Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's been close to five years since I last played Skyrim. I think I should try the Special Edition, but I'm not sure what mods there are for it, as my old mods folder only has stuff for the original release (because that's what existed). I don't want to go overboard with mods and end up with a lot of accidental unintended things messing it up. The OP hasn't been updated in 1-2 years so I'm not entirely sure what the best stuff is, or what mods listed in the OP are incompatible with the SE.

Mods I liked from five years ago:
- SkyUI (The UI improvement one which reduced the font size)
- Categorized Favorites (for Sky UI)
- Quality World Map (with roads)
- Better Quest Objectives (Fixed some confusing or inaccurate directions and such)
- No automatic Thieves Guild quest start
- Bug fixes for Brawl, assuming that's still needed in SE.

- Smart Soul Gems
- Complete Crafting Overhaul (and a mod which I presume adds Smelters in/near Riften and Solitude)
- SPERG
- Water arrows for torch extinguishing
- Maybe some hidden entrances/exits from cities for sneaky in/exfiltration (I don't require any "open cities" mods)
- Something so that Vampires don't WHOOPS kill off all the townsfolk

I also had some sneak/thievery/lockpicking overhaul stuff but I don’t remember what it did. I don’t think I’m planning on making my first character a thief this time, so it can wait anyway.

I'm open to other suggestions of good mods, but I might not use all of them.

EDIT: Okay, so mods for Legendary Edition - no good. Only Special Edition mods work for Special Edition. Good to remember.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I completely managed to gently caress up installing Mod Organizer 2, it keeps trying to look for Skyrim, original flavor and NOT Skyrim Special Edition, even if I specifically go into the loving settings screen and change the Managed Game to try and point to the right exe.

I even wiped out the ModOrganizer directories and tried to start again in a new fresh directory, but that didn't help at all. It seems to remember.

I'm not even trying to install mods yet (although my attempt to try and use "download with Mod Manager" on the Nexus (that I tried to do as part of the tutorial) also didn't seem to work, saying "You need to associate with "Download with manager" links, which I already did as far as I know.

EDIT:
... I think it might actually be looking at the cached information from my old version of MO. I didn't install the new version over-top of the old one, but put it in a separate directory. And yet it's still trying to look for Skyrim where it USED to be before I uninstalled Steam, and it's still complaining that it can't find mod files which are no longer installed (because, as I discovered, uninstalling Steam also completely uninstalled all the games).

I guess I need to find where I originally installed the first Mod Organizer and install over-top? Or is there some way to clear the cache and get it to install fresh?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 10, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cynic Jester posted:

It's probably looking at where the config files are stored, which is usually in my documents or AppData. I believe MO2 gives you the option to install it as a portable program, keeping all it's setting files in the install folder instead, which is what you want in order to have each MO2 install be a completely separate instance.

I downloaded the zipped version which said "Zipped pre-installed version. Simply extract it on top of your previous MO2 install or in an empty folder (far away from the game folder)", which I presumed meant that I could install it into an empty folder and not on top of the previous install. I don't immediately see where my previous MO install is, or the old config files in "My Documents" but I'll try and find it.

[s]Is there not any other way to get this to just go "Hey, ignore the old crap and actually listen to the new settings I am manually putting into your settings menu right now?"

EDIT: Creating a new instance might be how this works. Let me just see...

Okay, I think I got it to work finally and tested it with the SE Quality World Map. Now I'll install the SE versions of SK Script Extender and Sky UI.

EDIT 2: Wait, I'm supposed to run mods through Mod Organizer, but the script extender says to run the game through skse_loader.exe. If I'm understanding this right, the thing to do is to unzip the script extender stuff into the base game directory, then in Mod Organizer, point the "Managed Game" setting to skse_loader.exe" in the base game directory. Is that right?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 10, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

ModOrganizer will launch the skse_loader

Okay, I see the new launcher option.

