Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So I'm guessing we are going to definitively find out what happened to Joe from Mafia 2. He's probably dead but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

I wonder if Mafia 2 aged well. I don't care that the world was "dead", Mafia 1 was equally dead. Those games aren't open world they're just wrappers aroudn the stories.

I would have had a lot more fun if mafia 1 wasn't open world. I hated driving in that game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Meanwhile, I am hoping that they don't take race head-on because all of the previous attempts have been pretty drat embarrassing. But we will see. It's a subject that I don't see playing out too well if all of the past iterations, the solutions have all been violence and shootouts, when during that time period, you had to be smart to succeed. I had problems with Django Unchained for similar reasons.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I see what you mean. I hope they go full force with it. No games really go that far to see how awful bigoted assholes were/are. games like DE-MD try and do ok but its not the same thing. and personaly, i want a django unchained type of game.

I say that because Django handled race pretty badly in choosing to ignore a bunch of other poo poo about slavery to focus on one dude to the extent that every other black person in that movie outside of 3 of them are just background noise. It's even worse considering that Tarantino thought that his movie was going to one up Roots.

While I don't think they should ignore it, I get the feeling that it won't be handled the way that it should, especially if your game is another shooty mccover shooter.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

While the open world was barren, the part that really made me realize it is the section in Mafia 2 where the game tells you to raise money, and basically the only way to raise money was by stealing cars and selling them. It seemed like they wanted to give you a variety of things you could do.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The one thing I remember that came out of the blue was the part where you find out who killed your dad. It just felt out of place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Wait what? Considering what the developers have been trying to do with Mafia 3, I don't see why game sites wouldn't critique social issues and morality. In fact, its an aspect of gaming that is basically at the forefront that I really don't trust most youtubers to be able to handle competently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

I think the issue ( and the reason why youtubers are becoming more prevalent ) is that nobody trusts the game sites either.

I really wouldn't know other than the internet forum crowd who are pretty self-selecting in a lot of ways. I guess it's a moot point considering that people aren't really taking the statistics for a lot of these website ventures.

But it's clear that some people are reading and put a lot of faith into them considering the shitstorm that AAA games get whenever they precious hyped game gets a score lower than a 9.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i would say average to low suck probability. My guess is the story/setting/race/environmental stuff will be great, with the gameplay and missions being ok/maybe good but people will knock points for AI,glitches, repetition and not being GTA. it also helps that its apparently handling all the race stuff pretty well.

I have strong doubts. I haven't really heard much of anything dealing with race other than how cops handle you and you being able to shoot klansmen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The GIG posted:

The mixed race experience is a super complicated one and I hope they don't gently caress this up supremely because it's real easy to forget people like me exist.

I think there have actually been a slew of mixed race characters recently, although to me it always comes out feeling lazy because it hardly ever seems to matter. Off the top of my head I can think of

-Clementine from Walking Dead
-Alyx
-Aveline
-Connor from AC3
-Lance Vance from GTA Vice City
-Red from Red Dead Revolver
-Faith from Mirror's Edge
-Also the protagonist from Remember Me is mixed race as well.

I am sure there is more.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 5, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

60FPS compared to 30 is hardly worthy of that comparison. A flip phone makes calls, texts, and and maybe does some organization and media. A smart phone does all of that, has the entire internet in reach, open source development, apps for insanely specific uses that only a few people would ever need, and is generally an all around useful tool for most everything in day to day life at this point. It even allows posting to internet comedy forums.

But 60 FPS is just a really, REALLY nice, smooth experience. 30 is just good. It's not worth canceling or refunding a purchase over by virtue of itself and if you do you're overreacting. If it actually breaks something, sure. But who cares, a 60 patch is incoming so I guess you'll live.

Its a $60 game that basically only exists for recreation. There is little to no point in trying to browbeat people into spending money on stuff that is subpar for them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the people upset about 60 FPS are pc players. I mean it's not unprecedented. Most games will run at 60 FPS provided your machine can support it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Nobody is locked out of playing a videogame by it being targeted at 30 fps. You're only locked out if you choose to have a moral standing against it. It's a self-imposed barrier. I agree that it is better to leave it in the hands of the end-user to tweak their own settings but the only people it's locking out are snooty dudes who turn up their nose at "console plebs".

edit: the problem with allowing people to take 100% advantage of their hardware is exactly what you said. Everybody's computer is different, and if you try to make it so everybody can play your game by totally unrestricting it, it's gonna be a madhouse. Limits like this are a way for the developers to make sure that everyone can play it without throwing caution to the wind.

