Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

IAmTheRad posted:

If anyone wants to take the mods I've made on the Nexus and convert em to Special Edition, go ahead.

I can't run Special Edition on my dinosaur of a PC.

You don't need to be able to run it. You just need to download it and the creation kit.

You might need to open it up once, so if you have an ancient video card without Dx11 support you're out of look there I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

So I should download a 12GB game to update a mod I made with TES5Edit. Got it.

Oh Lord no. I stopped updating my Bethesda.net mods because the ck is a huge laggy pain in the rear end compared to FO4edit.

I just meant that it's technically possible even if you can't run the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Feeling like an idiot here and getting irritated. Downloaded some mods from the Skyrim Special Edition nexus site (unoffical patch, live another life, magic) but there is no option for Data Files in the launcher, and when I point the new version of NMM to Skyrim SE, the esps I dropped in the data folder just don't show up. All that is there is the five vanilla esms.

How do I turn my mods on? :smith:

EDIT: They're definitely in the right place.

You're not meant to drop them in the data folder. Nmm uses a virtual filesystem that doesn't touch the vanilla data folder.

Download the zips and add them, or judt use download with manager if it's enabled this weekend.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I only heard about the free SE upgrade after it was released. So I'm probably out of luck on this one, is there still any way to claim my free upgrade?

If you have the legendary edition or all the DLC, the special edition will be in your library. Otherwise you'll need to rebuy it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Do you have any plans for SSE, Rose?

To play it and enjoy it :v:

I want to learn more papyrus scripting so I may make a few mods to play around with that. But otherwise no plans or, frankly, even ideas at this stage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Over the past three days I've been using Mod Organizer (and a couple giant effort posts) to mod the game. Slowly, but surely. I only added auto login in the MO config, other than that completely default install and it seemed to take Chrome & Firefox downloads well enough.

Now today the whole process just seems to have poo poo itself for no discernible reason. Constantly failing to download, operations being canceled/request failed, cannot request from the Nexus, gateway time out, you name it. Can't find any definitive answers online.

What can goons tell me?

The Nexus guys made a post saying that due to the Special Edition's popularity they may need to turn off magnet downloads due to the huge amount of bandwidth it consumes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Question - does Ordinator add scaling to destruction magic like SPERG or should I source another mod that does the same?

Also 3DNPCs is tentatively compatible.

http://3dnpc.com/2016/10/27/3dnpc-v3-31-sse-alpha/

I add tentatively because everything's in a loose file rather than a BSA which makes installation take for loving ever.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man SSE is crazy stable in comparison to regular skyrim. Just installed 150 odd mods and bam, works totally fine, with one or two missing textures. Though my framerate is hovering around 30 FPS which kinda blows, despite my GTX 970.

but all things considered a low framerate and a few missing textures after dumping 150 mods into skyrim is pretty crazy.

e: okay, disabling vsync solved the low framerate, reinstalling smim fixed the textures.

getting rid of open cities though. not worth the hassle, cool as it is.

e2: well that's goddamn bizarre. No NPC audio, voices, etc. And this despite disabling everything but the unofficial patch and the alternate start.

Mod added voices work fine however. Suggestions on how to fix?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 7, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Vanilla Skyrim had a weirdo problem where the vanilla audio would decide to just get 'lost' if you installed on a drive other than C.

Otherwise, if you uninstalled all of that stuff without starting a new character (also delete your old saves) trouble will abound.

Well that might well be the cause. The drive thing,not the save thing. I'm not insane hah.

E: wow I'm dumb it was a fuckup with archive invalidation in the .inis

Anyways! New question time. Is there a character overhaul that isn't Total Character Makeover since it makes everyone look like plastic barbie dolls.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 7, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Farg posted:

ok but how do i make my game not crash on launch and also save my level 25 save

this has happened so many times before i'm scared i really liked this one :(

Sounds like a missing master file. Go through your modlist, NMM should let you know that there's a missing master when you look in the mods tab. Also I'm not sure porting over a save from oldrim is really feasible. If it's a SSE save you're fine.

