Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Rainbow Knight posted:

Counter point: being an impossibly well armored daedra worshipping juggernaut that kills their way through thieves guild quests specifically to piss off Maven and Brynjolf is thief-y enough. The "Pink Mohawk" method is an acceptable and superior form of gameplay :colbert:

I just like it because it stops Brynjolf from getting me to join his little Thief Club down in the sewers, all because having more then 1000 gold on you must mean I've "never worked an honest day in my life." Like dude I made that money from selling two axes and some potions I got out of a cave, gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Thieves Guild Requirements is a good one. Won’t let you join the guild until you have actually, y’know, actually stole and pickpocketed a few things to show you are actually a thief, and you won’t be able to advance it’s main storyline until you can pass some skill checks (which you change, or just turn off).

It's worth installing on non-thief playthroughs so Brynjolf doesn't make a beeline for you the moment you enter Riften.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Ahhhhh gently caress. Okay, that was a day lost.

Here's a question for MO2 people. Can I do an old school, manual mod installation (like I unzip & drag drop the poo poo) alongside an otherwise functional MO2 load order? Shouldn't be a problem, right? Just dump the additional files in the Skyrim/Data like the old days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I just like it because it stops Brynjolf from getting me to join his little Thief Club down in the sewers, all because having more then 1000 gold on you must mean I've "never worked an honest day in my life." Like dude I made that money from selling two axes and some potions I got out of a cave, gently caress off.

I tried to get around that by giving my follower all my money but it turns out he just beelines to you and says "hey, I see you're broke, want to make some cash?" but then he proceeds from there as if you were rich :psyduck:

So yeah, Thieves Guild Requirements is mandatory.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

7seven7 posted:

I'd totally forgotten about COC - thanks.

I think Apocalypse has a variant of mark and recall. I've never tried it before, but that's a good shout.

Neither COC nor mark and recall work from interiors. Must be something in my load order. Time to sort through the 152 mods I've acquired...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

physeter posted:

Ahhhhh gently caress. Okay, that was a day lost.

Here's a question for MO2 people. Can I do an old school, manual mod installation (like I unzip & drag drop the poo poo) alongside an otherwise functional MO2 load order? Shouldn't be a problem, right? Just dump the additional files in the Skyrim/Data like the old days.

I could install morrowind mods that way, so I think so, but I only did it with lua add-ons, nothing with an esp.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Bah, "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" won't work. It's another "Form 43 plugin", but when I try to open it up in the editor, it says "Multiple ESM's selected for load. Cannot load." or something like that. Well, I suppose it's not strictly necessary.

I have other mods to try and test anyway. I made a no-mods save before leaving Helgen Keep, and another no-mods save in Riverwood right after getting "Go tell the Jarl of Whiterun" quest, so if there are problems I can use those to go back.

EDIT: gently caress THIS BULLSHIT.

Okay, so important loving lesson. Never, ever, ever - under ANY circumstances EVER - select the awful "use profile-specific Save Games" option. It's a trap designed entirely to gently caress YOU OVER. If you use that, you cannot actually change your mod settings in any way. You cannot load a game which had no mods whatsoever installed, because that doesn't match the current saved games settings, lol! You can ONLY load games which exactly match.

It's not like I lost much progress, only reaching Riverwood and clearing out Embershard Mine, and I was going to redo everything after Riverwood as well. It's just annoying that I have to re-do all of Helgen. Again. (No, I am not going to install "Live another Life/Alternate Start" or whatever.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 20, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're installing a bunch of mods, alternate start mods are good because script heavy mods can break Helgen, keeping you from being able to start your game at all. I think most of them (I know Live Another Life) have starts where you're just outside Helgen.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Bah, "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" won't work. It's another "Form 43 plugin", but when I try to open it up in the editor, it says "Multiple ESM's selected for load. Cannot load." or something like that. Well, I suppose it's not strictly necessary.

