Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I caved and installed the special edition last night which means I'm probably going to lose the next month of my life to Skyrim. Whoops/huzzah?

Last I played I was running around 100 or so mods, so for a change of pace I'd like to keep my list pretty short this time. A lack of SKSE helps out in that regard. Below is my currently installed list and my wish list. If anyone has opinions about the "would like to install" section or if you know of a good mod that has already been ported to SSE, let me know? So far I've only compiled this short list, I've yet to dive into the Nexus to see if any of these exist yet.

Already installed
Unofficial patch
SPERG
Sky UI 2.2

Would like to install (I've forgotten the names of most of these, so these are just keywords)
Realistic archery sounds
Fire effects HD
Some armor pack (?)
Dynamic containers (ie. the one that makes non-interactive containers interactive)
Magic balancing mod
Immersive Hud
Run/Vampire bugfix
Inquisitive soul gems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've googled this endlessly with no results – is there a mod that changes sprint from toggle to hold for SSE? It's mind boggling to me that they'd change it and not at least give you an option to switch it back.

If not, do any of you modders have a rough idea of how possible would it be to create one without SKSE?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah it's either hilarious or infuriating depending on the situation.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

strategery posted:

So playing through skyrim again for the first time since beating it on release (SE and DLC (dlc for first time)). Was looking for a few specific mods:

- Fishing - It would be cool to have a fishing mod to allow you to catch food in rivers and lakes and such.
- First person horse mode.

And help or options here?

Bow fishing exists in the game already! Just park yourself at s waterfall.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

In the "hot files" there's this really creepy "character overhaul" that turns every woman in the College of Winterhold into a little girl.

:nexus:

It'd actually be kind of hilarious to hear one of these faces saying, "Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!"

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Question for someone who is more in touch with the Skyrim modding community than I am: why isn't SKSE a community project? Seems like it's taking far longer than it should to release for SE, and I'm wondering why the developers haven't released the source on Github so other folks can help them work on it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I truly don't see the downside with them going 'ok here is what we have so far contribute if you'd like we will when we can' and letting the community give it a crack. There is no project ownership in any way besides the status-quo-pride angle. It might be confusing, sure, because there are 3 different versions of SKSE for SSE but doesn't that illustrate exactly why they should just open source it? If there are enough people out there to make three different versions of SKSE that that's all those people contributing to those hypothetical SKSEs that currently aren't for whatever reasons. The reverence for the SKSE team is a problem because it makes me feel like they like that, they like being those gatekeepers either because they feel like they own the SKSE code or they just like the power or they enjoy the adoration. If you can find a reason why they don't open source it besides 'well they don't want to confuse the little dumb users' then I'd love to hear it.

Not to continue this debate endlessly, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not like opening up a project on Github (or wherever) and managing pull requests is some impossible pipe dream no one in any form of software development has ever tried. Especially if the source code is already accessible as Raygereio mentioned, the fears of it being forked and distributed independently are kind of unfounded.

I understand pride of ownership, but we're almost seven months post SE launch and there's been no real movement. I don't feel like there are many good excuses anyone can make given the community is willing and likely extremely capable of helping out.

Anywho.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I would go with frostfall because it makes the frozen north feel actually frozen, and its really well done.

I'll be honest, I'm playing SE right now and it's my first time in Skyrim in a long time without Frostfall and it's kind of nice. In some ways I still play like I'm using Frostfall (I avoid swimming in cold regions, I camp out if a blizzard rolls through, I don't leave town after dark), but not having to deal with constant debuffs when I'm anywhere north of Windhelm is nice.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is there an SSE mod that makes enemies less of pincushions at Legendary difficulty? I just hit the point in my pure mage play through where I went from cowering in the shadows and abusing geometry to exploding everything in my path into a fine red mist, so I want to increase the difficulty. However the "shoot 100 fireballs at this guy instead of 20" thing drives me nuts. My goal is for combat to be deadly for both myself and my enemies.

I had something like this for vanilla Skyrim, but I went through a Windows reinstall recently and lost my old mod list.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

nelson posted:

Are there any mods that give innate magic resistance via regular armor? My idea is about half the armor rating would go into physical protection and half would go into magic protection. I want to play a heavy armor wearer who crafts her own armor that can survive pesky mages and dragons without going down the enchanting rabbit hole.

Pretty sure SPERG has a perk that does this.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's me, one of the salty guys about SKSE! I wasn't the saltiest.

Here's to hoping SkyUI gets a quick update because my Super Storage menu is becoming unusably huge.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone have opinions on how safe it is to introduce Burma into my ongoing game? According to the documentation on Nexus it shouldn't be uninstalled, so I'm wondering what the chances are that I'm going to totally bork my save. I'm playing special edition.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

There's a mod for Burma? Why would someone add an Asian country to Skyrim?

:doh:

Yeah, I plan on keeping a backup save at the very least. However I'd rather not install the mod, play for several hours and then have to revert to a previous save and lose whatever progress I've made in the mean time. I'm really just curious about people's experiences with the mod and saves, especially if you played through it and then continued on the same save afterwards.

Sky Shadowing posted:

But yes, Bruma should be pretty safe to add mid-game, it only alters Skyrim's stuff a bit.

