Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Wildtortilla posted:

Anyone use the mod Genesis? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/67811/

It's supposed to:
1 Randomly generated hostile population for dungeons--for immersive unpredictability.
2 The NPCs used will be appropriate for the type of location. (ie. Draugr in draugr crypts and so on.)
3 Only three small scripts, and they only run for a few seconds when a dungeon is first entered.
4 No DLCs required
5 Repopulating frequency of cleared dungeons can be set in the MCM menu.
6 Loot can be dynamically added to dungeon containers with parameters specified in MCM

I'm trying to find a way to get more enemies in the world.

edit: I also just installed Immersive Patrols... could have sworn I did that already but I somehow missed it. :(

Why in Talos' name would I want more draugr in Generic Draugr Crypt #83?

Dunno, if it works as advertised and that's the kind of thing that you enjoy then cool, but personally I never re-enter a dungeon I've already cleared on the same playthrough unless I have to for a quest, in which case I want in and the hell out of there ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Psion posted:

Dawnguard's worst failing is the inability to shortcut most of the DLC by not letting me attack Harkon and his entire castle the very first time you went there with Serana.

"one of me and many of them" pffft Isran shouldn't accept that excuse and neither do I

It's also pretty much impossible to believe Isran wouldn't kill Serana on sight.

I mean I know it's supposed to be super dramatic that Serana has this whole "I've never trusted anyone in my hundreds-years-long life and I just met you three days ago but I totally ~trust~ you for some reason" thing going on. Kinda lazy writing but OK, no big deal. But there is no way in hell Isran wouldn't follow his well established "kill first, ask questions later" policy with vampires and he would not care if she showed up waving a white flag. The fact he repeatedly insists on referring to her as "it" should clue you in that he does not view vampires as worthy of any rights whatsoever besides the right to die. And there's also no way Serana would be stupid enough not to realize this. If she really needed to talk to you and knew you'd turn up at Fort Dawnguard sooner or later then the obvious thing she would do is quietly stake out the cave entrance and wait for you to show up.

So they made Serana slobberingly stupid and Isran suffer from advanced dementia for the sake of making Serana's appearance slightly more dramatic. And that's pretty much what you need to know about Dawnguard's writing. It doesn't get any better from there.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

But that's what makes it all so tragic, they had Laura goddamn Bailey and they COMPLETELY WASTED her talents :sigh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The civil war questline just pisses me off for so many reasons and bugginess isn't even one of them. NONE OF IT MAKES ANY TALOSDAMNED SENSE.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's just preposterous that whichever side you take in the civil war, its leader makes the Last Goddamned Dragonborn swear an oath of obedience and then tells him to go do whatever this other person tells you to do. It's asinine and the Last Goddamned Dragonborn would never agree to such a thing. His course of action would be less "loyal subject of the Emperor just doin' work with the rest of the legionnaires" and more "yo Ulfric, you can stop your rebellion and endorse Elisif right the hell now and I promise your life will be spared, or I will kill you just the same way you killed Torygg right here, right now."

I mean I know it's a video game and you have to give the player some stuff to do, but the way Bethesda went about framing it is just pants on head stupid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I think that TES6 will show the Dragonborn siding with the Stormcloak and with the Dark Brotherhood to be canon.

I think TES6 will be set in a world wherein the Stormcloaks won, but probably the canon will be the Dragonborn just dealt with Alduin and then hosed off to chill with the Greybeards or something. Similarly the Emperor can have canonically been assassinated without the Dragonborn having to be involved.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My personal headcanon is that the Last Dragonborn sided with the Empire, more or less personally crushed the Stormcloak Rebellion, married High Queen Elisif, had an airtight alibi for when someone assassinated the Emperor, declared his own claim to the Imperial throne on basis of being Dragonborn and therefore Tiber Septim's rightful heir, swiftly crushed all organized opposition, and then personally led the Empire in leaving no trace of the Thalmor civilization but smoking craters. :black101:

I mean you consider what Tiber Septim accomplished, and he was a child playing with sticks compared to the Last Dragonborn, because he didn't have nearly the access to dragon souls (besides his Thu'um being probably not nearly as naturally strong.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

e: quote is not edit :downsgun:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 10, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Now I want a Kickstarter to hire Vladimir Kulich to voice the Make Skyrim Great Again mod.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Playing through the Civil War questline after the election, flawed as it is, was sooooo satisfying just to deny Ulfric that last egotistical request.

I wish there were an option to bring, say, Jenassa as a follower and have her execute him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As a pretty clueless user I will attest that MO is super easy to use and if you can't figure out how to run a modded game through MO then I don't know what to say beyond you're unintelligent and/or severely lacking in ability and/or willingness to read simple instructions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Funnily enough, JK's Skyrim city overhaul is Open Cities compatible. That mod makes the Oblivion gates less conspicious, like so:

Maybe even Arthmoor's hurt butt would be soothed by that.

Hahahaha no chance

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Soul Cairn is bad but not nearly as bad as the Forgotten Vale.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Today I learned that the random orcs that get killed by the giant the first time I approach Largashbur are followers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Do vampire attacks get that frustrating?

