Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What is Black & White?
Released in 2004, Black & White is both the quintessential god game and the quintessential Peter Molyneux game, and it was really the start of the dev running his mouth and hyping his games to all hell. To demonstrate, let's read the back of the box:

quote:

The worlds of Eden await your arrival from the heavens, and the many tribes that populate the lands wonder in which form you will come. Will their hearts flood with fear or enlightenment? As your power and influence grows, will you use it to fuel miracles of terror or compassion? Will you teach your creature to raise hell or raise hope? Will you be good or evil, black or white?

Quite the picture of lofty, divine importance being painted there. However, crack the game open and pop the disc in and you get a goofy, godly romp that's deeply flawed - but still deeply lovable. I mean, I certainly seem to think it's worth experiencing. To that end, join me, along with a fistful of unsuspecting goons who have never laid eyes on this game: Korean Boomhauer, ElTipejoLoco, and Pyroi. There may or may not be other commentators along the way.

As per preliminary poll, we will be an Evil god.

Videos

Episode 1: My Alignment is Pragmatic Evil
Episode 2: Welcome to Ape
Episode 3: Beartorials

Remember, NO SPOILERS. THIS MEANS LIMIT YOUR DISCUSSION TO WHAT WE'VE ALREADY SEEN IN THE LP.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren:AND LIZWIZ DID SAY TO HIS PEOPLE, SPEAK NOT OF THINGS THAT HAVE YET TO BE SEEN, OR BE CURSED WITH SILENCE BY THE MODERATORS:siren:

HALL OF UNHOLY FANARTIFACTS

Devout thread poster The Ayshkerbundy rendered unto us the work "powerful bear" on a stone tablet.

Just your average NPC, courtesy of The Ayshkerbundy.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 7, 2016

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I demand that we weaponize the corpses of our people. Set them on fire and spend an hour trying to throw them at others.

You know, AFTER the already recorded stuff is done with.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Like a lot of people I really really really wanted to like this game, but could not get over the hump of the campaign gameplay for the life of me. e; welp your thread your rules, the odds of me still having this opinion in land 2 and onward are pretty good i suppose.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 21, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

Like a lot of people I really really really wanted to like this game, but could not get over the hump of the campaign gameplay for the life of me. If you aren't super duper benevolent good

We DO have a spoiler policy, y'know. Please save it for Land 2.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 21, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Molyneux... isn't that the Fable guy?
God, I forget things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alexeythegreat posted:

Molyneux... isn't that the Fable guy?
God, I forget things.

I believe you mean the Godus guy.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe you mean the Godus guy.

I just looked up Peter Molyneux games because I had no clue what Godus is and Google reminded me of the existence of The Movies :suicide:

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
Oh man, this game. I am of the firm opinion that this was probably the best game Molyneux ever made. Shame he never figured out what made the older games his studio made good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This game is a gas for 3 worlds and abruptly turns to torture at world 4, as I recall.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I could never quite beat this game. Looking forward to see how it's done.

Also, for the love of all that is unholy, please tell me you get better at throwing because that was painful to watch.

Feb 24, 2013

afaik, throwing in b&w wasnt that difficult.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Buried alive posted:

I could never quite beat this game. Looking forward to see how it's done.

Also, for the love of all that is unholy, please tell me you get better at throwing because that was painful to watch.

Only if the thread believes in my throwing skills hard enough.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 22, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh hey, B&W. Some fond memories, some rather more vexed ones. I did some horrible, horrible things.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Finally. Lizard Wizard has been going on about this one for a while, and as much fun as it is to fondly recall playing this game as a smaller human, it's one you really need to see to truly appreciate.

I'm not quite sure if appreciate is the word to use for it, but whatever. The first big Molyneux failure was the best one, and anyone who disgrees is incredibly loving welcome to do so.

I recall the box being double-sided, black and white, which each side opening up to a more traditional back-cover experience (screens and blurbs). This is one of maybe three times I'd ever actually noticed box art in my life.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So what's the policy on Creatures and Creature Swapping anyway? Are we going to choose what we're getting and can we swap to new one if we unlock something people like better? Are we going to have access to the Creature Isle and patch ones?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chimera-gui posted:

So what's the policy on Creatures and Creature Swapping anyway? Are we going to choose what we're getting and can we swap to new one if we unlock something people like better? Are we going to have access to the Creature Isle and patch ones?

I'm a deity, not a democracy.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Oh hey, B&W. Some fond memories, some rather more vexed ones. I did some horrible, horrible things.

I am mildly impatient for the bit where we can start swapping notes regarding strategy in the Actual Game and not just the tutorial so we can all slowly realize we're temporarily frustrated Satans :)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

So no choosing creatures but are you at least going to show off how unlock certain ones?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lizard Wizard posted:

If it was a democracy, we would have no living mortal fleshbags worshippers left.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chimera-gui posted:

So no choosing creatures but are you at least going to show off how unlock certain ones?

I plan to show off everything I can.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I for one welcome our evil god LizWiz the Destructor, the Traveler, Volguus Zildrohar, and Lord of the Sebouillia.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Black & White, the game where you play a god that can do anything except for throw something to save you life. Would've been nice if they included something that showed the direction and trajectory of anything you were about to throw.

