Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Just as a bit of interest, Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil just did a 3 hour stream of what will be their first release (whenever it comes), Bruma, most remembered as 'that place in Cyrodiil that was like Skyrim'.

It looks fantastic. VAs seem good, music seems good (some of it has Oblivion motifs, which triggers the nostalgia hard), and when they were in an Ayleid ruin I literally had trouble remembering they were playing Skyrim, not Oblivion, but in a really good way.

https://www.twitch.tv/nafnaf_95/v/85109390

Frostcrag Spire is in it, but apparently is not available as a player home, so that will need to be modded to allow us to reclaim our tower through fire and blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Arthmoor got beta access, so he was able to get the USSEEP(?) patch out Day 1.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The Fade sucks because it's long. You can get in and out of the Soul Cairn in around 20 minutes if you want.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You will probably not be able to play that mod on a PS4, I imagine Bethesda will remove that mod from Bethesda.net immediately. They have a strict no-child-killing policy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is out for Oldrim.

They had some problems but they already patched it.

Special Edition version was delayed to fix some problems, possibly related, and to port it. Which is unfortunate because SSE is so much more stable and my current playthrough is on it and I can't enjoy it for at most a few days :argh:.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Bruma is equivalent to a really, REALLY high-quality Dragonborn-like DLC. The voice acting is good, the music is good, the writing is good, it's got memorable characters, the whole shebang. The one thing that sets it apart is that it's obvious the team didn't have access to Bethesda's resources in terms of audio- the music is really good but they don't have access to a full loving orchestra like Jeremy Soule does, for example. Likewise the VAs have a range like Skyrim does where some are better than others, and a few don't have access to a recording studio (the audio sounds just a touch off, which, being a mod, is not a big deal because it's a mod and it was free.)

If I had one... statement (it's not a complaint by any measure, in fact I think I'm going to settle on it being a gigantic compliment), it's that the city of Bruma is pretty much identical to Oblivion. Like, in Dragonborn, if I showed a person who was familiar with Raven Rock from Bloodmoon a picture of Raven Rock from Dragonborn, they'd probably not be able to tell. If I showed a person who knew Bruma from Oblivion a picture of Bruma in this mod they'd know immediately. If I dropped them at the loving gates of the city and said 'go to the dungeon' they'd be able to navigate there strictly by memory of Oblivion's Bruma. You enter the barracks in the castle and it looks virtually identical. As far as this is a 'problem' (and I don't consider it one, for the love of god I literally feel like this is perfect in the city) it stops outside the gates, where things are redone in style. The Jerrall Mountains don't look like Oblivion's Really Big Hills. They look like Skyrim's mountains. Things are in their general places in Oblivion (the big broad road up to the SUUUPER SECRET fortress of the Blades is gone... and Cloud Ruler is a ruin, too, for that matter (as described in Skyrim's lore)).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yes. It's there, quite visible, and will apparently be heavily involved in a storyline in the full release.

It's not (currently) a player home any more.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

That sounds genuinely impressive as hell. I wouldn't want them to make all the cities the same as Oblivion but just demonstrating they can make a recreation that good shows they really have a handle on using the mod tools, if nothing else. Combined with all the other praise I'm eager to try the mod once it gets a SSE version! (For others who may be wondering, their Nexus page says they'll be working on the Special Edition version once the current version has had some patching work done.)

That is almost certainly how I came to think that.

I've been perched in their Discord for the past week and the general word currently is that once they release patch 1.3 the SSE version will follow.

I hand converted as an experiment and had few problems so it should be a pretty quick move.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Heads up, the Bruma mod just got its 1.3 patch.

Allegedly work is now turning to making sure the SSE port is up to snuff, so that should be coming "shortly".

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Because the team member didn't tell you, Bruma is on SSE now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

There's a mod for Burma? Why would someone add an Asian country to Skyrim?

But yes, Bruma should be pretty safe to add mid-game, it only alters Skyrim's stuff a bit.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

kedo posted:

Good to know! Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of stuff it's altering?

Strictly I think it only adds some objects to the Skyrim worldspace, a border door and such, a few new NPCs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure if there is a general elder scrolls thread?

I decided to try modding Oblivion again and boy is that still a poo poo show. The horrors I thought I forgotten came coming back. I gave up around the time TES Mod Manager refused to install the darnui and giving an error that said this doesn't work probably but operation completed successfully (it didn't work)

After going down the path of bain conversions I said gently caress it. Maybe Vortex will answer my prayers.

