Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
After installing Bug Fixes and Crash Fixes I seem to be having to trouble with Smart Souls on this latest play-through. Does anybody else have both of these installed along with the pre-loader for OS Allocators, and Smart Souls? I still the get the messages about a captured soul's quality and escaped souls, but when I ran out of Lesser Gems earlier, the souls started filling Common ones. I've tried disabling Crash Fixes and Bug Fixes, but not the pre-loader DLL. I don't know right off which one I need to remove, and I'm not in a hurry to mess with my INI setup just now. It's just the only thing I can think of that might cause an SKSE plugin to only work halfway.

I don't have any tweaks in the Smart Souls INI file. It should be defaults all the way, i.e., ForceSoulSoulGemSizeMatch=1.

Edit: Taking out the pre-loader and disabling Crash and Bug Fixes didn't change anything, so I guess it's not that. As far as I can tell, the only mods I have that might touch Soul Gems are Apocalypse, SPERG, and SoulFire, all of which I've had forever, and they never interfered with Smart Souls before. I think only SPERG actually does anything, and I haven't taken the perk that increases the magnitude of souls by one with this character.

Fake Edit 2: Somewhere along the way (Januaryish) SoulFire feature-crept and added "Soul Harvester" which replicates Acquisitive Soul Gems, but ties the matching of gem and soul sizes to your Conjuration level. I guess I didn't read far enough into the patch notes of a mod I've had for years without really using much, aside from when I'm filling gems, and use the spell so I don't have to constantly recharge my binding weapons.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Probably not worth adding to the OP, but if you enjoy Uncle Sheogorath's altered loading screens, there are versions available for the Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn loading screens. You should install them directly to the Recycle Bin unless, "Here's an ax. Reminds me of when I turned your mother into a chipmunk. Chipmunk! SQUEEEEE!", gets a chuckle out of you. They're made by somebody other than Tumbleworld, and whoever it was just didn't have the right skill set.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

incogneato posted:

This was from last page, but I'm kind of curious about this also. I'm just using SPERG (no combat mods), but I feel like I'm leveling really fast. I'm just following the usual start of the game, a little ways into Bleak Falls Barrow, and I'm already nearly level 6, even with passive armor leveling toned down. Is that normal? It's been so many years since I played Skyrim (vanilla or otherwise) that I can't even remember.

Mainly I don't want the game to feel trivial at any point--which I think even vanilla Skyrim did eventually. I've upped the difficulty and clicked the "Hardcore" mode in SPERG. I'm considering trying to figure out how to muck about with this bit listed in the SPERG readme, unless someone thinks I should avoid it:
Sooner or later you become a golden god unless you've collected every hell-mod for combat and difficulty (maybe). That's just Skyrim. Anyway, yeah you can tweak all those settings however you like. The values in SPERG are just what he thought baseline Vanilla should be like, and in (uncapped) Vanilla, with what I've put into this character, I'd be level 150+ right now with godlike weapons and armor well beyond the cap, every skill at over 100, and over a million gold to my name.

Personally I muck around with those settings because I want to stay in the early game, struggling to be just a bit more powerful and earn a perk that will make life easier, for as long as possible. Most things are set to 0.6 or less (crafting is higher because tedium), for most of the game, and crafting puts in around 0.1 of what it normally would toward character levels. Then I ratchet the merchants to cut-throat using "Trade & Barter", so at the start of the game they're paying like 5 gold for an iron sword and they'll turn around and sell it to you for 100+. Morrowloot and patches make crafting loops impossible, and I have to carry around quest items like the Forgemaster's Fingers and the Ring of Pure Mixtures, if I want a little boost to forging and alchemy. Guess what, though? Around level 50 I can still improve a sword and get enough enchants so that it does 300+ damage, and most things die in 1-3 hits. And while buying stuff from merchants stays pretty expensive, selling stuff to them still manages to get to the point where I can bankrupt a merchant or two with my dungeon haul, and I'm looking for money-sink mods to try so I have something to spend my 500K surplus on.

