Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Legacy of the Dragonborn is hot garbage, IMHO. It's like being given a six-foot party sub poo poo sandwich, and people saying "sure it's a poo poo sandwich, but there's so much of it!!" when you complain.

The lack of quality pervades every part of that mod. The typos, the lovely textures, the poor grammar. He'll, I don't know if its still in the mod, but I fixed something for the dude back in like version 7 - he had a voiced line that referred to "Soltheim." Voiced. How the gently caress does that get so far?

The mods just a much of a disorganized mess under the hood, there's a reason I never bothered to add support for it to the improved ASIS INIs.

LotD lowers my FPS by 5 just having it in my load order.

I do think somebody should report it for the stolen textures though, for shits and giggles.

Edit: heh, snipe.

Edit the second: Gunner, that is totally what you need to do to the threads banner, have the lickin' bear heads.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Man, I was getting the invisible briarheart torso bug between CCO and USLEEP, so I found a fix from cloaks and uskp and changed the masters in TESVEdit, and now I feel like a fuckin' hacker.

Also now that I've been using it for a while, I'm kicking myself for not getting down with CCO earlier. I only started using it since this new thread, and not only does it incorporate Jaysus, Cloaks, and others as the op says, it makes a bunch of other cool and subtle changes that have eliminated other esps from my load order. Don't need faster mining any more, for example, CCO does that too. Also I really like the ability to rename ores like corundum to copper and malachite to glass without breaking anything. Get it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit the second: Gunner, that is totally what you need to do to the threads banner, have the lickin' bear heads.

If I knew how to do it every single sentence of the OP would have one.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like we've got some reading to do.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Hey GunnerJ I just noticed this spelling error in the Loot section.

quote:

Common Clothes: Enhances the look of ordinary plain clothes for ordinary, plain, Talod-fearin' folk.

v: You know it.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 25, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Looks like someone's not up on the really deep TES lore! :smug:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So we're going for Mortal Kombat level of asspull-lore?

Edit: I finally remembered one last gripe I had with Legacy of the Dragonborn: there was a journal added by the mod that was supposedly written by an intelligent, scholarly Mage but just came off as what a stupid persons idea of a smart person sounds like.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 25, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: I finally remembered one last gripe I had with Legacy of the Dragonborn: there was a journal added by the mod that was supposedly written by an intelligent, scholarly Mage but just came off as what a stupid persons idea of a smart person sounds like.

Odd, I don't remember working on any mods.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I didn't notice the thread until now, but hot drat that is a good OP. Good job (and thanks) to both of you!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Section Z posted:

Odd, I don't remember working on any mods.

I just have to be honest: I love your avatar. That was one of my favorite Atari games. :)

Edit: one thing we don't have to decide now but the OP should probably address at some point: this is not to be a snob, but I honestly think there should be a separate thread for modding on the console once Remastered is released, solely because when I was playing on ps3, there was nothing more frustrating than hearing "just use the console to fix it!" Whenever I had a bug.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I honestly think there should be a separate thread for modding on the console once Remastered is released, solely because when I was playing on ps3, there was nothing more frustrating than hearing "just use the console to fix it!" Whenever I had a bug.
Would there even be enough console players here to keep two separate Skyrim-modding threads active?
We could make it a thread rule that when someone comes in asking for help (bug, mod recommendations, whatever) they give useful information that will allow people to give help: Platform, Remastered y/n, etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

I honestly think there should be a separate thread for modding on the console once Remastered is released, solely because when I was playing on ps3, there was nothing more frustrating than hearing "just use the console to fix it!" Whenever I had a bug.

So basically you need a console in your console? I think you'll have to hire Xzibit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mega64 posted:

I see no issues with these images.

im downloading this mod solely because of this

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Legacy of the Dragonborn is hot garbage, IMHO. It's like being given a six-foot party sub poo poo sandwich, and people saying "sure it's a poo poo sandwich, but there's so much of it!!" when you complain.

The lack of quality pervades every part of that mod. The typos, the lovely textures, the poor grammar. He'll, I don't know if its still in the mod, but I fixed something for the dude back in like version 7 - he had a voiced line that referred to "Soltheim." Voiced. How the gently caress does that get so far?

