Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Last thread, but I wanted to say thanks for clearing up my issues with Brawls still bugging out despite Brawl Bugs Patch, and the SPERG Brawl mode toggle.

Swapped the brawl fix mods, and the next attempt at a brawl worked out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I'm re-sorting stuff, installing everything via Mod Organizer rather than mix workshop and Organizer. (New game a given just in case, but I wasn't very far in anyways :v:)

So far, the main snag seems to be it wants to claim I'm "missing masters" for the three Highres texture packs, if I install the unofficial high res patch.

Everything I can dig up, says "Did you make sure you have the DLC?", which I do, even redownloaded then verified. I've hit the sort button to run loot, my load order after that seems to line up with the "make your load order look like this". Basically I've done all the "Did you do the obvious thing?" I can locate with google.

If I checkbox the texture packs on the plugins list, the red ! goes away from the Unofficial patch on that list, at least. But I still have the "There are potential problems with your setup" indicator. It's just that clicking that doesn't pop up any boxes in this situation.

Stuff that could deal in textures that I know of are-
The unofficial legendary edition patch
Weapons and armor fixes remade
Armored Circlets by Quickfox (The ones namedropped by the complete crafting overhaul).

Is it just the organizer being finicky over the High res files? Or what? I feel silly considering this is a common thing, but what fixes I locate are things that I already have done.

Unrelated: That Wiseman303's Flora patch likes to say it needs to be updated to 2.1 from 2.0. Though that seems to be some kind of installer quirk as the file downloaded is labeled for 2.1, and the mod author has commented "If the file says 2.1, then it's fine". So I just hit the ignore update button on that.

EDIT: The magic of posting on the internet!

1st Organizer restart: Still has the lingering !
2nd restart: Still has the lingering !
*posts about it*
3rd Organizer restart: Oh look, NOW it thinks everything is fine :eng99:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 22, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Well, things are progressing nicely this time. First dragon is dead, and... Why do I have so many Perk points at level 7 for SPERG? Didn't I have more stamina by now with those stamina picks too last time?"

Sifting through old notes later, oh right. Combo forgetting to reinstall the community uncapper at first earlier, then not going back to double checking SPERG transferred over the new uncapper stuff :shepface: Some shuffling later and loading an early save, and taking stamina gave me 20 stamina again and, so seems to have taken.

I'll stop loving things up on a basic level eventually! Stuff like this is why I'm still afraid to try my hand at Skyrim Unbound or something, and just have a clean vanilla save right before vanilla chargen. I can only imagine what I'd gently caress up at this point with something that notably alters the starting quest structure :v:

...So of course I'll probably try my hand at Skyrim Unbound start tomorrow :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 23, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Sorry to say, but if you're doing this, you're already loving up. Probably. I am pretty sure, although I can't cite any examples, there are a bunch of mods that need to start with the game or behave weirdly if you add them mid-playthrough (which reverting to a clean save amounts to). Plus, alternate start mods are really, literally impossible to gently caress up. I can't speak much to Unbound, but I know that you just have to go to its MCM and set what you want and go. LAL starts you in a little room and then you talk to a statue and go from there. No external effort required besides putting them in your load order like any other mod.

Oh yeah, fresh character was a given for mods that were for, well, starting new characters. I was talking general cynicism.

But with how things can go at times, can't say the reminder of such wasn't warranted :v:

I swung by ye olde golden claw cave anyways despite the mod, but even spawning directly into Riverwood really smooths things out. I guess the mod also cut out the plot stone slab from the boss zombie, since it's streamlining the process.

But hey starting myself with 2,000 gold means I didn't have to obsessively loot every single bit of bandit and zombie gear. So that went very fast and I'm already arranging a dead witch back onto her lawn chair as per usual. (Being reminded of the existence of psychic powered 'Hired goons' even with Better Stealing, was a bit more painful).

Now to hope "Dragons eventually show up. Kill dragon. start main plot" works out allright. One uneventful trip down to Helgen later.

PS: Thank you cool and attractive internet people for wrangling this thread and subject.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: I finally remembered one last gripe I had with Legacy of the Dragonborn: there was a journal added by the mod that was supposedly written by an intelligent, scholarly Mage but just came off as what a stupid persons idea of a smart person sounds like.

Odd, I don't remember working on any mods.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

incogneato posted:

This was from last page, but I'm kind of curious about this also. I'm just using SPERG (no combat mods), but I feel like I'm leveling really fast. I'm just following the usual start of the game, a little ways into Bleak Falls Barrow, and I'm already nearly level 6, even with passive armor leveling toned down. Is that normal? It's been so many years since I played Skyrim (vanilla or otherwise) that I can't even remember.

Mainly I don't want the game to feel trivial at any point--which I think even vanilla Skyrim did eventually. I've upped the difficulty and clicked the "Hardcore" mode in SPERG. I'm considering trying to figure out how to muck about with this bit listed in the SPERG readme, unless someone thinks I should avoid it:

I'm still relatively early in the game despite being level 10 now. SPERG but not combat mods otherwise. If you had the uncapper stuff put in right, then you only get a perk every few levels (but also 20 stamina per level up pick, whoo!), which as far as my casual never got very far in this game self can tell, makes a big difference. My latest scrapping a game for a do over was realizing I forgot to double check those settings and ending up with tons of perk points.

Magic still wrecks my face. "Well, things have been going fine. I just cleaned out yet another place full of bandits-OH CHRIST" *Wispmother cold spam* "Well that sucked. Time to go find and kill that hagraven-SWEET gently caress" *witches BBQ themselves an Orc*

Bandits and assorted sporting proper steel gear like I am, are also turning up more often, too. Really any time I fight more than half naked fur wearing hobos, it flips from pancaking people with an axe to effort involved.

Note to self, try and work out how to find a Dragon so I can kick off the main plot, since I restarted with Skyrim Unbound.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Transmogrifier posted:

If you can't find a dragon you can force it to spawn by tweaking the settings in Skyrim Unbound for what causes them to spawn.

