Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So I bought AE during the winter sale and was prepared to just play it straight having next to no experience with Skyrim since its initial release. But let me just look at what kind of mods are out there... And then I tripped and fell down a well for two months. 500+ mods later, I'm nearing the end of my first modplay through and getting bored of this. I might even start a character and play the game proper soon.

Learning about MO2, xEdit, DynDoLOD, and ENBs have been fun challenges. But the last thing to figure out is the merged/bashed patch thing. Is this absolutely necessary? I'm using Open World Loot and it recommended a bashed patch. But OWL came with a lot of patches already for the bigger weapon/item expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

My cursory peek into the bashed patch stuff says to use Wrye Bash. But then there is also talk of a Mator Smash tool? Which one is recommended? And do I just need to merge leveled lists or are there a bunch of other record types that need to be merged as well?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I really liked Septimus as a modlist as it really meshed with my own personal tastes. But I'm not really feeling the direction of Septimus 3 where they jettisoned Vokrii in favor of Adamant.

dbzfandiego posted:

Now that the dust has settled a bit are there any must have mods that do not have an AE version? I assume only some mods only had to be updated right?

.NET Framework
Scrambled Bugs
Some sort of HitStop
Some sort of 3rd person 1st person camera
Nether's Follower Framework
NPC AI Process Position Fix - SSE
Hide Your Quests
Frozen Electrocuted Combustion

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I haven't played too much of it yet, but Nordic Souls is the modlist I've settled on recently after scouring through them all. It looks like it has a sensible mix of graphics upgrades, game mechanics overhauls, and new content. The owner is still actively working to update it.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

davidspackage posted:

Can someone recommend a fun, breezy martial arts mod? I'm not thinking of anything realistic, I'd like to run a hand-to-hand character who can kick and punch enemies and hopefully send them flying.

I did a martial arts playthrough a little while back. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of comprehensive support and I had to OCD cobble together my own suite to taste. It was still satisfying and doable. I used Adamant Hand to Hand for the skill tree which worked well and my damage scaled sufficiently to be viable, maybe even too good. There's a patch for Fearsome Fists if you have that as well. Needed a dual wield parry mod so I could block with my hands. A dodge mod so I could tumble out of danger. And then for animation, I scoured through every single unarmed martial arts mod and cherry picked the best stuff to put into a comprehensive DAR package that utilized directional attacks and randomization for fun variety. There's a decent amount of stuff out of there, all of mixed quality. I ended up with some blocking animations, some varied combos for the power attacks, and some varied short kicks and jabs for regular attacks.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So I'm trying my hand at modding in some IMMERSIVE new clothes, clutter, and statics. It's been a fun learning experience. Thinking about maybe releasing it to the nexus and I had a question on texture sizing that I can't find a straight answer on.

What are the optimal texture sizes for diffuse, normal, cubemap, and masks? Are there any good rules of thumb here? I want things to look decent by today's standards.

I'm thinking it should be 4k diffuse for larger items (body clothing, table-sized statics, etc.), 2k for smaller-medium items (boots, hats, gloves, basket/vase, etc.), and 1k for small items (forks, ingredients, etc.). But I'm not certain what people expect these days. Downsizing textures is easy so I'm looking at what a reasonable max should be to meet most players expectations.

And then what about normals and masks relative to the diffuse? Should normals always equal diffuse size or could they be halve to save size? How much benefit does a 4k texture get from a 4k normal?

And lastly cubemaps. I understand these the least but I can make them! What is even a good size for these? Vanilla cubemaps run small.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The Unofficial Patch fixes some bugs but there are also changes that are subjective based on the mod author's opinion. And he's infamous for having very strong opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

So should I bother looking into this or just leave it as is?

I would use it, but don't sweat other mods maybe overwriting it. It does more good than bad, but yeah, not all changes are technically bugs and are just the author's personal (and very dumb) opinion.