Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After reading the OP, I guess I'm running Legendary edition even though I'm on Windows 10. What sort of stuff do I need to worry about with the 4GB RAM limit (and only that, my computer can definitely crush Skyrim in general)? This is the first time I've played Skyrim in awhile so I was going to throw in a bunch of stuff like SPERG and maybe other magic mods, an ENB profile, Frostfall, and maybe just more stuff in general for diversity. Especially more enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After eight hours of installing mods and tinkering I finally launched the game and it worked first try. What.

Only thing that was upset was ENB and I haven't really set that up yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of Frostfall, I picked the default start from Live Another Life then proceeded to die of frostbite before the wagon ride to Helgen finished. :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So after 10+ hours of modding I played for an hour, came out, and now I'm thinking I might remove a bunch of cool things mods I added that I'm not actually going to use. Or maybe not. 197 mods is a lot…

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You're right. I ran into a similar issue though, because I started and configured all my mods in the starting cell for Live Another Life, so I could make a starting save that's ready to go for any other mod additions. If you do that and start the default start, you'll start freezing on the cart.

Yeah, that was my exact situation.

On a related note:

I'm stumbling through Bleak Falls Barrow with a deadly disease. I'm seeing everything double, the disease means I have no magicka or stamina, and there's double the usual monsters with some upgraded ones. Incredible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Does it create encounters with dozens of actors? I liked ASIS because I liked getting ambushed by 20 bandits. :black101:

Do the default ASIS settings do that or does it need more?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

The default will not, use the improved ASIS INIs I created that are available on the nexus.

Right. I have those, do I just load those instead of running the ASIS Skyproc patcher?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Copy the improved ASIS INIs over the ones that come with the patcher, then run the patcher.

It probably said that on the Nexus page didn't it :v:

I just ended installing the SE and now I'm playing that instead. Still with like 100 mods though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MrMojok posted:

I was kind of thinking I was the only one that did that. I'm actually embarrassed to admit that probably 40% of my time in the game is looting and selling poo poo. I don't seem to be able to stop it.

The weight limit is the #1 worst thing in the game. It's too effective as a gameplay mechanic :mad:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know if or how much it'll gently caress up the game if I use the racemenu to change my character's name? I accidentally named her the same as a main plot character.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dongattack posted:

I've done that multiple times and it's never been a issue.

You may see your old name sometimes around the world because either by wandering in somewhere or starting quests you triggered stuff like notes that reference you by name to be spawned and they do not update.

Okay so I did this. It seems to break something on SE: saves are organized by character name, so you can't see your old saves. Also, auto saves go under your old name. Turning off then reactivating the auto save types seemed to fix them though.

In contrast, letters in my inventory that mentioned me updated to the new name.

None of this was a real problem for me, just worth noting for others doing it on SE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Owl posted:

I'm rather curious what character you inadvertently named yourself after if you don't mind sharing. You should kill them and take their place.

Okay so I couldn't think of a name. I'm playing a Breton woman, so I ended up on UESP's canonical Breton names page. I chose Delphine, because I've always liked it and it was apparently in Skyrim already so I knew it was appropriate. I ended up using the ever popular shipwreck and freezing by Winterhold LAL start. When I made my way down to Helgen to start the main quest, I ran into Delphine at the inn. Nice to get meeting my doppleganger out of the way early, and she's just an innkeeper. Oh no. Wait. Isn't she...? I've never finished the main quest but I have played through enough to remember that yep, she's Grandmaster of the Blades.

Can't exactly kill her and take her place. I'm pretty sure she's marked essential.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah but I kind of want to do the main quest sometime :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Goddamn the Ordinator Thief's Eye perks are broken. Free incredible loot for picking locks in people's homes with no respawn timer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

basalt posted:

Oh, I see! That does seem a little excessive.

And it also leads to a bunch of perks that increase treasure generated overall. The thing is that it completely replaces whatever's in the existing chest as a new loot spawn, so it doesn't matter if you just cleared it out. I could easily do a route between Warmaiden's and Belethor's in Whiterun, getting an ebony piece per chest (at level 24.) I'm not sure if he's doing it normally or from a mod, but Belethor is happily buying the stolen-flagged loot that I just stole from him upstairs.