No. Nobody is being locked out but I can't think of a reason for 60 FPS to not be an option considering the competition on pc.

People are allowed to be upset about design decisions and you're allowed to be fine with them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

incorporeal posted:

When did I defend 2k?

Well you said people were crying because they had the nerve to criticize a game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Ruggan posted:

This game just looks like another forgettable story-mode fps hitman-like gta-like. I can't get enthused about it.

It's ok. The story and presentation are good. But the gameplay is sorely lacking. It's repetitive, the combat is really nothing special and neither is the stealth. I'm playing just to see the story then trading it in.

Spec ops the line is the game it reminds me of.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Doppelganger posted:

Downloaded on PS4 last night. After I chose the brightness, it went to the installation screen where it seemed to start at 13%. Almost an hour later, it's at 19%. Would it speed up if I put the PS4 in rest mode or something, or would that gently caress up the game?

It's still downloading. You can just put it in rest mode

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So far the worst thing about this game for me are the Cops. They are such horse poo poo. Sometimes I can lose them pretty quickly, most times I feel like they chase me for 10 minutes before I even escape the circle. They love to do the whole spawn cop cars in front of you thing, even when I break LOS.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Songbearer posted:

What's the general concensus? I'm getting a mixed bag here. I loved Mafia 1 because of its storytelling but Mafia 2 felt like a huge disappointment for me, so I'm kind of wary about this game. I admire its setting and the presentation looks great, but I can't get a bead on the gameplay.

It's a solid game with some visceral combat. But man, I am tired of doing the same types of missions over and over again. There is something off about it to me. It's like its missing missions that are specifically designed. So far outside of the mission where you take on the haitians, every mission has been basically in the open world. I can at least say about Mafia 2 that their missions were a bit better designed and it's nowhere near one's mission structure where it seemed like most of the game was tailored around specific settings made specifically for that mission.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Google Butt posted:

ive never played a mafia game, is it fun and worth the full price?

I don't think it's worth full price, not when you can get it used down the line since the game really does lack replay value. I think it is sort of fun, but only if you play it for bits at a time. The repetitive missions will probably drive you crazy otherwise.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I really like the move where Lincoln faceplants the person into the ground. It is unintentionally hilarious to me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cross posting from the PS4 thread:

After playing Mafia 3 a bit more, I really can't recommend it for full price. The game has crashed on me multiple times, and there are other reports of it crashing on people. The story showed some real promise when the game started off, but now that I am in what I assume to be midgame, the story has been pretty non-existent and has simply been replaced by kill this guy that you know barely anything about to take his territory. The mission variety is abysmal, with some missions even taking place in the same spot as other missions. And the race thing while I guess a step up from other games, I still can't help feeling disappointed by it. Outside of the N-word and the broadcasts and some shots, it just feels so invisible.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

bloodysabbath posted:

The story is intriguing but so far I've only killed one of the ten bosses (about to do the second), and if this loving structure never changes... hoo boy.

I think what separates this from something like GTA V is that GTA hides its basic loop with all sorts of neat tricks and story content. Mafia 3 flat out just tells you to go do x y and z to bring down a number before getting the boss. It does this ten times, then the game is over. Bleh.

bloodysabbath posted:

The story is intriguing but so far I've only killed one of the ten bosses (about to do the second), and if this loving structure never changes... hoo boy.

I think what separates this from something like GTA V is that GTA hides its basic loop with all sorts of neat tricks and story content. Mafia 3 flat out just tells you to go do x y and z to bring down a number before getting the boss. It does this ten times, then the game is over. Bleh.

The thing with GTA V is that it actually seemed like they individually designed their missions and they are somewhat scripted. This they kind of plotted out enemy patrol roots and placed them and called it a day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

man nurse posted:

Guys, help, I think I'm about to buy this game. I can't resist what I've seen of the story and setting, it just seems really awesome. I'm down for some solid gunplay and sneakmans, as well as driving around collecting titty magazines.

Just know that the story kind of takes a dump after the beginning but will probably pick up later. The missions are really repetitive but when the developers actually plan around them, they can be awesome (Like the hotel section). Honestly, I would say wait til it's cheaper. But if none of those things turn you off, then I say go for it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Anime_Otaku posted:

Since it's been mentioned, are the playboy magazines excerpts from real issues with regards to the ones that have interviews in them or are they about the fictionalised parts of the game world?

