Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Turn Skyrim's boring old mage hoods into something objectively better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's mainly just because skyUI is detecting that its own version of map.swf has been overwritten by another mod (your colored markers one). The same error pops up if you use a map replacer and can be safely ignored.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

cheers!

and yeah by "minimal effort" I've been modding heavily since Morrowind so I just mean "will take less than a week for once"

but if you mod for less than a week how can you tell that your game is changed at all

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Vampires are great because there are so many different variations of them in the lore but bethesda only insists on using the most bland, uninteresting interpretation of them.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

it's a loving mod for a video game why do you need professional qa experience

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The worst case of "Why is this character essential" for me was Rolff Stone-Fist, you guy who you first see in Windhelm harassing a Dunmer woman and spending every night yelling drunken insults in the Gray Quarter. Spent the effort sneaking up on him and making sure I wouldn't be seen when I stabbed him and.... essential. Why. He's not even relevant to any quests.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If I had the opportunity to play games again as if it were for the first time I would never buy games again

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Nasgate posted:

I'm 100% convinced that the weird sexmod authors are actually the most normal people that are active in the modding community.

I mean I'm sure they know their audience better

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Stay away from Vortex though, nexus's new mod manager that's still in alpha. It has an awful interface and doesn't do anything nearly as well as NMM or MO.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

docbeard posted:

I do assume that the completely hilarious bug I got where bandits I was mind-controlling with Illusion magic became so loyal that they actually wrote me into their wills was down to OBIS.

Okay this actually owns though

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

FutonForensic posted:

No ziggurats unfortunately, though this replaces the forests with jungle. Looks ugly imo.

I've used it, it's super ugly in motion imo

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Stealth is for cowards

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

KingFisher posted:

Reformatted the drive rinsed and repeat of the above, same thing CTD on new game....

If you have a Skyrim folder in Documents/My Games, try deleting that. Your .ini's might need to be reset.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Lol if Bethesda is ever gonna deviate from the garbage fire they call an "engine" though

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The community screams at anything that could make things easier for the average user so lol at the idea of this going through

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

It's hosed up that the civil war is the main plot of the game when fighting the Thalmor is a much more interesting and more pressing matter

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If it wasn't for Ulfric being a dumbass in Markarth the Empire would have been perfectly fine ignoring the ban on Talos so really everything that went wrong is his fault

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Gyshall posted:

Mod piracy has been banned for a while now

Considering it was also posting Creation Club mods (usually pinning them to the top) this isn't terribly surprising

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If you follow their discord they post in progress screenshots pretty regularly

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

:eyepop:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

https://dragonbornsfate.github.io/

By the same guy who recently made the streamlined Viva New Vegas mod list for a mostly vanilla playthrough comes a similar attempt for SSE. It stays away from large overhauls and uses the newer EnaiSiaion mods as a base for overhauling the gameplay. I like to use this as a base and then add additional mods to my taste once I finish

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The idea that Bethesda owns everything made with the CK isn't technically true, although it essentially is the case. By distributing something you've made with the Skyrim CK you're granting Bethesda the irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, etc the material in any way they choose without credit or compensation, and by distributing the material you also waive your right to come at Bethesda for doing anything with your mod.

This means that any original material that you produce is legally owned by you, and you hold that copyright. So unless Nexus has or updates their terms of use to include a "you give us the irrevocable right to host and distribute your work as we please and you cannot change that" then there is some ground to the motion that they cannot continue hosting your mods without your permission.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

GreatGreen posted:

I'm no lawyer, but these two paragraphs don't really seem related to me.

Paragraph 1: "If you distribute a mod you make, you're saying it's OK for Bethesda to do anything they want with them, without acknowledging or paying you, and you can't sue them."
Paragraph 2: "This means you have a copyright to your mod."

It does? I didn't read anything in that first paragraph that specifically details how a mod belongs to a modder, just that Bethesda can do whatever they want with mods. Those seem like entirely separate concepts to me. Are you saying the fact that Bethesda says they can do anything with a mod implies the modder has a copyright for it that Bethesda must provide stipulations against, otherwise Bethesda wouldn't need to say anything at all? That still doesn't seem water tight. If I say "hey don't fly away" to a person then I could be implying that they're a goddamn bird but that doesn't legally make them a bird. In the same way, just because Bethesda feels the need to state that they can do anything they want with a mod you make might imply that it belongs to you, but that doesn't mean it does.

To put it another way, if Bethesda allows you to vacation at a beach owned by them, and they specifically state that you are allowed to build whatever kind of sand castles you want on the beach, but that they have the right to do whatever they want with the sand castles, that certainly doesn't mean the sand castle belongs to you and that you can dig it up and take it home at the end of the day.

Another thing, and I'm not sure if this has happened, but even if modders did have copywright to their mods, all it would take is for Nexus to get mod hosting permission from Bethesda and all this is moot anyway. If Bethesda can do anything it wants with mods, and it gives Nexus the rights to host them, then the Nexus is legally in the clear no matter what modders legally do or don't have copyrighted.

My point isn't "Bethesda can do whatever with your content and therefore you have copyright over it", but moreso "You own the rights to the content despite the fact that Bethesda can do what they want with it". If I put my voice or original artwork in a Skyrim mod and publish it, I still own that, it doesn't transfer to Bethesda. Therefore, you still have some say to how your mod can be distributed and have some rights to that. Not that it matters anyways, because

Renditious posted:

From the Nexus TOS:
" By submitting content to our services, you are granting an infinite, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license for Nexus Mods to store, distribute, copy or reproduce, edit, translate, reformat, publicly display, or perform the submitted content, at our discretion."

So it looks like they did exactly that. So they don't seem to have even been obligated to allow mod deletion in the first place.

This makes it a moot point.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Open cities is just a compatibility nightmare too and I've never run it in any of my games for very long

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

oblivion has better writing and characters imo. I like jaufree and Sean bean a lot more than Delphine and esbern. There's a lot of unintentional silliness in oblivion and a lot of bad game mechanics but there's a lot to like there too

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can we just agree that both oblivion and skyrim's writing was garbage? no need to try and measure them like "ok this sandwich is covered in 45% poo poo, but this other sandwich is only 32% poo poo and one side is almost clean enough to get a bite in"

Ain't nobody thinking back fondly to the oblivion quest lines and thinking "drat, the king of worms was a great story" or "the fighters guild questline is in my top 100 rpg questlines"

I mean yeah neither game is winning awards for their writing, rightfully so, but if I'm gonna play a Bethesda RPG (which I'm gonna, because they're fun and there is no meaningful competition in that space) I'm gonna at least give some credit to the one whose storytelling I prefer.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Yeah I don't think an OP needs a few things more than helpful resources and an FAQ with questions like "Which is better for modding, Skyrim (2011), Skyrim Special Edition, or Skyrim Anniversary Edition?"

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I think it's hilarious (and a bit sad) that they have already organized and are planning a community bugfix mod to a game that hasn't even released yet. Not to say that I trust Beth's QA department, because I certainly don't, but I hope it's improved to a point that a patch like this isn't strictly necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Dimes quick start does character select, asks imperial or stormcloak, and drops you at the end of helgen dungeon with the appropriate NPC. Good if you want a vanilla start without the intro