This is fixable via an edit to the Creation Kit .ini file just change bAllowMultipleMasterLoads to 1 under the [General] heading.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

physeter posted:

That will work. Those mods will show up in MO2 as unmanaged next to the DLC.
The question is more why you would want to. If you don't want to bother with an installer you can place them manually in MO's mod folder. That way you will still have the benefits of MO.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

7seven7 posted:

Neither COC nor mark and recall work from interiors. Must be something in my load order. Time to sort through the 152 mods I've acquired...

I never got "coc riverwood" or others like that to work in my game. since I think Riverwood is a whole zone of multiple cells and not just one. if I use for example "coc riverwood sleepinggiantinn" it works and ports me to the inn since that is an interior cell in Riverwood. same like "coc solitude" doesn't work but "coc solitude thewinkingskeever" does.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
coc whiterun puts you right in front of the gates

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Qwezz posted:

I never got "coc riverwood" or others like that to work in my game. since I think Riverwood is a whole zone of multiple cells and not just one. if I use for example "coc riverwood sleepinggiantinn" it works and ports me to the inn since that is an interior cell in Riverwood. same like "coc solitude" doesn't work but "coc solitude thewinkingskeever" does.

Weird. I know that's true for a lot of places, but Riverwood has always worked for me as a single-name cell. A tip for everybody: You can do, iirc, 'help riverwood' and it'll list everything in the game that has riverwood in the name, letting you find the specific cells you're looking for.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Weird. I know that's true for a lot of places, but Riverwood has always worked for me as a single-name cell. A tip for everybody: You can do, iirc, 'help riverwood' and it'll list everything in the game that has riverwood in the name, letting you find the specific cells you're looking for.

Yeah, coc riverwood dumps you out in front of the south gate to the town that you run through with Ralof or Hadvar at the start of the game. If that doesn’t work for some reason then try coc riverwoodexterior01/02/03, etc. That’s how the game usually breaks down town spaces that are a part of the Tamriel world space and not their own separate city world space like Whiterun or Solitude.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Isn't it coe for exterior cells?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Isn't it coe for exterior cells?
You can use either, COC for specific named cells still works, I think COE is for coordinates but might do the same thing with names

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
coc has always been the one I use and it always works for me unless I misspell something in the console or can't remember the specific cell name. That goes for both interior and exterior cells.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

7seven7 posted:

Are there any working mods for SE that allow you to fast travel when indoors? I've tried Mark's Fast Travel From Interiors, Fast Travel When Indoors (the latest version), and Fast Travel From Interiors and they're all either out of date or just don't work.

Fast travel is already pretty generous in Skyrim, but sometimes when I'm three levels deep into a dungeon it can feel pretty claustrophobic and I just wanna teleport to the surface to breathe free again.

I have no trouble with Fast Travel When Indoors from a new installation of skyrim with 131 active mods.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
One of the changes I made to the load order is making parts of the College of Winterhold flicker, as if two versions are trying to be displayed at once.

It has to be something in these. I tried moving Obscure's below the ELFX stuff but that did nothing.

"0019","+","Night-Eye Overhaul v1.3.1"
<snip>
"0039","+","Thieves Guild For Good Guys - Taking Care of Business Redux"
"0041","+","Shenk Thievery Overhaul SE"

"0042","+","Obscure's College of Winterhold"
"0043","+","Enhanced Lights and FX"
"0044","+","Unofficial ELFX SMIM fps performance patch"

EDIT: Enhanced Lights and FX was the culprit. I disabled it, loaded my "0 mods loaded" save with everything except ELFX installed and teleported there and the problem didn't appear. ELFX is not on Obscure's list of compatible mods. I guess I should use one which is on the list.

Maybe it's not worth trying to fix. I don't really intend to spend much time here, I largely came for the free storage students get, which is important for stashing my stolen goods until I can meet the TG requirements and finally fence it.