The mods just a much of a disorganized mess under the hood, there's a reason I never bothered to add support for it to the improved ASIS INIs.

LotD lowers my FPS by 5 just having it in my load order.

I do think somebody should report it for the stolen textures though, for shits and giggles.

Edit: heh, snipe.

It's also just straight up incompatible with lots of other mods that are very common, like FNIS (I think there is some way to get it to work but it sounded like a pain in the rear end). I really don't understand why people make these huge, clunky mods that really should be like 7 or 8 smaller mods.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know a good fix for Better Vampire's night eye spell? It won't activate anymore. Will doing a clean install of it remove the progress I've made?

E: Fix it. Just load Night Eye overhaul after it to overwrite the lovely scripted spell better vampires adds.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 25, 2016

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Turn Skyrim's boring old mage hoods into something objectively better

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The best mods are ones that contain features that I'd never considered before, and now can no longer live without.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Chaltab posted:

So in terms of combat changing mods I have SPERG and Deadly Combat installed; would either of those possibly be the cause of a character being seemingly ridiculously overpowered? Like, most enemies die with one swing of my longsword even on Expert Difficulty overpowered?

This was from last page, but I'm kind of curious about this also. I'm just using SPERG (no combat mods), but I feel like I'm leveling really fast. I'm just following the usual start of the game, a little ways into Bleak Falls Barrow, and I'm already nearly level 6, even with passive armor leveling toned down. Is that normal? It's been so many years since I played Skyrim (vanilla or otherwise) that I can't even remember.

Mainly I don't want the game to feel trivial at any point--which I think even vanilla Skyrim did eventually. I've upped the difficulty and clicked the "Hardcore" mode in SPERG. I'm considering trying to figure out how to muck about with this bit listed in the SPERG readme, unless someone thinks I should avoid it:

SPERG Readme posted:

If you think the leveling rate is too fast and want it to be closer to vanilla speed while still keeping my balance changes, you can replace the values in [SkillExpGainMults] to whatever you prefer. The following values are balanced around weapon skills remaining at the normal rate while adjusting everything else to match (approximately 12.5% faster than vanilla):
fAlchemy=0.9
fAlteration=1.1
fArchery=1.0
fBlock=1.25
fConjuration=1.35
fDestruction=1.25
fEnchanting=1.1
fHeavyArmor=1.25
fIllusion=1.25
fLightArmor=1.25
fLockpicking=1.1
fOneHanded=1.0
fPickpocket=0.6
fRestoration=1.25
fSmithing=1.5
fSneak=1.0
fSpeech=1.1
fTwoHanded=1.0

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

incogneato posted:

This was from last page, but I'm kind of curious about this also. I'm just using SPERG (no combat mods), but I feel like I'm leveling really fast. I'm just following the usual start of the game, a little ways into Bleak Falls Barrow, and I'm already nearly level 6, even with passive armor leveling toned down. Is that normal? It's been so many years since I played Skyrim (vanilla or otherwise) that I can't even remember.

Mainly I don't want the game to feel trivial at any point--which I think even vanilla Skyrim did eventually. I've upped the difficulty and clicked the "Hardcore" mode in SPERG. I'm considering trying to figure out how to muck about with this bit listed in the SPERG readme, unless someone thinks I should avoid it:

I'm still relatively early in the game despite being level 10 now. SPERG but not combat mods otherwise. If you had the uncapper stuff put in right, then you only get a perk every few levels (but also 20 stamina per level up pick, whoo!), which as far as my casual never got very far in this game self can tell, makes a big difference. My latest scrapping a game for a do over was realizing I forgot to double check those settings and ending up with tons of perk points.

Magic still wrecks my face. "Well, things have been going fine. I just cleaned out yet another place full of bandits-OH CHRIST" *Wispmother cold spam* "Well that sucked. Time to go find and kill that hagraven-SWEET gently caress" *witches BBQ themselves an Orc*

Bandits and assorted sporting proper steel gear like I am, are also turning up more often, too. Really any time I fight more than half naked fur wearing hobos, it flips from pancaking people with an axe to effort involved.

Note to self, try and work out how to find a Dragon so I can kick off the main plot, since I restarted with Skyrim Unbound.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

Note to self, try and work out how to find a Dragon so I can kick off the main plot, since I restarted with Skyrim Unbound.

