Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GTA5's map kicks the poo poo out of Stilwater. Ya'll trippin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The best open world map is actually Red Dead Redemption because it's the only game to have a legitimate reason to be mostly empty

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's a cool map but only because there was loads of money and resources put into it. Everything outside the city is like 90% pointless and empty and I kept wishing I could do half the stupid side stuff/activities SR has to offer

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The best open world map is actually Red Dead Redemption because it's the only game to have a legitimate reason to be mostly empty

Actually this might be the right answer, I forgot about Red Dead.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

GTAV's map is one of the very worst parts of the whole game. 50% useless ocean, 30% empty barren land with nothing to do and 20% actual stuff

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's a cool map but only because there was loads of money and resources put into it.

What a weird criticism.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I never understood the poo poo RDR got for being empty when that's true for every single open world game ever. At least I had a reason to ride out into the wilderness on my horse and kill banditos or hunt animals: because I'm a loving cowboy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

GTAV's map is one of the very worst parts of the whole game. 50% useless ocean, 30% empty barren land with nothing to do and 20% actual stuff

But that 20% is loving gold. Each individual block of Los Santos has a billion little details that were made by someone who can only be described as 'passionate'

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What a weird criticism.
It doesn't really feel like a labour of love the way Stillwater does, I guess. It's a big detailed city because it kind of had to be, but I don't really feel much personality from it or any desire to explore it, Stillwater has loads of cool weird poo poo like the sex dungeon under the graveyard that sticks out to me way more than anything from Los Santos. It's more of a technical achievement than something I care about as a game world

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
stilwater had more character than steelport. it's pretty easy to figure out which part of town you're in without having to check the map. steelport was too samey. the towers they added in 4 were fun to platform but you only have to do that once and there's no need to go through them again.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

SR1 stream is live

https://www.twitch.tv/DSVolition

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
dear lord, the brian farrell rap

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The Kins posted:

dear lord, the brian farrell rap

You couldn't get any whiter if you tried.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It doesn't really feel like a labour of love the way Stillwater does, I guess. It's a big detailed city because it kind of had to be, but I don't really feel much personality from it or any desire to explore it

This is entirely on you. If you actually bothered to look around, you would have seen an insane amount of personality and details in practically every square inch of Los Santos. There is a staggeringly, mindblowingly huge amount of little touches everywhere. Labor of love is the only way you could describe it. For instance, the block that Franklin lives on is just chock full of poo poo. I'm not even sure why I brought up that specific block because every single block is that like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is entirely on you. If you actually bothered to look around, you would have seen an insane amount of personality and details in practically every square inch of Los Santos. There is a staggeringly, mindblowingly huge amount of little touches everywhere. Labor of love is the only way you could describe it. For instance, the block that Franklin lives on is just chock full of poo poo. I'm not even sure why I brought up that specific block because every single block is that like that.
hmm. nah. :mrgw:

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

you brought itmup because its the only interesting block in the entire lovely version of comtpon

GTAV map is trash bruh

hth

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

such as?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I really don't feel like reinstalling GTA5 just so I can show blind people how blind they are.

Step 1) Go to anywhere in Los Santos
Step 2) Look in any direction

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

I really don't feel like reinstalling GTA5 just so I can show blind people how blind they are.

Step 1) Go to anywhere in Los Santos
Step 2) Look in any direction

"Los Santos has so much care and personality put into it."

"Like what?"

"....."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

There are subtle sex jokes in every building, like Mickeys hidden in Disney World.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Action Tortoise posted:

"Los Santos has so much care and personality put into it."

"Like what?"

"....."

Sorry I don't have a photographic memory about a game I played a year ago. It's just utterly silly to say that GTA5's world is totally devoid of any character or details. I do remember that the beach area looks loving identical to Los Angeles. See for yourself!

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the pedestrians in gta5 do really amazing and unique things, all with their own set of animations! such as:

-walking

-sitting down

-holding coffee/food

-dropping coffee/food and not picking it back up

-taking out their cell phone and talking on it

-dropping their cell phone and not picking it back up

-running away

pretty incredible stuff honestly.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

*drives past billboard for new season of Game of Groans* hahahahaha, drat! Roasted *drives past a club named Club 420* Oh my god. Rockstar, you brilliant bastards. *drives past stupid brain dead millenial taking selfies in the middle of the freeway* *pauses game* *does that little Italian chef hand kiss gesture*

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

codenameFANGIO posted:

There are subtle sex jokes in every building, like Mickeys hidden in Disney World.

To be fair, that also applies to Saint's Row 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

*drives past billboard for new season of Game of Groans* hahahahaha, drat! Roasted *drives past a club named Club 420* Oh my god. Rockstar, you brilliant bastards. *drives past stupid brain dead millenial taking selfies in the middle of the freeway* *pauses game* *does that little Italian chef hand kiss gesture*

Sorry I forgot we were comparing to Saints Row 2, the most subtle of satires.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

3rd Street Skyrims: Elder Saints the Fifth.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

3rd Street Skyrims: Elder Saints the Fifth.

I always thought that subforum was kind of funny because there was just one Saint's Row thread and two dozen Skyrim threads.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What kind of discussion were they expecting?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

>start generic Asian mission
>bamboo and water and plinky string sounds
>"YOOOooWUUUUUH"

Oh my God they nailed it.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry I don't have a photographic memory about a game I played a year ago. It's just utterly silly to say that GTA5's world is totally devoid of any character or details. I do remember that the beach area looks loving identical to Los Angeles. See for yourself!

that doesnt seem like personality and a labour of love rather than 1:1 recreation which could be done by a chinese person getting paid 50c an hour to map locations based on photographs sent to them

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are we now downplaying the skill required to make massively detailed open world maps?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Are we now downplaying the skill required to make massively detailed open world maps?

your retarded

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
:(

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

you can make something skillfully but it still turns out as souless by the numbers garbage

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

noone said it didn't require effort or skill.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sorry about your thread OP.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

trying to jack off posted:

you can make something skillfully but it still turns out as souless by the numbers garbage

by the numbers? By what numbers? Reality? Other games?

"Pssh ANOTHER hyper detailed fictional recreation of an actual city? I'm really getting sick of playing all these ultra realistic simulation games"

Is your argument that they look TOO good? I truly don't understand

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

by the numbers? By what numbers? Reality? Other games?

"Pssh ANOTHER hyper detailed fictional recreation of an actual city? I'm really getting sick of playing all these ultra realistic simulation games"

Is your argument that they look TOO good? I truly don't understand

your retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Realism is boring

• Locked thread