Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm honestly blown away by the fact that three different people (one of whom had to bow out before I posted the thread) offered to make these headers and I feel super bad now because it's like I'm rejecting or discarding someone's effort either way. Sorry. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

I'm honestly blown away by the fact that three different people (one of whom had to bow out before I posted the thread) offered to make these headers and I feel super bad now because it's like I'm rejecting or discarding someone's effort either way. Sorry. :(

Geocities that poo poo up and make each post a different style!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Alright - fixed all of my current issues, thanks to the person that reminded me to add the skse.ini to MO. Speaking of which, the OP is missing a section for tweaking the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini files. Now to download 10+ gigabytes worth of textures on Australian internet. :saddowns:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Speaking of which, the OP is missing a section for tweaking the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini files.

Only technically correct: I have a link to a guide in the "Modding Resources - Other Sites" section because I didn't think it was reproducing the work the STEP team already did.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My bad. I expected it at the top near modding tools and just plain didn't notice that all the information I've needed so far is actually right there in the OP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, I thought it over and realized that I should probably do a bit more in the "Before You Mod" section, because having that stuff up front in a guide is not an unreasonable expectation! So I've made a link to their guide and a recommendation to at least consider their steps up to their mod list into item #1 on the "Before You Mod" list.

eta: Also don't beat yourself up too much, the OP is actually 3 huge loving posts so it's a lot to take in :psyduck:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sillybones posted:

What will the remastered version mean for current mods and modding in general?
We don't really have any details yet. But it looks like it will essentially be Skyrim's assets, updated/remade and placed in FO4's iteration of the Creation Engine.
This means that most of your basic mesh & texture replacers can be ported over. However the question will be if for example a face texture replacer will still look good in the new lighting.
Any plugins however will have to be recreated in an updated version of the Creation Kit. Hopefully for your average mod user, things will be backwards compatible enough that you can simply open the plugin in the CK2.0, have it automatically update records and all you have to do is save the newly converted plugin. If we're unlucky a lot of mods will have to re-created, which means trouble for mods whose creators have moved on.
Also from what footage we've seen so far, it looks like they're taking advantage of the larger memory budget available to them and are placing some extra stuff in the gameworld (plants, rocks, etc). Which can cause issues for existing mods that add stuff to the gameworld. Think a mod's merchant stall clipping with a tree that wasn't there in the original version.

The biggest potential problem will be SKSE. F4SE is nowhere near to having the features SKSE has. The SKSE team have already said that - if possible - there will be an update. But expect it to take a while. Which in turn means it will also take a while for mods like SkyUI, or any other mods that depend on functionality added by SKSE, to get an update.

As for modding in general: It will continue. Though with the introduction of Bethesda.net as a mod distribution platform and console-mods, expect an increase in modders throwing hissy fits. We already have some wonderful early entries. Be sure to stock up on popcorn and enjoy the show.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

We don't really have any details yet. But it looks like it will essentially be Skyrim's assets, updated/remade and placed in FO4's iteration of the Creation Engine.
This means that most of your basic mesh & texture replacers can be ported over. However the question will be if for example a face texture replacer will still good in the new lighting.
Any plugins however will have to be recreated in an updated version of the Creation Kit. Hopefully for your average mod user, things will be backwards compatible enough that you can simply open the plugin in the CK2.0, have it automatically update records and all you have to do is save the newly converted plugin. If we're unlucky a lot of mods will have to re-created, which means trouble for mods whose creators have moved on.
Also from what footage we've seen so far, it looks like they're taking advantage of the larger memory budget available to them and are placing some extra stuff in the gameworld (plants, rocks, etc). Which can cause issues for existing mods that add stuff to the gameworld. Think a mod's merchant stall clipping with a tree that wasn't there in the original version.

The biggest potential problem will be SKSE. F4SE is nowhere near to having the features SKSE has. The SKSE team have already said that - if possible - there will be an update. But expect it to take a while. Which in turn means it will also take a while for mods like SkyUI, or any other mods that depend on functionality added by SKSE, to get an update.

As for modding in general: It will continue. Though with the introduction of Bethesda.net as a mod distribution platform and console-mods, expect an increase in modders throwing hissy fits. We already have some wonderful early entries. Be sure to stock up on popcorn and enjoy the show.

Mind if I put this in the OP?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh dear God. SMC...I'm about 20 downloads in and I'm only at B.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Mind if I put this in the OP?
Feel free. I subscribe to the cathedral view on modding, so you don't need my permission to grab something I made, change it however you like and post it somewhere else.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cool, thanks.

Oh dear God. SMC...I'm about 20 downloads in and I'm only at B.

Now wait until you go to the next mod on the list! (jk consider checking it out now.)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Raygereio posted:

This means that most of your basic mesh & texture replacers can be ported over. However the question will be if for example a face texture replacer will still look good in the new lighting.