If you can't find a dragon you can force it to spawn by tweaking the settings in Skyrim Unbound for what causes them to spawn.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Transmogrifier posted:

If you can't find a dragon you can force it to spawn by tweaking the settings in Skyrim Unbound for what causes them to spawn.

Yeah I'm hazy if the default "Max time to first dragon" has quite passed (And my luck is pretty dire on such elements), so I was going to switch that to Enabled and see how that shakes out after finally getting around to 25 Alchemy skill. Now that I'm finally starting to need those potions in the face of getting my balls fried or frozen off by magic or "Oh, a room full of dudes with Scimitars HURTS".

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

incogneato posted:

Ah, well, to put this in context: my current playthrough is a level 51 Orc with 100 Skill in Heavy Armor and a full set of enchanted Legendary gear. I expect to be a bit overpowered, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be carving through basically everything but dragons in 2 to 3 attacks.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

At this point I'm waiting for the remastered 64 bit version in October before I get sucked in again.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Well gently caress. Now I've run into another even more ridiculous problem. There's some script running that, for no apparent reason, unequips all slots and completely locks me out of all controls except the Escape Menu, Wait, and Camera controls. And using Player.tc doesn't give me control back.

Edit: never mind problem solved. A script from Immersive Beds was lagging like hell.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 26, 2016

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

incogneato posted:

Sooner or later you become a golden god unless you've collected every hell-mod for combat and difficulty (maybe). That's just Skyrim. Anyway, yeah you can tweak all those settings however you like. The values in SPERG are just what he thought baseline Vanilla should be like, and in (uncapped) Vanilla, with what I've put into this character, I'd be level 150+ right now with godlike weapons and armor well beyond the cap, every skill at over 100, and over a million gold to my name.

Personally I muck around with those settings because I want to stay in the early game, struggling to be just a bit more powerful and earn a perk that will make life easier, for as long as possible. Most things are set to 0.6 or less (crafting is higher because tedium), for most of the game, and crafting puts in around 0.1 of what it normally would toward character levels. Then I ratchet the merchants to cut-throat using "Trade & Barter", so at the start of the game they're paying like 5 gold for an iron sword and they'll turn around and sell it to you for 100+. Morrowloot and patches make crafting loops impossible, and I have to carry around quest items like the Forgemaster's Fingers and the Ring of Pure Mixtures, if I want a little boost to forging and alchemy. Guess what, though? Around level 50 I can still improve a sword and get enough enchants so that it does 300+ damage, and most things die in 1-3 hits. And while buying stuff from merchants stays pretty expensive, selling stuff to them still manages to get to the point where I can bankrupt a merchant or two with my dungeon haul, and I'm looking for money-sink mods to try so I have something to spend my 500K surplus on.

The problem is that nothing seems to scale well. I'm level 78 right now, and I'm mainly just trying out Interesting NPC quests I haven't done before because I couldn't be bothered to wade through the characters' dialogue trees. It takes me forever to earn a level, unless I sink gold into training. I can fix that in the uncapper by adding another tier of multipliers if I want, but trying to fix the issue with my majority stake in Nirn is a problem I've never been able to solve adequately. Early on, Trade & Barter makes it so I have to clear a safe location to use for storage, and save every bit of gold if I want to make any big purchases, like a house. Speech provides nice improvements for a while. Then around Expert level Speech, I'm Mr. Charming, and I'd have to tweak the MCM values to ridiculous levels, so merchants will only accept steel and iron as gifts, to keep from making an absolute fortune. I guess next time through I'll have to try one of those no loot-gold and/or less-loot mods, and a quest rewards overhaul.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The simple fix if you want to make Skyrim hard again is just to adjust to your heath, stamina and magicka to a level where even if you're dealing out a lot of damage you're also vulnerable and need to use abilities intelligently to survive a fight.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

scamtank posted:

I hope this was just something he absorbed from some nameless shamelord's first mod without looking too hard.