Yeah I'm hazy if the default "Max time to first dragon" has quite passed (And my luck is pretty dire on such elements), so I was going to switch that to Enabled and see how that shakes out after finally getting around to 25 Alchemy skill. Now that I'm finally starting to need those potions in the face of getting my balls fried or frozen off by magic or "Oh, a room full of dudes with Scimitars HURTS".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So this isn't Mod related (so far as I can tell), but suddenly one of my spells (Steadfast ward, in this case) refuses to equip in anything but the left hand. Whether I use the favorites menus, or normal item/spell menus.

There seemed to be a bit of fuckery with my war axe being auto equipped to my right hand at first (I guess SkyUI remembering fave positions? even though it behaves itself for the other spells), but even unfavoriting those and throwing them to the ground temporarily still left that spell refusing to equip anywhere but the left hand alone.

Nothing I do seems to want to get me able to be able to equip it in my right hand again. Any ideas? Or how to prevent this from happening with other spells?

What google results I can turn up, aren't helpful. Just suggesting equipping other one handed weapons, stuff about numbered hotkeys (Which I've yet to use), "try starting a new character then going back?", etc, which have not helped. (Also, loading saves way earlier than when this started happening, has it happen).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 3, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

This is something hard to diagnose without knowing what else you have installed.

90% of my mods list are Fixes/basics, at least. So that'd hopefully narrow things down if a Mod was involved and not just "Skyrim is buggy".

I've got the Unofficial patches,
SkyUI
Uncapper
Wiseman's flora Fixes
Weapon and armor fixes remade
Modern Brawl bug fix
Run for your lives
When Vampires attack
Hearthfire attacks disabled.
Better Stealing
Bounty gold

SPERG
Skyrim Unbound
The Paarthurnax Dilemma
Armored Circlets by Quickfox
Uncle Shegorath

Passive Weapon Enchantment Recharging (I'm not actually using anything but rings/amulets and the occasional staff right now).

ThaumPenguin posted:

Have you tried quitting and restarting?

Might just be a temporary hiccup.

I've tried quitting the program (and closing mod organizer too) a few times. I've tried making a new character. I've even loaded up much older saves before this kicked in, and it's effecting that particular spell for some reason still.

Steadfast Ward suddenly being left hand only no matter what I click, or if I use favorites or the main magic menu, is hardly the worst spell for this to happen to. But considering I'm starting to finally sling spells around instead of nothing but a pre fight stoneskin or quick healing spell, I'm hoping to nail this down for if it happens on more frequently used stuff/things I'd want to two hand cast.

There was a brownout while Skyrim was on earlier, but I could still cast Steadfast Ward with my right hand then too. I did just recently go through that dream sequence in Waking Nightmare, but considering this is also effecting saves from DAYS ago now, welp?

I really could have sworn I was casting it with my Right hand just fine, considering the assorted times I chucked it at my temporary quest follower just fine. Noticing the problem was when I was fumbling around trying to equip it, and then suddenly crit them in the back of the head with a war axe instead of casting a buff with M1 :v:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There are two steadfast ward spells in the game. One is left hand equip only and is more common. Try this in the console:

player.removespell 7231a

If that removes the spell then you had the left hand equip version.

player.addspell 211f1 will add the either hand version.

If you have any magic mods that type help "steadfast ward" and see if a mod adds anything. There should only be two spell references in that list.

I was just about to look into console removing and relearning the spell entirely. Let's see if that helps now that I don't need to look up the IDs. Outside of SPERG, and passive enchantment recharge, the only spell modifications would be whatever the Unofficial patches did to spells.

...Welp, when I used that suggested removal command with 7231a, it said "Spell 'steadfast ward not found in *character name*"

That said, The help command results show-

---Global variables---
---Other Forms---
Ench: (0704A019) 'steadfast ward'
Book: (000A2720) 'spell tome: steadfast ward'
Book: (0704A023) 'Spell tome: steadfast ward'
Spel: (000211F1) 'steadfast ward'
Spel: (0007231A) 'steadfast ward'
Spel: (0704A00F) 'steadfast ward'

Hopefully I didn't typo any of those. But, looks like three spells for two books?

I wish I had any idea what the hell caused this. All I can figure is that while juggling a bunch of faved spells/items while fumbling the clicks and rapidly switching stuff faster than my hands could go through redraw animations, some wires cross and it decided "You want steadfast ward so bad right this second? Have the first one we spit out at you"

EDIT: After the second ID you mentioned didn't work, I used the remove command on that mystery 3rd entry which got rid of it. Then I added the one you suggested and everything is in working order again.

Thanks for all the help, everybody. I swear to god I was casting it with my right hand just fine before, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a surprise to brain my quest companion with a war axe instead of throwing a buff with M1 :v:

Though it was shooting like a projectile, too. Instead of being sustain. Wish I knew more about this game in the first place.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Spel: (0704A00F) 'steadfast ward'

A mod is adding that and is the one you have. Whichever mod is seventh in your load order. That version is a left hand only spell which is why you can't equip it. Add the vanilla version I listed above with the console if you want the right hand option.

Also with the console you never need to tab out to look up an ID. Just bring up the console and type - help "what you're looking for". If the list is too long you can use page up and page down to scroll through it until you find what you're after.
That is very useful to know, thanks.

Lets see. If the big Mod organizer list to the left is the load order, than Mod #7 is... Weapon and Armor fixes remade. Huh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Actually not exactly 7th. The one with a seven next to it. Skyrim will be listed as 0. So the eighth in your list.

Raygereio posted:

The list to the left in MO is your install order and lists what mods you have installed. Loadorder refers to the order in which plugins are loaded and is to the right in MO.

Ah, that'd be the Unofficial skyrim legendary edition patch then EDIT: Ah, to the Right in the plugin's list it would be SPERG.

