Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Ah gently caress, there's another new version of Skyrim which has incompatible mods and stuff?

I already have both LE and SE Skyrim so I guess I'm okay. I'm waiting till I get a newer, better comp in a few months, anyhow. Just got he sudden itch to replay it but I don't feel like installing all the mods again at the moment.

AE is compatible with SE mods. It's more like a DLC for SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's so cool about LOTD

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I put it in a root folder.
Maybe make a new downloads folder, move the completed downloads to it, restart the installation with the new folder, see if it happens again?

And if it does, I would try deleting the files that are triggering the errors

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What is this "playing" you speak of?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I tried septimus 3 once but IIRC it added stupid looking hair to everyone and half-whitewashed Redguards

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hefty Leftist posted:

so i really like the appeal of wabbajack, but is there a mod list which doesn't turn all the NPCs into weird fantasy doll-esque anime characters? all the NPC and head/hair/face replacements are so insanely godawful and every modlist seems to use them. i just want the characters to look kind of weird and ugly like in vanilla but not so low quality in meshes and textures

do i just need to bite the bullet and do a manual STEP install if i don't want weird poo poo in my modlist? that's definitely what i need to do isn't it :smith:

I'm pretty sure Journey doesn't do that, it's what I played last time. It still has some hair mods but they aren't anime hair, IIRC they pretty much just looked like vanilla hair but not as low res.

E: never mind, it has the vanilla improvement mods but it also has KS hairdos. I think what I did was install the pack and then just disable KS hairdos and related mods.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 26, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think hair mods ought to be safe to disable as long as you make sure to get all of the related ones. Looking at Journey's modlist for example, you'd want to disable these:

KS Hairdos SSE
KS Hairdos 1.7 Salt and Wind
Salt and Wind - KS Hairdos - Update

I hope there isn't some other mod in the list that's changed an NPCs hair to use one from KS. I suspect it's possible to figure that out using some modding tools but that's beyond my expertise. So I would just try it and see if it works.

Oh, and there's also LOTF. I haven't played it myself but it might be up your alley since it's supposed to be pretty much vanilla-but-improved.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

Honestly the Fallout 4 geographical difficulty approach is probably the best move (starting zone is easy, difficulty steadily increases in every direction), though I'm doubtful of how well it would translate to Skyrim, as the latter wasn't designed with geographical difficulty in mind. Maybe each town could be the center of a beginner-friendly zone, with the difficulty increasing the further off the beaten path you get?

I imagine for a lot of people this is a great gameplay experience but for me I think it would be too gamey and ruin muh immersion

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? I always felt like some areas being more or less dangerous than others is much more immersive. Like yeah the sparsely populated farmland too poor to support powerful raiders is much safer than the mutated hellswamp or the surrounds of where the militarised cult lives.

Variation itself is good I just don't like the whole "this corner of the map is safe and it gets smoothly more dangerous as you go further in every direction".

Razakai posted:

A "radiating" difficulty like above but centered on cities/towns with a few exceptions would be my favourite. Makes logical sense that scarier stuff is further from civilization, works well with alternative starting locations, and good for gameplay as you'd get a clear progression as you travelled further.
The current deleveled world stuff seems to have annoying ideas based on "realism" like Bleak Falls Barrow being a level 20 zone with a boss twice that level, because it's near a village and if it wasn't absurdly lethal it'd obviously be looted by now.

Something like this would be fine. I would probably do it so the safest places are the major roadways connecting big cities but various shortcuts require you to go through dangerous areas.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Zore posted:

I mean the Dragonborn being anything but a Nord from Skyrim is only really supported in the intro. The second that ends literally everything else in the game is written as if you are a particularly dim Nord who's been hiding under a rock your whole life.

Like even the Orc holds having the tiniest reactivity to you playing as an Orc still only just lets you skip an intro quest and goes into 'here is Orc culture explained to an idiot outsider'.

No, the fact that everyone has to explain literally everything to you supports the idea that you're from outside Skyrim. You were crossing the border into the province, you don't know jack about the customs here. Even if you're a Nord, you probably grew up outside the province because your parents immigrated or you were orphaned or something. You don't even know what Sovngarde is!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

free mods made by fans for other fans to extend a game that we all love has to be the most harmless application of AI imo

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

forgotten city: IIRC there are not that many iterations of the loop if you follow all the clues and stuff. I think it was 3? I don't remember it being tedious to get the good ending.

do the trainwiz mods work on special edition?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

there's a quest where Hulda goes on some adventure or something and Ysolda takes over the inn right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You milk drinkers idled in the wrong neighborhood

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what is parlor style

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why hasn't anyone made a de-arthmoorized version of the unofficial patch

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Simonrim looks dope, I haven't played this game in over a year but want to get back in. Any good Wabbajack lists with simonrim or whatever overhaul?

There are two that I want to try, but haven't got around to yet:
https://github.com/Ender108/Ascendance/blob/main/README.md
https://github.com/Geborgen/nordic-souls/blob/main/README.md

Obviously they don't have Artificer because it's brand new, but its probably safe to add yourself.

E: actually they both have other artifact mods so you'd have to disable those but still, its probably safe?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 18, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm pretty sure LE was just a bundle that included all the DLC.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

you wouldn't download a horse armor

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Skyrim combat owns actually I love to smack enemies with a giant axe and then send them flying with a fus ro dah

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

celestial teapot posted:

code:
$ neofetch
                   -`                    ryan@typhon
                  .o+`
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux
                `+oooo:                  Model: MS-7C56 3.0
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.7.0-zen3-1-zen
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 days, 18 hours, 10 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Shell: xonsh 0.14.1
            `/++++/+++++++:              Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:             WM: sway
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D (8) @ 3.4GHz [44.5°C]
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          GPU: ATI Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Memory: 15.74GiB / 62.72GiB (25%)
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Disk (/): 1.7T / 1.8T (96%)
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

Place your bets, I'm going in

bro you ain't getting past the cart ride

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

celestial teapot posted:

Yeah I'm using Alternate Start.

Anyway, the guess was wrong; I didn't even get to the main menu, let alone the wagon ride. Instead I got a big black window from a process not consuming any CPU.

Here's what I did:

1. Added ENB dlls
2. Added Weather is Sacred preset
3. Started SKSE via MO2 as before
4. Looked at a black screen for 5 or 6 minutes before giving up

No steam overlay, mangohud, discord overlay or anything of such is enabled.

Is this a known issue, or anything obvious I can check to troubleshoot it?

Black screen makes me think its a problem somewhere in the graphics stack.

I would start by trying to narrow down where the problem is. Right now it could be Skyrim itself, skse, ENB, or mo2. So try running with just Skyrim + skse and see if that works. You want to isolate the one thing that seems to cause the problem when you enable it and solves the problem when you disable it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Why nails instead of iron daggers?

Also to the OP, I humbly suggest you don't powerlevel smithing and instead pace yourself. IMO it takes a bit of the fun out of it if you can craft high level gear too early and the craft -> wait for merchants to restock -> craft loop is boring. What I personally do is craft with looted ingots and if I'm in a town between dungeons I only buy up the ingot supply once in a while. Just a suggestion ofc, do whatever's fun for you.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

lol that's a classic

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can't you give Lucien spell books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Synthwave Crusader posted:

Just stopping by to post this. The scholar who created Dagothwave has released a full on soundtrack replacement mod for Skyrim and it's honestly amazing.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/115096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTg2JEbaL1E

username post combo