Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Idk about BW, but in BW2 the gestures were totally unreliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I remember the throwing being wonky, and the gestures were a pain in the hole to work.

I don't think I ever completed it though. When I originally bought it I couldn't run it smoothly on my PC at the time, which really made the controls a nightmare. Years later when I upgraded I went back but I guess the main story wasn't interesting enough to keep going.
What the game needed was a free play mode. The most enjoyable parts of the game were teaching your creature to be an rear end in a top hat and causing destruction to the people. An open mode against AI Gods and their creatures would have given a reason to keep playing.

The game was so hyped and lacked so many of the features Molyneaux promised. The only one that comes to mind at the moment was the previews mentioning how the creature was chosen. Originally it was supposed to be any animal in the game could be chosen and turned into giant pet. So you could pluck a chicken or cow from a village and use that as your pet, or find a wolf or lion in the wild. Basically all animals were available as long as they had a sprite in the game and you could find one of them.
There was much more ambitious promises but for some reason that one I remember.Also the creature AI was hyped as revolutionary but from my recollection of the release, the internal scripts showed the creature behaviours were already programmed in and you would unlock them for the creature by doing them in front of him. Though I may be wrong about that.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 22, 2016

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Marenghi posted:

I remember the throwing being wonky, and the gestures were a pain in the hole to work.

I don't think I ever completed it though. When I originally bought it I couldn't run it smoothly on my PC at the time, which really made the controls a nightmare. Years later when I upgraded I went back but I guess the main story wasn't interesting enough to keep going.
What the game needed was a free play mode. The most enjoyable parts of the game were teaching your creature to be an rear end in a top hat and causing destruction to the people. An open mode against AI Gods and their creatures would have given a reason to keep playing.

Wasn't that the F2 garden of the gods?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The_Final_Stand posted:

I utterly loved this game.

I never had the trouble you seem to be having wrt throwing things though, are you not holding the button down? Or do I just have rose glasses on at the moment?

I think it might be my mouse, honestly.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I remember never beating this game, but loving everything about its premise as a kid.

Godspeed, LizWiz.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

1488 posted:

afaik, throwing in b&w wasnt that difficult.

It really isn't.

LizWiz, you better pick the best of the starting creatures! Hint: It's the herbivore :bahgawd:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 23, 2016

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Slaan posted:

It's the herbivore :bahgawd:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Looking forward to seeing all the smiting I never did in my way-too-neutral run.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I always played as a good god, though I can't explain why yet due to game mechanics stuff that hasn't been covered.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I played good too, because that's the way I play every game. It sounds stupid, but even in imaginary situations, I can't be anything but a good guy.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I dream of an android tablet port of Black and White. I never did beat it, but I don't think I could replay it on a PC without wanting to punch myself.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Always went good as well, even if it got a bit... well, we'll get to that when we get there.

I'd comment on some other stuff, but most of it's going to have to wait for the second world.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I remember this game. I think I still have it.

Not that I ever got past the first world, I don't think the game jived with me that well.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Still annoyed my prevote wasn't the winning team, Good for life!

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Ah, Black and White. A game that almost worked, but the control scheme, long tutorial, and confusing creature stuff didn't quite fit together. I never got too far into the second island. I could never throw things, either.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
How did the sequel stack up against the first?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Marenghi posted:

How did the sequel stack up against the first?
It pretty much ripped out all that made the first game interesting and then proceeded to neuter the Creature A.I to the point that you had to purchase certain behaviours and miracles for it, instead of having to teach it by hand.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I always tried to play good, but invariably swapped to evil somewhere down the line.

Evil gets results.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I deleted this because of spoilers so instead I'm going to add more jibes about your horrible throwing abilities

Unfortunately I can't think of anything, you're getting off easy this time

Also good job throwing things, McCantThrow McGee.

Roar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 24, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Evil was more fun but didn't completed silver scrolls in an evil manner usually mean no reward?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Marenghi posted:

Evil was more fun but didn't completed silver scrolls in an evil manner usually mean no reward?

Pragmatic evil means being good sometimes for the rewards :ssh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, this game. I still have the original CD stashed somewhere. I loved it while I played it, but in retrospect it was terrible. Ah, to be fifteen again :allears:

Looking forward to this LP!

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I sunk a lot of time into 1 and 2. I still enjoy 2, don't ask me why. However I can't get it to run on win 10.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Slaan posted:

It really isn't.

LizWiz, you better pick the best of the starting creatures! Hint: It's the herbivore :bahgawd:

also I never got the hang of evil runs.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2016

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Might be getting ahead of myself on discussions.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 24, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guys, the spoiler policy isn't that complicated. Cut it out.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 24, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Went ahead and added a reminder of the spoiler policy to the second post since, y'know, apparently it wasn't already clear.

If you're not up to date, it's very simple: don't.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 24, 2016

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
There's been a lot I've wanted to comment on, but you haven't really gotten to the meat of the game yet. Next update should have some interesting player interactions.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah basically there's a LOT to talk about regarding Black and White and one of the things is it takes like three motherfucking unskippable hours to start. You aren't even at the parts that take a long time before the game begins.

The posts must flow. I can feel them within me. Burning.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
See ya in a couple of months I guess

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
When I played this game a certain sidequest of a lyrical variety encouraged me to figure out how to throw poo poo properly. Nothing quite like skipping "stones" over the ocean.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's a weird way to spell <people>

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011
This Let's Play has convinced me to dig out my copy and play along.

How well does it run on Windows 10? Am I better off trying on Windows 7?

I'm convinced I got into scripting custom multiplayer maps for this back in the day. Might be able to find them! :D

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Morbidmind posted:

spoilery stuff

Please, don't even refer to spoilers obliquely. If something hasn't shown up in-game yet, pretend it doesn't exist until it does. (Seriously, what part of "no spoilers" are you people not understanding?!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CptWedgie posted:

Seriously, what part of "no spoilers" are you people not understanding?!

They're excited to see the game LP'd but there isn't enough content in the first half hour of the game to have any fun discussions about.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So how about that other comet we passed huh, was that another god getting summoned to Tau Ceti V?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

double nine posted:

So how about that other comet we passed huh, was that another god getting summoned to Tau Ceti V?

...I didn't see any other comets. Where was this?

Anyway, no, that wasn't a god being summoned to another world, that was the result of a cat praying. In other words, that's gonna be our pet cat. :D

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It was that pod thing SHODAN caught a ride in after first System Shock; I guess we could count her as a god.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

...I didn't see any other comets. Where was this?

Anyway, no, that wasn't a god being summoned to another world, that was the result of a cat praying. In other words, that's gonna be our pet cat. :D

1:50 you see another glowing comet thing crossing the black 2D plain in the upper-right quadrant of the ... universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Episode 2: Welcome to Ape

• Locked thread