I've had the MO go from lots of red marks to more happy after shuffling stuff to the Left that pushing the Sort button on plugins didn't deal with, so I've been hazy on which was the "load order", such as it were. Both of those things have "Priority 7", but SPERG has a "Mod index 7", which is much more clear cut.

I'm messing around with item adds for books, now that I've got things saved/console options handy. Using the books adds the 2nd (Suggested right hand capable) and 3rd, modded one I removed (left hand only projectile). If I console add the first spell, it's a more expensive but weaker version of the sustain R/L hand one (Or perhaps just not interacting with SPERG skill scaling?).

So... Near as I can tell after the fact, SOMEHOW, I was having a not working as intended experience of being allowed to M1 right hand cast the Lefty only spell for quite a while. Because I was getting used to M1ing that thing at followers, which made suddenly M1ing an axe to the back of their heads and not being able to Right hand it that much more surprising.

Thanks again. While I'm still a bit :confused: about the circumstances leading to my questions, at least I know a lot more when it comes to basic spell troubleshooting.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 3, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "red marks," but if you're talking about a lightning bolt symbol with a red minus sign, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that one of its non-plugin assets is being overridden by another's mods. This is more or less unavoidable if you have two mods changing the same asset.

I honestly don't remember the exact issue, I recall shoving something up on the list to the Left, and whatever upset message it was telling me along the lines of "You will probably crash if you do this" at the time went away, which hitting the sort button on plugins did nothing at all for.

Continuing the stupid questions I am embarrassed to ask train. What does the "Priority" listing for the left list signify, then? Considering the priorities listing on the list to the left, and the plugins list to the right, don't necessarily line up even if you push that sort button.

The Mod index listing is pretty clear, at least. But then, that only shows up on the plugins list to the right anyways.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Smol posted:

Dear thread. After 5 years and almost 1000 hours in Skyrim, I still haven't finished the game (or even the Civil war questline). When the new Whatchamacallit edition comes out, I'm going to do it. I'm going to finish Skyrim. :black101:

You can do it! I was planning on finally doing it myself, and seeing that a new OP for modding was in the works pushed me over to give it a shot (and mods outside of SKYUI, a shot). I figured on taking advantage of years of modding and wiki infrastructure and doing it now, though.

The good news, I'm farther than I've ever gotten! The bad news, I'm still faffing about telling myself "I'll get back to the main quest, just as soon as-X" I told myself in the early teens and oh I'm level 35 when did that happen, even accounting for Binging from 60-100 Smithing.

You know you have a problem when you are still dressing yourself in Orc gear, while putting your followers and Steward in shiny fancy Nordic armor. And then learning after the fact people won't wear that stuff when they aren't your active follower :downs: I see the fancy weapons I gave them, though, so that's good for if I ever feel like rehiring lydia/seeing if I can make Ogol take a break from living alone in my half furnished lake house.

GunnerJ posted:

You can imagine that the left panel simulates the "install order" of the mods. When you run the game through MO, the program looks at non-plugin assets in a way that assumes that the lowest item on the list takes priority, just as if if you were installing all these mods with loose assets (i.e., not in a BSA) and the last-installed assets overwrote whatever was already in skyrim\data (without actually, like, overwriting any actual files). Alternately, you can think of it as being like plugin load order for assets: just as the last-loaded plugin's records override the others, the last-loaded mod's external assets override any others. This is useful for when you decide that you want some specific assets to override a most general set of assets, like textures or something. It's also how you handle mod instructions that specify "install order" with respect to other mods.

Thanks, the order of both lists matters was what was throwing me off, due to seeing the term "Load order" thrown around, it not being quite as simple as "It's that list, not the other list" took a bit to sink in despite so much else being clear once read up on.

Stuff like how brawl bugs is suggested to be put late in the order, but knowing properly what that means instead of just shrugging and shuffling both lists hoping it works out in the eventuality I start using more complicated mods :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I'm trying to figure out why at 100 Enchanting, my results range from "As good as the best possible generic drops (Such as 40% two-handed, when the highest I've looted is 30%)", to "ALMOST" as good", "About half as good as generic drops". To "What the loving christ, 15% discount/10% regen

That last one at least I saw some mention of that effect being buggy, amidst a million useless results of "Did you try, having 100 Enchanting/Using a grand soul?" trying to google up some enchanting being fine while other enchanting was poo poo. Though I'd have hoped USLEEP would have handled such a jarring discrepancy, and leaves me still wondering about the other off kilter results.

To be fair, I did decide to see if enchanting would finally be worth it via console commands to quickly ramp up the experience. Was being highly discouraged seeing poo poo elemental resist results even at legit gained 50s enchanting despite reasonable weapon attack enchants I was happy to use. So I wanted to see if it would be worth the several tons of enchanted daggers to go from 50's to top. Alas, Element resists fall under "100 enchanting gets me less than half of 70" for whatever's going on.

My Mods that have any (known) effect on enchanting would be-
USLEEP
SPERG
Skyrim weapon and armor fixes remade
Passive weapon enchantment recharging.

To a lesser degree, armored circlets by quickfire because crafted circlets can be enchanted.

I suppose one workaround would be just shrugging consoleing in generic items to use, if I don't see them in any shops. Oh no, I'll have to suck it up and wear either Daedric or Dragon boots I'm capable of crafting anyways if I want the very best, instead of sticking with ebony and circlets because I like their looks better :geno:

At least this particular character is a Heavy two-hander who has been slinging spells on the side for variety. So not being able to craft up my own special snowflake equipment (Barkeep wizard!) isn't as annoying as if I were trying for sneaky or straight casting, if I can't work out what the deal with this is.