The problem is that nothing seems to scale well. I'm level 78 right now, and I'm mainly just trying out Interesting NPC quests I haven't done before because I couldn't be bothered to wade through the characters' dialogue trees. It takes me forever to earn a level, unless I sink gold into training. I can fix that in the uncapper by adding another tier of multipliers if I want, but trying to fix the issue with my majority stake in Nirn is a problem I've never been able to solve adequately. Early on, Trade & Barter makes it so I have to clear a safe location to use for storage, and save every bit of gold if I want to make any big purchases, like a house. Speech provides nice improvements for a while. Then around Expert level Speech, I'm Mr. Charming, and I'd have to tweak the MCM values to ridiculous levels, so merchants will only accept steel and iron as gifts, to keep from making an absolute fortune. I guess next time through I'll have to try one of those no loot-gold and/or less-loot mods, and a quest rewards overhaul.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

There is at least one: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36125/

Other fix/tweak mods may fix this too. Actually I think Bug fixes might? (eta: nope)

That mod's description says you're better off using http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/40706/ instead. It's a SKSE plugin at least, so no waste of a slot. That being said, I always just go into the plain old Tab menu (the compass thing with "Skills/Level Up", "Magic", "Items", and "Map" on it) prior to switching windows. For some reason, the desktop cursor never lingers if I alt-tab from that screen.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

docbeard posted:

My favorite example of this was some wildlife mod that for some reason added a ridiculous wolf pack that your level 2 or so character can in no way handle right outside of Helgen, and the modder's advice to people who asked about this was "oh don't turn the mod on til you're level 10 or so".

Balance seems to be kind of a running problem with enemy mods. The old Monster Mod back in the day liked to drop demon things along the road that were 15-20 levels higher than you; which isn't something you can overcome at level 2 with Minor Healing potions and unenchanted iron everything. Immersive Creatures loves its packs, and doesn't scale the variety too well. I just started a mage character in Windhelm, and right now can only cast one Fire Rune before my magicka is too low to do anything but sling one or two Fire Bolts and run around waiting for it to recharge. I crossed the bridge out of town and turned right, 2 plain wolves, a red wolf pup, and 2 feral ice wolves came boiling out of the brush. Either of the two feral (why is this adjective here) wolves would be a handful on its own. As a crowd, all I could do was keep firing off potshots and jumping into the water. Headed up the road to Kynesgrove, 8-9 rieklings charged out from behind a rock, including a mounted charger. Plain rieklings can kill me in two-shots, but any of the hunters, scouts, etc. can one-shot me from a distance, and the charger can do enough damage in one hit to kill me two or three times. Head to the left toward the farms, more rieklings. Try to go to Winterhold, rieklings.

I think you can turn some of that poo poo off in the MCM. I always at least turn off skeleton resurrection, but I don't think it should be up to the player to point out that a platoon of anything is pretty unrealistic for a level 2 character. I managed the wolves, but I had to very carefully lead the rieklings to a wandering giant, who then helped them develop a space program. What's silly is that running the defaults, the scale will slip from a range of "manageable" to "HOLY poo poo RUN!" to between "yawn" and "mostly manageable" by about level 25.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Well, with SPERG installed, Breton + Awakened Racials Perk + Agent of Mara + Resist Magic Perk (Alteration level 70) gets you past the 85% Magic Resistance cap from vanilla. For everybody else, Agent of Mara + Resist Magic gets you 45%, after a fair bit of leveling, and if you're willing to do Heavy Armor you can take Spectral Warding out of the Illusion tree at a fairly low level. That maxes at 40% resistance when you have armor near the vanilla rating cap, so you can eventually hit the cap without enchantments. You can always take the Lord Stone too, if you want to make up the difference. It's kind of rough at the beginning for a non-Breton, yeah. If you're willing to go to Riften and do that boring quest, and/or you're not role-playing a lightly armored barbarian you barely need Resist Magic enchantments once you're a few hours in, though.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Is Spectral Warding level 70? For some reason I was thinking it was level 40ish, since it's just right there off the first branch, but you're probably right. I always just pump potions of resist magic in the interim. Maybe it's a mod I have installed, but my last run with a Nord knight, I always had 5-6 of those things in my inventory that were at least 25-30% on top of Agent of Mara, and I never made or bought one. Oh, and I started in Solitude and got the Shield of Solitude pretty early on, so that's an extra 30% Magic Resistance + 30% or 35% Blocking bonus, IIRC. The Potema quest was a bitch, since it's all draugr and magic users, but between sniping with a bow and luring enemies into narrow hallways, I managed. Although, I may have only survived Potema because I quickly backed out of the final room, and waited for her minions to come through the door one at a time like they were in a Jackie Chan film.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

His stake in this is (iirc) that he believes that the way MO works must be causing some number of problems that idiot mouthbreather USERS falsely blame on his artistic vision (those loving trolls).