Also Beth.net mods are laggy and buggy as poo poo. Way worse than the steam workshop in terms of implementation. You may need to manually delete the .esp and any associated files from your data folder. If they still won't delete properly, delete plugins.txt and loadorder.txt which are in local appdata, iirc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

How so? I mean I know the UI ingame is garbage compared to steamworks but how are they functionally worse aside from people just uploading lovely mods?

I mean maybe they fixed it for SSE, but you would not believe the amount of bug reports I got for the mods I uploaded to bethesda.net for Fallout 4. Plugins not activating, plugins refusing to deactivate, .bsas sticking around after uninstallation. At least with steam if you've unsubscribed to something you know that at least it'll get loving deleted.

I mean I literally had dozens of people reporting these bugs and all I could say was "blame bethesda" because it sure as gently caress wasn't an .esp messing with your loadorder and plugins.txt located in a hidden folder in %appdata%

tl;dr you have no idea if installing/activating/deleting the mod through bethesda's interface is actually going to do a drat thing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mehrunes posted:

Well deleting mods actually deletes them. I haven't experienced any of the problems you've described in SSE. Bethesda.net seems fine for general use.

I mean even if it worked fine, which it might in SSE, it's still a colossally dumb idea to install anything off of Beth.net instead of through the Nexus. You really want to have everything managed by a mod manager, especially if anything you're doing involves texture or mesh replacements.

God I miss Mod Organizer. So much more convenient to manage texture mods!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm honestly guessing the former rather than the latter, although I'd gladly be wrong.

As am I, at this point. It's not simply a matter of updating jumpcodes and offsets at all.

There's a reason you haven't seen many SKSE mods for fallout 4, and that's because the increased functionality it offers is... not a lot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Well I got my mods working but I noticed an issue. My skyrim has that deal where when you move the camera slowly it's "jittery". Its sometimes really subtle and sometimes really noticeable. It's hard to say for sure but I think it's worse when you're around a lot of trees and rocks, less so interiors. It's not the mods, it does it even booting up the game in vanilla mode, and I think my computer is strong enough to run it, depending on resolution and settings it ran anywhere from 40-60 fps. I tried limited framerate to 30 with riva tuner, and then with an .ini edit instead. It seemed to help a little but it definitely didn't fix it. I tried a mod to run in borderless windowed, didn't fix it, but it did fix my double pointer arrow issue when alt tabbing at least. I also messed around with V sync, tried setting graphics with my Nvidia program, and also tried it letting the game set them.

In fact the only thing that seems to help is setting the Skyrim process to Realtime priority. I googled the hell out of it and nothing has fixed it, but it's still playable at least. My computer is a Lenovo, I think the stats are I5, 8 gigs ram, and a GeForce GT 730.

e: It's both in first person and third person mode. Third person mode it's less noticeable but only because you are zoomed out more I think.

With that graphics card it's a wonder you can even get that high, but props I suppose!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, if that's the problem no big deal. I was thinking of buying this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127904&cm_re=GeForce_950_2G-_-14-127-904-_-Product in a week or two. I need one that will run in an oem slot because my pc came with a power supply that doesn't have any extra connections. Would that be a fairly decent upgrade?

It would be if it weren't overpriced as hell and a generation old. Go for a 1050. Also ask in the PC part picking thread in SHSC.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I have to admit I have no idea why you even want a bashed patch when manually constructing a merged patch is far superior.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Psion posted:

Compatibility issues with too many other mods. If your modlist is short, go for it, but if you start getting into it, "I think it's a problem with Open Cities" is something you see posted a looooooot. It's not the mod's function at fault, it's what you have to do to the gameworld in exchange. It breaks a lot of assumptions for other modders.

Same thing with Strip Open / Freeside Open in FNV, whatever the Open Fallout 3 was, Oblivion, whatever. Any mod which touches city cells - which is a lot of them - is probably going to puke on open city-style mods.

and i'll take your word on it the SSE version is stable and performs well because that certainly wasn't the case in the good old days of "doesn't know how to address more than 2GB RAM natively" Bethesda era - so yes, cell splitting for stability was the right call on Bethesda's part. If that's different in SSE, that's good.

