Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Raygereio posted:

We don't really have any details yet. But it looks like it will essentially be Skyrim's assets, updated/remade and placed in FO4's iteration of the Creation Engine.
This means that most of your basic mesh & texture replacers can be ported over. However the question will be if for example a face texture replacer will still look good in the new lighting.
Any plugins however will have to be recreated in an updated version of the Creation Kit. Hopefully for your average mod user, things will be backwards compatible enough that you can simply open the plugin in the CK2.0, have it automatically update records and all you have to do is save the newly converted plugin. If we're unlucky a lot of mods will have to re-created, which means trouble for mods whose creators have moved on.
Also from what footage we've seen so far, it looks like they're taking advantage of the larger memory budget available to them and are placing some extra stuff in the gameworld (plants, rocks, etc). Which can cause issues for existing mods that add stuff to the gameworld. Think a mod's merchant stall clipping with a tree that wasn't there in the original version.

The biggest potential problem will be SKSE. F4SE is nowhere near to having the features SKSE has. The SKSE team have already said that - if possible - there will be an update. But expect it to take a while. Which in turn means it will also take a while for mods like SkyUI, or any other mods that depend on functionality added by SKSE, to get an update.

As for modding in general: It will continue. Though with the introduction of Bethesda.net as a mod distribution platform and console-mods, expect an increase in modders throwing hissy fits. We already have some wonderful early entries. Be sure to stock up on popcorn and enjoy the show.

I think I'll wait until SKSE gets a solid update before moving over to the fancy Skyrim (now with 1000% more rubble!) as I think of SkyUI being native to Skyrim rather than as a mod. I tried playing without it about a year back and man. . . I forgot they just decided to use Mass Effect 1's inventory management system, but worse, somehow.

Man, that's a pretty good hissy fit. Never thought I'd see someone asking how to incorporate malicious DRM into their free-to-use mod, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

bloodclot posted:

Oh, and another thing. There is a navmesh conflict between JK's Skyrim and the latest release of USLEEP which results in a crash upon entering Windhelm.. The problem is not present for users of JK's Cities - Lite and Superlite.

The USLEEP team doesn't consider this to be their responsibility to fix, and has provided no way for users to downgrade to an older version where this issue was not present. For the moment, the two mods should be considered incompatible.

That explains the crashes. Now I'll have to find another way to gather alchemy supplies. JK's Skyrim made that piss easy with all the plants thrown everywhere in the cities.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

First mods I got with regular skyrim was skyui and bugfixes, though i think i realy consider skyui a bugfix because wow the vanilla ui is some hot garbage on pc.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

TescoBag posted:

So is there a version of SPERG kicking around for SE anymore?

Not since the port was taken off Nexus.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Wait, is the SPERG guy a hugboxer now? I thought that guy was cool.

Nah, seorin (the author of SPERG) just hasn't updated it to SSE and might not, but doesn't care if anyone else does.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought I would get a simple, easy answer :negative:

Modding is hard.

Modding is the game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Yeah there's basically no reason to play the non Special Edition at this point. It even looks like SPERG is back, which is the only way to play.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Blackreach covers like a quarter of the overland map I hope they had something in mind when they made it. Otherwise maybe some loner on the design team worked on it for 18 months and the rest were like "yeah, sure, whatever".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I keep getting the urge to play this but holy gently caress trying to figure out which mods work and which are broken and how to install them just kills me.

I'm too stupid for this stuff.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm in the same boat, I don't want to go through delving the nexus again ever since my mods I left for a couple years were broken and needed to be replaced, hoping for those not-a-modpack modpacks to happen.

Y'all should check out Wabbajack, it automates the process using different modding guides. You know it's good because dipshit whiners in the modding community are complaining that it is depriving them of precious attention, see: this clownshoe.

quote:

The general idea behind this program is fairly simple. Given a Mod Organizer 2 folder and profile, generate list of instructions that will allow a program to automatically recreate the contents of the folder on another machine. Think of it as replication, but without ever distributing copyrighted files or syncing data between the source and destination machine. The end result is a program that recreate a modlist on a computer while respecting the rights of the game publisher and the mod authors.

e: The only thing is it requires a premium account on Nexus before Nexus will allow you to download all the mods without restriction. I'm also not sure if there are any nice .exe files floating around made by it.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 11, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What's this new racial mod thing you want me to judge? I wanna see. I got opinions.

Also, here's arthmoor's response to the change to exe:

*As in, users too dumb to install and manage a load order themselves.

lmao Arthmoor is incredibly stupid. just amazing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

editing registry keys is something i need in a mod for a videogame. i also really enjoy when i don't have the game installed into the default location and, as a result, can't install a mod.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Has anyone here dug into OpenMW at all? From reading around and watching their latest build video it's coming along nicely, it's only missing shadows due to their changing of the graphics renderer, but they'll be back in the next build. There's already a few coders that work on it working towards implementing Skyrim's assets with it, or Oblivion's.

For the modding side it's exciting because it supports 2147483646 mods, rather than the 255 that vanilla Morrowind supports.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't support MWSE mods, which means it doesn't support the Fallout 4 style looting mod, so it's a non starter for me until that changes. (Also means I couldn't use my current multi mark mod, but I think there's others that don't use MWSE so that's not as big a deal)

However you can use it to play Morrowind on Android.

Edit, didn't realize which thread I was in. There's a Morrowind thread that's relatively active and has people in it who have used Open Morrowind that could probably tell you more, aside from the MWSE issue it sounds like it's pretty solid now.

Ah, word, I'll check that thread out, then.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is the users.nexusmods.com domain inaccessible for anyone else? isup.me agrees with me that it's down. I can't log in (or log into Nexus via MO to link the two) and I have to update just a few things on my finally-working new computer but I can't log in.