Really the biggest ballbuster for this character personally (Not using a shield), was no naturally occurring rings of element resist meaning all my looted/purchased stuff covers only two out of three elements at once via boots+Neck, when I was having all three of them thrown in my face at the same time :supaburn:

"Okay I've got my frost resistant ebony boots, and my fire resistant necklace on, I should be okay-" *backs up into lightning ward for 1/3 my health* "Hold on, I need to put on every single 'sure-grip' item I've ever looted/purchased and shove this chunk of dragon bone into your colon."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 6, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Have you also picked up the entire Enchanting perk tree? SPERG perks are a big deal above and beyond simple skillpoint allocation. So if you just consoled yourself to 100 enchant without also taking the entire tree, that may be part of it. You'll certainly want the top tier perk Extra Effect, because two enchantments per item gets stupid powerful; that's on top of a lot of enchantment power boosts on the way.

also bear in mind the way SPERG works there are some cross-tree buffs. For example, some of the Smithing and Alchemy perks may be relevant.

there's always the good old "enchant a bunch of +%enchant gear, equip, repeat" trick! Hope you like potionmaking and/or own Dragonborn, as it has some powerful enchantment gear.

Actually this is also a really good idea thing to have listed somewhere. You can always disable bits and pieces of any ENB - or disable huge chunks of it like this - as you please. I suggest NLA for a few reasons, but even I'd disable the DOF effect straightaway. Customizing your ENB isn't just possible, it's basically required. Modding is the game, right? :v:

I think TES General has a pretty good ENB comparison page, if anyone feels the urge to really get into it. In my opinion, it's a good jumping-off point, way better for ENB comparisons than trying to open 75 tabs on Nexus.

When I have more time for more preview experiments later, I'll see what throwing down a bunch more perks does.

Though it was quite the discrepancy anyways. Some stuff like fortify skill I'd hit the apparent caps just fine with "Let's see what 100 enchanting will get me". 40% two-handed, 25% smithing, etc. 25% Spell school reduction working fine.

Then I'd get some things that were "Almost" as good. +62 health/etc instead of +70. +25 Elemental damage instead of 30 (Smithing meant Fire was slightly better, but yeah).

If SPERG was tuned around "You can't make your own Discount+regen worth a drat unless it's A: bathrobes, B: perked up", or Element resists NEEDING those perks that buffed armor element stuff, or jewlery in general, that would answer some questions. Along with all the stuff I was able to craft As good/almost as good as randos without going after perks.

Considering the massive gap between "15% discount and 10% regen" Vs "22% discount and 150% regen" I just bought off the shelf from a shopkeeper though, I won't be surprised if that particular category doesn't quite line up.

I am hoping it is as simple as "Just put in the perks" though, it would definitely appeal to trying other characters later more focused on perking up the magic, rather than getting all but one Smithing Perks, after realizing my Steel was stronger than Dwarven/Elvish early on.

Edit: Also I heard they patched out the "Fortify enchant, fortify alchemy" loop by capping the results. Which lines up with a quick check on that before this.

I was trying for "As good as what can happen normally, but on the items I want" more than "Hey let's make some robes of 720% magical thermonuclear war", anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 6, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Let me know what your perk trees look like, but I never got deep into enchanting without an endgame character who had several other maxed out trees, so I don't know for sure how essential those perks are, just that I never had problems getting ludicrously powerful gear with them all.

and hopefully, someone else who actually knows SPERG will say something, heh

So I tested out grabbing the pile of enchantment related perks, as well as the ones for that in alchemy.

It did improve things, but hardly by anything worth mentioning :v:

Most stuff I already had capped, is capped. Things like shock damage have bumped up to 31 (compared to generics max of 30). Stuff that was underwhelming is still underwhelming.

Elemental resists are now topping out at 48% for armors, 58% for clothing and diamond jewelry (Which while closer, still has quite a ways to go until 70% like generics can have). Trying to craft my own combo robes is now 19% discont/10% (Ten) regen. etc.

So all the perks for a bonus provided just that, a bonus. Not a make or break difference. Stuff that was good without the perks (Such as 40% combat skill fortify still being 40%, Fortify Healt/mana/stamina goes from slightly under, to slightly over if it's clothing/fancy jewlery).

Stuff that sucked without the perks, sucks with the perks. Again, on a scale of "Does not come even near naturally occurring leveled magic items". Still can't even craft element resists as good as 3rd best, or even 2nd best. Distant 4th if armor with "elemental effects are stronger on armor!" perks.

EDIT: I could only imagine how I'd feel if I had been spoiled by insane fortify loops back in the day, instead of just kind of annoyed half the stuff I want doesn't even come close to store brand (despite the other half being "Yeah sure, let's just casually bust out +40% combat skill and 25% other skills to pretend I'm a pro one handed rogue expert.")

Lt. Lizard posted:

This is a thing that was in Skyrim since release.

I remember that in my first play-though on completely unmodded vanilla Skyrim, my Archmage with 100 Enchantment and all the perks from that tree, STILL couldn't make an item whose "magicka regen & random magic school" enchantment could come even close to that of apprentice alternation robe. I think its there so that mage robes wont get completely obsolete, because outside of their enchantment they are completely useless compared to armor.

Yeah I saw that mentioned in passing for how that in particular was hosed in vanilla. Though I was hoping the unnoficial patch would have dealt with that sort of thing.

Even if it only worked for clothing, that would have been something for fashion. So you were not wearing the same generic robes any randomly generated bandit could have.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 6, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Considering all ancient yet first results google checks talking about the wonders of Bullshit unlimited magical power, invulnerability, and feedback loops back in the day?

At this point I am wondering if the fact the only custom enchantments that are cut rate are Regens, Resists, and Combo Discount+Regen, are "Working as intended". Whether Vanilla, or USLEEP deciding to uphold Bethseda's 'Vision'. Because everything else works great even without perks, if you hit 100 Enchanting with my setup.

Also, all this poking around at things reminds me just how much I like SPERG, even if I've only really done one character (with several false starts).

