Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
[posted this in the old thread like a dummie because I didn't realize it wasn't just updating the OP there]

I'm totally new to this whole Skyrim modding thing. Haven't even played the base game for years.

I'd like to be able to wander around, get lost in the woods, explore neat poo poo, etc. I don't care about the big quests, I don't care about crafting (hated the grind of it), would like to avoid the temptation of fast travel type stuff, etc. I'm not looking for super realism or hardcore mode, I just want to chill and feel like I'm really exploring an open world.

I noticed there are no weather mods on the list. Sounds like it's just an oversight? I've seen things online about sweet fog and storms, super dark spoopy nights, etc. Also snazzy skies and stars and such. Sounds kinda neat--are there any that are goon-approved?

Does this list seem to cover my goals?
  • Mod Manager
  • SKSE
  • USLEEP
  • SkyUI
  • Immersive HUD
  • Extended UI
  • iNeed
  • Morrowloot 4E
  • Frostfall
  • Crash fixes
  • Modern Brawl Bug Fix
  • Consistent Older People
  • Quality World Map
  • Run For Your Lives
  • Immersive Animations
  • Better Stealth Followers
  • Realistic Water 2
  • Static Mesh Improvement
  • Audio Overhaul
  • Enhanced Lights and FX

Hopefully the whole SKSE and Mod Manager installation and use thing will be self-explanatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

GunnerJ posted:

incogneato, I added a few weathery things to the AV section, basically one of Purity or Climates of Tamriel, and also True Storms. Your list looks good for your purposes imo but I'll see if I can think of anything else.

Awesome, thanks!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Regarding SPERG, the OP says this:

GunnerJ posted:

Warning: The installer is a little messed up, you need to move the file SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini from the data\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins folder to data\SKSE\Plugins. You'll also need to make sure you move the Dragonborn and Dawnguard patches out of the Optional folder.

I'm a modding newbie idiot, but I don't see a data\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins folder in the Skyrim directory. I installed SPERG through Mod Organizer--does that make a difference? I can see that SPERG directory in the Mod Organizer folder, so I'm guessing that's the one? I opened a save game without doing the above and SPERG appears to be there and working, but I have no idea if it's working as intended.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

GunnerJ posted:

Agents wrote that so he'll have to clarify but if you're using MO, nothing you install through it will actually be in skyrim\data as MO stores every mod's files in their own folders.

(One more fact to add to the OP!)

Yeah, I decided it must be the MO copy and did the OP's trick with that file. I created a new game and started with 15 or 20 in every skill tree. Is that normal for SPERG or does that mean I screwed something up?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Chaltab posted:

So in terms of combat changing mods I have SPERG and Deadly Combat installed; would either of those possibly be the cause of a character being seemingly ridiculously overpowered? Like, most enemies die with one swing of my longsword even on Expert Difficulty overpowered?

This was from last page, but I'm kind of curious about this also. I'm just using SPERG (no combat mods), but I feel like I'm leveling really fast. I'm just following the usual start of the game, a little ways into Bleak Falls Barrow, and I'm already nearly level 6, even with passive armor leveling toned down. Is that normal? It's been so many years since I played Skyrim (vanilla or otherwise) that I can't even remember.

Mainly I don't want the game to feel trivial at any point--which I think even vanilla Skyrim did eventually. I've upped the difficulty and clicked the "Hardcore" mode in SPERG. I'm considering trying to figure out how to muck about with this bit listed in the SPERG readme, unless someone thinks I should avoid it:

SPERG Readme posted:

If you think the leveling rate is too fast and want it to be closer to vanilla speed while still keeping my balance changes, you can replace the values in [SkillExpGainMults] to whatever you prefer. The following values are balanced around weapon skills remaining at the normal rate while adjusting everything else to match (approximately 12.5% faster than vanilla):
fAlchemy=0.9
fAlteration=1.1
fArchery=1.0
fBlock=1.25
fConjuration=1.35
fDestruction=1.25
fEnchanting=1.1
fHeavyArmor=1.25
fIllusion=1.25
fLightArmor=1.25
fLockpicking=1.1
fOneHanded=1.0