Commander Keene posted:

I can't sign in either.

:same:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tonberrykng posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1137

Sigh. Does anyone know what "vanilla plus modding trends" means, like, at all?

Edit: or maybe not. Ordinator was briefly hidden by Enai for dumb mod drama reasons. Proof:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ethso8/ordinator_has_been_hidden/

Wait, he hid his mod because people weren't using it as much as he wanted? What? It's unhidden now but lmfao, hahahaha, Skyrim modders are crazy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Oh yeah, I get that, but why? Why try to control what the community is gonna choose? I'm glad he eventually just said what he wanted to say, which was say "I'm not updating it anymore. See ya suckers!"

And yeah, the perk system sucks in Skyrim. "Tweak" packs seem pointless to me since the perks are nonsense. That's why I still use SPERG.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

You take down your old mods because otherwise morons will DM you that version 0.34 (the last version you uploaded is 1.50) is causing issues in their 200+ mod list and you have to answer them immediately about why you let that happen.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Do literally any creative thing/content creation for the internet and you will quickly find that a small portion of the population is violently self-centered, toxic, and stupid, and there is nothing stopping that small sliver of people from doing everything in their power to make your life worse. Small miscommunications or entirely imagined sleights blow up into being doxxed or brigaded or receiving death threats or being stalked for years by some intensely strange person who has literally dozens of alt accounts created over multiple years on multiple sites for this express purpose.

Most of these people are Too Online or too dim to actually do much harm, but it's sort of exhausting to deal with, especially with the stress hanging over your head that maybe, some day, one of these gits will actually try to make good on their threats. In context it's sort of wild that anyone puts anything out on the internet.

Yeah that makes sense. The emotional effort of dealing with them just so you can make nice mods would be super bullshit.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Final thing: what is the mod ecosystem like for spear combat? I want to do spear with shield but it doesn't seem to be mature thing.

Spears will only be good once Skywind comes out. They added solid spear support but it was a huge pain in the rear end. Apparently one person worked for a few years to reverse engineer bethesda's toolset for adding 1st person animations and skeleton rigging and allowed the Skywind team to use it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Something I never really thought about in Skyrim is that the roads are all too narrow for any kind of wagon trains or caravans since they're all single lane. Do y'all know of any mods that widen all the main roads?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hope you never played oblivion and noticed all of the rivers leading to the imperial cities ports have little stone bridges across them making it impossible for all the large ships to ever leave the city, let alone make it through the shallow winding rivers even without them.

I haven't played Oblivion since it came out, tbh. I only recently thought about this since I was looking at the AI overhaul stuff.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Man, the Cities of the North collection is dope. Winterhold's came out a few days ago and looks fantastic, though it doesn't have all the patches for my current setup, yet.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Morroblivion eventually released (you can even download it right now!), so I'm not too worried about Skyblivion and Skywind being vaporware. They'll get it done as long as Bethesda keeps on their track of releasing Fallout: Shitpile and different versions of Skyrim.

The only thing that I wish could be done is a magical integration of Fallout 4's rendering system into Skyrim. The 4 light limit on any given mesh is bullshit, especially since Oblivion didn't have that problem.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 9, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

So I've recently started the ridiculous and silly process of trying to create a single plugin to rule them all and man, it sure is a loving pain in the rear end. SSEEdit is a wonderful tool, but I wish I could copy and paste with crtl-c and crtl-v instead of drag and drop. Also crtl-z to undo would be nice since I'm a clown. Is zEdit better?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks. I just kind of ignored the "suggested" Vortex load order and went with what was logical and everything seems to be working now.

Also, what are your guys thoughts on Skyrim 2020 textures? I feel like it's a real mixed bag. The towns look quite nice. Like wood structures, things like that, but I think most everything else looks bad. Paths, rocks, mountains, undergrowth etc. etc. It's very high definition (which is pretty nice for VR) but it all feels very haphazardly slapped on to create a pretty unnatural look. I actually just ditched it in favor of Tamriel Reloaded HD, and despite being noticeably more low res than 2020 textures, it just feels a lot more natural and well put together. Also the foliage looks fantastic and it actually gave me a performance bump. Guess I'm sticking with this for now. it's a shame losing that clarity since VR is so up close though.

Also, I can't believe I have been playing without SMIM until now. Wow, what difference, especially for VR. There were so many flat, simulated textures that now have some sort of depth to them.

The texture overhaul I recently switched to is Tamrielic Textures - Landscapes and the landscapes look fantastic. It has 4K versions so the level of detail is nice. It doesn't cover things like houses, so you could try keeping Skyrim 2020 and overwriting the landscapes with Tamrielic.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Come Nerevar, friend or traitor, come. Come and look upon the heart, and Akhulakhan. And bring Wraithguard condom, I have need of it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I haven't played Skyrim in ages but holy poo poo that makes me want to. That looks smooth as hell.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

wiegieman posted:

I'm finding it intensely amusing that the Skyrim mod scene has followed the exact same trajectory with respect to mod packs as the Minecraft scene did. Bitching and moaning by a small clique of prima donnas, who immediately became completely irrelevant because everyone wants mod packs.

I've been playing a lot of Rimworld lately and it's really incredible how different the modding community is vs Skyrim's. A big update came out recently for Rimworld and it broke basically all the mods. Tons got updated very quickly, but many didn't, and so people simply adopted them and posted a link to the updated version on the original's page. No drama at all, it's highly encouraged to take someone's mod and tweak it so long as you give credit. There's even a reupload template. I'm glad Skyrim is finally getting to that point, but drat it took a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Using Wabbajack to download and install a modlist like Legends of the Frost is so loving easy, good god.