Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Pretty sure it's a FOMOD install. Just download it with mod manager and following the install instructions. I wouldn't recommend getting it if you have an ENB installed, and also it's 200mb of really bad hair, most of which I think are taken straight off Second Life or something. Most of it is ported over from its Oblivion days and is just popular because of momentum. But that's just my opinion.

That being said if you're big on downloading NPC makeover mods you might as well get it because a lot of them use assets from it and require it as a master file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I did try to ModLoad it, but it says it needs this thing installed, and when I try to install that I get this error:

I mean, it's not a huge deal if I can't get it to work, it's more the annoyance with the installs.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

You need to point MO to that Data folder being the data folder for the mod.

If memory serves just drag that "Data" folder to the "<data>" folder indicator for MO just above it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I did try to ModLoad it, but it says it needs this thing installed, and when I try to install that I get this error:

I mean, it's not a huge deal if I can't get it to work, it's more the annoyance with the installs.

Right click on Data next to the tick and set as data file.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, okay, that worked.

Now I have to deal with it again, only I can't drag the data folder up.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
like FSFD said, right-click the "Data" with the checkmark box and pick Set As Data Folder or whatever the option is - fixes it right up.

What you're seeing is a mod which nested all its files in \data\ already inside the archive, and MO doesn't expect that (because a bunch of mods don't) so you just manually say "hey, this is the data folder" and it works just fine.

You can drag and move and tweak stuff all you like while installing so you have full control over what goes where, but sometimes it's a little weird if you can't visualize what's going on behind the scenes. This is just MO making sure you don't end up with duplicate data folders, so the path would end up being skyrim\data\data\textures\... or whatever. And not work.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Psion posted:

like FSFD said, right-click the "Data" with the checkmark box and pick Set As Data Folder or whatever the option is - fixes it right up.

I missed that due to cross-posting; figures it was something that simple. Thanks, folks.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, okay, that worked.

Now I have to deal with it again, only I can't drag the data folder up.

Take a look in your steamapps/common/skyrim folder then look in data. You'll see that contains a bunch of subfolders called meshes, textures, scripts etc as well as the esp and esm plugin files. What MO does is create a virtual Data folder that mirrors this so you can keep your regular install clean and not overwrite files. So when you install into MO you've gotta imagine you're dragging stuff into the Data folder (don't ever actually do that), so the file stucture has to make sense that way. In this case the Data folder in the zip or rar file is making a bad file path for MO because it goes Data/data/(mod contents).

Also you don't need all of the jpg files. Only the ones under data. If you want to look at the readmes in there MO will save a copy of the rar/zip file under Downloads in MO.

E: One last thing - sometimes when reinstalling a mod or installing an update MO will prompt you to ask if you want to Merge or Replace - pick merge because that will overwrite the files or add in the extra files included in the update. If you pick replace when installing an update it will remove the original mod contents and install only the updated files.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 2, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GunnerJ posted:

y0, Noble Skyrim users: What's the performance hit like, what's your graphics card, and are you using the performance version?

Negligible hit on a 650Ti. I am using the performance version. Haven't noticed anything stuttering or slowing down. Of course I'm in Yawnstar, the boringest town.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I'm running NLA ENB + Enhanced Light and FX. Do you know how to make rain weather less... fuzzy? It looks pretty good in any other weather.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GunnerJ posted:

y0, Noble Skyrim users: What's the performance hit like, what's your graphics card, and are you using the performance version?

970m, still cruise at 60+ fps all day

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So this isn't Mod related (so far as I can tell), but suddenly one of my spells (Steadfast ward, in this case) refuses to equip in anything but the left hand. Whether I use the favorites menus, or normal item/spell menus.

There seemed to be a bit of fuckery with my war axe being auto equipped to my right hand at first (I guess SkyUI remembering fave positions? even though it behaves itself for the other spells), but even unfavoriting those and throwing them to the ground temporarily still left that spell refusing to equip anywhere but the left hand alone.

Nothing I do seems to want to get me able to be able to equip it in my right hand again. Any ideas? Or how to prevent this from happening with other spells?