This is what it is. The gemstones were part of some mod that added a loving bajillion gems and metals and minerals and just a ton of ridiculous stuff, and he just cut out the gems, IIRC.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can anyone recommend an ENB that works well with night eye and night eye overhaul? No matter what I do with vividian the end result is almost useless. The best result I can get is a night eye that just jacks up the gamma but still doesn't really let me see that well in the dark. If I tweak it in ENB control panel I can get rid of the gamma but that effectively turns off night eye.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah what Deadly Combat does, in addition to making stamina matter and modifying stagger mechanics, is that it drastically increases both player damage and NPC damage to make combat more... well... deadly. These new base damage multipliers from the mod then scale with what Skyrim difficulty you set for your game. Yes, you will kill things in one power attack or a few swings, but the idea is that so will the enemy NPCs.

What I like to do for combat (at a minimum) in Skyrim is install the following mods:
  • Deadly Combat
  • Archery Gameplay Overhaul
I then up the Skyrim game difficulty difficulty where a one-on-one duel with an NPC isn't too challenging, but two of three NPCs will almost always kill me if I let them get a surround on me. This keeps combat engaging and suspenseful in crowded dungeons and bandit camps, but not tedious for all those one-off wolves and poo poo that aggro you while traveling from A to B. Every 10 levels or so, you may have to increase Skyrim difficulty or tweak the Deadly Combat multipliers to taste.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Ah, well, to put this in context: my current playthrough is a level 51 Orc with 100 Skill in Heavy Armor and a full set of enchanted Legendary gear. I expect to be a bit overpowered, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be carving through basically everything but dragons in 2 to 3 attacks.
Level 50 is the point where you start a new character, no exceptions

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is what it is. The gemstones were part of some mod that added a loving bajillion gems and metals and minerals and just a ton of ridiculous stuff, and he just cut out the gems, IIRC.

For real? That's something of a relief. Now I can cautiously trust the LotDB coder to not be a "writing letters to congressmen with turds" imbecile again. Now it's back to normal concerns, like why does using the museum staff kitchen's oven slurp up every last food item from my pockets into some unreachable limbo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can anyone recommend an ENB that works well with night eye and night eye overhaul? No matter what I do with vividian the end result is almost useless. The best result I can get is a night eye that just jacks up the gamma but still doesn't really let me see that well in the dark. If I tweak it in ENB control panel I can get rid of the gamma but that effectively turns off night eye.

Phinix (the purist's choice) claims to be fully compatible with Night Eye effects, modified or otherwise.

I used Vividian for ages. For all my trying, I had to accept that night vision was just busted no matter what.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 26, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

scamtank posted:

I used Vividian for ages. For all my trying, I had to accept that night vision was just busted no matter what.

Well, if you're willing to live without the darker nights/dungeons addon it works fine.

E: What's the highest (safe) ugridstoload setting anyone has tried? I'm on 7 now but I want more dammit. Maybe 9? More?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 26, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Well, if you're willing to live without the darker nights/dungeons addon it works fine.

E: What's the highest (safe) ugridstoload setting anyone has tried? I'm on 7 now but I want more dammit. Maybe 9? More?

Don't mess with ugridstoload.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Too late. How does it gently caress things up?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Why would you ask what the safest setting is if you already messed with it...?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

This is kind of interesting, as part of his masters thesis, this guy claims to have written up some AI stuff to add to NPCs to see what kind of relationships they form and whether that's interesting to a player. No voice acting, if I wasn't afraid of my lovingly crafted load order breaking I'd give it a shot, but maybe worth knowing about?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77792/

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Too late. How does it gently caress things up?

While loading more grids sounds good in theory its an exponential growth on resources used. Not to mention it can cause certain events to trigger when you aren't even close to them, since the game was built around having a certain amount of grids loaded. From memory you can't revert to a lower setting once you've saved the game on a higher setting, otherwise your game is just hosed. Thats how it was in New Vegas anyway.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Huh, I've played with 7 set for ages and it's never obviously caused any problems.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Huh, I've played with 7 set for ages and it's never obviously caused any problems.

Pretty sure 7 is the absolute highest you should take it, it's 9 and above that starts to see serious issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Here's a pretty tight companion mod for Immersive Horses, but it says any mod that lets you access the horses inventory should work. Craftable Horse Barding does exactly what you'd expect, adding a range of new saddles and armors for horses, but if you don't want to quest for wolf asses to make them yourself you can also buy them from stables.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64069/