Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Smiles
Jul 26, 2007

I bonk all night,
and I bonk all day.
Grimey Drawer
I'm already likin' the LP so far. I remember playing Black & White as a kid, but I sucked and could never get past the first world. It'll be fun to see where this LP goes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doctor Smiles posted:

I'm already likin' the LP so far. I remember playing Black & White as a kid, but I sucked and could never get past the first world.

:stare:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Cut him some slack, kids can be really dumb sometimes and everyone can get stuck in videogames.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I remember I beat this as a kid but drat did I do it horribly wrong. I got through on dumb luck, incompetent god indeed.

I was also the biggest dick to everyone and my creature. I remember a really dumb technique I used to cheese the game, I'll talk about it later when it's not spoilers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I never quite managed to finish Black and White, but I'm actually pretty fond of the sequel. It leaves in plenty of the intuitive/gesture-based touches, but it also brings back the interface and lets you select which behaviors to reinforce with your creature. It also let me win by crushing enemy troops with rocks and then building crazy-huge cities, which is totally my jam when it comes to these mixed city/combat sims.

I liked B&W2 too, but it always felt like it was an alpha for a good game. It was missing a lot of features that it looked a lot like it was designed to have (stuff that is in the first game but we haven't seen yet so I won't mention). I honestly had more fun playing a fan-made sandbox map than the actual campaign. But I did have fun.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 26, 2016

Doctor Smiles
Jul 26, 2007

I bonk all night,
and I bonk all day.
Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Cut him some slack, kids can be really dumb sometimes and everyone can get stuck in videogames.

Yeah, I was like 9 or 10 at the time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TBH the first two islands are ... relaxing? Not quite as fond of the first island because of tutorialitis but just setting up a giant forest and growing the village store to overflowing is pretty relaxing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

E: God donked the video. Sorry!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The commentary gets a bit out of sync

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah, about 10-15 min in you're talking about your desktop and then the video is completely out of sync from there.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I think it has something to do with that one sudden screenshot of the monkey showing up for like half a minute at 11:46

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think it has something to do with that one sudden screenshot of the monkey showing up for like half a minute at 11:46

Yeah, that's because lizwiz didn't want to have his desktop in the video.

Blame him.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pyroi posted:

Yeah, that's because lizwiz didn't want to have his desktop in the video.

Blame him.

The appears that he put the monkey screenshot in at the wrong time

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
So, is everyone constantly being shocked at how skinny the beast is just going to be a theme for the entire LP?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TheDarkFlame posted:

Yeah, about 10-15 min in you're talking about your desktop and then the video is completely out of sync from there.

Well, poo poo. I'll take a look later.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thread title keeps being prophetic :allears:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, managed to unfuck it.

Episode 3: Beartorials

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 27, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

e: double post.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
LizWiz do we need to set up a GoFundMe or something to get you a better mouse?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure birds are actually a particle effect and can't be interacted with.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You really have to wonder why all these people are acting so entitled to divine intervention.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You really have to wonder why all these people are acting so entitled to divine intervention.

This is really the thing that put me off Black & White the most. If they'd only worked a bit harder on the script and direction, they could have made it work and had your subjects be properly reverent for you, but everyone just treats you like their babysitter.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Excessively entitled people is just classic British humor to me v:v:v

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I forgot just how long the tutorial level lasts.

And as far as I know, there's no way to skip it or speed things up if you want to replay the campaign.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've tried replaying it a couple times, now that I'm not a stupid ten year b old. But the length of this island just killed me each time. Too bad there isn't a fan patch or something that lets you skip most of it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I got to the fourth or maybe even fifth island before this game wore me out. Loved the idea and some of the execution. Other parts were hideous. Looking forward to the LP though!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Whybird posted:

This is really the thing that put me off Black & White the most. If they'd only worked a bit harder on the script and direction, they could have made it work and had your subjects be properly reverent for you, but everyone just treats you like their babysitter.

Greed is to be commended. :colbert:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Having just watched the video.... I'm almost entirely sure that poop raising land fertility was one of the things they cut. The only actual way to get rid of the stuff is to pile it up and set it on fire. Picking up the flaming poop before it turns to ash and using it as ammo is, of course, entirely optional.

I'd comment on the importance of knowing how to grow trees, but that's something that will have to wait until the next world.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Unoriginal One posted:

The only actual way to get rid of the stuff is to pile it up and set it on fire. Picking up the flaming poop before it turns to ash and using it as ammo is, of course, entirely optional.

Actually, I think you can also fling it into the ocean; if I remember right from my years of not playing, that gets rid of pretty much anything, if you can get it in deep enough water.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

thedaian posted:

And as far as I know, there's no way to skip it or speed things up if you want to replay the campaign.

Actually, the 1.30 patch added an option to jump to the end of the first land on every playthrough after the first. The trick is, you can do that even if you hadn't gotten there on the original one. So you start the game, press Esc as soon as you can, go into options->players, start a new game and select "skip creature tutorial" or whatever the option is. It's way too circuitous than it should be, but at least it's there.