Poking around is revealing things like "Oh cool, that Fortifier perk in Alchemy can make basic Leather armor about good as Glass" (And even if it only works on Chest clothing, 50+ on a robe or barkeep shirt is still way more armor than zero).

Which reminded me of how satisfying taking side perks to make my crafted Steel stuff worthwhile compared to Dwarven loot. Which also encouraged me to not rush 100 smithing like a robot and just naturally swing by to melt down my hoarder pile every so often once the drops and shops started selling the next big thing. Or I stumbled across an Ebony Mine. Or I realized "Wait, this latest Daedra heart means I have 4 total!". Because I didn't need to rush 100 skill while overdosing on performance enhancers to get nice stuff, I got to take my time.

I'm branching out into stuff I would have entirely ignored forever, just for the cool toys. I screwed around with pickpocketing for a while to get that sweet +100 Carry/+50 stamina. I started casting spells on the side just to hit Apprentice for the Discounts, and now I'm saying "gently caress it, I'm taking Pro warrior to wizard school" and comforting myself with how loving metal my Ebony gauntlet's look shooting fire, while awkwardly running in circles around a pair of frost trolls firing baby's first firebolts.

Having cool options even just from amateur branching out, instead of getting gently caress all without full dedication, has really taken me out of my usual very specific ruts.

SPERG is good and the author should feel good. (PS: Thank christ for the walking = armor raise option. Once I got over the early hump of poo poo weapons and poo poo stamina, bandits stopped getting much chance to hit back).

EDIT: Four 25% School cost discount items still = free casting, things are looking up for future Nerd wizard characters.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 7, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

Seems interesting but this does not seem particularly well thought out:

Like, I'm pretty sure most of these things would give chase but then give up after a while. A bear doesn't need to follow you into a goddamn city just because you woke it up. Retreat should be a viable option.

eta: Wait a sec. Here's the mod's FAQ on surviving early levels...

But... but... :psyduck:

I'll be honest. That sounds about right for a stereotypical "Hardcore gamer" mentality. The don't see any break in the logic, they want the "risk", but will also be sure to tell people how easy it is if you're :airquote: smart. I do adore the "You'll see why even Bethseda thought this was a bad idea" part, though.

There are some interesting Cheats buried in there, along with all the ballbusting though. Like how you know EVERY enchantment by default, even if they seem to gate applying said enchants by skill level. Or how they say "You start with NO skills, and the first skill up takes ten times longer!" But allow training dummies to let you beat the poo poo out of them for weapon skills or Destruction up to 15, rendering that downside essentially meaningless for attack skills once you reach civilization.

It's always fascinating to me to see the twisty logics people have for what they personally consider "Fair and balanced". You'll see a ton of bullshit handicaps, and then something that's broken as gently caress even to your mindset just casually thrown in there because it fits their preferences.

Off in turbo nerd land, I've had people straight faced tell me that using minimum cost "Rulebook examples this as how to build a sound system" sound powers, were munchkin cheating without being trained in ventriloquism.

Then they would turn around and suggest I used this minimum possible cost power, as a 5 kilometer intimidation attack. On my guy with supernatural spookiness that would make Batman poo poo his pants. But no, trying to be the funny sounds guy from Police academy with my supowerpowers? THAT's cheating! :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 11, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can understand people wanting to challenge themselves beyond the usual means of a game, at least. No slight to Midig for being enthusiastic that a Mod is covering for most of what he wanted out of other mods.

The worst is when the more unfortunate "Faux Hardcore" mentality starts to bleed into a games real development.

Like Subnautica. A game with barely any crafting or building to speak of, getting obtuse crafting timers added to everything due to the "QoL when you're a spaceman scuba guy with a pocket molecular constructor is just too casual" hugbox on the official forums saying how great an idea it was.

Then crying conspiracy when piles of people saw this as the point of "That's it, I'm actually making a forums account to say this is bullshit" amidst a sea of people comparing people who didn't like it to the mentally and physically handicapped.

These are the kind of people who want real life length, real time sitting around decompression chambers "because immersion" in a game where the latest update is a nano-constructed Exosuit you will need to be able to go deep enough to find the alien precursor bases and deal with the to be implemented psychic fish monsters capable of opening warp gates with their mind.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also people tend to confuse "challenge" and "tedium".

I swear, selectively cherry picked "Because realism" in gaming is fast becoming my biggest :argh: Usually it's only when it causes problems, too. If you bring up Realistic or lore friendly options that would improve QoL, Players and Devs previously citing Realism/Lore as the basis of their design preferences will not care about either anymore.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 12, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Are there any of these combat overhaul mods (Wildcat does look simple enough for me to want to try someday), that deal with the whole "After a point. being hit by magic sucks huge balls compared to being hit by any amount of weaponry" thing?

Hitting some "High risk, high reward" sweetspot on armed combat only for something that would immediately halve your 300+ health in Vanilla unmodded to roll on in and point itself at you (Even if you brought that 50% element resist ring you found, etc), how is that dealt with, basically?

Every time I consider "You know, now that I'm a reasonable quality armor clad Battle axe murder train instead of desperately looking for my first set of Dwarven/Elven quality gear, most combat enemies are easy" is when I get reminded "Oh right, I'm playing something with 50%-60% element resists from scrounged equipment, instead of a Breton with The Lord stone and awakening. OUCH." Or simply playing light armor and one handed style which I'm nowhere near as good at even if I bring a shield :v: (The best defense is the other guy being DEAD, and all that).

The big Irony is that I've started messing around with a Light/One hander Breton of late instead of Hulk Orc Goes To Wizard School In Ebony, so even though I'm actually enchanting my Nordic weaponry earlier on for a leg up this time around, I'm almost dying way more often in Vanilla+SPERG. "It's okay, it's okay. Just remember the 75% magic resist the next time you walk over a rune like a loving moron or have an Ice ghost kiting you" *Mauled by second snow sabercat right as summon expires*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 12, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The secret to making combat in these games fun isn't necessarily to make combat significantly harder, but instead to bump up the number of spawns with something like ASIS. It's so much more fun to take out 10 semi weak guys than 1 huge damage sponge. The same thing applies to the Fallout games too. If you're skeptical, I urge you to try it at least once and then I think you'll see what I mean.

