Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

i love to poop and pee in skyrim with immersive toilet mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Ah, well, to put this in context: my current playthrough is a level 51 Orc with 100 Skill in Heavy Armor and a full set of enchanted Legendary gear. I expect to be a bit overpowered, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be carving through basically everything but dragons in 2 to 3 attacks.
Level 50 is the point where you start a new character, no exceptions

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Based on their story about how during Oblivion's development they'd get civil wars started by an NPC's desire to spend a few hours raking but another NPC had already grabbed the rake
remember when they came up with loads of insane complex clearly made-up stories about what RAI could do then said after launch "oh yeah, it was just too good so we had to make it worse" to excuse it actually being poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if I'm not too obsessive about visual mods and just want to make the game look good with minimal effort, will Noble Skyrim cover me or is there anything glaring it misses out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cheers!

and yeah by "minimal effort" I've been modding heavily since Morrowind so I just mean "will take less than a week for once"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Steam allows refunds, you know.

The thing is, if you buy the Skyrim DLC and refund it you get to, uh, keep it, because the DLC is just two .esm files and it doesn't delete them. My girlfriend accidentally owns it because she played my Skyrim on Steam Family Share (I have the DLC), then she bought the base game, and it automatically downloaded the DLC to match her save game or .ini or whatever.

So that would be piracy and do not do it, is what I'm saying.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Is it still generally considered a good idea to completely restart your PC after a crash, or is that basically an Old Wives Tale of Gamebryo? Would save me quite a bit of time if the latter!
It works sometimes if you get a repeated crash at the same place/time. I don't know why either.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never made a mod before but it seems like someone posting a 3/4 out of 5 with an explanation on how it could be better would be the best case scenario from an author's standpoint.

I talked about this in my Morrowind Modding Interview a few months ago, the sheer hatred of constructive feedback in the community and how harmful it is.

I get that some people just want to put a fun mod out there, made in their spare time and released for free out of (charitably) love of the game and community, and they're just not interested in seeing someone take it apart and criticise them. I totally get that!

However, they're totally flawed in their thinking and the hate for criticism is damaging to the quality of both mods and the community around them. I once commented on a Morrowind clothing mod that all the dialogue it added was in terrible English and full of spelling and grammar mistakes - politely, you know, saying the main part of the mod was the clothes and that was unaffected, just a mild criticism - and the modder responded with a tearful rant about how this is why they wanted to quit modding forever.

That was like 10+ years ago and the culture has become an order of magnitude worse.

Like, I'm insecure, I struggle not to take criticism personally. But I loving get over it. It's easy to see who's trolling and who's offering constructive feedback and the latter comes from a good place.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This applies to technology advancement in general tbh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Is there any explanation for FPS drops when your CPU and GPU aren't being taxed? If I run the game with the HD texture DLC and an ENB I net 55~ FPS when looking at Riverwood from the bridge, but I'm only getting something like 30% GPU usage. If I install more 2K texture packs, with parallax, I've hit 66% GPU and 51% CPU usage, but I'm getting 40~ FPS while looking at Riverwood. My VRAM isn't going beyond 2300 MB, and I'm using ENBoost and the SKSE memory patch. I don't really get why the game is lagging, or why installing 2K texture packs over preexisting 2K textures is reducing performance.
it's depressingly normal. Skyrim doesn't work very well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Game of Chess posted:

I had such great luck with my mod list and now my main save crashes every time I go in the vicinity of my character's home. :saddowns: on the whole though I guess I'm surprised it took this long.

U got a crash log m8

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so I know Tatterdemalion was clearly never going to get finished but did the makers ever update/say anything

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played with Frostfall once and decided it mostly just added mindless busywork tbh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

None of the 'DLC' landmass mods are good hope that helps. Skyrim suffers a lot from lovely 3rd party quests I think there are maybe 5 that are good.
good ones being Wheels of Lull and uh... Forbidden City?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Don't ever compare a masterpiece like bg to a shoddily balanced grindfest like Requiem. Baldurs gate doesn't have nearly the mindnumbing mechanics and relentless difficulty curve Requiem does.
it's similar in a sense, e.g. not being fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I tried Requiem once. It wasn't fun. You can't even pick locks without taking perks, but it doesn't tell you this, and it still lets you try, and waste lockpicks. There's just no sweet spot.
lmao that owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does anyone know what could cause the vampire lord (idle?) animations to bug out so that you are stuck in flying mode and unable to raise/lower your hands or use your vampires spells? In my current game I'm stuck like this every time I transform (ever since I transformed the first time in that initial quest bit). I have Enhanced Camera, Customizable Camera, and Archery Gameplay Overhaul (replaces some bow-related animations), which each seem like plausible sources of problems but I can't find anyone else online reporting issues with them.
I had this on my old computer when I was modding the game out the rear end, I think too many scripts were trying to run at once - it sometimes bugged out with fancy spells, Frostfall and things like that but it really hated Vampire Lord form. It's a known issue but I don't know if there's any surefire way to check that it's the source of your problem, like IBS.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the s in fps stands for shooter