I think I'll wait until SKSE gets a solid update before moving over to the fancy Skyrim (now with 1000% more rubble!) as I think of SkyUI being native to Skyrim rather than as a mod. I tried playing without it about a year back and man. . . I forgot they just decided to use Mass Effect 1's inventory management system, but worse, somehow.

Man, that's a pretty good hissy fit. Never thought I'd see someone asking how to incorporate malicious DRM into their free-to-use mod, but there it is.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

Never thought I'd see someone asking how to incorporate malicious DRM into their free-to-use mod, but there it is.
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised we haven't already picked up on some vindictive FO4 modder coding something like this:
code:
Scr GetFuckedConsoles
Event OnPlayerLoadGame()
	If Debug.GetPlatformName() != PC
		RegisterForUpdate(1,0)
	EndIf
EndEvent
Event OnUpdate
	RegisterForUpdate(1,0)
EndEvent
For those who don't know Papyrus: Remember those save file destroying infinite loops that incompetent people were coding left and right in the early days of Skyrim modding? It's that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Raygereio posted:

:words: about Skyrim Remastered and impending mod drama
We should probably just download every mod ever now so that we have a place for "abandoned" mods once certain modders quit the Internet in a froth of rage.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised we haven't already picked up on some vindictive FO4 modder coding something like this:
code:
Scr GetFuckedConsoles
Event OnPlayerLoadGame()
	If Debug.GetPlatformName() != PC
		RegisterForUpdate(1,0)
	EndIf
EndEvent
Event OnUpdate
	RegisterForUpdate(1,0)
EndEvent
For those who don't know Papyrus: Remember those save file destroying infinite loops that incompetent people were coding left and right in the early days of Skyrim modding? It's that.

I guess the only technical limit here is whether "GetPlatformName()" exists and works like that, I honestly don't know if that's a real thing or just an example you came up with because I don't feel like wading through the awesomely organized documentation for Papyrus.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

We should probably just download every mod ever now so that we have a place for "abandoned" mods once certain modders quit the Internet in a froth of rage.

Think that's essentially what /r/modpiracy is for.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm beginning to think the person that recommended just getting a Noble Skyrim or another big texture pack was right. I'm up to N, at least 142 mods and I'm half done. Still - I've come this far!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

dat sunk costs fallacy

eta: In fairness my entire attachment to Skyrim modding as a hobby is one huge years-long performance of a sunk costs fallacy :negative:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 23, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I guess the only technical limit here is whether "GetPlatformName()" exists and works like that, I honestly don't know if that's a real thing or just an example you came up with because I don't feel like wading through the awesomely organized documentation for Papyrus.
It exist.
Though the above was just some quick pseudo code. If I recall right from what people who experimented with it documented: If you use it the PC it'll return "Target File Unknown". On the consoles it'll return nothing because the Debug class isn't executed on the consoles.

So unless Bethesda changed it for FO4, you can use:
code:
If (!Debug.GetPlatformName() as bool)
	{This bit of code only runs of consoles}
EndIf
And then if you want to be annoying you can wreck the consoles users save file, show annoying popups, or just use Game.QuitToMainMenu.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Sorry to say, but if you're doing this, you're already loving up. Probably. I am pretty sure, although I can't cite any examples, there are a bunch of mods that need to start with the game or behave weirdly if you add them mid-playthrough (which reverting to a clean save amounts to). Plus, alternate start mods are really, literally impossible to gently caress up. I can't speak much to Unbound, but I know that you just have to go to its MCM and set what you want and go. LAL starts you in a little room and then you talk to a statue and go from there. No external effort required besides putting them in your load order like any other mod.

Oh yeah, fresh character was a given for mods that were for, well, starting new characters. I was talking general cynicism.

But with how things can go at times, can't say the reminder of such wasn't warranted :v:

I swung by ye olde golden claw cave anyways despite the mod, but even spawning directly into Riverwood really smooths things out. I guess the mod also cut out the plot stone slab from the boss zombie, since it's streamlining the process.

But hey starting myself with 2,000 gold means I didn't have to obsessively loot every single bit of bandit and zombie gear. So that went very fast and I'm already arranging a dead witch back onto her lawn chair as per usual. (Being reminded of the existence of psychic powered 'Hired goons' even with Better Stealing, was a bit more painful).

Now to hope "Dragons eventually show up. Kill dragon. start main plot" works out allright. One uneventful trip down to Helgen later.

