Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

This might be a silly question, but I noticed I have a few achievements I still haven't completed. So I'm installing Skyrim LE again to knock them out. If I apply mods to the game, can I still get the achievements, or do I have to play sans mods to get them? *shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I've just dug Skyrim out of the box again, and I'm using Mod Organiser for the first time. I'm trying to get DynDOLOD to work with SFO, but its just not playing ball

Here's my current MO order

I've watched the GamerPoets youtube vid so much I've come to hate the poor presenters voice, but even when I strip it back to just Indistinguishable Vanilla Tree Billboards, it still doesnt look right.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

horse mans posted:

I think I want to boot up Skyrim again soon. I've typically done a hardcore Requiem+Hunterborn+Frostfall setup, but that's usually very slow going, and I'd rather get to actually experience some of the game's content. Trouble is, from my first vanilla playthrough, I seem to remember Skyrim being filled of nothing but dungeons of Draugr. Are there any mods that add some variety to dungeons and their encounters?

Not so much dungeons as new quest environments, but I hear very good things about the Vigilant quest expansion. I believe the developer is working on another quest, Glenmoril which is similarly Draugr distinct

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a beginners guide to modding NPCs? I was thinking I'd start small, and just change Aela's hair and then maybe her facial tattoo or armour, etc as a way of learning how such things work

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a good way to remove a mod once you've started playing? I've realised Immersive Armors is not working for me, so I've turned it off via MCM, but Im thinking to try and remove it altogether

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I figured they meant they didn't like it which hey whatever you can have bad taste it's your game :shrug:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't like it - but it looks like turning it off via MCM is my best option for now. I can always turn individual pieces back on, if need be

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Has anyone tried Here There Be Monsters?

Just wondering if its worth a spin

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Do we have any firm details on when Creation Kit SE is moving to Steam?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I have often wondered what exactly it is about Skyrim that makes people so drat ... horny. Probably best not to know

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there an ENB that maintains vanilla level gamma levels at night and indoors? I find almost every ENB looks wonderful in the daytime, but as soon as its night or Im in a dungeon, my screen is basically pitch black. It's probably old age destroying my eye-sight, but it'd be neat to play with an ENB

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Modders out here doing literal sorcery with the game engine, but make a few new hair meshes? Awww helll nawww

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Jesus, Skyrim mods completely dwarf every other game. JK’s compilation came out a few months ago, and already has a million downloads.

E:woops, first upload was 2018. Still big numbers, but a little less insane.

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst plan to spend the next 2-3 years learning how to mod, and then starting a Patreon when Starfield is launched

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any recommended first person combat mods for AE? I'm desperately trying to avoid falling into the usual trap of stealth archery, and I'd like to go a bit more Spellsword sellsword, so to speak

What's the general opinion on the Mysticism mod, and Immersive College of Winterhold?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If they ever release a mod that makes Oblivion facegen not look so... uh... derpy, then I may be tempted to go back and check it out

But yes, magery in Skyrim is a bit painful. Hmm, theres probably a mod for that...

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any good guides or starting tutorials for modifying armor? I want to add some underclothes - sleeves, pants and such - to leather armor. Maybe a belt with a waterskin and potions, etc. So I want to try and nick from existing armor meshes, just not sure where to start.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Stabby McDamage posted:

Hey, sorry for the longpost...the OP is listed as out of date.

Today I decided to try to come back to Skyrim since not touching it since 2013. I figured I'd slap in some top mods and off I'd go. But the mods I installed with Vortex complain about missing DLCs I don't have and Steam doesn't even list as for sale any more. I'm confused about what I'd even try to get to fix it: There's a special edition and an anniversary edition (the latter of which has an upgrade option, but its downvoted on steam for some reason).

As someone who hasn't touched a skyrim in almost a decade, can someone decode what I should do to successfully gently caress around nowadays? Do I get any credit for having originally bought the actual game? I'd hope so...

Its likely that you have Skyrim Legendary Edition (referred to commonly as LE) and not Skyrim Special Edition (SE) or Skyrim Anniversary Edition (AE)

If you go to Skyrim in your Steam Library, and go to the Store Page - if it just says "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" then you have the Legendary Edition.

Skyrim Legendary Edition was delisted when Special Edition was released. If that's the version you own, and you don't have the DLC then you would need to upgrade to Special Edition or Anniversary Edition. Anniversary Edition is identical to Special Edition except it includes a bunch of Creation Club content, assets Bethesda took from another game (Blades) and charged people for.

Modding is the real game though, whichever version you have. You expect us to play the game? Fffft.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Past Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!
Current Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!
Future Moreau: Which ignoramus put this mod list together? Ugh, this is terrible. Let me build this from the ground up. Ah, that's better. Now its time for bed and tomorrow I will play!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Speaking of bad mods, I tried The Legend of Slender Man by Mihail over the weekend, and unfortunately - despite Mihails usual high-level of graphical quality - it's overall a buggy mess, with notably dire text full of pseudo-philosophical claptrap. A pity, because the idea of something dire and horrific happening in the forests of Falkreath strikes a real chord with me.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The barking... the non stop endless barking... I hear it still!