What google results I can turn up, aren't helpful. Just suggesting equipping other one handed weapons, stuff about numbered hotkeys (Which I've yet to use), "try starting a new character then going back?", etc, which have not helped. (Also, loading saves way earlier than when this started happening, has it happen).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 3, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This is something hard to diagnose without knowing what else you have installed.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Have you tried quitting and restarting?

Might just be a temporary hiccup.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Section Z posted:

So this isn't Mod related (so far as I can tell), but suddenly one of my spells (Steadfast ward, in this case) refuses to equip in anything but the left hand. Whether I use the favorites menus, or normal item/spell menus.

There seemed to be a bit of fuckery with my war axe being auto equipped to my right hand at first (I guess SkyUI remembering fave positions? even though it behaves itself for the other spells), but even unfavoriting those and throwing them to the ground temporarily still left that spell refusing to equip anywhere but the left hand alone.

Nothing I do seems to want to get me able to be able to equip it in my right hand again. Any ideas? Or how to prevent this from happening with other spells?

What google results I can turn up, aren't helpful. Just suggesting equipping other one handed weapons, stuff about numbered hotkeys (Which I've yet to use), "try starting a new character then going back?", etc, which have not helped. (Also, loading saves way earlier than when this started happening, has it happen).

There are two steadfast ward spells in the game. One is left hand equip only and is more common. Try this in the console:

player.removespell 7231a

If that removes the spell then you had the left hand equip version.

player.addspell 211f1 will add the either hand version.

If you have any magic mods that type help "steadfast ward" and see if a mod adds anything. There should only be two spell references in that list.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

This is something hard to diagnose without knowing what else you have installed.

90% of my mods list are Fixes/basics, at least. So that'd hopefully narrow things down if a Mod was involved and not just "Skyrim is buggy".

I've got the Unofficial patches,
SkyUI
Uncapper
Wiseman's flora Fixes
Weapon and armor fixes remade
Modern Brawl bug fix
Run for your lives
When Vampires attack
Hearthfire attacks disabled.
Better Stealing
Bounty gold

SPERG
Skyrim Unbound
The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Armored Circlets by Quickfox
Uncle Shegorath

Passive Weapon Enchantment Recharging (I'm not actually using anything but rings/amulets and the occasional staff right now).

ThaumPenguin posted:

Have you tried quitting and restarting?

Might just be a temporary hiccup.

I've tried quitting the program (and closing mod organizer too) a few times. I've tried making a new character. I've even loaded up much older saves before this kicked in, and it's effecting that particular spell for some reason still.

Steadfast Ward suddenly being left hand only no matter what I click, or if I use favorites or the main magic menu, is hardly the worst spell for this to happen to. But considering I'm starting to finally sling spells around instead of nothing but a pre fight stoneskin or quick healing spell, I'm hoping to nail this down for if it happens on more frequently used stuff/things I'd want to two hand cast.

There was a brownout while Skyrim was on earlier, but I could still cast Steadfast Ward with my right hand then too. I did just recently go through that dream sequence in Waking Nightmare, but considering this is also effecting saves from DAYS ago now, welp?

I really could have sworn I was casting it with my Right hand just fine, considering the assorted times I chucked it at my temporary quest follower just fine. Noticing the problem was when I was fumbling around trying to equip it, and then suddenly crit them in the back of the head with a war axe instead of casting a buff with M1 :v:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There are two steadfast ward spells in the game. One is left hand equip only and is more common. Try this in the console:

player.removespell 7231a

If that removes the spell then you had the left hand equip version.

player.addspell 211f1 will add the either hand version.

If you have any magic mods that type help "steadfast ward" and see if a mod adds anything. There should only be two spell references in that list.

I was just about to look into console removing and relearning the spell entirely. Let's see if that helps now that I don't need to look up the IDs. Outside of SPERG, and passive enchantment recharge, the only spell modifications would be whatever the Unofficial patches did to spells.