What's his deal with Wrye Bash, though? I never made much use of it for Skyrim because getting it to recognize that I'm interested in managing Skyrim instead of Oblivion this time, and vice versa, was a pain in the rear end in the first version I used. But I don't recall that it magically tracks conflicting loose files, and fixes the data directory if you ever uninstall the last mod that wrote a particular file, or that you can change your preference just by reordering your mod list. Yet every time it comes up, he acts like Wrye has every good feature MO has, but it doesn't dare to touch BSAs in a non-Bethesda way, and doesn't use a VFS, so it's automatically superior.

He's made an awful lot of strong claims about MO over the years without going into any real detail from what I've seen. He said once that MO's VFS "degrades over time" or words to that effect, but didn't explain what was happening, or how he knew about it. It's not impossible, and he seems like the sort of person who could put in the work to determine that. On the other hand, he also seems like the kind of person who'll just make up bullshit to get his way.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah, I know Arthmoor can be paranoid and kooky. Statements along the lines of a virtual file system somehow degrading aren't wacky opinions, though. Somewhere along the line he had to back that up by describing how Skyrim accessing it causes blocks to become corrupt, or he had to deflect with an "uncle who works at Nintendo" defense, or maybe nobody challenged him because there's no point. It's probably the last one. I'm just curious if anyone knows.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

Raygereio posted:

WryeBash actually does have this feature. If you have mod A, install mod B that overwrites a file X from mod A. And then uninstal mod B, Wrye Bash can restore the mod A version of file X. It's called Anneal and requires that you installed all your mods via BAIN installers.
Thing is: MO's method of handling this sort of thing is way better as it gives the user more control over the whole process and doesn't make you dependant on the mod author having set up a BAIN installer correctly.

Relies on manifests included in the BAIN packages, I take it?

Seems like this is kind of poorly documented, aside from telling you what it's meant to do in the Wrye Bash readme. I went looking for how it works, how the installers are structured, or what BAIN even actually stands for, and eventually found a bug report on Git Hub where Arthmoor was complaining that Auto-Anneal doesn't function in WB as of 2014. A fix was made in May of this year that may get it working again, but nobody in the thread has confirmed. All of which is sort of funny in a way.

Edit: I had guessed Bash Installer, and it looks like that's what it is. Yeah, MO's solution is better. Works for everything and doesn't require everyone use a particular format that had to be invented, at least in part, just to solve the issue.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2016

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
That makes more sense. From my earlier reading on GitHub it sounds like it would CRC all the drat files and search for them by name and CRC in every installed archive Bash is aware of, or check each archived file to see if it's in the game folder. (Arthmoor briefly remarked that a change in CRC should have affected the Anneal feature, anyway.) I can see how that could get to be a horrible drag, regardless of the direction it's approached from.

I used Bash for Oblivion too, but I pretty much installed mods according to one mega-pack/guide, played through it once, and never touched it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Whats Wyrmstooth like?
It's OK. I thought the main quest line in it was an uninspired slog, and the mod was mostly unfinished. You can stumble upon a couple of side quests that are sort of neat. The big selling point was supposed to be the new landmass, but most of that was unfinished and sort of empty when I played it last. As in, the first village you come to has a few NPCs in it, but most of them don't interact with you, and about a third of the buildings were empty. Most of what's there is what was needed for the main quest. And I updated the mod maybe a month or two before the author lost his mind, or had a breakdown, or whatever it was, so I doubt it's seen any massive changes. Unless there's an "unofficial" version floating around.

It also doesn't integrate well with the rest of the game, in my opinion. All the rewards for playing Wyrmstooth content are either red herrings, pretty mundane, or they stay on the island when you're through. I think I remember finding either a magic item or some spell/power as a reward for one side quest that might have been newish, but apart from that it was just vanilla rewards and a partially finished player "house", a fair ways from the main village, that you didn't have much reason to use. It also added red and blue ore/ingots that were just vendor trash, since no crafting recipes were developed. I thought I'd at least be able to take that back to Skyrim and craft something new that could stay with me, but nope.

There's no reason not to give it a go. It was built up to be something on par with DLC, and it's not that, though.

Herrvillain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 19, 2017