Probably modding unrelated, but I also badly need either a better strategy or a plan for what to do if my first dagger strike doesn't finish an enemy. I'm level 12 and just have a dinky boring (Fine) Steel dagger, no enchantments on it at all, and a Ancient Nord Bow with a few Iron arrows, and some bottles of poison that deal 11 to 16 damage. That's it. That's my offensive capacity. I doubt I'll be able to take down any more dragons. My Defense is just some Calm and Fury spells, and level 50+ Sneak, and some armor taken from a Dark Brotherhood assassin (who came after me when all I did was return a golden claw. Hadn't even killed a Dragon yet).

Maybe I should also look into a mod that reduces Sneak XP by 75% and maybe one which increases Pickpocket XP, because I've Pickpocketed like 6 people and the bar has barely budged at all - and that's with a lot of cheating (aka reloading), meanwhile my Sneak has gone up by 30 points.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Do you want straight up spoilers or vague hints? Because if you need better armor and your main attack is sneaking up on people with a dagger you need to join the dark brotherhood.

This mod lets you change just about everything with how fast skills do anything

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/

Read everything carefully before you change anything though because it lets you change a lot of poo poo and if you go hog wild some stuff might get weird. For example it lets you change how quickly a skill grows and how much a skill adds to your level ups and the way it's described I have to check three times before I'm positive I'm changing the one I want.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm in it for the coin, not the killing. It just so happens that a lot of the coin is stuck behind a bunch of attacks-on-sight bandits or Draugr which need shanking, instead of a bunch of people who never did anything to me. I guess my best option is to keep dungeon crawling until I get weapon upgrades. I'm overdue for a Dwarven Dagger at the very least. Or else I could stop being stubborn and use my native Dunmer skill (baseline Destruction: 25) and blast people as my second resort.

I actually have the Skill Uncapper already as a requirement for SPERG.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Okay, so important loving lesson. Never, ever, ever - under ANY circumstances EVER - select the awful "use profile-specific Save Games" option. It's a trap designed entirely to gently caress YOU OVER. If you use that, you cannot actually change your mod settings in any way. You cannot load a game which had no mods whatsoever installed, because that doesn't match the current saved games settings, lol! You can ONLY load games which exactly match.

I've ran anywhere up to 10 different characters at a time, each with their own save specific profile, mod list, et. al. while loving around with mod load orders and installs with reckless abandon. It works fine.

If you have a template character or something, you can still copy them over between profiles to make more drsastic changes. Otherwise there's still nothing stopping you from changing mod settings in the same profile, or copying to a new profile and copying saves over during the process.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm in it for the coin, not the killing. It just so happens that a lot of the coin is stuck behind a bunch of attacks-on-sight bandits or Draugr which need shanking, instead of a bunch of people who never did anything to me. I guess my best option is to keep dungeon crawling until I get weapon upgrades. I'm overdue for a Dwarven Dagger at the very least. Or else I could stop being stubborn and use my native Dunmer skill (baseline Destruction: 25) and blast people as my second resort.

I just want to here all about these adventures. They're so pure :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Here's a good beginner's guide to futzing with the skill uncapped

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/8b8ft2/guide_to_skyrim_uncapper_for_beginners/

You want the "[SkillExpGainMults] section" part

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Thanks - it seems like with this particular mod loadout coc riften won't work, but almost anything else will. Oddly the help command won't work at all. It did on a previous run, but I've not had to use it in this one.

papa horny michael posted:

I have no trouble with Fast Travel When Indoors from a new installation of skyrim with 131 active mods.

Yeah, there must be something odd with my load order. I'm running a similar number. I'll clean up my mods and play around with LOOT. I've been getting error code 5 from SKYUI whenever I open the map, but it hasn't annoyed me enough to do anything about yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

7seven7 posted:

Thanks - it seems like with this particular mod loadout coc riften won't work, but almost anything else will. Oddly the help command won't work at all. It did on a previous run, but I've not had to use it in this one.