Good to know! Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of stuff it's altering?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

Strictly I think it only adds some objects to the Skyrim worldspace, a border door and such, a few new NPCs.

Thanks much!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely play SE instead of Oldrim. There's really no reason to play the latter unless you already have it all modded to hell and back or have an old computer that can't handle SE.

Or if you want some specific anime titties mod that doesn't exist for SE I guess.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

Ortinator with Apocalypse will give you the magic part of that request.

This. I’m doing an unarmored Apocalypse mage playthrough on Master difficulty and at level 30ish every fight boils down to “how do I want to play with these mobs before I blow them all to pieces?” Legendary makes you feel a bit less OP, but you have to deal with damage sponges in a way that isn’t that fun.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Could you give me a rundown of your average magic/spell-use in combat and a rough equipment layout?

It depends on the fight, really, since some spells work better than others on different mobs. I'm terrible at remembering spell names, so you'll probably have to look some of these up. I may be in the minority, but I enjoy Skyrim melee combat – dodging around as an unarmored mage with a dagger in one hand and a spell in the other is very satisfying to me. Of course I can't take more than one or two hits, but that usually isn't an issue and also serves to increase my Restoration at a rapid rate. For armor I use mostly cloth and light armor boots/gloves back when my enchanting sucked. Now I'm pretty much in full cloth with +Magicka or +Magicka Regen on almost everything.

For something like an Ice Troll (back when they were threatening in my lower levels), I'd stack fire spells with DoT damage and then use a spell that increases damage dealt by weapons when the target is burning. I'd dodge in and out smacking the thing with my dagger. If they felt overpowering, I'd use the spell that kills any living thing below 25% health as an oh-poo poo exit strategy.

For melee mobs that completely overwhelm me, I tend to use Creeping Cold a lot. It slows them like most frost spells, but then also freezes them solid and causes them to fall over about once ever 10 seconds. I'd use that time to stack them up with some DoTs or to heal myself.

For most melee fights I start off with a Leech Seed + Lamb of Mara combo. Leech Seed is a DoT that transfers health to you and Lamb of Mara is similar in that when the enemy is damaged you get a portion of their health (I think?). These are absolutely vital for the way I'm playing, and I they're permanent fixtures on my hotkeys. I'll reapply them at least once or twice on high level mobs.

Before I had Invisiblity I tended to use Ghostwalk a lot to scout out encounters before I actually engaged. If I'm remembering correctly, you can also pickpocket using ghostwalk, which is hilariously fun.

When I need to make a fast exit and need a diversion, Evil Twin is a fantastic spell. It creates ghostly copies of every enemy in range as long as it's channeled. I'll usually pop a few potions, dual cast it (which makes two copies) and run off to some dark corner. By the time I run out of magicka, I'm usually far enough away to sneak.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm also on Apocalypse, but have a bit of a mage/thief/assassin type of deal that I'm having a bit if a hard time with

Yeah, this is also sort of what I was doing, but I ended up going more in the mage direction than thief/assassin after about lvl 20. I still pumped Illusion pretty hard in the beginning because Frenzy/Pacify are my bread and butter on most fights involving more than three mobs. Once you get Sneak up to a high enough level you can also backstab mobs and, if they don't die, calm them and then backstab again. I did a lot of running and hiding before level 20 so I could regain health and try a different tactic. Also, don't disregard Alteration. I feel like that's always my biggest mistake. Ocato's Recital definitely helped me use buffs more than I would in vanilla.

Apocalypse is great because there's a spell that can be used to fit almost any scenario. On the other hand, it's a pain because it requires a lot of navigating menus and it's insanely expensive. Now that my character is in his 30s most fights aren't terribly difficult, and I tend to quickslot three or four spells that I think will work well in any given dungeon so I don't have to constantly hit Q during every fight. I also leave Soulcloak on semi-permanently, which means I'm constantly rolling in soul gems. I enchant every single item I find before I sell it, and all of that extra money goes directly into buying spells (and more soul gems). You'll definitely need the cash.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 16, 2017

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

axeil posted:

I'm using Open Cities and it works great. Glad that the past history of Gategate is gone and Arthmoor is less up his own rear end these days.

Are you sure? They're still there for me in SE, but they only load after I've entered and exited a building in the town.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Has anyone tried using the SE version of SkyUI with Skyrim VR? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and grabbing another copy of Skyrim like some sort of idiot who hates money, but SkyUI is the one mod I'd rather not play without.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So speaking of Oblivion, what's the most brainlessly simple way to mod it in TYOOL 2018? I feel like every time I reinstall it I end up futzing with a half dozen texture replacers and Darnified UI only to have textures break and Darn... just not work. Is there a bundled mod pack with an installer or something that I can just double click (and hopefully only install a few viruses)?

I'd like to revisit the game because I haven't played it more than 2 or 3 hours at a time since 2006 when I first beat the main quest, so it's basically a completely new game to me again. But I don't have the patience to jump back to how modding worked 12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Protip: use the point and teleport movement system for Skyrim VR. I don’t usually get sick in VR games but something about Skyrim’s default movement made me want to puke after less than 10 minutes of playing.