I keep meaning to look for good dog replaces that will fix that

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'm noodling around in Outfit Studio, figuring out how to split armor meshes into various component parts so I can build some silly mashups and I come across this on the Leather Armor

Any idea what is going on there, and how I can avoid it? I want to set those shoulder pauldrons as separate vertices.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I thought the male leather armour might work like the female leather armour - which has separate shoulderpads meshes baked into the NIF model, so you can easily turn them on and off. It turns out that with the male armour, the developers didnt bother meshing the armour under the shoulderpads, and as such, the textures dont exist. It's all baked into one unit, so even if you could separate the shoulderpads, you'd have to create new a new mesh to properly show the underlying armour, and generate all new textures just to get something similar to the female model

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a way to list or see all dialogue/voice lines a particular follower has? I realised that I've only ever really played with Lydia, Lucien, Inigo and Serana. I was thinking to grab a new follower and swap them out when I've heard everything they have to say

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

IIRC, the dialog is separated by voice type, not specific follower, so you could maybe check a modder's resource that lists that out. Ant it would depend on if you use something like RDO or not, since those fill out some voice types and lines.

That jibes with what I'm finding, aye. So there isn't a set of voice lines for Faendral, as an example. Rather there are a series of lines for the MaleEvenToned voice type that actors in the Hireling/Follower factions use. It looks like a normal follower in base Skyrim would have access to around 100 lines, which makes the several thousand for companions like Inigo even more impressive.

I'll dig a little deeper this weekend to see if I can figure out how dialogue lines are assigned to factions, quests and AI packages, if only to satiate my own curiosity.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I installed AVO because I just wanted a basic rear end visual upgrade

Unfortunately the ENB isn't great that comes with it, everything is very bright. Brights are bright and darks are also bright.

I tried the most popular ENB and that looked better, but darks were TOO dark, to the point a torch in the nearby Whiterun prison I couldn't see five feet in front of my face.

Anyone got a better ENB suggestion?

I think the big three that people recommend these days are Silent Horizon, Pi-CHO (an extension of Silent Horizon) and the mainstay, Rudy. I run with Rudy for most of the time, but occasionally swap to one of the others.

To give you some rough ideas of Rudy with ELFX + Exteriors and Cathedral Weathers:

This was taken at 6AM on a foggy morning outside Windhelm:

10PM on a clear night in the Reach

4PM on a clear day in the Reach

4PM in the swamps outside Morthal on a very rainy day

1PM on a snowy day outside Windhelm

On overcast or rainy nights it can get very dark, almost pitch black and I will need a torch - but for the most part its fine. Interiors are possibly a smidge too bright and I'm considering grabbing ELFX Interiors to darken it slightly.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If you have SE, the AE dlc is just a bunch of rather poor dlc. I can't really say I'd recommend it at any price

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What would be some good armors for spellswords/battlemages? Im running around with heavily enchanted leather, which is fine - just thinking to upgrade to something that look a bit more appropriate

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Generally, whenever I think of something I want to add to my game, there's a mod for that. But there's no guard against the feeling of disappointment when the Nexus yields no results for "smokeable cigars" or "ugly christmas sweater".

There is a distinct lack of these sorts of little roleplay things. I'd love to see some decent eyepatches or fur mantles.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any good guides to creating custom skins and other such weirdness? I've been enjoying fiddling around with Skyrim modding, creating my own followers and such, but I'd like to see if I could improve my skills/range/pick up some fun new skills...

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The mods that change the Reach trees invariably ignore the moss. I don't get it.... you changed the Reach tree mesh, did you not play the game and see all the floating moss? I had this problem with Nature of the Wild Lands, which is gorgeous, but floating moss all over the Reach. Dang it

I'm fooling around with modding, and I was wondering if there was any basic guides to creating new scars? Bound to be a whole bunch of things you could learn, creating and implementing a new scar

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Scars should be easy enough for an early mod. I don't know about adding them to the base character editing options, but it's easy to do with mods. Check out Racemenu if you're unfamiliar with it. Outside of adding more sliders and stuff for character customization, it also supports graphical overlays - tattoos, scars, etc.

Creating a new mod with your custom overlays is a pretty simple process as well - it just takes a simple esp file, with a small amount of scripting and image work. Here's a guide I messed around with that walked through the process: http://winkingskeever.com/how-to-create-new-body-paints-and-overlays-for-racemenu-part-1/

Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to playing around with this, this weekend. One of the frustrating things about attempting to mod Skyrim is the lack of decent, easily located documentation. Or maybe I just haven't found the super-obvious central website/discord that hosts all the Skyrim modders and guides. Well, I have fun playing around with things anyway, so Ill slowly and surely figure it out.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I realized I never played any of the quest mods in years past, so I'm loading up Skyrim once again. I've grabbed Vigilant, Forgotten City and Sirenroot for starters. What other quest mods are worth a look?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a decent guide to installing Creation Kit in the modern era? And using that to create a simple mod to modify an NPCs appearance?

Thought I might play around and create a few simple mods, maybe a quest or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

There's a wood elf who's name I can't remember at the moment, decent amount of dialogue, maybe has a romance but you don't have to do it.

That could be Auri, from Song of the Green. Traditional Bosmer in the Falkreath woods. She actually banter with Inigo, if you have them both in your party at the same time

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11278/

Lucien is another follower that has banter with Inigo (and Auri). He works particularly well with Inigo, and their banter, singing and jokes are a lot of fun

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20035