Hmmm, MORE enemies would also deal with "I'm trying not to hit my companion/summon in the back of the head" by making more enemies to hit instead of the ones they are fighting.

So I'll definitely keep this in mind, but I figure I'll wait for more fancy custom installation (and uninstall if needed) type mods until I for realizes finally get around to beating the main quest for once... Just as soon as I beat the Civil war... Just as soon as I clear the Dark Brotherhood.

Though, as ASIS advertises giving enemies access to the same perks you have, it should be interesting to see just where SPERG lands me for "I'm OP" vs "I'm hosed" that lands on the enemy spells front, if I don't go whole hog 75% magic resist Breton ASAP.

Because usually my biggest cause of pain in Vanilla/SPERG are enemy spells, Runes. summons, and spell effect spamming monsters that are not Dragons (Hi, Spriggans and Undead mask wearing viking wizards), etc. "Well things are going well *trips over a rune around corner* oh make that I'm down to barely alive out of 350-and now I'm dealing with a hover kiting spell spam zombie wizard WELP"

How customizable is it for what perks NPCS can/can't use? I'd really rather they don't get Uber Runes or x4 strength Mage armor while I'm still fumbling about with a mix of steel and iron. For all the lament about Vanilla player spell damage, particular TTK vs a whole room when you are still pre-infinite mana god gear... NPCs seem to hurt you juuuuuust fine with Vanilla magic if they are not bottom teir fodder, and there is a whole room full of them focusing you down and laughing at your store bought boots of 50% frost resist.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 13, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Midig posted:

I can definetly relate. I remember seeing a mod that added 3d sleeping animation so you could watch your character tuck himself into bed. Why the gently caress would anyone ever want to mod something you want to over as fast as possible? That is the prime difference between such a mod and Enchanced Camera as an example. An immersion mod should make you immersed frequently and without MCM menus, long rear end animations etc.
Yeah, you getting enjoyment out of a mod is much, MUCH more reasonable than the more extreme mindsets being mentioned. Not like you are telling people they are playing the game "wrong" for not using it either.

To bring up Subnautica again, they added functionality to Beds. You stare up at the ceiling in real time... that's it (okay so it also eases up your food/hunger bars like sitting in a chair). People asking "Uh, where's the time skip?" get chided for being impatient casuals/scared of the night like babies off in the official forums :v:

Of course, as a "Survival" style game, even if on the light side, it's the kind of general community that will talk poo poo to people for assuming there would be/wondering when they will get around to adding an Auto-save in a modern videogame. I'm pretty sure even the most "Hardcore" Skyrim player would still figure auto-saves are a reasonable expectation.

Or, you know, not expect trying to smith a second object destroying the first one, if you didn't back out of the crafting UI and specifically click on it to pick it up every single time (Yeah that was a thing for a while in the beta build, also defended as "immersive").

EDIT: I can actually understand the desire for bed animations, and (theoretically) this in of themselves would not remind you that you are playing a videogame unless it added extra obtuse steps to the "sleep X hours" UI. You generally only sleep in beds for the exp boost or plot triggers in vanilla anyways.

If sleeping was modded to be a requirement of not dying, I could see it beginning to wear out it's welcome if that wasn't your thing much sooner.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 15, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nuramor posted:

Giving enemies SPERG perks becomes very deadly very fast, because they get ALL the perks their respective skill levels allow them. A necromancer master has, I believe, at least level 75 or 100 in most magic skills. Have you SEEN the kind of stuff SPERG can get you at that level?

I kinda assumed it would be crazy for enemies to get it, yeah. When it comes to magical offence, though usually I prefer spells on the side over straight destruction. I'm so glad SPERG buffs up Flame Atranoch decently. It can actually fit through doors :v: and watching a fight suddenly end with my enemy being launched 50 feet by a fire bolt is always funny. SPERG Bound weapons are a case of my adoring the first perk, then letting them get shelved later once real weapons catch up (not helped by the fact the last perk doesn't seem to actually cause any elemental effects, when I do take it).

But even without extra enemies, it's not hard to see NPCs going hog wild with even basic passives, as enemy magic spam from people or Monsers has always been the flipping a switch from surviving readily or with only dropping to half health before backing off to heal, to massive pain in the dick.

If every chump mage got so much as frost aura, that'd only further frustrate my seeing "I have 60 destruction and Frost aura, and I still basically only tickle them with frostbite compared to how much they hurt me with frostbite through my 50% frost resist boots :argh:" I guess it is no surprise that like in most cases, trying to balance physical and magic to the same points is pretty hard even if you wanted to try.

I'm nearing the end of the Darkbrotherhood plot, I'm telling myself I'll totally finish the main quest for once just as soon as I do the Civil war (It would feel awkward killing the Emperor AFTER I sword to serve him :v:). At that point I may start over YET AGAIN, but try out Apocalypse magic to finally try my hand at a no armor destruction primary. (And then finally do the DLC as a werewolf wizard, or something).

Apoc seems straightforward, and lists a SPERG patch on the nexus page. My biggest hangup for trying out destruction primary hasn't been how strong I am without 100 Enchanting gear (even if shrugging and just pulling out a sword is common). But rather, variety. Particularly on the pre expert end and "So you haven't covered yourself in enough top tier magical bling to essentially give you infinite ammo" situation.

Blacksmith upgrading through an array of weapons may essentially be cosmetic differences. But that's still more variety, and more tangible progress (I finally got a full set of Elf/Dwarf gear! AND I can finally upgrade them to superior!), compared to dual casting the same few early tier spells constantly so you aren't living off an IV drip of mana potions before your levels and equipment ramp up. Or Enchanting not feeling worth it without grinding it up to 100+double enchant... While I'm still unable to make Resists/Renegs half as good as store bought, or School+Regen robes that are not complete trash if I want to wear anything but off the shelf robes like every NPC in the world without just sucking it up and double enchanting it to be only almost as good as a single.