We do, it's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697061

But it's not very active, since obviously the only TES news of late has all been ESO, which gets discussed in the ESO thread.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Just save it as an MP3 with some youtube music downloader thingie and then replace Data Files\Music\Morrowind Title.mp3 with it. Keep in mind you'll hear it in-game too, not just on the title screen.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Music

Not true, the Morrowind Title, I believe has two versions (that are identical): the one in the special folder plays on the title screen, the one in Explore plays in-game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I haven't seen too much discussion in here about SkyrimVR but it's consumed me for most of the time I've been off work and got back from vacation so I figured I'd vomit some words here.

It's cool as hell to be 'in Skyrim'. It has sold me completely on the fact that a TES game can work in VR. However, it has also sold me on the fact that VR is not quite there yet. The novelty has worn off to the point that the resolution and graphical downgrade from SSE is annoying me a bit. Granted a large part of that is I have a 4k monitor and everything just looks so crisp and smooth on it.

So far it looks like nearly every non-SKSE mod works pretty flawlessly in VR. Admittedly I don't go crazy with mods like some goons do, but Bruma so far has worked flawlessly.

The SKSE dev apparently took a gander at VR and said "this is super easy to make work" so there should be a SKVRSE soon, and hopefully then a SkyUI too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

I can deal with the graphical downgrade, with supersampling in particular the game can still look pretty great. The main beef I have is the controls, which are very video gamey and not natural feeling at all, showing controllers instead of hands and relying on button presses instead of physically manipulating objects. Though maybe that is asking a bit much from a port.

That's part of it for me too. I don't care so much about the graphical downgrade but I don't think the VR necessarily adds enough by itself to negate what you play SSE. Zero vanilla ability to see your character beyond character creation- say what you will but I really like watching my guy move from lovely Iron armor to full-pelt Daedric. Not even your hands, the only part of your body you can ever see in VR, get armor as you upgrade your gauntlets. That's the big one. Also, tons of people like playing pretty pretty dressup.

Graphics is not the end-all-be-all of my desires, but that's a double edged sword: as much as I would be willing to set aside the graphical downgrade, I'm also equally willing to get over the 3d aspect of being in VR.

I feel less like I'm playing a character and more like I'm playing... myself. I roleplay just enough to let me see all the content, but I do like getting into the mind of a character.

Yes, there's one mod that lets you pop out into Race Menu whenever you want and see your character before you in full 3d, but that's not quiiite what I like.

In the end with Skyrim VR it's Skyrim. Once the novelty of seeing everything in 3d wears off I start missing things.

That said I have set it up so I have a symlink between my SSE and VR save folders, and perfectly linked the modlists (apart from the VR ESM), so I can jump between versions at will right now.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 16, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Nah the hubbub has died off for now but it reminds people what a shithead Arthmoor is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yes.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

kedo posted:

Has anyone tried using the SE version of SkyUI with Skyrim VR? I'm thinking about taking the plunge and grabbing another copy of Skyrim like some sort of idiot who hates money, but SkyUI is the one mod I'd rather not play without.

Before I fell into BattleTech's hole it didn't work.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I like Dawnguard but it has a few flaws. Granted so does the rest of Skyrim. Faction questlines could be longer across the board, generally.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

As much as I steer right the gently caress away from them sex mods are unironically a big part of the modding scene.

But yeah people who like their characters getting raped might be are certainly a bit hosed in the head.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

One thing I remember saying about ESO at launch was that it was pretty cool to have a game where you can go through nordic barrows, dunmer daedric shrines, and ayleid ruins with a single character.

Skyrim is getting closer to that, and that's pretty cool.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a good level to do Bruma? I know Helgan Reborn is recommended around 20. I'm doing a Light Armor/One Handed/Block/Speech shout knight with ordinator/thunderchild and it's been a blast so far, although I do miss pegging dudes from across a canyon with an arrow and getting ridiculous ragdolls.

I think Bruma is balanced to be in line with vanilla or maybe slightly higher level. But not too dramatic.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I also find it unusual that bandits wearing some furs and wielding iron or steel weapons are gonna wanna gently caress with a guy strolling around in full daedric armor and a massive glowing sword on his back. Also how did I never play long enough to get the full powered unrelenting force before? The difference between Fus Roh and Fus Roh Dah was something to behold.