Here are the mods I'm considering:

EDIT: Moved below so as to not clutter the thread with outdated questions.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

docbeard posted:

If I recall correctly, all of Enaisaion's mods (which would include Apocalypse) integrate the brawl bug fix so you shouldn't need it separately.

I don't see that listed as a side-effect, nor on the "Compatible with mods: ", so I don't know. I might just integrate it in there anyway. EDIT: Found it, it's listed under the SE Brawl Bugs Fix.

How do people feel about the "Immersive College of Winterhold" mod? There seem to be add-ons to the main mod as well, or am I confused?
Is Expanded Towns and Cities worth a look?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Vavrek posted:

Immersive College of Winterhold felt too dense for me. It just adds a lot of stuff that makes the college more cramped. Some of it's cool, but there was a lot less quest-type stuff than I was expecting. (Like, I don't think there was any?) It mostly looked kind of cool and made the college more difficult to navigate, without adding anything much of value.

Note: It makes the Arch-mage's quarters into an elaborate base to operate out of, which was irrelevant to me because I was using Legacy of the Dragonborn and had a superior safehouse. If you want a one-stop all-you-need house, ICoW's Arch-mage quarters are decent.

You haven't unsold me quite yet. Maybe if there was a better alternative. What about Obscure's College of Winterhold?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Apologies, but I'm still somewhat lost when it comes to putting together the load order. I'm not even sure how much I need to worry about it using Mod Organizer 2. Loading prerequisites before the mod I'm using them for is straightforward, and Realistic Water Two mentioned putting it below anything which changes cells near water, but other than that, I'm a little unclear if I need to worry about anything else.

I need SSELODGen for Skyrim HD, but I'm not sure where to put it.

The load order I THINK is probably okay ( but I have no idea):
  • Skyrim Script Extender
  • Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
  • Modern Brawl Bugs Patch
  • XShadowmanX’s DLL Loader
  • Skyrim Skill Uncapper
  • Sky UI
  • Apocalypse Magic of Skyrim
  • SPERG
  • Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes (for Complete Crafting Overhaul)
  • Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered
  • A Quality World Map
  • Updated Categorized Favorites
  • Cutting Room Floor SE
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma
  • Even Better Quest Objectives
  • Obscure's College of Winterhold
  • Thieves Guild Requirements
  • Vivid Weathers
  • Blended Roads
  • Medieval Bridges
  • Realistic Water Two
  • SSELODGen (How do I use this?
  • Static Mesh Improvement Mod
  • Skyrim HD
  • Skyrim Flora Overhaul
  • Acquisitive Soul Gems Multithreaded
  • Reduce Compass Range
  • Dwemer Compass

Is Skyrim HD compatible with Vivid Weathers and Skyrim Flora Overhaul?

I also hadn't considered how much these could potentially screw up the game performance. I suppose I can check after leaving Helgen, and quit and disable some parts if it looks like it's lagging.

I've got an i7-4770 processor, 32 GB of Ram, and a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card. My OS is on a SSD, but the game is on a standard hard drive. Does that sound like it'll be enough to run Special Edition with all those graphic enhancement mods?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This is like the Xeno's Paradox of modding. I complete a few steps and suddenly, more steps appear ahead!

Do I need to worry about SSEEdit (Quick Auto Clean)? I don't think I bothered with that five years ago. Okay, I run it, and I auto-clean Update.esm, and it goes all the way through and to the end, and it produces some records, but I have no flippin' idea what to do with those, nor can I then seem to tell it to clean another DLC like Hearthfire without completely quitting SSEEdit and starting it up again. Did that undo the work "cleaning" Update.esm? I don't know.

EDIT: No, I'm not trying to clean more than one mod at a time. I'm saying that it seems to finish doing whatever it was doing, and I am unclear on the next steps. I'll read that just-linked tutorial.

quote:

3. Allow xEdit to completely load (indicated by the phrase "Background Loader: Finished" at the bottom of the screen).
4. Right-click on any plugin shown.
5. In the right-click menu, select Other -> Options.
6. In the window that appears, uncheck Simple Records LAND, NAVI, NAVM, CELL, WRLD (Requires Restart).
7. Click OK.
8. Exit xEdit.