Do you enjoy NPCs getting killed as soon as you walk into a city and you can do gently caress-all about it? You do? Then vampire attacks are for you my friend!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Though it is weird the Vigils never decided to check out the spooky castle.

Where do you think the vampires are getting their "cattle"?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol, they made sprint a toggle? How does that work with the Sneak perk that lets you do a tuck-and-roll with the sprint button?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Who plays Skyrim anymore?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Bethesda pushing paid mods again? How surprising~~

They are gonna keep doing it until it goes throughthey go bankrupt.

Which is what will happen if they are really this stupid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

This thread is in my post feed and I see always new posts in it so I decided to read the past few pages. Do people actually still play Skyrim? It all seems to be about modding Skyrim and the drama of Skyrim modding and the game is what, 7 years old now? What the hell are people doing for seven years in that game? I went to look at the most popular section on nexus and it's all waifus, all the way down, lol.

No one has actually played Skyrim for years.

Modding Skyrim, however, hell yeah we do!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unless you're really attached to being a vampire lord or to the sleeping skill buff, there's not really a downside to becoming a werewolf and it makes you immune to annoying diseases :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's hilarious how Alduin taunts you with "My belly is full of the souls of your fellow mortals, Dovahkiin!" It's like "Bitch, guess what my belly is full of :smug:"

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, the Dovahkiin's soul is going to be the center of a cosmic game of tug-of-war after their death.

I pledge my allegiance to all the Daedra, they can fight it out among themselves when I'm dead.

The joke's on all of them, Akatosh gets the Dragonborn's soul and they can take it up with him if they don't like it :c00l:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

docbeard posted:

What about one that doesn't charge me with a crime if I murder the bard who's apparently been singing Ragnar the Red all loving night?

Worth the 1000 septims every time

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It was always weird how Movarth is this legendary ancient vampire but he's just hanging out in a cave outside Morthal waiting for you to come wipe the floor with him.

e: I was going to write some sarcastic comments about the whole Volkihar thing which somehow manages to be even dumber but what's the point, everyone is aware how horrible the writing in Dawnguard is

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well kinda, but it's more that it just makes no goddamn sense at all from one sentence to the next.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only way I can kinda sorta justify it in my head is the Last Dragonborn is so confident in his own invincibility that he figures it'll make things easier if he lets her lead him to the Super Duper Deluxe Vampires' super secret hideout, and then he can get to some serious vampire murder. But then Harkon pulls out that bullshit instant banishment spell--boy, I bet Alduin wishes he'd learned that one--and... that's pretty much where I lose the thread entirely, because it makes no sense that the Last Dragonborn would choose that point to say "Huh, well, guess I'd better run clear to the exact opposite end of Skyrim, leaving that Elder Scroll behind with the Super Duper Deluxe Vampires who openly are trying to end the world, and tell the Dawnguard to gear up to assault this place, because I'll really need their help!"

As I said, the only headcanon that makes not instantly killing Serana make any sense involves the Dragonborn being super arrogant, so he wouldn't go "hey, I need help with this!"

And then even if he did, why the hell would he take several days' journey back to the rear end end of the Rift to get said help, as opposed to, say, going to Solitude and explaining things to Falk/Tullius (or if you already kicked the empire out, there's a big Stormcloak army holding Solitude and Windhelm is still way closer than Fort Dawnguard) and getting a regiment or two?

And that's just the beginning of that mess.

graynull posted:

It would have made much more sense (and even introduced a later-used mechanic) if Serana had ambushed you with a bite when you mention the dawnguard wanting you to kill her. She makes you her thrall, then bing-bang-boom, no more having to explain the dumb narrative of you helping her or giving a poo poo about her.

Maybe but then you run into the same cutscene helplessness bullshit (i.e., plot rails, the exact thing we play Bethesda games and tolerate the hideous bugginess because they don't have) that makes the Thieves' Guild quest so asinine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

This is pretty good but, although it's been a looooong while since I did this quest, I suspect it's missing a few critical bits because:

I distinctly remember Karliah telling me later how she had to, like, harvest frog sweat for 15 years or some poo poo just to make one. Say what you want about that premise, it's not like the paralysis dart goes unexplained.

OK, let's run with that: so why they hell didn't she use it on Mercer instead of the random guy she's never seen before? OK, maybe she thought she was shooting Mercer, it was shadowy and she shot the first thing that moved. Except she explicitly says she saw both of you and chose to shoot the random guy she's never seen before with the arrow she spent 15 years making.

I really really wanted to like Karliah because I've had a super crush on Moira Quirk for 25 years ever since GUTS. But holy poo poo did they waste her on a spectacular idiot of a character. She's the Qui-Gon of the Thieves' Guild: you're supposed to follow along and root for her and not think about it, because if you do start to think about it you quickly realize that almost everything she does is so spectacularly stupid that your brain wants to crawl out your ears.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah that's one of the post's better criticisms because there was just a way simpler way of handling it: didn't expect Mercer to bring backup/a decoy, shot you by accident.