While we're on the topic of tricks, here's a useful one if you want to start training your creature early: during most of the game a handy message will pop up from time to time at the bottom of the screen, telling you about the state of your creature, it's intentions, current action, etc. It can also be forced by hovering your hand over the creature. It's extremely important for rewarding and reinforcing (or punishing) the actions you want your creature to learn, because the little bugger has at the same time a completely one-track mind, and the attention span of a proverbial goldfish. So it's entirely possible for it to switch from "has just eaten a man" to "is paying attention to you" in a matter of seconds, and interpret the 100% beating you dish out for it as a discouragement from observing and learning from you. For the same reason, slowing down the game with alt+1 is very useful in the early shaping of your creature since it gets you a bit longer to react.

...Except for some reason the devs decided to lock the messages out until the end of Land 1 :doh:. There is a way to get them earlier, though: start any skirmish game and quit it as soon as it loads. The messages are enabled there by default, and when you pop back into the main campaign, they stay enabled.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

Actually, I think you can also fling it into the ocean; if I remember right from my years of not playing, that gets rid of pretty much anything, if you can get it in deep enough water.

I was going to bring that up too, but I couldn't recall if they were floaters or not; though I suppose launching them over the horizon would work either way.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Does throwing poo poo garner belief?

"Look, up in the sky - it's a turd!
It's a plane!
No, it's su ...oh wait, it is a turd."

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

snograt posted:

Does throwing poo poo garner belief?

"Look, up in the sky - it's a turd!
It's a plane!
No, it's su ...oh wait, it is a turd."

Pretty much anything you do with visible consequences generates belief. There's a sliding scale; less impressive things get less belief, and doing the same thing repeatedly gets diminishing returns. Of course, there's a few divine tricks you can add to make throwing a rock actually fairly impressive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Throwing a rock gets old, throwing a fireball gets old. Throwing a rock that is about a half step from being magma not so much.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Throwing a rock gets old, throwing a fireball gets old. Throwing a rock that is about a half step from being magma not so much.

One of my first priorities in each map was establishing a proper charcoal pit. :colbert:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Aumanor posted:

Actually, the 1.30 patch added an option to jump to the end of the first land on every playthrough after the first. The trick is, you can do that even if you hadn't gotten there on the original one. So you start the game, press Esc as soon as you can, go into options->players, start a new game and select "skip creature tutorial" or whatever the option is. It's way too circuitous than it should be, but at least it's there.

While we're on the topic of tricks, here's a useful one if you want to start training your creature early: during most of the game a handy message will pop up from time to time at the bottom of the screen, telling you about the state of your creature, it's intentions, current action, etc. It can also be forced by hovering your hand over the creature. It's extremely important for rewarding and reinforcing (or punishing) the actions you want your creature to learn, because the little bugger has at the same time a completely one-track mind, and the attention span of a proverbial goldfish. So it's entirely possible for it to switch from "has just eaten a man" to "is paying attention to you" in a matter of seconds, and interpret the 100% beating you dish out for it as a discouragement from observing and learning from you. For the same reason, slowing down the game with alt+1 is very useful in the early shaping of your creature since it gets you a bit longer to react.

...Except for some reason the devs decided to lock the messages out until the end of Land 1 :doh:. There is a way to get them earlier, though: start any skirmish game and quit it as soon as it loads. The messages are enabled there by default, and when you pop back into the main campaign, they stay enabled.

I wish I knew about the skirmish trick when I used to play. Having your monster change his focus almost randomly would make teaching proper behaviors a pain in the rear end. The monster might be getting the hang of a simple thing like ''eat food from the granary', but then you might be trying to teach it to throw rocks and accidentally hit the granary. Suddenly, it has the new behavior of 'when I'm hungry, I should throw rocks into the food supply', and good luck unlearning that. There were so many bad habits your monster would pick up when you're just trying to learn how the game works, that it would be a bit of a mess by world 2. And accidents were plentiful. You can gain strength by walking your monster around while carrying a rock but it hates carrying a heavy thing and will eventually chuck the rock over it's shoulder in annoyance. Hope you weren't walking it near your town...

It suffers a lot from Molyneux syndrome of promising more than it can deliver. He made a quote about Fable having acorns knocked from their branches eventually becoming trees, which was never seen in the final game. But he always seems obsessed with having trees growing trees in his dream games.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I feel so vindicated by these posts that I'm going to post tomorrow's video riiiiiiight...

Episode 4: Blunder and Lightning

...now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

thiswayliesmadness posted:

It suffers a lot from Molyneux syndrome of promising more than it can deliver. He made a quote about Fable having acorns knocked from their branches eventually becoming trees, which was never seen in the final game. But he always seems obsessed with having trees growing trees in his dream games.

Molyneux has always wanted to create fantasy Star Citizen.

The problem is, he's always delivered fantasy Star Citizen.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You know what I want to see? A god game set in a near industrial era.

I know the original(never going to happen) plan for the Black and White series was to have 6 games with advancing technology, but I want to see a game where they're praying to their god to protect them from the dense smog that same god is creating in their steampunk temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Are you doing some of camera grinding? It's probably a good idea, to teach you ape a few things, before progressing.

• Locked thread