Okay, so quitting and starting up again is correct. Good to know.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 11, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I wanted to try using "Bounty Gold SSE", for scaling of the bounty quest rewards, but it's supposed to have a SkyUI menu plugin, and it's not showing up. The only thing the posts on the Nexus say is that it might be a conflict with "Even Better Quest Objectives SE", but the steps I took to try and resolve it didn't. (Disable both, save, then enable both). Right now Bounty Gold SSE is disabled.

Of course, one possible cause might be that I never actually cleaned any of the plugins. I got to the part where Mod Manager says "There are files in your overwrite directory", but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do after that point. Something about making a new blank mod and dragging the overwrite files in, but that didn't seem to do anything productive. (At that point I said "screw it" and started playing anyway.)

I also wanted to install Follower Commentary Overhaul, but that seems to have a Form 43 issue. I fixed that issue with A Quality World Map by loading and saving the mod, but I'm not sure if that'll fix it in this case.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

Do you have the script extender?

Of course. That's required by a bunch of mods including SkyUI. And I am putting it in below "Even Better Quest Objectives SE" in the load order like it says to do.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just made one (not published yet) which slightly tweaks the distance location icons appear on the compass, because I couldn't stand using bashkov's Reduce Compass Range any more.

The lowest change to bashkov's compass range, what he called "Medium" was a 70% cut in range, which meant that you could plainly see the structure well before the icon showed up. Mine uses the settings of Xrande's version for Legendary Edition, which is only a 40% cut in range. It still cuts down on the marker spam substantially, but it doesn't blind the compass to that extreme. Things do still show up from fairly far, so I'll probably also make a second version which splits the difference to a 55% cut in range.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A couple of questions.

I'm looking for some mods that enhance Thievery and/or the Thieves Guild quests. Any recommendations (or cautions on things to avoid)?

Is Shenk’s Thievery Overhaul compatible with Thieves Guild for Good Guys?

I’m also looking for a mod that makes dungeons a lot darker or even removes lights from areas uninhabited and unvisited by people. That would make spells like Candle/Magelight more useful. ...However, If I get one of those, I’d also probably want some kind of Night-Eye spell for sneaky characters so I don’t have to be forced into being Kahjiit, which works with those. I'm also not sure if a "no lights mod" would end up being too tedious or ruin the aesthetics.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh good, I pressed the wrong button in Mod Organizer 2 and apparently wiped out all my saved games (or rather, the game can no longer see them). That's nice.

I wanted to start a new character, but the profile was apparently set up as Default. I wanted to make a new character use a different set of mods, so I opened up the profiles panel. I made the mistake of checking "Use profile-specific Save Games", but even after unchecking, I can't see them.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 20, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Raygereio posted:

Did you switch profiles?

Yes. Selecting the other one showed them up again. But I'm sure it had been set to "Default" and not the other one, which is why it seemed to have vanished.

EDIT: Yep, still hosed up. That mistake I made confused something. The list of plugins loaded and unloaded changed, and now it thinks a really important one I had loaded isn't. (Obscure's College of Winterhold.)

I think I'm better off just scrapping these saves and starting over, I was starting to get overleveled (32) and bored.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 20, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Bah, "Thieves Guild for Good Guys" won't work. It's another "Form 43 plugin", but when I try to open it up in the editor, it says "Multiple ESM's selected for load. Cannot load." or something like that. Well, I suppose it's not strictly necessary.

I have other mods to try and test anyway. I made a no-mods save before leaving Helgen Keep, and another no-mods save in Riverwood right after getting "Go tell the Jarl of Whiterun" quest, so if there are problems I can use those to go back.