It's okay though. The Genesis mod turns pretty much any dungeon fight into a clown car of 10+ enemies way above my level, so I'm really just barely keeping pace.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You are really running the VRAM on your 1050 up to the limit. Lay off some of the 4K texture packs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What good ENB/Reshade presets do people like? That’s one part of Skyrim modding I’ve always had trouble nailing down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheObserver posted:

Does SE have any general performance boost mods? I’m psyching myself up to climb the mod mountain, but I did a recent test through Helgen on vanilla and noticed a slight slowdown.

Yeah it's called the entire special edition. The entire thing runs much better and is solid as gently caress, much more so than the original ever was.

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of leveling, what I used to do in Oldrim was to get more perks with the uncapper, because perks are fun, but then also raise difficulty to a reasonable level with mods like ASIS to get a more or less balanced experience.

In the Special Edition there's Ordinator for perks, we just discussed various ways to get more perk points, but what are the good options for more / smarter enemies (as opposed to mods that just crank up health and damage)? ASIS is being ported to SSE but it's still an early preview apparently.

I'm doing this on SE, with 50% more perks Ordinator and a perks for bounties mod as well. The other side of the scale is Advanced Adversary Encounters, Diverse Dragons Collection, High Level Enemies (Scaled), Skyrim Immersive Creatures, and Splendor Dragon Variants.

It's working out pretty well, enemy spawns are increased by about 50% with lots of variety and are challenging without being bullshit. I was using a Requiem variant or something in the same vein before and that was crazy, everything was just clown cars of absurdity.

I'm at level 15 now, and my best encounter was taking on the dragon in the steam pools area west of Windhelm. Two goblin battle parties and some crazy dragon-man skeletons made themselves known too, which resulted in a giant half-day long running battle. Dragons in general have felt right, although Mirmulnir himself was complete bullshit at like level 5 (I don't think I had the right tools to take on a dragon at that point.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 6, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Splendor and Diverse Dragons are from the same author, and are basically compatible. Just read up to install.

Both are compatible with Advanced Adversary Encounters, which doesn't(?) touch dragons.

High level enemies is OK, but somewhat redundant alongside AAE, because AAE basically applies the same level scaling scheme High Level Enemies uses and applies to basically all NPCs. I believe it is compatible, since AAE doesn't(?) touch level lists itself, but rather then NPCs? Pretty sure it's supported so you can get a patch from one or the other source.

Dunno about Immersive Creatures. Probably would need a patch, but that's all of like 1 patch for a pretty extensive overhaul of NPCs and spawn. Not bad.

Advanced Adversary Encounters has a patch on the Nexus for HLE.
Skyrim Immersive Creatures has a patch for High Level Enemies.

So two from the Nexus, in addition to a Bashed patch of course. I haven't made any really custom patches. I'm not a wizard at modding so I can't really tell you if things are 100% working, but they've been fine in my experience. I have had a couple CTDs (non-reproducible), but I'm not sure from what. I am running Smilodon for more challenge in combat as well, which I forgot to mention before.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Falken posted:

yeah I'm gonna stick with Oldrim the now.

One kind of thing I'd love would be something that makes the difficulty and loot scaling like Morrowind, where it's all kind of frozen, so that if I wandered into an area I'd get my poo poo pushed in, but if I were careful and stuff I'd get some high level gear. does such a thing exist?

Morrowloot is exactly that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lurksion posted:

I like this one - Cliffside Cottage.

It does have the requisite silly amounts of storage in the basement but it's ignorable (also I think it has options to hide the extra space).

The author has some other good looking houses as well.