PS: Thank you cool and attractive internet people for wrangling this thread and subject.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

okay so for everyone else's safety: when you're running iNeed and the default inebriation settings are on and you're eating and drinking things from your backpack to free up some room, try not to run around all willy-nilly on hilltops

got hosed up on mead, stumbled drunk off a cliff, landed a normally survivable fall squarely on my head and flopped over as dead as a rock lmao

so much for cats always falling on their feet

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'm beginning to think the person that recommended just getting a Noble Skyrim or another big texture pack was right. I'm up to N, at least 142 mods and I'm half done. Still - I've come this far!

Only 113 to go! Before you start merging them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm seriously considering just hosting my unpacked texture folder when I'm done with this. Nobody should have to go through this again. Nobody!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I'm seriously considering just hosting my unpacked texture folder when I'm done with this. Nobody should have to go through this again. Nobody!

a..... mod pack??

I would love this. Also for the drama about mod drm we dealt with that in Minecraft and it was laffo forever. Thankfully some harsh truths and thumbing noses that all died down and the modding scene over there is much nicer than it used to be.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

KakerMix posted:

a..... mod pack??

reported for using banned terminology

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I've been thinking about reorganizing the OP to have up-front a more detailed set of "before you mod" best practices and then have the list followed by a "last steps" section mirroring it: setting your load order, making patches, that sort of thing. Alternately, "before you mod" would be a kind of start-to-finish set of instructions with "get mods (see below)" in the middle. A lot of this is implicit in the description of tools or tucked away in more technical discussion as it stands and I think it would head off some frequent issues to have this stuff more prominent. I'd probably have to shove "Minor Overhauls" over to the second post to make room but that's whatever. Thoughts?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I've been thinking about reorganizing the OP to have up-front a more detailed set of "before you mod" best practices and then have the list followed by a "last steps" section mirroring it: setting your load order, making patches, that sort of thing. Alternately, "before you mod" would be a kind of start-to-finish set of instructions with "get mods (see below)" in the middle. A lot of this is implicit in the description of tools or tucked away in more technical discussion as it stands and I think it would head off some frequent issues to have this stuff more prominent. I'd probably have to shove "Minor Overhauls" over to the second post to make room but that's whatever. Thoughts?

I think it would help readability. A checklist covering all of the usual things may be helpful as well. I posted "Modding Skyrim in a Billion Easy Steps" a few months ago. I can dig it out if you thihk it would be something people would use.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That would actually be awesome.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So I got my hands on the font Mega64 used, and I'd like to hear what you all think about this:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ThaumPenguin posted:

So I got my hands on the font Mega64 used, and I'd like to hear what you all think about this:

That's just awful, therefore is good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of unreadable IMO.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

It's kind of unreadable IMO.

Yeah I was worried about that, trouble is the "darks skyrim font" has a lot of negative space, and without some sort of background color (like from the frost sparkles here), it looks kinda weird.

Trouble with that is that I can't get those frost sparkles without also having the text become "foggy", which is annoying.

Here's how the font looks by default, for reference:

If I could fill the negative space in the text I'd be perfectly happy with it, but as it is right now I'm not too keen on the look.

Might experiment with some greys and see what I can come up with.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bold looks a little better to me (though still not perfect).

But I've no problem having the banners replaced by something better. It was a quick and dirty job anyway so if you want to improve/replace them knock yourself out.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Bold looks a little better to me (though still not perfect).

But I've no problem having the banners replaced by something better. It was a quick and dirty job anyway so if you want to improve/replace them knock yourself out.

That does make the font look a bit better!

I'd like to experiment a bit and see I if I can find something decent-looking, but I'm not sure how much I can achieve as long as I still need to deal with this font.

What the hell was the font maker thinking.

e: I might have found something.
e2: Nope.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 23, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's frustrating because as much as I like the idea of a transparent background, this font in particular seems to make it hard to actually use for that.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Out of curiosity what program are you guys using? If you're just using Photoshop you might actually have better luck in Illustrator.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

Out of curiosity what program are you guys using? If you're just using Photoshop you might actually have better luck in Illustrator.

I've been using GIMP, thanks for the suggestion.

e: ah, it costs money

lots of money

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been using GIMP, thanks for the suggestion.

e: ah, it costs money

lots of money

Yeah. :( Adobe and all that. Unfortunately I can't think of any other program that might be good for that sort of deal. If no one's managed anything by tomorrow, I can see what I can do in Illustrator.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

Yeah. :( Adobe and all that. Unfortunately I can't think of any other program that might be good for that sort of deal. If no one's managed anything by tomorrow, I can see what I can do in Illustrator.

I'd love to see what you can come up with!

I found this while messing around with GIMP's logo creator, and while it doesn't exactly fit with Skyrim's aesthetic, the glow effects seem to patch up the letters quite well.

Obviously I'm not suggesting we should go with lava letters, but some sort of mild(er) glow effects might be just what we need.

e: I'm done for the night, might see if I can come up with something tomorrow.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

That would actually be awesome.

Sent you a PM.