EDIT: gently caress THIS BULLSHIT.

Okay, so important loving lesson. Never, ever, ever - under ANY circumstances EVER - select the awful "use profile-specific Save Games" option. It's a trap designed entirely to gently caress YOU OVER. If you use that, you cannot actually change your mod settings in any way. You cannot load a game which had no mods whatsoever installed, because that doesn't match the current saved games settings, lol! You can ONLY load games which exactly match.

It's not like I lost much progress, only reaching Riverwood and clearing out Embershard Mine, and I was going to redo everything after Riverwood as well. It's just annoying that I have to re-do all of Helgen. Again. (No, I am not going to install "Live another Life/Alternate Start" or whatever.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 20, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
One of the changes I made to the load order is making parts of the College of Winterhold flicker, as if two versions are trying to be displayed at once.

It has to be something in these. I tried moving Obscure's below the ELFX stuff but that did nothing.

"0019","+","Night-Eye Overhaul v1.3.1"
<snip>
"0039","+","Thieves Guild For Good Guys - Taking Care of Business Redux"
"0041","+","Shenk Thievery Overhaul SE"

"0042","+","Obscure's College of Winterhold"
"0043","+","Enhanced Lights and FX"
"0044","+","Unofficial ELFX SMIM fps performance patch"

EDIT: Enhanced Lights and FX was the culprit. I disabled it, loaded my "0 mods loaded" save with everything except ELFX installed and teleported there and the problem didn't appear. ELFX is not on Obscure's list of compatible mods. I guess I should use one which is on the list.

Maybe it's not worth trying to fix. I don't really intend to spend much time here, I largely came for the free storage students get, which is important for stashing my stolen goods until I can meet the TG requirements and finally fence it.

Probably modding unrelated, but I also badly need either a better strategy or a plan for what to do if my first dagger strike doesn't finish an enemy. I'm level 12 and just have a dinky boring (Fine) Steel dagger, no enchantments on it at all, and a Ancient Nord Bow with a few Iron arrows, and some bottles of poison that deal 11 to 16 damage. That's it. That's my offensive capacity. I doubt I'll be able to take down any more dragons. My Defense is just some Calm and Fury spells, and level 50+ Sneak, and some armor taken from a Dark Brotherhood assassin (who came after me when all I did was return a golden claw. Hadn't even killed a Dragon yet).

Maybe I should also look into a mod that reduces Sneak XP by 75% and maybe one which increases Pickpocket XP, because I've Pickpocketed like 6 people and the bar has barely budged at all - and that's with a lot of cheating (aka reloading), meanwhile my Sneak has gone up by 30 points.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm in it for the coin, not the killing. It just so happens that a lot of the coin is stuck behind a bunch of attacks-on-sight bandits or Draugr which need shanking, instead of a bunch of people who never did anything to me. I guess my best option is to keep dungeon crawling until I get weapon upgrades. I'm overdue for a Dwarven Dagger at the very least. Or else I could stop being stubborn and use my native Dunmer skill (baseline Destruction: 25) and blast people as my second resort.

I actually have the Skill Uncapper already as a requirement for SPERG.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I found my problem with Obscure's college glitching - it was "Enhanced Lights and FX". I verified by removing it (and it's FPS performance patch) from my list of mods, loading my "no mods at all" save and teleporting to the college to check. I think the best thing to do with my Dark Elf is simply to toss in some Destruction magic. Explosive Runes are always good for a laugh, and I'm using SPERG, so I have the "Quiet Casting" perk which makes the audio element of spells undetectable.

Is it safe to uninstall ELFX if I just go to the middle of nowhere and do it? The Nexus page doesn't say anything about uninstalling.