It would be less jarring on the "SPERG 100 enchanting+all the perks is great for everything BUT Resistances/Wizard robes" front... if having at least as good as loot element resists was always my primary concern :v: alongside "Just let me have my cosmetic preference of peerles destruction, Jesus".

I don't feel like I need to enchant my armor or weapons to kick rear end on the physical combat and skill checks front (Though brotherhood hand gear certainly helps for sneaky murder). I only ever feel like I NEED enchantments to make being hit by magic not suck as anything but a Breton, or to make casting not suck... So of course, those are the types of enchanting that custom stuff doesn't work great for my current mods setup, even though I can make an absorb health effect stronger than anything that naturally occurs in game, hah.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Herrvillain posted:

Well, with SPERG installed, Breton + Awakened Racials Perk + Agent of Mara + Resist Magic Perk (Alteration level 70) gets you past the 85% Magic Resistance cap from vanilla. For everybody else, Agent of Mara + Resist Magic gets you 45%, after a fair bit of leveling, and if you're willing to do Heavy Armor you can take Spectral Warding out of the Illusion tree at a fairly low level. That maxes at 40% resistance when you have armor near the vanilla rating cap, so you can eventually hit the cap without enchantments. You can always take the Lord Stone too, if you want to make up the difference. It's kind of rough at the beginning for a non-Breton, yeah. If you're willing to go to Riften and do that boring quest, and/or you're not role-playing a lightly armored barbarian you barely need Resist Magic enchantments once you're a few hours in, though.

Yeah there's a huge difference in "What is painful" between my Heavy two-hander Orc save, and my light armor Breton Save :v:

It's amazing what even one perk = 50% magic resist will do, compared to "Well poo poo, I'm not using shields so natural loot for element resists only comes in Boots and Amulets" and then only being reasonably protected by two out of three elements at any given time.

Though physical combat is certainly more painful/takes longer for the Breton, even with a frost atranoch chumping things by making them tip over onto their backs frozen. Crit battle axe train with an unenchanted weapon runs a lot smoother than actually enchanting up my swords or spamming invisible for free x30 dagger sneaks in how fast I clear a room.

Honestly for the most part I try to be rather enchantment light/use jewelry I've naturally found or looted. Since I don't min/max Smithing from zero to 70 first thing, that means I can't upgrade enchanted armor until I stop to boost myself from 50ish to 80 once Ebony ingots start spawning in shops. The majority of my mid progress enchanting tends to be slapping muffle on my boots of choice, or slapping damage enchants onto one handed weapons I know i can readily replace.

I know there's lots of options, but a lot of those options are along the lines of "Oh, just get 70 in Illusion to unlock spectral warding. That's a thing every character does at low level right?". Magic/element resists worth a drat on the stuff you like is much more going out of your way for it, than naturally occurring, basically. Even with how much I've been spamming muffle and Invisible on My Breton, the Emperor is dead just in time for me to hit 65 Illusion. For comparisons, One handed and light armor have hit 69, and Sneak has just hit 72.(Lots and lots of sneak attacks will do that I guess).

So while I understand how technically it's true... Well, my mindset tries to consider more naturally accessible stuff for a reason. Considering "So the most you have ever used illusion on any character still isn't enough for spectral warding yet". That Agent of Mara suggestion is nice, for example. Simple quest, not banking on some special snowflake equipment, or some perk 3/4 of the way to 100 skill, etc. (I've been trying to cast stoneflesh before every fight/sneak attack because I like alteration in general, for example. It's still only 51, and I think it hit 55ish where I left off on my Orc it was basically a wasted spell on).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question, what do I do make Smart Souls not throw up a "Hey there's poo poo in your overwrite folder, you should take care of that" according to the Mod Organizer? (Or do I just not have to worry about that).

Smart souls only has a manual download on the nexus, and the instructions are to just dump the file into the folder and it will create the ini on launch. But then the Mod organizer complains "There's something in the overwrite folder, move it to the proper mod or something".

Some passing google searches generally turn up results suggesting to... Move it to the Smartsouls folder/"Move it to the mod". Which isn't a thing, because the instructions are to just dump the file into the game Installation directory's data\SKSE\plugins folder directly, therefore no mod folder :confused:

EDIT: Restarting the MO actually made the mentioned overwrite folder turn up on the mod listing (I was previously wondering what the hell to right click, for it's internal suggestions).

So hopefully, the obvious in hindsight right click to create a MO mod for it by hand works out. I'm still super early, and I need to try and get some sleep anyways. So it will be a while before I get to find out if it still starts shoving petty souls into grand gems.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 19, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thanks for the technical insights everyone. What I went with on the "Right click overwrite folder to create mod" did make the whole ogranizer\mods\smart souls\SKSE\plugins deal. Though I'll have to keep in mind for future not to just slam that button, in case it had stuff from multiple mods in it.

Went through a few quit Skyrim/MO restarts to see if there were any more MO flags (there were not), though hindsight just now had me go "Oh right. I should probably move the .dll out of the Skyrim installation's plugin folder, which caused this in the first place :downs: (I threw it in with the MO Mod folder).

A large part of why I stayed away from even basic modding for so long, is because for whatever reason even my most basic of logic functions just seems to go flying out the window.

"How I put thing in folder?... Oh right, make the folder. I AM A FAIULRE OF A HUMAN BEING!" I kinda blanked on the manual install button because I ignorantly assumed that would look for some kind of installer window like the fancier mods pop up in MO, rather than put the mod files through a simple process.

I've sorted that "This isn't in the data directory!" thing before, but I can never remember which small mod I'm using does that.