They are real.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

If the man paid for the game like everyone else and is playing through it like everyone else, I see no reason to stop him from posting. He has been pretty spot on with all of his criticisms. Some people can play through the repetitiveness but at this point I really only want to see the story and I am having some modicum of fun with it, but as soon as I am finished, I am trading it in. It isn't something I see myself playing through again. The whole race thing kind of disappointed me because I guess I blew it up into being something that it actually wasn't.

Also, the mission design for the actual area bosses are so much better than the rest of the game. The amusement park, the hotel, the quarry are really thrilling to play through.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Yeah I agree here. And the scenes after that. When I hung the guy from the Ferris wheel I started getting really fired up to see some great things. Those types of cut scenes have happened once or twice since then, and it's those and to wrap up the story which keeps me playing. Really I hope to see something involved with what happened to Joe and some sort of twist which will make all the mundane worth while.

Well.... Joe is technically in the game but he doesn't really say anything and they don't really tell you it's Joe, the camera kind of lingers onto him and he looks like Joe.

Kontradaz posted:

You clearly can't handle criticism of a game you play lol.

Getting close to the end here, it seems like the latter quarter or so feels less repetitive - at least the cool story missions are closer together it feels like.

I think I am about to hit that point. A bunch of loose story missions just opened up for me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tae posted:

I don't know how people get chased by cops outside of story stuff. I literally crash into cars and speed red lights in front of them all day without a buzz. The only time I alerted the cops non-story was lightly bumping on the car at the beginning of the game.

Stealing cars mostly when I didn't see a cop nearby

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The Southern union missions are different for the simple fact that you can't even recruit the racket bosses. You just straight up kill them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I did it the hard way, yet somehow survived.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tae posted:

"Hey Lincoln, kill this important boss in a super armored car surrounded by a billion cops."

"Okay." *pops off bribe for cops, shotgun person in their car.*

-Mission Complete-

I didn't even think of that. I just tailed him and then shot him in the head when he was buying drugs and left.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

eleven extra elephants posted:

Man, I tried, I give up with this awful game. What a waste.

I powered through it but I feel ya. Just check out the rest of the story beats on youtube.

The only thing I think you will miss is the pretty cool missions that are unique to each boss. They are usually good setpieces.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

So after 47 hours I've finished it and I have to say I'm still firmly in the game's good camp. I was lucky in that I only had 5 real bugs to speak of ( two ctds, two instances of duplicated npcs in cutscenes ( the end of Cassandra and Burke's favour missions ) and a weed boat that went pinwheeling into the sky as I approached the mission zone, but reset after I drove around elsewhere on the map. I didn't have to push myself to take over the districts and I enjoyed just driving around the map. I do get the complaints about the repetition, but I felt that I was able to change stuff up enough to keep things fresh. I do think the cover system could have been a little better, I couldn't even get going around corners to work properly, and quality of life stuff like being able to switch shoulders would have been great.

I know you can switch shoulders on console. Im not sure what the key is on PC.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Also make sure you are regularly picking up your kickbacks. I am not sure if you get another one until the one that is pending is picked up. The only time you should really be low on money is after you go on a spending spree buying upgrades, everything else is chump change.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm currently doing Burke's car poo poo and SEVERAL TIMES as I start towards one of the police impounds I'll just get a message that the car was randomly destroyed and I need to go find another.

I know exactly what's happening, I've witnessed it. The same double-spawning behavior that causes underbosses to show up twice often happens in police lots. I was in one once and allofasudden a police car spawned in one that was already there, shooting them both up fifty feet into the air and exploding.

e: And of course the loving crashes are back. gently caress this lovely terrible game.

Cut your losses. Although I do know the feeling where you have put so much work into something and you want to stop, but you just want to see it through so you can put it behind you.

My suggestion? Just rush through the story and ignore the side missions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Spoilery question for those that have beaten the game.

I know Joe and Leo show up in Mafia 3 thanks to an rear end in a top hat friend. My question is, do they have any bearing on the core plot, or are they entirely tied to Vito's sidequests?

Leo does, Joe is more like a non-speaking cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

N17R4M posted:

So wait, was Joe turned into fish chum, or was Joe Leo's driver who gives you that sly grin at the end? Because Vito claims the former, but I can't help but feel Leo's driver looks familiar.

Joe is the limo driver. I think Vito just got some misinformation.

• Locked thread