EDIT: Reading back a few pages in the comments on the Nexus, uninstalling was described as "just delete all the files", and disabling the mod in Mod Manager seems to have done it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

I just want to here all about these adventures. They're so pure :allears:

That was just a facetious way of saying "I don't want to join the Dark Brotherhood with this character." I mean, I did just mention using "Thieves Guild For Good Guys".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Warning: Non-modding related, possibly boring post below.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Oh I meant the other stuff. I haven't given a poo poo about looking for a weapon upgrade or my racial skill bonuses for a long time because I basically just play this game to try out character concepts and new mods and beeline straight to where I can get easy skill ups or good items. Really, I barely play the actual game at this point :v:

Apologies, I thought you were taking a jab at my seeming hypocrisy for creating a thief whose MO is slitting the throats of bandits but doesn't want to join the DB. (Admittedly, it wouldn't be entirely unfair. But given the events of recent months, I both want to go outside and also harmlessly exhaust some frustrations on digital characters.)

My adventuring seems more pure because it's been like 5 years since I last played, so I've had plenty of time to forget enough so that this seems fairly fresh.

If you want some adventures, I wanted my new character to be a thief with a fair bit of skill with Illusions. The best race for "Magic Using Thief" is Dark Elf, which has bonuses to some skills in both directions. I had wanted to do the first part of the Winterhold quests mostly for the free storage students get, which I need because you can't unload stolen items until you're in the guild, I need to steal 250 items, and keeping it all on my person would weigh me down impossibly. (The other part of the reason for doing Saarthal was the normally-useless Magelight staff, which I intended to use with the lighting mod I had that makes dungeons a lot darker, but it wasn't compatible with Obscure's Winterhold College and I had to swap it.)

It took around 20 quickloads for the "randomly selected" skill Faralda wants to test you on for admission to come up Firebolt. I wanted that one as some kind of offense for when sneaking doesn't work, and even though I started with Flames and Healing, I have not used either of them once. I snagged some rune spells from her before heading to Saarthal, and those were desperately needed against a Draugr Scourge, which my dagger was garbage at. I got it to chase me in a circle while I used runes to play hide-and-blow up until it was weak enough to shank.

There's also a Frost Dragon on the edge of spawning nearby, and all I have to take it on with is an Elven bow and a Firebolt spell, so that'll be interesting. (I got a second Elven Bow which I hope to melt down and forge an Elven dagger.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Okay, so after finally reaching 250 stolen items, I go back to talk to Brynjolf and I cannot start the quest to join. Is Thieves Guild Requirements not compatible at all with Thieves Guild For Good Guys? Either that or one or both mods are busted pieces of junk. Hard to say.

I made the mistake of talking to Brynjolf on my first trip through Riften, before reaching 250 stolen items, and now I do not get any options at all to join. Just "no thanks". My last save before talking to him is quite some time ago. I am not pleased.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Skwirl posted:

Thieves guild for good guys adds an option to basically tell him to gently caress off forever, did you accidentally pick that option the first time?

No, the conversation ended after the discussion of wealth. No "gently caress off" option to pick because we never got into the whole "do you want to make some money" part. Loading my old save and lowering the requirements to 150 does work, but that was a really old save. Hmmm... maybe there's some console command to reset the quest status back to "not started"?

EDIT: ResetQuest TG00

That seems to have done it. I'm in.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 25, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I guess Shenk's Thievery Overhaul is one of the (apparently many) things which breaks "Blood on the Ice". I had intended to complete it because a serial killer on the loose means a bunch of jumpy guards on patrol. But none of the normal triggers in the house exist for the investigation. I suspect it's related to the new "To Windhelm Walls" trapdoor installed inside even the non-player-owned version of Hjerm. It's not a big deal if it can't be completed.

EDIT: I had the wrong mod. Thieves Guild for Good Guys was the culprit.

Obscure's College of Winterhold has compatibility patches for some other mods that make Winterhold a little less of a wreck (The Great City of Winterhold and Winterhold Restored). Has anyone played with OCW and either of those other two city of Winterhold mods and can confirm they work together. Also, and more importantly, are either or both recommended? Winterhold Restored looks to have the most stuff, but GCoW somewhat looks to reflect the city it once was but is no longer.