...Welp, when I used that suggested removal command with 7231a, it said "Spell 'steadfast ward not found in *character name*"

That said, The help command results show-

---Global variables---
---Other Forms---
Ench: (0704A019) 'steadfast ward'
Book: (000A2720) 'spell tome: steadfast ward'
Book: (0704A023) 'Spell tome: steadfast ward'
Spel: (000211F1) 'steadfast ward'
Spel: (0007231A) 'steadfast ward'
Spel: (0704A00F) 'steadfast ward'

Hopefully I didn't typo any of those. But, looks like three spells for two books?

I wish I had any idea what the hell caused this. All I can figure is that while juggling a bunch of faved spells/items while fumbling the clicks and rapidly switching stuff faster than my hands could go through redraw animations, some wires cross and it decided "You want steadfast ward so bad right this second? Have the first one we spit out at you"

EDIT: After the second ID you mentioned didn't work, I used the remove command on that mystery 3rd entry which got rid of it. Then I added the one you suggested and everything is in working order again.

Thanks for all the help, everybody. I swear to god I was casting it with my right hand just fine before, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a surprise to brain my quest companion with a war axe instead of throwing a buff with M1 :v:

Though it was shooting like a projectile, too. Instead of being sustain. Wish I knew more about this game in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

A mod is adding that and is the one you have. Whichever mod is seventh in your load order. That version is a left hand only spell which is why you can't equip it. Add the vanilla version I listed above with the console if you want the right hand option.

Also with the console you never need to tab out to look up an ID. Just bring up the console and type - help "what you're looking for". If the list is too long you can use page up and page down to scroll through it until you find what you're after.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 3, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

A mod is adding that and is the one you have. Whichever mod is seventh in your load order. That version is a left hand only spell which is why you can't equip it. Add the vanilla version I listed above with the console if you want the right hand option.

Also with the console you never need to tab out to look up an ID. Just bring up the console and type - help "what you're looking for". If the list is too long you can use page up and page down to scroll through it until you find what you're after.
That is very useful to know, thanks.

Lets see. If the big Mod organizer list to the left is the load order, than Mod #7 is... Weapon and Armor fixes remade. Huh.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually not exactly 7th. The one with a seven next to it. Skyrim will be listed as 0. So the eighth in your list.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Section Z posted:

Lets see. If the big Mod organizer list to the left is the load order, than Mod #7 is... Weapon and Armor fixes remade. Huh.
The list to the left in MO is your install order and lists what mods you have installed. Loadorder refers to the order in which plugins are loaded and is to the right in MO.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Actually not exactly 7th. The one with a seven next to it. Skyrim will be listed as 0. So the eighth in your list.

Raygereio posted:

The list to the left in MO is your install order and lists what mods you have installed. Loadorder refers to the order in which plugins are loaded and is to the right in MO.

Ah, that'd be the Unofficial skyrim legendary edition patch then EDIT: Ah, to the Right in the plugin's list it would be SPERG.

I've had the MO go from lots of red marks to more happy after shuffling stuff to the Left that pushing the Sort button on plugins didn't deal with, so I've been hazy on which was the "load order", such as it were. Both of those things have "Priority 7", but SPERG has a "Mod index 7", which is much more clear cut.

I'm messing around with item adds for books, now that I've got things saved/console options handy. Using the books adds the 2nd (Suggested right hand capable) and 3rd, modded one I removed (left hand only projectile). If I console add the first spell, it's a more expensive but weaker version of the sustain R/L hand one (Or perhaps just not interacting with SPERG skill scaling?).

So... Near as I can tell after the fact, SOMEHOW, I was having a not working as intended experience of being allowed to M1 right hand cast the Lefty only spell for quite a while. Because I was getting used to M1ing that thing at followers, which made suddenly M1ing an axe to the back of their heads and not being able to Right hand it that much more surprising.