I justify it myself as the bandits realizing that if they kill that guy they will live like kings for the rest if their lives.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

I will do no such thing, I just want to find the Apocalypse patch for SPERG. :gonk:

Look mate when goons tell you to gently caress a dragon for science, we expect you to gently caress a dragon for science.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oh wow this is the first time I've ever had a thread title be something I said. :3:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

What does that prevent you from doing? My newest console is a GameCube, got no idea what you actually do with online consoles other than apparently listen to racist 12 year old screaming slurs in first person shooters.

Which is not a functionality I'd miss having.

No multiplayer, no patches, no digital games, I'd guess

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Oh cool there was actually an update to Skyrim that I blindly clicked thinking it was just the usual 0kb reference file poo poo Steam does because why the hell would Skyrim get updated for real in 2019. How bad are my billions of mods all going to be broken now?

e: Also I think my #1 qol improvement to Steam would be a requirement for devs to post patch notes to news before they can push a god drat update.

Skyrim SE usually updates every month or so now for new creation club stuff. It shouldn't break most mods, except for SKSE, which usually updates almost the same day.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You pretty much can just move the folder over, honestly. I'd still set up MO2 for a separate install as AFAIK USSEP still has separate versions for VR and vanilla but the overwhelming majority of SE mods work out of the box on VR.

Just search on the SkyrimVR subreddit for the version of SkyUI that actually works on VR.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Worth noting that in my brief experience the default controls for the Index Controllers seem to be a clusterfuck.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

In my opinion, paid mods aren't bad, in theory. This iteration is just Bethesda contracting out some minor DLCs to especially good modders.

The original implementation through the workshop was a clusterfuck, but Creation Club is pretty inoffensive other than using a funbux system.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I ddon't really ever go super heavy on the modding but Skyrim VR is built ok top of SE, so benefits from all stability upgrades from that version over vanilla LE.

In addition in my experience it's almost better because unlike SE it doesn't get patched every month or so because of Creation Club, meaning you don't have to worry about waiting for SKSE to update.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I usually put my helmet on hotkey 8 so in cutscenes I can pop it off and look cool in 3rd person. Shield, too, but that one has more practical reasons too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Anyone have recommended mods for the Companions?

Ideally I want to be able to stay a vampire, but kinda interested in if there's anything like Immersive College kicking around.

It's Oldrim but you can probably try porting it over. Lets you set requirements for advancing in ranks, and when the moment comes, lets you turn down becoming a werewolf.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I'm a weirdo who thinks if ES6 isn't in Hammerfell, it's going to be in Valenwood because of "intense nerd theorizing" about a tiny tidbit dropped in the Pocket Guide to the Empire, Third Edition.

You're referring to the fact that Falinesti rooted itself.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah OpenMW is extremely good but as it stands at this moment it doesn't support MWSE or MGE-XE equivalent functionality so it currently lags just a bit behind the modded vanilla engine.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

finding a daedric weapon half an hour into a playthrough kinda defeats what you're going for, morrowloot (this is 4e)

also, something hosed up my crosshair position

This is a Morrowind tradition, though. Seriously, if you know where you're going, in Morrowind you can get a daedric weapon within half an hour.

Silt stride to Balmora, head down the Odai towards the coast on the southern bank, keep an eye to the south for the Vassir-Didanat Mine. Once found, enter it. Head back to Balmora, fast travel back to Vivec, go to the St. Olms Plaza, go to the Haunted Manor, break into the basement, find the Hlaalu Councilor Dram Bero, talk to him about the mine, he'll offer you a Daedric weapon of your choice.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Alternatively, look into Mark and Recall and Intervention mods, which re-create the Morrowind spells. Mark and Recall let you Mark a spot and then Recall to it later. Intervention spells take you to the nearest temple in a town, and I'm pretty sure all 9 Hold Capitals at least have a temple to Arkay.

That way if you want to get out of a dungeon for a breath you can Mark where you're at, Intervention off to the nearest town and sell loot, heal up, etc., then Recall back to the exact spot you were in before.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Are you playing an alternate start mod? Because I'm pretty sure there's an option to gain access to the College by saying "'Cause I'm the Dragonborn" and then demonstrating a Shout.

That's only available when you hit a point in the MQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

There's a pretty active Morrowind mod thread. Phone posting otherwise I'd shoot you a link

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430891