Non-Modding gameplay story:

After sleeping in Autumnwatch Tower, some Hired Thugs came by to attack me for apparently stealing from the Dawnguard court mage. (I probably did it, but I don't recall.) I slipped away, then went stealth. I didn't kill them or hurt them at all, I simply pickpocketed all their gold, the contract out on me. The next time I was in Dawnguard, I stalked the court mage, and on her way back from the Mythic Dawn museum, there was a brief window of her travel not covered by guard patrols. I snuck up behind her, and reverse-pickpocketed into her inventory the contract she took out on my life and a steel dagger - as a warning not to try that again.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 28, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Orange Crush Rush posted:

While Blood on the Ice is (hilariously) easy to break, are you sure it's just not triggering normally? I've had runs where I first went to Windhelm before level 5 and it wouldn't start until I was like 30. It's just really random, plus you have to enter Windhelm past 8:00 pm for a chance to trigger it.

The quest triggered, I started the investigation, talked to the witnesses and the coroner, followed the blood trail, and I'm at the part where I need to go to Hjerm and poke around for clues. I did this quest on another character no more than a week ago. Then, I got prompts to investigate various things in the house - most red herrings, some clues. I cannot interact with any of them this time, not even the really vital parts. There is a trapdoor in the house which was definitely not there last time. (Neither lockpicking my way in or getting the key makes a difference.)

(I'm not an experienced modder, but I was under the impression that the Hjerm with the vital quest was a different instance from the Hjerm which is a player residence, so it baffles me that the mod would break the quest rather than only modify the player home version. ...ESPECIALLY since I don't think you can get it to be a player home until solving the murder at all.) EDIT: Okay, it is the same instance, so never mind. I suppose Bethesda did it that way to save on memory or something. Or who knows why.

If I really want, I can attempt to short-circuit the quest by pickpocketing the killer's key or outright getting rid of them, but that feels a little cheap. (Before you say "you did it for the Thieves Guild", that was because "Joining the Thieves Guild" was the entire point of this character.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 26, 2020

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Like I said, I finished it perfectly fine last week.

I just tried talking to Viola first to see if I can trigger the alternate path (she investigates with you). That didn't work, presumably because I didn't talk to her earlier. I also tried "setstage MS11 60". That didn't work because the problem wasn't getting that part of the quest to trigger: The "Look For Clues" stage triggers perfectly, it's just that there are no longer prompts to interact with to find said clues. (Seriously, why not just put the trapdoor outside the house?)

Anyway, I'm probably going to do the Civil War questline on at least one future character, but I recall finding it repetitive and underwhelming. I'm sure there is a good recommended mod to improve the Civil War quests for one or both sides.

Since I never actually played Dawnguard or Dragonborn, I should get around to that. I'll probably combine that with the Companions + Dawnguard for Anti-Vampire action (and probably Dark Brotherhood for pro-Vampire action), so recommendations for improvements to those questlines would be nice.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It turns out my problem with "Blood on the Ice" had nothing to do with Shenk's Thievery Overhaul at all. The actual culprit was "Thieves Guild For Good Guys", specifically "QF_MS11_0001F7A3.pex" in the Scripts directory. Rename that file when you want to do that quest, you can put it back the way it was later.

EDIT:
There is an interesting quirk with that quest and Shenk's, though. I decided to take advantage of the rooftops to try and keep an eye out for the killer on the streets while staying above - with the intent to snipe them with the bow if I saw anything. From the roof I could watch the killer not-at-all-subtly follow their intended victim around, but when it came to the climactic moment, the victim instead took a different route and the killer didn't make their move. I think something in the navmesh for that part doesn't work properly if you're on the rooftop zone. I went down to ground level for the final part and then it worked properly (not counting my several bungled attempts at shooting them from about 15 feet).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 28, 2020