Thanks again. While I'm still a bit :confused: about the circumstances leading to my questions, at least I know a lot more when it comes to basic spell troubleshooting.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 3, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

I've had the MO go from lots of red marks to more happy after shuffling stuff to the Left that pushing the Sort button on plugins didn't deal with, so I've been hazy on which was the "load order", such as it were. Both of those things have "Priority 7", but SPERG has a "Mod index 7", which is much more clear cut.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "red marks," but if you're talking about a lightning bolt symbol with a red minus sign, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that one of its non-plugin assets is being overridden by another's mods. This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nevermind all that I missed that it was SPERG not USLEEP. I don't use SPERG so I dunno. Weird that it also adds it as an enchantment though.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GunnerJ posted:

This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

And sometimes expected, too. The author of Legacy outright says that it has to include all sorts of basic vanilla poo poo for ~reasons~ so if there's a conflict, it's on good authority that Legacy should be the one overruled

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "red marks," but if you're talking about a lightning bolt symbol with a red minus sign, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that one of its non-plugin assets is being overridden by another's mods. This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

I honestly don't remember the exact issue, I recall shoving something up on the list to the Left, and whatever upset message it was telling me along the lines of "You will probably crash if you do this" at the time went away, which hitting the sort button on plugins did nothing at all for.

Continuing the stupid questions I am embarrassed to ask train. What does the "Priority" listing for the left list signify, then? Considering the priorities listing on the list to the left, and the plugins list to the right, don't necessarily line up even if you push that sort button.

The Mod index listing is pretty clear, at least. But then, that only shows up on the plugins list to the right anyways.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
As far as I know the order to the left really only matters when adding things that don't have an ESP attached. Texture mods for example. So if you have two texture mods that change the same texture the mod lower in that list is the texture the game will use. If you want to be really safe have the mod list on the left mirror the plugin list on the right as closely as possible, but eh, seems like a lot of effort.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 3, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Section Z posted:

Continuing the stupid questions I am embarrassed to ask train. What does the "Priority" listing for the left list signify, then? Considering the priorities listing on the list to the left, and the plugins list to the right, don't necessarily line up even if you push that sort button.

that's the "use these assets first" priority list, your mods are in that order by default. the number is there so you can see what's overriding what even if you sort the mod list alphabetically or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Section Z posted:

The Mod index listing is pretty clear, at least. But then, that only shows up on the plugins list to the right anyways.

You can imagine that the left panel simulates the "install order" of the mods. When you run the game through MO, the program looks at non-plugin assets in a way that assumes that the lowest item on the list takes priority, just as if if you were installing all these mods with loose assets (i.e., not in a BSA) and the last-installed assets overwrote whatever was already in skyrim\data (without actually, like, overwriting any actual files). Alternately, you can think of it as being like plugin load order for assets: just as the last-loaded plugin's records override the others, the last-loaded mod's external assets override any others. This is useful for when you decide that you want some specific assets to override a most general set of assets, like textures or something. It's also how you handle mod instructions that specify "install order" with respect to other mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Updated the OP to include (most critically) Siets' excellent ENB guide and nearly all the mod suggestions made itt since the last update because they all looked solid. Going forward I'm going to have to start trying to reorganizing things a lot because the first post has literally 82 characters to spare and the second is filling up. I'm thinking of subcategorizing the "Minor Overhauls" section more so I can shift things to the second post more cleanly. And also cannibalizing the fourth reply to make still more room. The most major next update will be moving some of the guide info to the wiki and also including links to more wiki-hosted guides under the "Before You Mod" section, which should free up a few thousand characters.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also did someone send me a join request for the wiki shortly before I posted the OP? I have a request from someone but it looks like a real name so I don't just want to say who.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
was it Arthur Moore

:v:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Dear thread. After 5 years and almost 1000 hours in Skyrim, I still haven't finished the game (or even the Civil war questline). When the new Whatchamacallit edition comes out, I'm going to do it. I'm going to finish Skyrim. :black101:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Goon luck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Smol posted:

Dear thread. After 5 years and almost 1000 hours in Skyrim, I still haven't finished the game (or even the Civil war questline). When the new Whatchamacallit edition comes out, I'm going to do it. I'm going to finish Skyrim. :black101:

