2k patches Bioshock: Remastered on PC so that it stops crashing, and resetting my difficulty to medium, they're full on serial killers. No hyperbole here.

That too. Jesus. Crashed 5 times. But I cannot complain about that because it was free since I already owned all three games.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CJacobs posted:

"Rockstar actually gives a gently caress about their customers", man says about company that's been delaying singleplayer dlc for literally 3 years in favor of pushing out monthly mixture of paid, free, and otherwise gated behind ingame cash multiplayer dlc packs

Would you rather see RDR2 ship by next Spring, or would you rather play a 19 dollar DLC for GTA 5?

Choice is yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Also, it does not cost you any extra money to play a game at 30fps, that is a pretty fallacious arguing point my man

No, but it sure doesn't help our hardware investments (The same investments publishers like 2k make revenue off of when they plaster "RUNS LIKE A BABY BACK RIB PLATE WHEN FAT ALBERT COMES IN THE HOUSE WHEN YOU USE NVIDIA") all over their game and also promote buying hardware to support higher end gaming and then just common denominate develop, rush a 3rd party port out the door, and give the middle finger to that entire consumer base.

That's always great thinking isn't it.

• Locked thread