Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Raygereio posted:

:words: about Skyrim Remastered and impending mod drama
We should probably just download every mod ever now so that we have a place for "abandoned" mods once certain modders quit the Internet in a froth of rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm beginning to think the person that recommended just getting a Noble Skyrim or another big texture pack was right. I'm up to N, at least 142 mods and I'm half done. Still - I've come this far!

Only 113 to go! Before you start merging them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I've been thinking about reorganizing the OP to have up-front a more detailed set of "before you mod" best practices and then have the list followed by a "last steps" section mirroring it: setting your load order, making patches, that sort of thing. Alternately, "before you mod" would be a kind of start-to-finish set of instructions with "get mods (see below)" in the middle. A lot of this is implicit in the description of tools or tucked away in more technical discussion as it stands and I think it would head off some frequent issues to have this stuff more prominent. I'd probably have to shove "Minor Overhauls" over to the second post to make room but that's whatever. Thoughts?

I think it would help readability. A checklist covering all of the usual things may be helpful as well. I posted "Modding Skyrim in a Billion Easy Steps" a few months ago. I can dig it out if you thihk it would be something people would use.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

That would actually be awesome.

Sent you a PM.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

:suicide:

So I'm an idiot. I was expecting SMC to be a thing where I downloaded a bunch of different texture mods and then when combining it would prompt me to ask which mod I'd like to use for X or Y like a FOMOD install - but nope! All it does is extract any mods you download into a single folder (which I could have done myself without downloading 250+ mods!). So I now I have an absolute mess of incompatible, redundant textures and esp's taking up 22g of space. At least I have them all downloaded when I pick the 10 or 20 mods I actually want.

You can edit the .bat file to pick which texture you want out of the base set. It essentially starts with everything, and then selects what the author thinks works best into a set of texture replacements for most textures in the game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Not on my main laptop at the moment. The entire SMC used to work as a simple Windows batch file that just moved files out of the /input directory and put them into the /output directory, and from there would ZIP or otherwise package it up neatly for the /data folder.

I may be dating myself: look for a .cmd file.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Power Walrus posted:

Dear Thread,

Thank you for the excellent OP, and for getting me to spend three days downloading and installing mods. I'm actually excited to revisit Skyrim! I've played for over ran hour and my game hasn't crashed yet! Yipee!

Time to add some more mods, clearly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

This thread behaves just like a help desk. Drop in posters are just like users.

All it's missing are howls of "This is affecting production!"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Im impatient and every guide Ive looked at there I found it nearly impossible to find the point. TLDR basically.

You...want a tl;dr for modding? :psyduck:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

He actually seems to be setting reasonable expectations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arthmiir represents the True Flame of Modding. Act accordingly.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Arthmoor: Is he a great modder, or the greatest modder?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

OK here's the best bits:

fukken lol

I can't tell where the various verbal fallatios start and end. (Please don't tell me.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Probably the biggest problem for the SKSE update will be the move from 32-bit to 64-bit. Now, this is in essence a good thing as it allows the game to utilize more memory and can give a performance boost.
The problem is with how the script extender works. Basically as the OS takes the game's executable and loads it into its memory in order to run it, the script extender steps in and shoves its own pieces of code in there. In order for it to do, the script extender needs to know various addresses in the memory. The exact positions where the script extender's code has to be hooked in.
Whenever Bethesda made some changes to their codebase and recompiles the executable, lots of those addresses change. Fortunately a lot stuff will also stay the same. That's why the the script extender team has to release an update after each patch, but can do so fairly quickly as they have a basis to work from.
When you move your codebase from 32-bit to 64-bit however, all addresses change. Which means that the script extender team has no basis to work from and essentially has to redo almost 5 years of work from scratch.

Is it really starting the whole thing from scratch, or just the address mapping? Or is the address mapping 90% of the work or something?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is it at all feasible to implement SPERG without requiring SKSE? I hope this is not a dumb question (but it probably is.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

The patches are an interesting case though because that's not just Arthmoor. There's a whole team, isn't there?

It seems on the surface of it that not having the patches available for discussion in MP will make a number of things difficult...

You mean, like compatibility discussions. "My mod is fully compatible with 'that common patch'." It will be like advertisers avoiding the term "Super Bowl" and referring to it as "The Big Game."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Has Shutup Milmulnir been ported yet? Because Arthmoor's terrible voice acting really is worth its own patch.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Smol posted:

Wait Arthmoor voice acted the dragon himself?

Yes. Even worse, he posted it on the Internet. Now it will never truly die.

In better news, the above mention about NPC count made me think: ASIS is going to be absolutely nuts in SE when/if it ever gets working. I'm going full Magnificent Seven as soon as the mod scene is somewhat stable. :black101:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Killsion posted:

Does this mean NMM also now does the thing MO did where it wouldn't actually replace anything?

Not yet. They're creating a new mod manager from scratch, and everyone assumes that means using a virtual file system.

Arthmoor will continue to cry into his goblet of Mountain Dew and use Weyrauch Bash, I'm sure.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

The MO guy has been working for the Nexus for like a week, and he's leading a team making a new mod manager (which will also be called NMM) from the ground up. He hasn't touched the current version of NMM at all.