Yeah, I really like Cliffside Cottage. Small but with all the storage I want. You can hide stuff you don't want by interacting with pull chains in the basement and I think planters on the upper floors?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I purposefully ignore the main quest but JESUS I forgot how bad the titles get. I mean, you do get a lot of similar titles in Oblivion too, but at least they feel earned there, with much longer and relevant questlines. Skyrim always feels like "you are the player so let's heap accolades on you even though there are NPCs much more deserving of said titles". You can become Arch-mage in Skyrim without knowing a single spell, and you barely even do anything before some random guy says "OK YOU ARE ARCH-MAGE NOW. GOODBYE FOREVER".

Don't you need to know one (1) spell to be accepted into the College in the first place?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly if the Dragonborn comes up to me and goes "make me guild leader" I'd also read in an implied threat of "or get shouted apart like the High King" and do whatever they wanted really fuckin quick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

How do you loot from horseback? I did it once and can't replicate it.

Press space bar and lootable bodies and nearby people can be interacted with. Stop by a resource to harvest it. It’s a good mod but it’s really stupid that the mod author doesn’t simply tell you how to do things with a new set of controls.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/668/

Smilodon suggests this for exactly that issue.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Reason I asked about bashed patches is because I’m running morrowloot and then a few other weapon mods that don’t have comparability patches so I was going to find a way to make their levelled lists work with each other.

Just running Wrye Bash and making a Bashed Patch will get stuff on the levelled lists as far as I know. Compatibility patches generally deal with other things as far as I understand. However, I’m not sure how well that would work in your case, since the hand placed nature of Morrowloot largely displaces a lot of levelled lists I think.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

So does it make a bunch of chests with scripts attached that copy anything you put into them that you open and use normally, or will it actually JIT stuff to you as needed when you try to make something?

I use Attached Storage, which is a similar mod with larger tracking. It does actually put stuff in your inventory when you go to use crafting stations if you have it setup that way, does auto-deposit/withdrawal options and so on. And you can define your own shared container types with it too - I have a box that takes all my bones for Ordinator’s skeleton minions.

I’m not sure what this does over Attached Storage to make it worthwhile honestly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don’t use the Nexus Skyrim Overhaul. It’s trash.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Reposting this in case anyone has an answer?

'Cause Arivia's post made me wary of working any further on my NSO-based mod build in case there's an actual good reason I should throw it away. :ohdear:

It was just a mess that caused a bunch of compatibility issues and made my game really unstable. I was probably putting too much stuff on it, but I don't feel like it was worth it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dienes posted:

Isn't that kinda the exact question I'm asking? :-p

ModOrganizer 2 really wants to use my C drive despite ModOrganizer and Skyrim both being installed on a completely different drive.

If you're not familiar with Mod Organizer it does some very intensive, different things to make modding super great, like an entire virtual filesystem. If you have the space, on your main system drive (but not in Program Files) is the best option by far. You can put its downloads folder somewhere else to save space.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzz posted:

That's really weird and in the years since Skyrim first released, with the original, then SE, and now VR, I've never had any issues with sound or anything else, for that matter, when installed to a non-C drive. That's ignoring all the usual crashing and crap from mods and Bethesda not knowing how to actually code games.

Mod Organizer’s VFS is a whole other ball of wax though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Addamere posted:

same, but mine got better. it is now margaritas.

How many margs per hour did that make? What model chiller?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How's Legacy of the Dragonborn these days? Some kind of completionist collect all the poo poo playthrough feels like a great way to escape from hellworld right now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey, I just started a new play through with the phoenix flavour. Trying to finally get through the main quests and some actual storylines for once instead of just getting bogged down in endless radiant questing. When is a good time to generally finish the Skyrim Civil War in regards to the main storyline? Should I do it before or after that peace summit at the monk temple mountain place?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Downloading a bunch of mods (a lot of which are commonly small text files or other changes in kilobytes) off of a torrent client seems pretty messy - I guess you could make it work with something like a single torrent for everything on nexus in a given day and then you pick and choose which specific files you want. Honestly, the wide variety of sizes and formats involved makes the direct download system Nexus uses appropriate except for giant texture packs or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leal posted:

I recall there being one where a mod author made invincible bees that attacked you if you used their mod in a modpack.