True but then that's just another example of Karliah being an idiot: she's had decades to plan this whole thing, she knows Mercer is an extremely clever bastard (or so the writers demand we believe, anyway), why the hell wouldn't she expect it's at least entirely possible he'll expect a trap and bring a sucker or two with him? Her whole plan was built around making sure he KNOWS it's her waiting to kill him in there. So. Stupid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you've never experienced the once in a lifetime experience of listening to the voice acting in Vilja's custom storyline, you should

Just make sure you have something handy to wipe up the blood that will be pouring out of your ears

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Emma is an adorable modding grandma and I can't dislike her stuff because of that. Just think of Vilja's voice-acting as the ugly Christmas sweater she knitted for you.

No the voice acting of Vilja herself is fine--actually better than just about any other follower mod except maybe Inigo. It's the voice acting of all the minor characters along the story that is... uh... well... you really just have to hear it for yourself or you won't believe me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Halser posted:

that's so practical and useful that it feels like a cheat mod

That's because it IS a cheat mod

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean if you're going to give a poo poo about carry weight for immersion reasons then the weight of almost everything should be jacked WAY up. As it stands you can be kitted out in full steel plate armor, carrying a war hammer, 7 studded hide armors and assorted boots and helmets from dead bandits, 15 potions, 10 hunks of cheese, 17 bottles of wine, 8 books, 18 pieces of metal ore and a few soul gems, and you're at only about two-thirds of your starting carrying capacity. Your personal carrying capacity, your follower(s) can also carry as much again by themselves.

So yeah, if you make the decision to not give a poo poo about that because it makes for unfun gameplay, it's not exactly a leap across the Grand Canyon to decide to console your carry weight to 1000000 and forget it exists.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

They should take a page from Dark Souls and only give you weight based on what's currently equipped, and associate a skilltree to weight training or something. It would also make the heavy armor / light armor choice more meaningful.

Light armor is functionally better but most of the really cool looking armors (even in Immersive Armors) are heavy so it's already a meaningful tough choice? :confused:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zore posted:

You get to be a Thane which means another housecarl companion in each. Also some minor quests and the ability to crime and get away scott free :shrug:

Once per hold. But still it's pretty loving hilarious to straight up murder an extremely prominent noble right in the middle of an extremely public event and have the guards go "Oh right, you're a thane, I'll let you off THIS TIME."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Double Agent posted:

I haven't been to Solstheim yet and the quest that's sending me there is one of the Ancient Technology ones from Dawnguard, so it's not even a mod issue. That's why I'm hoping there is a mod that stops it from happening. I'm guessing there isn't, but :shrug:

Can confirm this is correct, occasionally vanilla radiant quests will send you to Solstheim dungeons. It happens often enough that I automatically quicksave before taking a radiant quest. (Saving/reloading/trying again actually doesn't change the dungeon you'll get, interestingly; apparently skyrim doesn't re-randomize whatever seed it's using for that.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Riften has exactly one redeeming feature: You can murder an old woman while children cheer you on.

Two: you can drop a random axe in the market and watch people murder each other over it.

I did that just yesterday and Brand-Shei stabbed an unarmed but batshit berserk Marise Aravel to death and then everyone including the guards walked away not giving a poo poo. Also I picked the axe back up and sold it to Grelka.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Raygereio posted:

That is a quest, but still a radiant one.

I think I'm confused on definitions. I know there is a generic "Brawl" quest which everyone you can brawl with (Rolff, Uthgerd, that utterly insignificant dude in Morthal, the orc guy, some others I'm forgetting at the moment) are lumped into together. But I thought "Radiant" specifically meant quests that have variable targets, like bounties on bandits and poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm not quite arachnophobic enough to require a spider removal mod, but I'm arachnophobic enough that at the start of every new game I give myself the SPERG lockpicking perk that makes spiders docile. I can deal with shooting them from a distance and stepping over their corpses, but gently caress being attacked by one by surprise.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

SE is way more stable anyway and it was free if you owned all the DLC when it launched, and if you're using USLEEP you have to own all the DLC so if you bought Oldrim after Special Edition was released, L O loving L.

Am I a bad person for enjoying Oldrim just fine and ignoring SE because I just don't want to be buggered reinstalling everything, hunting down SE versions of 70 mods, and finding out 20 of them haven't been/will probably never be updated for SE? :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Archery always lags waaaaay behind sneak. Like on my bog standard boring characters by midgame Sneak is at 100, Archery's at like 35 and One-Handed is around 55 or 60.

In SPERG Archery 55 is a big milestone because it unlocks a perk that stops you having to swat goddamn wolves every 15 goddamn steps, but if you want to get that far before the endgame you'll have to pay Faendal/Aela/Sorine a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Assuming you're not joking, realism is exactly what we want in our viking jesus game where we yell at dragons until they die.

This but unironically.

I mean, you probably have Frostfall installed, right? Most people who mod Skyrim do.