Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I have trouble imagining Bethesda gaming without mods, but 1) the SE has mods and will gain more over time and 2) apparently the vast overwhelming majority of the playerbase doesn't play with ANY mods at all. Unless there's some very specific overhaul mod available on one version and not the other, I don't imagine there's much reason to grab the older iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Moonpath to Elsweyr :colbert:

That one was ridiculously, heinously broken when I tried it, for some reason, so I don't think I got the full experience.

Or maybe you're supposed to be lost in a confusing mess of broken event flags while whittling down enemies that have six times your health and one-shot you in the middle of massive impromptu in-faction spider/drider/thief gang wars, I'm not sure. It was still kind of fun.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
The whole civil war quest in Skyrim is garbo and I'd like to slap both factions and the elves and call it a day. If you have to choose a side though, I think I'm going to hard-pass on the xenophobic kin-slaying rear end in a top hat faction.

its like the stormcloaks were created to make the imperials look good by comparison and its that one comic but 'wow cool vikings' instead of a robot for a lot of people

And that's being...somewhat charitable about what people are reading into the Stormcloaks. But yeah, at least the Imperials remaining in the region and allied is a slightly bigger middle finger to the elves, who are the biggest jerks of all.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

I don’t see any giant boobs, butts, or dick in this pic, so I have a hard time saying this boils down Skyrim modding to its essentials :v:

These are the bare essentials, what you're describing are just the (excessively large) bells and whistles

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Makes sense, all the really good dwemer materials are going into their weird reality-bending science projects, wouldn't make sense to waste design time or materials on rank and file militia, especially if cheap, mass-produced crap still outclasses half the rest of the world's metallurgy centuries onward.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Do literally any creative thing/content creation for the internet and you will quickly find that a small portion of the population is violently self-centered, toxic, and stupid, and there is nothing stopping that small sliver of people from doing everything in their power to make your life worse. Small miscommunications or entirely imagined sleights blow up into being doxxed or brigaded or receiving death threats or being stalked for years by some intensely strange person who has literally dozens of alt accounts created over multiple years on multiple sites for this express purpose.

Most of these people are Too Online or too dim to actually do much harm, but it's sort of exhausting to deal with, especially with the stress hanging over your head that maybe, some day, one of these gits will actually try to make good on their threats. In context it's sort of wild that anyone puts anything out on the internet.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 25, 2020

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Vanilla Skyrim is kind of eh. It's okay. Dwemer urbex hell is kind of cool I guess, but that's balanced by loving hating huge segments of the overworld and main plotline. The game kept my attention long enough that I ended up completing the main story, which is more than I can say for unmodded Oblivion, which I only beat out of spite for the leveled lists breaking and half the enemies becoming rats with a hundred times more hp than me. Made the churlish and idiotic mistake of making my leveled skills stuff that I wanted to max out and then proceeding to do so, what kind of fool would do that.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, for all that TES writing tends to be lame and inflexible in the face of whatever dumpster-fire fate has decided to commit to the world, I kind of like the daedric princes mostly just being sort of aloof and unconcerned with your petty mortal bullshit. Meridia seems to be just about at the edge of their patience simply having to stoop down long enough to give you orders, being bothered by your backsass is actively beneath them.

E: Like, weirdly, it feels like the weaker Daedric princes are the more dangerous ones, because they might actually notice and care about your existence long enough to be offended into smiting you.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2020

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know why it's so hard to resist the urge to Stealth Archer everything. Taking 4 followers with me and Leeroy Jenkinsing into a forsworn camp and slaughtering everything that moves is the most fun I ever have in Skyrim, but the next barb camp that comes along, I find myself carefully sneaking around with my bow and suddenly think, why the hell am I doing this?

It's because the later TES games don't exactly have the best engine or balance for anything else, but they are pretty neat bow-sniper excursion simulators. They just sort of naturally push you in that direction.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Later Elderscrolls? compared to the perfect engine and balance of Arena and Daggerfall?

Haha, no, I mean the Bethesda games introduce to the jank-heap an unparalleled ability to parkour up pillars and into dark corners and stealthily eliminate guards from clever vantage points; the descriptor there was meant to be taken as a whole, maybe I should have rewritten it not to be two separate clauses.

What I'm trying to point out is that by about Morrowind or Oblivion TES games have remained terrible TES hack and slash adventures but have become the barest skeleton of a really excellent open-world Thief game and it's a shame that I can't think of any mods that polish that concept to the brilliant shine it deserves and can probably manage. As I imagine it, ditch inventory-juggling loot items, add some specialty arrows and vendors for them, and allow for accumulating and spending gold as a parallel progression system to xp and dragon souls and Skyrim's 90% of the way there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Games > Skyrim Modding: Xeno's Paradox: The Game

God it's too real

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I just figured that quest was completely unfinishable; I've attempted it in every run of the game I did, trying different things, modded and unmodded, and it would always break somewhere. Looking at the...three pages in small-point font of the bugs section at the end of a wiki page on it, I can see why I came to that conclusion.

At least a couple of times I at least managed to get bored of the thieve's guild and assassin quests before they broke entirely; I never fully mapped out what I had to do and what absolutely must not happen to make that particular murder mystery work out.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Being Skyrim, I couldn't help but think of KoDP/Glorantha and always kind of imagined it was a God Quest sort of situation. Take this blueprint for how the world is supposed to work and gently caress things up enough in the right way that the world/timeline god/whatever breaks in your favor.

I dunno, the scrolls are macguffins in the Elder Scrolls universe, it'd be a bigger surprise if they were completely consistent in their presentation and behavior.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I reinstalled Skyrim yesterday :negative:

If only smilies worked in thread titles, this would about work

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The existential despair of reinstalling Skyrim.

I am hoping to soon finally replace my decade-old system, and I am dreading this exact moment acutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Program files and program files x86 are special places with extra rules attached, anywhere else that isn't a system folder should work fine for such things.