Open Cities is legit stable these days. But it's too incompatible with other mods for what's a cool gimmick and not a lot more. It's not all that convenient, really.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Whatever the ENB, whatever the settings, I can't seem to get 60 fps outdoors (high 50s).

I have a 4GB 970, with a Skylake i5. Am I being too ambitious or is there likely something I'm doing wrong/overlooking.

e:Turning off texture packs seems to have zero effect.

Check with GPU-Z to make sure your video card isn't throttling for whatever reason.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sylink posted:

You sure?

I'm sorry why would anyone ever not want this

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

vivisecting posted:

If by run through LOOT, you mean click "sort plugins" then "apply," then I did that every other mod I installed, but it didn't change the load order, I had to change it manually in NMM.

Also make a merged patch in tesvedit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KakerMix posted:

You running WICO? Windosong's I (guessing ~immersive~) Character Overhaul? Billed as an appearance thing but oh boy wouldn't you know it also happens to touch a bunch of essential flags.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. What do people use instead?

e: alternatively there's a fix here
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5dhgaa/wico_marking_npcs_as_essential/da4mzq2/

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 20, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Cool, thanks. We've decided to just go with the regular edition then and have started collecting mods. He's played through the game unmodded once before, so I'm just compiling a list of poo poo for him to grab. This series is aiding greatly.

I'd strongly recommend going with the special edition. You're not actually missing a whole lot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I actually don't love Noble Skyrim. Made things a bit too cartoony, somehow (it was probably one of my other two hundred mods but w/e).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

Something that only just recently came out (we're talking in the last couple of weeks, specifically). There's also still a lot of work left to do before it's as fleshed out as, say, SKSE is.

Dude the beta of f4se has been out for over a year now, or thereabouts.

I also feel like folks bitching about the lack of f4se killing fallout modding aren't actually modders themselves, because it really hasn't.

Sure, there's always a papyrus function you really wish you had, but f4se solves some of those problems nicely and the others are a consequence of any sort of coding in the first place.

I've no comment to make on skyrim modding because I don't mod skyrim, but I was literally the first person in the world to figure out how to get plugins to work with fallout 4 (and release them, I should clarify) a good month or two before the real tools were release. I've kept an eye on things since.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 15, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Bethesda 's scripting engine does (with a number of bugs) everything it needs to do for the vanilla game. I hardly think it's greed or laziness that they don't put in extraneous functionality that would go unused. It's a testament to mod authors doing cool things, not Bethesda being lazy or greedy with regards to skse

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Archonex posted:

Huh, really should have waited to post that on this page. That Organic Factions mod is easily the hugest thing i've seen out of Skyrim since it's release. Regardless, check the bottom of the last page. It's amazing, and really needs lots more attention.

Also the Creation Club is going to be so hilariously unmanageable. How will they stop pirating of content or people loving with the mods? If they encrypt the mods it'll be a day 1 crack. Never mind that mod creators that aren't a part of the club will have conniptions (or just quit modding Skyrim) due to the trouble it'll cause.

In theory it's possible with some clever scripting, but Bethesda would have to extend their api for it to work. What it could do is have a script that runs once on load that phones home and checks to see if the user has purchased the given content, disabling it if it doesn't check out, and serializes the value to the game save so it doesn't need to run again. Of course, unless you also build that into the ck it would be pretty trivial to remove, and if they haven't done that for the DLC I doubt they'd do so for this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

What's a good graphics overhaul for SSE that isn't Noble Skyrim - I always found that it made the world look oddly cartoon-y in a way I disliked.

E: also I do not want to gently caress with ENBs. Debating between Skyrim 2017 and Osmodius.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 20, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

Okay so I did this. It seems to break something on SE: saves are organized by character name, so you can't see your old saves. Also, auto saves go under your old name. Turning off then reactivating the auto save types seemed to fix them though.

In contrast, letters in my inventory that mentioned me updated to the new name.

None of this was a real problem for me, just worth noting for others doing it on SE.

