Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Air is lava! posted:

Are you doing some of camera grinding? It's probably a good idea, to teach you ape a few things, before progressing.

whenever lizwiz does something that turns out too well, they actually off camera load a previous save to make it worse, as well as unteach the monkey and starve it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
I always taught my ape the food, water and lightning miracles (maybe even some others) before going to the point of no return, and then used the reward from the sheep quest. If your creatures knows offensive miracles, fights are much easier.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

FicusArt posted:

whenever lizwiz does something that turns out too well, they actually off camera load a previous save to make it worse, as well as unteach the monkey and starve it more

Fun fact: The creature data is stored independly of the save data, so literally the only thing loading a save does for the creature is changing its position to where it was when you saved. Size, needs, learned skills and behaviours all persist.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Aumanor posted:

Fun fact: The creature data is stored independly of the save data, so literally the only thing loading a save does for the creature is changing its position to where it was when you saved. Size, needs, learned skills and behaviours all persist.

Because of this, if you want to be really gamey (like I did when I was fifteen and played this game :ssh:), you can start a skirmish game with your main-game creature, teach it all the miracles, and then re-load your main game. Voilą, super strong creature before even passing the point of no return.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I bought this game when it was new, and I enjoyed it well enough, but holy poo poo is it hard to be good. Even beyond the immediately obvious problem of "you need to constantly micromanage and tend to the whiny little shits that worship you or you get Evil Points," there's also an issue that it's not always telegraphed what's good and evil. Obviously, dropping a rock on that stupid motherfucker that keeps crying for wood instead of picking up a loving axe and fixing it himself is evil, but taking grain from fields is evil? Holy poo poo, I should not have had to learn that from a Let's Play made fifteen years later. I thought I was speeding poo poo up because I can harvest fields way faster than they can!

Also I knew it was more efficient to convert enemy villagers by doing stuff for them and various other methods that haven't been covered yet, but it was so much easier (and more gratifying) to throw flaming rocks at them or have my creature eat them until it was a nice empty village, ready for me to send my excess people into.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So regarding the fake music stones there is allegedly a use for them, but for some reason it's not working for me ( I could elaborate but the mechanic hasn't shown up in the LP yet and I'm not sure if that's allowed under the no-spoilers policy).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

MechaCrash posted:

I bought this game when it was new, and I enjoyed it well enough, but holy poo poo is it hard to be good. Even beyond the immediately obvious problem of "you need to constantly micromanage and tend to the whiny little shits that worship you or you get Evil Points," there's also an issue that it's not always telegraphed what's good and evil. Obviously, dropping a rock on that stupid motherfucker that keeps crying for wood instead of picking up a loving axe and fixing it himself is evil, but taking grain from fields is evil? Holy poo poo, I should not have had to learn that from a Let's Play made fifteen years later. I thought I was speeding poo poo up because I can harvest fields way faster than they can!

Also I knew it was more efficient to convert enemy villagers by doing stuff for them and various other methods that haven't been covered yet, but it was so much easier (and more gratifying) to throw flaming rocks at them or have my creature eat them until it was a nice empty village, ready for me to send my excess people into.

Well, it's also good to put that grain into the storehouse, so if you're doing it just to speed up the process you'll still break even.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Y'know, harvesting from fields is considered Evil, subsequently putting the grain in storage is considered Good... but how does it treat watering the fields to speed up the next harvest? Is that considered Good, or is it just a thing you can do?

I kinda expect the answer to be "it's Good" but games can be obtuse sometimes.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 28, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am glad that there is moral relativity in a god game. Makes it easier to know who to keep alive.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Look, okay, I'm a little behind and this is weirdly apropos to like one specific thing from the third video, but:

I work for a primate research center. I will 100% confirm, from experience, that monkeys (or at least, rhesus macaques) give zero shits about what their food has been sitting in. Or, well. I can at least confirm that they give zero shits about WHERE they poop-or-worse, and without the unbounded jungles and forests of south and central Asia that they would call home under normal circumstances, they have decided they care more about pooping wherever the hell they want than they do about not eating food that has poop on it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

powerful bear

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Why do I remember the giant creature as being a Lion? Does it change depending on which creature you pick or am I just insane?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Why do I remember the giant creature as being a Lion? Does it change depending on which creature you pick or am I just insane?

It does.

Cow gets a sheep mentor, monkey gets the bear, and the tiger gets the lion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I definitely remember the guide being a lion because I was like sixteen and picked the tiger, because of course I did.

this is good

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

PoptartsNinja posted:

It does.

Cow gets a sheep mentor, monkey gets the bear, and the tiger gets the lion.

What if you get the Sheep creature before starting the creature training sidequest? What mentor do you get then?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mikl posted:

What if you get the Sheep creature before starting the creature training sidequest?

This is technically impossible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Episode 5: This DLC Won't Shut Up

Today, Loco is not a fan of horses. Also, we're joined by Mazo Panku.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So now that we already know that villagers will dance around objects you place in the village: has anyone here managed to make them dance around the fake singing stones? I think the're some of the largest carryable objects in the game, and are also indestructible which means you won't break them by accidentaly clicking on them like a dumbass , but for some reason my villagers (on the first land) would ignore them entirely , while at the same time dancing around a freaking FENCE I accidentally picked up and put back down.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aumanor posted:

So now that we already know that villagers will dance around objects you place in the village: has anyone here managed to make them dance around the fake singing stones? I think the're some of the largest carryable objects in the game, and are also indestructible which means you won't break them by accidentaly clicking on them like a dumbass , but for some reason my villagers (on the first land) would ignore them entirely , while at the same time dancing around a freaking FENCE I accidentally picked up and put back down.

iirc throwing one into the portal to the second land does the trick - in the first land they're quest objects and I'm guessing that overrides the artifact mechanic, but once you're in a new level that no longer matters.