skyrim isnt a shooter so it works great
two out of three character archetypes (bow man and wizard man) primarily focus on shooting, with a little crosshair and a focus on player skill. Skyrim is de facto a shooter.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Its amazing that they managed to make something so mundane out of a story about the two halves of a schizophrenic god having a philosophical argument, with the Dragonborn being the eternally recurring centre and genesis of linear reality and Alduin being a demiurge figure leading angels made of time , but... they managed I guess

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

skyrim is much worse for not having a character writing books about being a video game character instructing you the player on how to beat the game

those books don't even exist in oblivion or skyrim, what the gently caress lmao

maybe when Vivec got bored and wandered out of existence or whatever he did (I'm not reading the Trial of Vivec I know MK thinks it's canon but it's an embarassing forum roleplay for gently caress's sake) they ceased to exist along with him

or not, I guess

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Randaconda posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5932/

If you don't use this mod, are you really even playing Skyrim?

Use the zoidberg one dude

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't claim to be the best political analyst in Whiterun. Eric Garl-Mane's got that honour. The man's tweetstorms are legendary.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

help I have like six games to play including million hour long things like Original Sin 2 and I'm feeling the urge to install Skyrim again for some godforsaken reason

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I have a few tips to offer to help you get that essential Skyrim experience bet still enable you to work on your backlog. Install the game,
Install the posh mudcrab mod, and start up a new game. Then take the following steps to ensure a complete Skyrim experience:

Spend no less than 15 minutes in character creation.

Put a bucket on the shopkeeper's head in Riverwood and steal everything not nailed down.

Go outside and look at a posh mudcrab.

Say out loud "Jesus Christ Arthmoor what were you thinking?!"

Steal a horse and climb vertically up a mountain.

Shout a goat off said mountain.

Ragdoll down the side of the mountain.

Close Skyrim and install a mod that puts tits on a mudcrab.

Go back to your backlog.
reading this actually worked as some kind of counter-spell and I feel okay now. I do need to get back in and play Wheels of Lull and Forgotten City and some other stuff some time though. Also I should probably buy Hearthfire so I can upgrade to the SE but everyone forgot Hearthfire and it never goes on sale even when the other original Skyrim parts do lol

Agents are GO! posted:

That's okay because Legacy of the Dragonborn is garbage.
I kind of want to try it for how insane it sounds

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if MO doesn't work what are we supposed to use on Windows 10

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Moonpath is gorgeous and was super impressive at the time but isn't really any fun to play

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

are there any good civil war overhaul mods? I know Apollodown's was kind of a bloated mess and then he went insane and decided nobody deserved any of his mods because of the bad politician man, are there alternatives

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Colourful Magic is absolutely absurd and ridiculous. It owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gonna do a poo poo in markarth

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's bad because of the loving clown

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I actually thought Dawnguard was above average in terms of writing, but then I'm really out of the loop on the TES canon. I assume it shits all over pre-established lore or something?
Did you play it while drunk, concussed or did you get a hypnotist to make you forget the magic pixie dream vampiress

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

this is probably my favourite bit of writing about the thieves guild because it goes into the minutae of what makes it amazingly hilariously retarded in every single scene

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I assume by "in the gameworld" he means it's never so much as hinted at existing outside this one incident/scenario which is extremely stupid

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's because it IS a cheat mod

In a game with easy fast travel I'd argue that it's more a convenience than a cheat, it's not removing any meaningful challenge

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ultimate Dragons is good I think. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and it's terrible though, not sure. Thanks for reading my post

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Gameplay is a minor part of Skyrim and the focus should be on religion" is a new take I guess

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Looking for functioning Scuba mod. Moooojhf for SCUBA m0d. Scuba mod!!!! Scuba

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Frostfall is pointless busywork that's fun for maybe one playthrough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I think I got fed up with Hunterborn within about an hour lol. I'm not against mods that make the game an in depth life needs / survival thing in theory but none of them have ever done it for me. I guess it just feels too much like trying to make the game something it isn't ever really going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I hate the stones of barenziah with my life