Yeah, there must be something odd with my load order. I'm running a similar number. I'll clean up my mods and play around with LOOT. I've been getting error code 5 from SKYUI whenever I open the map, but it hasn't annoyed me enough to do anything about yet.

Are you using an open cities mod? That might change the cell names of cities that were previously closed off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I found my problem with Obscure's college glitching - it was "Enhanced Lights and FX". I verified by removing it (and it's FPS performance patch) from my list of mods, loading my "no mods at all" save and teleporting to the college to check. I think the best thing to do with my Dark Elf is simply to toss in some Destruction magic. Explosive Runes are always good for a laugh, and I'm using SPERG, so I have the "Quiet Casting" perk which makes the audio element of spells undetectable.

Is it safe to uninstall ELFX if I just go to the middle of nowhere and do it? The Nexus page doesn't say anything about uninstalling.

EDIT: Reading back a few pages in the comments on the Nexus, uninstalling was described as "just delete all the files", and disabling the mod in Mod Manager seems to have done it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

I just want to here all about these adventures. They're so pure :allears:

That was just a facetious way of saying "I don't want to join the Dark Brotherhood with this character." I mean, I did just mention using "Thieves Guild For Good Guys".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

That was just a facetious way of saying "I don't want to join the Dark Brotherhood with this character." I mean, I did just mention using "Thieves Guild For Good Guys".

Oh I meant the other stuff. I haven't given a poo poo about looking for a weapon upgrade or my racial skill bonuses for a long time because I basically just play this game to try out character concepts and new mods and beeline straight to where I can get easy skill ups or good items. Really, I barely play the actual game at this point :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Warning: Non-modding related, possibly boring post below.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Oh I meant the other stuff. I haven't given a poo poo about looking for a weapon upgrade or my racial skill bonuses for a long time because I basically just play this game to try out character concepts and new mods and beeline straight to where I can get easy skill ups or good items. Really, I barely play the actual game at this point :v:

Apologies, I thought you were taking a jab at my seeming hypocrisy for creating a thief whose MO is slitting the throats of bandits but doesn't want to join the DB. (Admittedly, it wouldn't be entirely unfair. But given the events of recent months, I both want to go outside and also harmlessly exhaust some frustrations on digital characters.)

My adventuring seems more pure because it's been like 5 years since I last played, so I've had plenty of time to forget enough so that this seems fairly fresh.

If you want some adventures, I wanted my new character to be a thief with a fair bit of skill with Illusions. The best race for "Magic Using Thief" is Dark Elf, which has bonuses to some skills in both directions. I had wanted to do the first part of the Winterhold quests mostly for the free storage students get, which I need because you can't unload stolen items until you're in the guild, I need to steal 250 items, and keeping it all on my person would weigh me down impossibly. (The other part of the reason for doing Saarthal was the normally-useless Magelight staff, which I intended to use with the lighting mod I had that makes dungeons a lot darker, but it wasn't compatible with Obscure's Winterhold College and I had to swap it.)

It took around 20 quickloads for the "randomly selected" skill Faralda wants to test you on for admission to come up Firebolt. I wanted that one as some kind of offense for when sneaking doesn't work, and even though I started with Flames and Healing, I have not used either of them once. I snagged some rune spells from her before heading to Saarthal, and those were desperately needed against a Draugr Scourge, which my dagger was garbage at. I got it to chase me in a circle while I used runes to play hide-and-blow up until it was weak enough to shank.

There's also a Frost Dragon on the edge of spawning nearby, and all I have to take it on with is an Elven bow and a Firebolt spell, so that'll be interesting. (I got a second Elven Bow which I hope to melt down and forge an Elven dagger.)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

:munch:

don't forget about poisons. frostbite spider venom is always good in a clutch imo

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of avoiding the Thieves Guild and DB, are there commands to add the exhibits for them in the new Dragonborn Museum? I don't want to do those questlines again, but also don't want big empty spots in my museum.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

e. misunderstood

7seven7
May 19, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Speaking of avoiding the Thieves Guild and DB, are there commands to add the exhibits for them in the new Dragonborn Museum? I don't want to do those questlines again, but also don't want big empty spots in my museum.