I'm sure I hit the same wall in this game as every one else did and never did see how it ended so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out and if you can raise a creature that isn't a totally dysfunctional mess (good luck). Your closing remark hit a pretty good point of criticism for this game though; do you really need a creature? In the end it was more a thing you had to babysit than use as a tool.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 22, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think I ever talked to anyone that didn't just teach their creature to be a destructive jackass. The game really doesn't encourage you to be good outside the context of certain quests.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I remember throwing failing in this game if you accelerate too sharply, as demoed (like a million times). It's really tricky. You gotta start the throw really slowly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A sneak preview of what you can look forward to in bonus episodes: http://tindeck.com/listen/rythj

If any of you post the rest of the outtakes I am going straight to the report button. :colbert:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Willie Tomg posted:

Like a lot of people I really really really wanted to like this game, but could not get over the hump of the campaign gameplay for the life of me. e; welp your thread your rules, the odds of me still having this opinion in land 2 and onward are pretty good i suppose.

I've started this game countless times, grew frustrated and at most reached the first land beyond the tutorial before giving up. It doesn't help that you have to sit through that goddamn tutorial teaching you camera controls every single time.

Watching someone play it, who knows what he's doing unlike me, will probably be more fub.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Watching someone play it, who knows what he's doing unlike me, will probably be more fub.

About that...

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Your closing remark hit a pretty good point of criticism for this game though; do you really need a creature? In the end it was more a thing you had to babysit than use as a tool.

Black&White is IMO less of a game and more of a couple of neat ideas, like the monster, the physics-enabled god hand and the HUDless interface stuct together with the barest minimum of effort and the simplest possible filler.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
Black and White, I was so hyped for this game when I was younger. Not sure I ever managed to complete it even when I came back to it later.

I look forward to seeing the ride ahead :D

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Black & White, the game where you play a god that can do anything except for throw something to save you life. Would've been nice if they included something that showed the direction and trajectory of anything you were about to throw.

I'm sure I hit the same wall in this game as every one else did and never did see how it ended so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out and if you can raise a creature that isn't a totally dysfunctional mess (good luck). Your closing remark hit a pretty good point of criticism for this game though; do you really need a creature? In the end it was more a thing you had to babysit than use as a tool.

I taught my creature to fling poo poo and fireballs at people and buildings. Really helped put the fear of me in people while I was off doing some objective or whatever.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Oh Black and White, I have equal measures of love and anger over you but I'll get to that as LizWiz is progressing through the game.

Fun fact: This game was localized for several countries, even my dinky little corner of the world, i.e Sweden. Unfortunatly most of these localization were so bad that Lionhead had to issue a patch that restored the english version.

Seriously, the swedish voices for your good and evil guides were really terrible and I can only imagine how bad it was with other european countries.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I might be wrong, but I remember being able to also move around using wasd or the arrow keys?

The Dutch version had some really campy voice acting at times, but it was all part of the experience.

Also, if you have a very large amount of villagers, or you want to find a specific villager or npc, you could switch on an option in the menu to be able to toggle dialogue boxes with their names and what they are doing (I think with the L-key?). I vaguely recall that this is only possible after visiting the Garden of the Gods, though, so you'll have to break your promise never to go there. I might be wrong, since it has been 15 years...

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Only 15 years ago? Wow, seems like a lifetime to me.

I loved this game but, apparently like everyone else, I was poo poo at it. Vaguely remember downloading a critter (maybe a tiger?) from either a magazine site or lionhead themselves.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pennfalath posted:

I might be wrong, but I remember being able to also move around using wasd or the arrow keys?

The Dutch version had some really campy voice acting at times, but it was all part of the experience.

Also, if you have a very large amount of villagers, or you want to find a specific villager or npc, you could switch on an option in the menu to be able to toggle dialogue boxes with their names and what they are doing (I think with the L-key?). I vaguely recall that this is only possible after visiting the Garden of the Gods, though, so you'll have to break your promise never to go there. I might be wrong, since it has been 15 years...

S actually toggles the little information boxes, so you'll see those pop up here and there as I instinctively try to WASD.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pennfalath posted:

Aagh. Some of the actors did a fine job, but some iffy translations combined with other actors putting on this pinched and snotty performance just set my teeth on edge. I was happier when I got to play the English language version.

I also remember that when the death of a villager is announced, in the English version there's a creepy whisper of "deeeaaath", in the Dutch one a lady calls out in an increasingly despairing voice "DOOOOOOOD"

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

davidspackage posted:

Aagh. Some of the actors did a fine job, but some iffy translations combined with other actors putting on this pinched and snotty performance just set my teeth on edge. I was happier when I got to play the English language version.

I also remember that when the death of a villager is announced, in the English version there's a creepy whisper of "deeeaaath", in the Dutch one a lady calls out in an increasingly despairing voice "DOOOOOOOD"

Oh god, yes, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD was so funny! The reason not to build a certain structure.
Also, I didn't say there was consistent good Dutch voice acting, just that the whole experience was made much funnier by it.

Edit: and of course, one of the most infamous parts, which I won't spoil, was one of the highlights in the Dutch version as well ("Oooo, we hebben...").

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Howabout a Celestial Bureaucracy :downs:

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I utterly loved this game.

I never had the trouble you seem to be having wrt throwing things though, are you not holding the button down? Or do I just have rose glasses on at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
B&W was interesting with it's effectively UI-less, gesture-heavy controls. I say interesting in that it turned out the reason most games had keyboard shortcuts and UI buttons were because they were a lot easier to interact with than gestures. Sure, it's charming to do something with a gesture the first three time, but when it's something you have to do over and over, you start longing for just being able to do it by pressing F1.

• Locked thread