There's infamously a mod for Doom by goon The Kins (aka Kinsie) that swarms you with invincible tiny golden skeletons if you mix it with popular Doom mod Brutal Doom. This wasn't a modpack opposition thing, more that Brutal Doom was taking over a lot of the Doom modding community at the time and Kinsie/a lot of other modders were very frustrated about people asking if their mods were compatible with Brutal Doom and complaining if it wasn't compatible. (Actually modding Doom, since its essential data structure is from 1994, is quite involved and there's a lot of compatibility problems/weird hacks that make SKSE look positively gentle.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Royal Armoury added a unique ceremonial greatsword of the High Kings in the Blue Palace, so I yeeted it while I was there for the Battle for Solitude. Who's going to come after me, Ulfric? Let's do it bitch, let's have a nord rap battle.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Morrowind just had this intangible feeling of completely open freedom, like you were placed in a fully realized world that was designed for its own sake, not for some main character in a video game to interact with, and because of that you felt like you could just go off and do literally anything you wanted and the game would support it, because for one, mechanically, the world didn't hold you back with invisible walls and gated content and owned spaces you couldn't get past until activating some script, and two, thematically, why the hell do we care what you do in your spare time anyway it's not like you're important in this world... and I don't know if any other game has replicated that feeling since, other TES games included.

I think part of it was the introduction of the "owned spaces and objects" mechanic in Oblivion, combined with the fact that you could no longer really place objects in deliberate positions, and cell reset mechanics. In Morrowind, if you liked a house, you could kill its occupant and move right in, and the game would just... let you live there and keep your stuff there for the rest of the game. If you try that in Oblivion or Skyrim, you'll just see constant red text everywhere reminding you that the game magically knows its not "your" official in-game house. And if you try to place your stuff around, physics just makes those things flop around everywhere. And after a certain amount of time, the cell will reset or whatever it does. There's no permanence, which makes the games feel like a curated theme park rather than some distant wild frontier where anything goes.

And to go even farther, this lack of defined spaces had the effect of making you the player rely more on NPC's for your understanding of the world and your place within it. The game knew this too. Navigation happened by following directions given to you by NPC's, etc. I think that with the newer games, the knowledge that wherever you are is goverened and defined by video game rules as being owned by this or that faction makes the new games less interesting, less open to possibilities. They just don't make your imagination fire off in the same way that Morrowind did. In Morrowind, a location was just a physical location, and the NPC's were what you had to rely on for grounding in the world. In the new games, the places have kind of taken over as "characters" and the people within them feel a lot more disposable and unmemorable.

Yeah, I'm really digging deep into Skyrim for the first time (instead of just spending 20 hours modding and 10 more doing radiant quests around Whiterun) and outside of Labyrinthian no place has really felt unique and challenging and exciting in that great Morrowind way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

On the topic of sex-themed interactions, going back to Skyrim after half a decade I have run into things that that honestly feel out of place, like the quest to slut-shame Helga at the Bunk House, and the way someone acts shocked when Thonar Silver-Blood's wife implies she worships at the Dibellan Temple, like she is outing herself as a whore.

Conversely the quest to save a twelve? year old girl to be the new oracle at the Temple of Dibella has some really weird implications. Like everyone’s okay with it in setting, including the girl and her family, but a twelve year old devoting her time to study and meditation on the sex goddess is…odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vokehead posted:

But then who will find the missing apprentices or... add chicken nests to Barleydark Farm?

I actually had to find the missing apprentices in my current game! The Phoenix Flavour includes a mod tying the Velekh Sain stuff to them, unfortunately it didn't include the OTHER mod giving you directions to them so it was basically a bunch of wandering around following UESP wildly, lol.

King Vidiot posted:

Or Bethesda can just release a finished game that doesn't need an unofficial patch to fix all the bugs.

...hahahahahaha!

I don't think I've ever encountered a game beyond something as basic and closed as checkers that couldn't use an unofficial patch. Here's a commonly patched issue in how the player's health is displayed in 1994's Doom, for example: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Ouch_face