Would the usual player.additem command work? Or does the museum only take items you've earned through questing?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There are big displays that get turned on once you've completed the questlines, which I think is what A Sometimes Food is asking about.

Look in the museum menu in the MCM. There are some options, I think, for forcing certain displays on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, so after finally reaching 250 stolen items, I go back to talk to Brynjolf and I cannot start the quest to join. Is Thieves Guild Requirements not compatible at all with Thieves Guild For Good Guys? Either that or one or both mods are busted pieces of junk. Hard to say.

I made the mistake of talking to Brynjolf on my first trip through Riften, before reaching 250 stolen items, and now I do not get any options at all to join. Just "no thanks". My last save before talking to him is quite some time ago. I am not pleased.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, so after finally reaching 250 stolen items, I go back to talk to Brynjolf and I cannot start the quest to join. Is Thieves Guild Requirements not compatible at all with Thieves Guild For Good Guys? Either that or one or both mods are busted pieces of junk. Hard to say.

I made the mistake of talking to Brynjolf on my first trip through Riften, before reaching 250 stolen items, and now I do not get any options at all to join. Just "no thanks". My last save before talking to him is quite some time ago. I am not pleased.

Thieves guild for good guys adds an option to basically tell him to gently caress off forever, did you accidentally pick that option the first time?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

Thieves guild for good guys adds an option to basically tell him to gently caress off forever, did you accidentally pick that option the first time?

No, the conversation ended after the discussion of wealth. No "gently caress off" option to pick because we never got into the whole "do you want to make some money" part. Loading my old save and lowering the requirements to 150 does work, but that was a really old save. Hmmm... maybe there's some console command to reset the quest status back to "not started"?

EDIT: ResetQuest TG00

That seems to have done it. I'm in.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 25, 2020

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

I had nothing but issues trying to get them working together.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
AFAIK they are not really compatible. TGR is fine, TGFGG is... "a busted piece of junk" might be an oversell but it is brittle. You'll have a hell of a time trying to get it to work with basically anything that touches the TG or anything in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I guess Shenk's Thievery Overhaul is one of the (apparently many) things which breaks "Blood on the Ice". I had intended to complete it because a serial killer on the loose means a bunch of jumpy guards on patrol. But none of the normal triggers in the house exist for the investigation. I suspect it's related to the new "To Windhelm Walls" trapdoor installed inside even the non-player-owned version of Hjerm. It's not a big deal if it can't be completed.

EDIT: I had the wrong mod. Thieves Guild for Good Guys was the culprit.

Obscure's College of Winterhold has compatibility patches for some other mods that make Winterhold a little less of a wreck (The Great City of Winterhold and Winterhold Restored). Has anyone played with OCW and either of those other two city of Winterhold mods and can confirm they work together. Also, and more importantly, are either or both recommended? Winterhold Restored looks to have the most stuff, but GCoW somewhat looks to reflect the city it once was but is no longer.

Non-Modding gameplay story:

After sleeping in Autumnwatch Tower, some Hired Thugs came by to attack me for apparently stealing from the Dawnguard court mage. (I probably did it, but I don't recall.) I slipped away, then went stealth. I didn't kill them or hurt them at all, I simply pickpocketed all their gold, the contract out on me. The next time I was in Dawnguard, I stalked the court mage, and on her way back from the Mythic Dawn museum, there was a brief window of her travel not covered by guard patrols. I snuck up behind her, and reverse-pickpocketed into her inventory the contract she took out on my life and a steel dagger - as a warning not to try that again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 28, 2020