So yeah, they are scrapping their entire poo poo program like you wanted them to, it just takes a while.

He started in early September. Still, (good) software takes time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is there any indication when tools like ASIS and Automatic Variants will be ready to work with SE? Same question for aMidianBorn stuff.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 3, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

No idea about the patchers, you'd have to ask LtSmash (I think at least ASIS requires SKSE) but amidianborn works now, I'm using it.

Thanks for the response. I think I may try mostly-unmodded playthrough (i.e. USLEEP and a couple others), and come back to modding after things like ASIS and AV are up and running. I would love it if someone made an Automatic Variants for armor and weapons.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean even if it worked fine, which it might in SSE, it's still a colossally dumb idea to install anything off of Beth.net instead of through the Nexus. You really want to have everything managed by a mod manager, especially if anything you're doing involves texture or mesh replacements.

God I miss Mod Organizer. So much more convenient to manage texture mods!

I like how with MO you could deselect individual files if you wanted to.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Immersive Armors uses SkyUI, which needs SKSE. I'm guessing it may be a little while for that one.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Burns posted:

Its up and running. Hoth stripped out SKSE functionality. Seems to be working just fine atm.

Nice!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I am playing original Skyrim. Thanks for this recommendation.

Next question for anyone: is there a mod that increases enemy density? I'm getting bored cutting down only one or two enemies at a time. I would like a few more to deal with per encounter. I'm thinking about installing immersive creatures for more variety, does that change enemy density at all?

ASIS takes some time to figure out, but is really, really cool. Fighting a few dozen bandits at once is just fun.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

If only there were a site in which 90% of mods resided, and if only such a thing allowed one to search by mod name...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I am so blind. Sorry everyone I completely missed that post.

It's okay. You're busy keeping the Eve thread from becoming a cross between Lover's Lab and the Jerry Springer show.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

no bones about it posted:

Nah the latest Nexus mod manager uses virtual profiles for mod installation, it actually works as well as MO nowadays. Its way the gently caress better than it was back in 2012.

I think the profiles are virtual, but the file management is not. Thus, if you switch profiles it needs to delete and re-copy lots of data, versus just moving pointers around. I.e. it's much, much slower when changing profiles, and changing mod order.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Any chance Skyrim Unbound will get ported to SE? I know Live Another Life is a thing, but I liked Skyrim Unbound's ability to start a character at ground zero with no spells, etc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Hey, another modding newbie popped his/her cherry! Welcome to the thread!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

WICO Character overhaul is such an awesome modification.
The characters look so amazingly better after this mod. General Tullius especially.

My only gripe is they made nude female models but left the ability to have "Clean female textures" during install, which until I full looted my first dead female corpse did I find out what they were trying to convey.

I love the patch notes that say, "It's compatible with everything that doesn't modify NPC records. Probably needs a bashed patch.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

*immersive nudes

You forgot "lore-friendly."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Like Lootification, it's an external program that fucks with leveled lists so is it compatible with SSE as is or not? What about ASIS?
:iiam:
I'm really hoping Lootification and ASIS get updated soon. They're fantastic.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Even when I played V:tM I wanted my characters to be more about being cool and having fun than about either weeping about their lost humanity or relishing in their barbaric monstrosity, which sadly seemed to be the only choices offered by the setting.

This is gold.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Now all we need is Mod Organizer, SPERG, and the various SkyProc patchers. Though I wonder: Didn't SkyProc just create an ESP file? If so, could we import that ESPN file and save it in the new construction set?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I know SKSE isn't a thing for SSE yet but ASIS doesn't require it. Certain other things like Everybody's Different do not require it either. SkyProc patchers don't because like whats-his-nuts said they just create an .esp file that combines a bunch of aspects of mods you ran through it to make certain mods you have apply to NPCs, generally.

If you're going to change my name you should at least pay :10bux: for it. :colbert:

If SkyProc only needs to have some directory names changed in the code, I wonder if symlinks would trick it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I suppose you could download mods into Skyrim's directory and run Asis through that and then just move the esps over afterwards?

That's what I'm wondering. You'd end up grabbing Oldrim versions of mods (ASIS, Automatic Variants, whatever), running SkyProc, and then taking the ESP (and textures) over to the SSE Construction Kit, opening, and saving. I don't know if that would work, but I like ASIS and Automatic Variants enough it might be worth the effort.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Honestly, Arth just puts the subjective stuff into his "Cutting Room Floor" mod, which is a decent compromise. I read through the changelogs because it's interesting to me, and there's plenty of "reverted change X from before, too subjective."

Edit: And go to hell, GunnerJ, you just made me defend Arthmoor. :smith:

CRF really is the most reasonable way to handle that stuff, and as much as we mock Artmoor, it was a good solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

On the bright side, it made Vader's awakening at the end of Episode 3 seem better by comparison.

Given one of the words is "Dovakin", how much work would it be to just use the Russian or German or whatever voice files?