On the bright side, holy poo poo I finally beat the main plot :stare: So I finally put in Apocalypse Magic with the SPERG patch merged in (along with yet more mod creep, time to actually use horses this time!), and so far so good as a whole shitload of new spellbooks are in Whiterun with a fresh character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I'm definitely not a good source of proper info, I can at least say that while I had installed MO into program files, my SPERG works just fine for me (Though I had to fix up the uncapper settings).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Agents are GO! posted:

:sigh: Why does there always have to be some motherfucker chiming in with this?

The point is not that having stuff in Program Files will mess up your game, its that having stuff in Program Files can mess up your game, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot because of the varied and subtle problems it can cause, and that it's a bigger pain in the rear end to fix the more things you have installed.

Well, I'm near the start of a fresh game anyways. So Might as well overhaul my Mod Organizer install situation then (I have Steam installed outside of program files, at least). And also finally grab crash fixes because why the gently caress didn't I get that :downs:

While I'm ignorantly hammering away to slowly bring my mods setup incrementally closer to "Done right" instead of "Close enough", should I just grab the STEP Mod while I'm at it? Or leave it alone if I'm already this much of a fuckup with basic things like "I should have installed the mod organized inside of the Skyrim folder", making me question my ability to follow listed instructions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The reason I expect I'll stay away from the STEP Mod (while still checking that site for info in general), is because while my list of mods may be growing, it's also on my terms and low on "Please also install this other thing/learn to do anything more complicated than move files and smash plugin sort button".

While using STEP seems to be a large case of screwing around with files, other mods, etc. And while I trust the end results are likely very nice, it's also asking for losing track of what the hell I might have hosed up where.

Compared to basics on my own terms like "Oh, okay, this time I remembered to move the SKSE folder inside the SPERG mod ahead of time and now the SPERG uncapper settings work right out the gate. Not just throwing the sperg uncapper ini into as many likely looking places as possible and overwriting the uncappers default files in the process".

Which is the kind of thing for why I just did a clean slate for MO and Skyrim (Though I did save the MO's downloads folder). Honestly redownloading skyrim took longer than setting things back up, and adding in the Crash fix/Bug fix/SKSE plugin preloader while I was at it.

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: Might be worth mentioning I was going through a period of occasional depression at the time I tried the guide out, which probably didn't help any.

Being confused by file structures and blindly following "Please do A B, and C things while installing X, Y, and Z things when you have no idea what those are or do" can already be frustrating in the first place, from a "Why does my brain shut off when it comes to modding?" standpoint. Having depression concerns already at the time, probably would not do one any favors.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 20, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scyantific posted:

Took at look at SkyUI since the paid mods debacle, and wow, they actually did some work with the crafting menus.

I have some pals who never played Skyrim who were just :confused: when I was trying to describe adding an actual UI to the game Vs how little screen real estate is used normally the other night.

So I just I linked the first "Before-After" comparison image for SkyUI. They got the idea real fast, then.

I always forget how much it actually does, because of how much of SkyUI just seems to be basic video games common sense.

EDIT: Which is extra funny to me in hindsight, because usually thinking of the term "Immersive interface" means someone just deleted the HUD and called it a day :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 22, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Hmm, I'm pretty tough with 250ish health, and wizard are nerds. I should try out this finger of death spell from Apocalypse magic finally!"

*Dies*

"Huh... Maybe if I buff myself with about +200 health first thanks to this other cool spell, surely this wizard won't have over 400-"

*Dies*

Not gonna lie, Apoc's "Auto cast three self cast spells for free on combat" spell all on it's own was worth the price of admission even for a guy I'm trying to deliberately stick with Restoration and Alteration for. (Oh cool it still triggers while I'm a Werewolf). Along with other cool spells even in those schools alone added by the mod I forgetting to use half the time.

But drat if Finger Of Death doesn't remind me how in nearly every game ever, named wizards are only fragile when it's the player, while all NPC named wizards could snap Conan the barbarian over their knee.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dorkopotamis posted:

Could someone give me a list of around ten mods that will make this a modern game for me, the modern man?
While a lot is to taste, or bugfixes, I'd say the absolutely most important thing mentioned in the OP to get is SkyUI.

It adds an actual User Interface to Skyrim, a really nice one at that (And controller compatible apparently, so none of that "How do I make my mod light consoles on fire :spergin:" mindset). So even ignoring the fact it's a requirement for a ton of mods, that's a pretty big one step to modern gaming.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/

That first Before/After screenshot they have is how I managed to get across how big a change it was, to some pals who never played skyrim and just kind of go :confused: when I try to explain the concept of "adds a user interface".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've been using Skyrim Unbound myself, primarily because it seemed like a simpler more straightforward deal (Though I've always ended up just toggling Dragon appearances from "Delayed" to "Enabled" after realizing I still haven't seen any).

I'm sure Live Another Life is great, I just wanted an Alt start that just did it's job of a quick start. Unbound's toggle option for "Fine, you don't need souls for shouts" was also a nice toy to get me actually using all the shots I ignore forever otherwise even when I've got 60 souls.

I may try Live Another Life later, for some of it's shortcut options like "You already own a fully tricked out house in a city/Hearhfire home" or immediate Guild access. Not so much the "You are a Necromancer in Blackreach, we've put a Dwemer Sphere right outside your house waiting to kill you. Because... uh... It's just there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My favorite part of that modding mindset quote was how transparent the wording was.

"Hey guys, I think the unwashed illiterate masses don't deserve the first method. PS, any dislike of the cool kids mindset is just the former being salty"

I'm sure the Nexus mods eats it up, but constantly referring to your user base as :airquote: "Unworthy Public" would be something you'd figure should be a dead giveaway that, just maybe, you aren't as impartial as you are trying to come off as :v:

Honestly, the way some of these mod drama stories and quotes go I'm amazed any of them expect players to know how to download and use their mods in the first place, unless they are pirates.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 11, 2016