Personally I just use showracemenualternate which seems to have neatly avoided that particular issue.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I tried Requiem once. It wasn't fun. You can't even pick locks without taking perks, but it doesn't tell you this, and it still lets you try, and waste lockpicks. There's just no sweet spot.

Okay that's actually hilarious.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

For OG Skyrim, MO works fantastic. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to setup and to deal with some folder shenanegins, but the big benefit is the fact that you can separately choose which textures and meshes overwrite one another. It's a huge advantage for setups with lots of texture mods.

For SSE (and FO4 for that matter) I'd just say gently caress it and use NMM. I used to be a big Mod Organizer partisan, but it's a nightmare to use for FO4 and SSE has both less of a need for big texture mods and I'm not sure how well MO works with it. In any event, it's unnecessary for my use and probably not worth the headache.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

oh yeah no I would never use beth.net

It was such a pain for FO4 I never even bothered updating any of my mods there after the initial upload, and the utter lack of FOMOD support or ability to upload multiple .esps was a complete killer.

Like occasionally to stroke my own ego, I like counting how many downloads total I have on all my mods (just over a million!) and I don't even bother counting the Beth.net ones because goddamn what a horrid interface.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

well this is a dreadfully dull conversation.

I have a question though. Say I want to transfer my SSE installation from one computer to another, mods and all. Using NMM. Is my best bet to just... copy/paste the data directory and NMM's various folders?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Does SkyTweak work for SSE? If so, you can adjust the damage taken/given by difficulty level.

It doesn't, but there are plenty of combat Overhauls and mods that gently caress with health scaling. Check one of them out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there any mods for PS4 that change alchemy in any cool ways, or is that just not doable on console?

I realize I should prob just be playin this on PC but hell I got a big cool OLED a couple months ago and I wanted to play something cool looking on it so I'm tryin the 4k version on PS4

PS4 mods are severely limited. You can't really do anything other than play vanilla+.

No new weapons, items, or big overhauls. No graphic changes or overhauls or anything. If it requires any new assets, it can't be done on PS4.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Yeah i couldn't get MO to recognize SKSE 64 when i tried yesterday, so i guess i'll go with the path of least resistance and mod Oldrim.

I'd honestly just use NMM. It works fine these days, and SSE is an incredible improvement.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lordshmee posted:

Has NMM implemented a virtual file system yet? If not I can’t see how anyone who has ever used MO could tolerate it. One mistake? Enjoy your 4-hour reinstall!

Not to the same degree as MO, but yeah it does. And it handles uninstallation properly now as well, and only installed mods get written to the data directory. You lose out on being able to reorganize BSAs and loose textures and poo poo independently of the .esp/.esm, but other than that they're almost feature for feature.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Midig posted:

The general opinion is that SSE has more potential due to better performance and stability, but that certain ENB effects, SKSE functionality, and a solid mod manager are still to live up to Oldrims standards. Of those functionalities they seem to be coming along in the order I put it in. Which means I will have to wait a long time for SSE since I honestly just can't go over to it until they got stable Mod Organizer. All of that said some people swear by SSE and they might be correct. But I am not abandoning my monster load order in Oldrim until SSE is the clear choice to go for.

SKSE is in SSE now, I thought?

And NMM works fine and handles uninstalls properly, the only major missing feature is the inability to independently handle load order for loose files not packaged in a BSA.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

No though you're "missing out." You'd be shocked how much stability matters and improves the game, it's very significant.

Like one or two crashes in thirty hours with 150 mods stable, when I played like six months back.

That being said I literally am (was?) a modder and so dread the idea of recreating my setup I haven't played since a few months back so that part is 100% fair really :v:

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 10, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I've never installed that Alduin buff mod because I loving hate fighting flying enemies and see no reason to prolong that suffering any more than I have to.

It's not bad in an open field, but in enclosed environments especially it's annoying.

Legit cool mod though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

NMM is fine if uninspired these days and honestly the loss of functionality is probably worth the time spent not troubleshooting installation issues. It's fine, it does the job, and most importantly? It's easy to use. MO2 is not.

MO2 is better and if it works for your setup great but honestly I wouldn't recommend it to new folks.