I call bullshit, I own and have spent hundreds of hours each in Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and have finished the main quest in zero of them. Fallout: New Vegas is the only Bethesda published game I've ever beaten, and I wouldn't say I've beaten it, just got to the end.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Smol posted:

So you never even got to find out that Sovengarde is just Valhalla with whale skeletons?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Never really followed the old thread except for my bi-annual modding sprees (followed by the mandatory 30 minutes of "yep, this works, time to uninstall the game") so I missed the new thread and just wanted to say thanks for the fresh OP.
I got my current install to be somewhat stable after a bit of troubleshooting. But I think I might have overdone it on the Deadly Combat and Deadly Dragons configs, because coupled with Realistic Needs and Diseases my character flops over and trips so much it's like he runs around in a perpetual Skyrim-wide earthquake aftershock.

It also took me until last friday to realize that MO produces its own .ini files for every profile. No wonder I couldn't get the FOV, bfloatpointrender and all the other poo poo you need to change to stick. :doh:

Question though: is there a good way or mod to change a follower's (or NPC's I suppose) appearance on the fly? I've looked at some interesting followers but don't like the look on them (mostly the butt-ugly anime hairs). Or do I have to do it through the CK?

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 5, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smol posted:

You can do it! I was planning on finally doing it myself, and seeing that a new OP for modding was in the works pushed me over to give it a shot (and mods outside of SKYUI, a shot). I figured on taking advantage of years of modding and wiki infrastructure and doing it now, though.

The good news, I'm farther than I've ever gotten! The bad news, I'm still faffing about telling myself "I'll get back to the main quest, just as soon as-X" I told myself in the early teens and oh I'm level 35 when did that happen, even accounting for Binging from 60-100 Smithing.

You know you have a problem when you are still dressing yourself in Orc gear, while putting your followers and Steward in shiny fancy Nordic armor. And then learning after the fact people won't wear that stuff when they aren't your active follower :downs: I see the fancy weapons I gave them, though, so that's good for if I ever feel like rehiring lydia/seeing if I can make Ogol take a break from living alone in my half furnished lake house.

GunnerJ posted:

You can imagine that the left panel simulates the "install order" of the mods. When you run the game through MO, the program looks at non-plugin assets in a way that assumes that the lowest item on the list takes priority, just as if if you were installing all these mods with loose assets (i.e., not in a BSA) and the last-installed assets overwrote whatever was already in skyrim\data (without actually, like, overwriting any actual files). Alternately, you can think of it as being like plugin load order for assets: just as the last-loaded plugin's records override the others, the last-loaded mod's external assets override any others. This is useful for when you decide that you want some specific assets to override a most general set of assets, like textures or something. It's also how you handle mod instructions that specify "install order" with respect to other mods.

Thanks, the order of both lists matters was what was throwing me off, due to seeing the term "Load order" thrown around, it not being quite as simple as "It's that list, not the other list" took a bit to sink in despite so much else being clear once read up on.

Stuff like how brawl bugs is suggested to be put late in the order, but knowing properly what that means instead of just shrugging and shuffling both lists hoping it works out in the eventuality I start using more complicated mods :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

so i installed the INIGO mod for the first time

not a fan of the purple cat's singing, but what puts him head and shoulders over other followers is that he doesn't try to occupy the same space in reality as you at all times and will in fact apologize and step out of your way if you get right in his doorway-blocking grill in a pointed fashion

not as quickly and promptly as the follower cast in half-life 2, but just being comparable says volumes

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Brhuce Hammar doesn't, because you're his follower. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I'm using the latest Frostfall and noticed that, on a new character, any time I get hypothermia there appears to be a stat calculation problem.

Hypothermia gives a -30 debuff to some skills, but it seems that on a fresh character that only has 10 or so in some skills, the -30 wraps around to a super high value so I end up being way BETTER at the skill with hypothermia. Wondering if anyone has ran into this before.

I don't have my mod list on hand atm but I'm using SPERG and Skyrim Community Uncapper, which are the main two mods that edit skills in my list that I'm aware of. Any chance these mods are allowing this wraparound, and is there any way to fix it?