It's literally been 12 years since I played though so I may be misremembering.

It's quite funny, if you know what's coming you can make a mockery of the second level's difficulty by staying on island one, turning everyone into breeders/farmers/lumberjacks, placing a bunch of rocks around the creche so that the kids'll turn em into artifacts and get to island 2 with a metric buttload of resources.

The designers don't appear to have foreseen this.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

double nine posted:

It's quite funny, if you know what's coming you can make a mockery of the second level's difficulty by staying on island one, turning everyone into breeders/farmers/lumberjacks, placing a bunch of rocks around the creche so that the kids'll turn em into artifacts and get to island 2 with a metric buttload of resources.

The designers don't appear to have foreseen this.

Well, I guess, but then you just have to spend even loving longer on the lovely first island with limited powers. It's not as if the second world is hard enough to warrant such excessive preparation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Our incompetent God has an incontinent creature.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Well, I guess, but then you just have to spend even loving longer on the lovely first island with limited powers. It's not as if the second world is hard enough to warrant such excessive preparation.

just leave the game on while going shopping. It's not like anything needs to be actively managed

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Have I mentioned how horrifyingly vague the NPC's faces look?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So did you teach the creature while everything was being lightning'd to death?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah, second land isn't really worth waiting around to super stockpile for, and for the third land...

Well, if you know the real use for Artifacts you can do something in the second land that will set you up for food and wood for the rest of the game.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Is there any way possible way to get 1 or 2 to work on win 10? I've tried everything..

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
the only methods that work are a bit :files:

More importantly is there a way we can talk you into taking the horse for glorious horse noises :allears:

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
As long as you constantly steal from the friendly god in land 2, everything is fine.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want to see some poo poo-flinging at the enemy god. Probably the flaming kind.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

rocket_man38 posted:

Is there any way possible way to get 1 or 2 to work on win 10? I've tried everything..

For the first game, I recommend patching to 1.3 and grabbing a crack, which is absolutely necessary as the DRM is basically broken on newer systems. This at least works on Win7.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 1, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lizard Wizard posted:

For the first game, I recommend patching to 1.3 and grabbing a crack, which is absolutely necessary as the DRM is basically broken on newer systems. This at least works on Win7.

Cool. Windows 10 is unfortunately uniquely terrible for playing older games, which is a shame because now that I'm a crotchety old bastard I've developed the opinion that only old games are good. Cannot get Arcanum working for the life of me, nor Demise.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Unoriginal One posted:

Yeah, second land isn't really worth waiting around to super stockpile for, and for the third land...

Well, if you know the real use for Artifacts you can do something in the second land that will set you up for food and wood for the rest of the game.

oh. OH. I'd forgotten all about that.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

double nine posted:

oh. OH. I'd forgotten all about that.

I always found it a bit funny that the best solution to a certain problem that comes up later is only ever mentioned in a randomly selected loading screen tip.

While I can't say it's true today, I was, like, one of the only people who knew about it way back when.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

double nine posted:

iirc throwing one into the portal to the second land does the trick - in the first land they're quest objects and I'm guessing that overrides the artifact mechanic, but once you're in a new level that no longer matters.

It's literally been 12 years since I played though so I may be misremembering.
My memory is that I threw all those fake stones in and they just didn't come out the other side, but yeah, like you say, years ago.

OTOH I remember that you could easily change which creatures the game offered you just by going into the files and swapping the names around.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm already missing our goofy creature, but I'm glad we're moving on from that tutorial.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I remember throwing in a song stone, only to see it land in the ocean when it came out again.

I have three favourite little things about this game.

Thing 1 is that when it came out, someone quickly found out that the character model for Max Payne mapped onto the Cow surprisingly well.

Thing 2 is that if you make a hot enough pyre, you can set rocks on fire and have an always-on-fire boulder to fling at your enemies.

Thing 3 is that the game would read your Outlook Express contacts and name villagers after them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Elfface posted:

Thing 3 is that the game would read your Outlook Express contacts and name villagers after them.

That's not the only thing it does in that vein, but I don't know if lizwiz's setup is going to do the REALLY freaky thing, so spoilers.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Godna posted:

the only methods that work are a bit :files:

More importantly is there a way we can talk you into taking the horse for glorious horse noises :allears:

Lizard Wizard posted:

I got nostalgic yesterday and decided to find out how can I get BaW working on Win10.

I ended up using a fanpatch that supposedly fixes stuff like the game thinking a current PC is really low end (ah, the times when memory was counted in MBs), fixes up graphics and patches out the DRM from the executable. Seeing how the DRM was literally killed by MS because it was dumb and stupid, I don't think this is really :filez: stuff. :shrug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Got through all the videos and goddamn, you really play an incompetent god. :v: What is wrong with your mouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Xarn posted:

Got through all the videos and goddamn, you really play an incompetent god. :v: What is wrong with your mouse?

This game's controls have always been poo poo. It gets worse when you need to start casting miracles the hard way.

• Locked thread